Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
52 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had been contacted by a recruiter from Amazon for a job I had applied to about 2 months earlier. She said a new position had opened up and asked if I was still interested. This was for a software development manager.

I had 2 phone screens (1 with the hiring manager, and 1 with a sr. software developer on the team). Nothing too out of the ordinary - some high level architecture questions and some open ended behavioral questions.

I didn't think anything would come from it, but shortly after the second phone screen, they asked if I could fly out to Seattle for in-person interviews (I live right outside of Washington DC). I set that up for the following week (they use a travel agency, so it's pretty straightforward).

The process was very well set up and everyone seemed pretty laid back and professional. The first person I talked for about 30 minutes was an hr manager. He explained that how Amazon interviews is different than most other companies. Instead of bringing in 3 or 4 candidates for a position then picking one, Amazon first wants to know if you're a good fit for the company. If you are, then they try and match you with a position that seems to be the best fit. So they are really hiring you for the company more than the specific position. And he also mentioned (as did a few of the other people I talked to), that it is pretty easy to move around within the company if you want a new or different challenge at some point.

The interview day is fairly intense - I met with 7 different people (1:1). The types of questions were similar to what I had experienced in the phone screens. A lot of behavioral type questions: "tell me about a time a project failed... got behind schedule... how did you handle it". They are really looking for how you deal with various situations. There were also some architecture and systems design questions.

My interview day was on Wednesday and they called the following day to offer my a position. Instead of a software development manager, they liked me for a technical program manager position. After looking at the job description, this really did make a lot of sense (I have managed software teams in the past, but also have a lot of project management experience). So I thought they did a good job of matching me to the right position (I talked a lot about project management processes, client management, planning, etc. during the interviews).

All in all, it was a positive experience. One thing I would have changed was the location of the hotel. The travel agent put me outside of city (This was not Amazon's fault). Not being familiar with Seattle, I didn't realize how inconvenient it would be to get around (and I stayed an extra day after the interview to check out the city). I would strongly recommend that if they offer to fly you out and put you up in a hotel, that you make sure to get a room in downtown Seattle. Minor detail - but worth noting.

Interview Question – There was not one question that stood out as being most difficult. I would say just be very prepared to talk about past projects and give specifics about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating the offer as I write this.

Software Development Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter after posting resume on Monster. Scheduled a one hour phone interview a week and a half later. Phone interview lasted almost exactly one hour with the first 15 minutes focusing on my experience and the last 45 minutes focusing on design questions related to products and services. Amazon focuses on proving success, which I did not have much experience in.

Interview Question – Design a mobile application for a group of Amazon employee's that need to track down "downed" Amazon drones.
Design a feature for Amazon Cloud music services.
  Answer Question

Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – You will be given lots of behavior based leadership questions . The problem is the interviewers are engineers who interview manager for leadership. This does not make any sense as they need to grow themselves first.

Interview Question – Design car rental system   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview Details – After reviewing my resume, I was invited to a phone interview-about an hour long. This was with another software dev manager. This was a mix of managerial and technical questions. Within a few days I was invited to on-site interviews. It took awhile to schedule this, as many people interview you and they need to coordinate all their schedules.

You need to sign an NDA for the on-site interview, so there's a lot I can't discuss. The on-site interview was long (6-7 hours), but you get bathroom breaks and food. The interviewers were pleasant people. The interviewers were a mix of developers and managers. The questions tended to be high-level systems design and behavioral ("tell me about..").

The lower-level technical questions came in the phone interview. The recruiter does try to prepare you in advance for some of the questions you may receive during the day. The interview process appears to be more scripted than others I have experienced. There are pros and cons to this approach. I suspect this is one reason why they have you sign an NDA.

Overall, I thought I did pretty well and thought I stood a good chance at getting an offer, but that's not how it turned out. In thinking about it, there were 1 or 2 interviews where I didn't give very good answers. That may have been my downfall. It can take many days to get results of your on-site interview.

Interview Question – Before the NDA, I was surprised to get questions on Big-O notation. The last time I saw that was in college.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – 2 round of phone interview, then was invited to on-site 6 rounds interview. the whole process is very smooth and pretty professional, people are very nice. there are lots of example questions to ask you tell about your past experience and some open questions on their new business

Interview Question – open questions on their new business and service, tell them your opinion and how to improve and verify the new service idea is workable or not   Answer Question

Software Development Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied via website. The first response was within a few days from the HR people. This was followed by several emails to set up a technical phone interview. This occurred within a week, and was from a technical manager in the Seattle area. The entire phone interview process took about 45 minutes. I did not get an offer, and the response was fairly fast -- within 2 days of the phone interview.

Interview Question – The phone interview began with a general discussion about the position, the company (Amazon), and my background. This was followed with a test question, asking what would I do if you was in charge of a web-based e-commerce company selling shoes online. In this hypothetical scenario, the marketing dept ran an ad for a few products offering 2-for-1. The website had slowed to a crawl, but overnight had returned to normal. What would I do?   View Answer

Software Development Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I was solicited out of the blue by a call from Amazon. I was contacted by email by one recruiter who redirected me to another recruiter once I showed interest. I had a phone interview with this second recruiter to discuss the typical stuff of what I was currently doing, about the job, and why I would be interested. He then routed me to a third recruiter who handled the scheduling of the technical phone interview. I was interviewed by a developer on the team I believe. I was interviewing for a manager spot so most of the questioning was more theoretical, but we did get into some of the details of programming.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – a mix of technical, managerial and behavior questions, make sure to prepare for stories to show case your customer focus

Interview Question – asked for stories to show customer focus   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Quick process. 2 Phone Screens followed by On Campus Interviews by 8 Amazon members

Interview Question – Not difficult. Mostly common sense.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Quick. Good compensation

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – Attended a hiring event in Seattle. Met with five people, individually, 45 minutes each. Questions were mostly behavior interview sorts of questions. I was asked to do a quick design. I was relaxed; the interview flowed well. Some of the questions were sort of philosophical - "What is management?" None were especially technical.

Interview Question – They did spent a lot of time probing "which do you like to do better, programming or management." My last position was as an individual contributor although I had a lot of experience with technical management before that.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Development Manager interview questions and advice. All 52 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.