Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was originally contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. After responding I was able to set up an appointment. Amazon was conducting a series of interviews in NYC which lasted about half a day. There were 5 interviewers (including HR) and the interview process and questions were almost identical to those defined in Cracking the Coding Interview. This was my first interview in 7 years and I have to say they did a great job of making me feel comfortable during the process. My previous experiences weren't all that great.

Interview Question – Most of the questions weren't all that difficult and there was very little pressure in solving them. The point was really to see the process of arriving at your answer. The most difficult question was to explain the cardinality of depth first and breadth first search and explain how the algorithms could be written. I actually missed that one as I haven't looked at a text book in years. The question I remembered most was the one about having 2 eggs and dropping them off a 100 story building to determine at what floor they begin to break. What is the least amount of attempts required to determine this answer?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online last summer and got replied by a recruiter asking me to finish an online assessment. There were three problems. The first one is to check whether the linked-list has a loop. The second one is to find the top five test scores for each student while giving me a list of students and their scores. The last one is also an easy linked list problem.
About one week after the online assessment. I got an onsite interview opportunity in Seattle.

The onsite interview has four rounds and the questions were all coding questions excluding OOD and system design. The team that interviewed me is the kindle team that focused on asking me questions about data structures. I remember the first question was to build a comparator that sorts the given strings. The second is to reverse a listed list. The next interviewer gave me a scheduling problem. I don't remember the details but I used a priority queue to solve it. The last interview question is to give you several points on a 2D plane and find the nearest 500 points near one given point.

Interview Question – Nothing very hard.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I had 2 phone interviews with Amazon. I was invited to in-person interview after the first one that lasted about 2 hours. Couldn't go to Seattle at that time, so I declined. Recently, I had interviewed over the phone/online coding again. Haven't heard back yet, perhaps it's not been long enough. I feel their phone and online interview is a fair game for entry level position, consisting mostly of testing of general knowledge of data structures and algorithms. Trees, hash tables, list, algorithms used on them. I felt the interviews were testing knowledge of this subject matter mostly and questions were how to optimize/improve the algorithm also. Nothing too tricky or unusual. They didn't care which language one would use either.

Interview Question – Write implementation of a data structure online   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Had 3 technical phone interviews followed by an onsite in OC. Amazon flew me out and I had full day of interviews including a lunch interview. Interviews were mostly technical but included OOP design and team skills. I had originally been interviewing for a SDET position in Seattle but after expressing interest in possibly working in other locations including OC, I was switched to applying for an available position there. Most communication was via email and I was informed whether I would be continuing to the next step within 4 business days of my interviews.

Interview Question – Reverse the order (left to right) of all nodes in a binary tree.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process is extremely quick. I had a phone interview with HR, another phone interview the next day with a dev, and flew out the next Friday for an on-site. The entire process was very professional, and I was delighted that at the end I hadn't spoken to a single person with terrible English speaking skills (as is common in the industry).

The interviews are *extremely* easy for a top-tier tech company. Sadly I think they're far too easy, and a lot of not-so-good engineers get through.

Interview Question – The "most difficult" question I had was finding the intersection of two arrays. Seriously. The rest were even easier. I'm not kidding.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't a college hire so I was able to negotiate, if I had any advice to give it would be to not be afraid to ask for what you want.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to amazon months before until they actually contacted me. Im assuming they do seasonal recruiting since i applied near the summer into fall and i get contacted in the winter.
I had 2 phone interviews. Both interviewers were very nice and helped when they thought it was necessary in order for you to succeed. The first phone interview was not difficult if you read all the questions on glassdoor that people posted and read the cracking interview book that somone did suggest in the intervews tab list. The book was extremely helpful. the second interview was majority coding questions and at the end of each coding question the interviewer would ask time complexities. After I ended the phone interview i thought to myself i made like 4 mistakes answering the first question and knew i was doomed from that point on. I received the generic rejection letter one week after the second phone interview.

the interview process for me lasted roughly a month because i interviewed right before the christmas vacation

Interview Question – first interview had like 5 or 6 short questions followed by a coding question which was
sum of 2 numbers within one array adds up to a target number which you have as a parameter fairly easy question if you read all the interviews questions on glassdoor.
second phone interview had 2 questions
the first one was a find the kth node in a linkedlist and the second was to check a string for "(" and ")" and there are only so many combinations that are considered valid and invalid. Valid is if all the "(" have an ending ")" for example , (( )) or ()()
Invalid would be )()( or ((()
if the string starts with ) its automatically invalid.
second interviewer asked time complexities on both of the question.
  Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was called for a Project Interview. I was put in a team of unknown students and asked to solve a coding question, in a room full of other teams.

Writing code was important. I had only one face to face interview and expected some breaks.

Interview Question – I had a few glitches with equipment they provided. I lost a lot of time. The interviewers didn't apologize or acknowledge this.   Answer Question

Ithaca, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2012.

Interview Details – Just had first phone Interview. Asked a bunch of background questions to which I think I talked to much maybe...But then he immediately moved into a simple coding question and then into a pretty tricky one. I tried my best and I'm not sure if I got through both. Afterwards, just chatted about the environment, work, management opportunities, etc which were important to me.

Interview Questions

• Not really difficult - just reverse an integer of arrays and return it.   Answer Question
  • Given any string, find the index of the start of the first duplicated 3-letter subsequence. For example, in abcabcdef, it would be 0, and abcdefdef would be 3, and then abcdefkajdkffatabcdef would be 0, and abcdefkajdkffatdef would be 3.   View Answers (2)

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – The interviewing process took about 4 weeks. There were 2 technical phone interviews followed by an on site visit that consisted of 6 technical in person interviews. They focus almost exclusively on your ability to manipulate data structures, design good object oriented code and solve basic/intermediate puzzles.

Given an arbitrary list of points and a point x, interpolate it's y value based on the two closest points to it in the list.

Given a Singly Linked List write the code to reverse it in place.

Given two Singly Linked Lists how do you find where they intersect. What if you can design the nodes? What if you can't design the nodes?

Design an in memory file/directory system. You must be able to open, modify and delete files/directories.

Interview Questions

• Write the code to read in characters from a file and print out the top 10 most used. What if they are 32 bit characters? What if it's a 4GB file and you only have 1GB of ram?   Answer Question
  • If you have a binary tree and want to send it to a mobile device, how would you do it? Write the code to create the flattened tree and to recreate the tree once flattened.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter from Amazon sent me an email saying that somebody has identified me as a potential candidate. The phone interview took 50 mins. Only one question, given a listed list and an integer, find two numbers in the list that sum to the given number; I was asked to code and also give the test cases. The question was straight forward, but the interviewer asked me to tell him the code exactly word by word (character by character). This took a lot of time. In the end, he asked if I have any questions. That's it.

Interview Question – Given a listed list and an integer, find two numbers in the list that sum to the given number (Test cases)   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.