Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – 1. Phone screen
2. Invited to a hiring event (onsite) - 4 rounds

Negotiation Details – The offer is so generous and great, but there is not much room for negotiation. Anyway, I'm satisfied with the offer.

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online and selected by the recruiter to do an onsite group project interview. No phone screen or online test beforehand. The format is that there are 3 people in a team to do a project together. It is a simple version of a problem that Amazon is facing. You are provided with c/c++, java, python skeleton code. You have 5 hours to finish it.

Interview Question – Have two discus sion with the interviewer. Mainly about how you design the code and how you resolve the problem   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – A 45-min phone interview with an Indian interviewer. There was only one coding problem. Just ask about return the total sum of a tree

Interview Question – There is no unexcepted question   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

Interview Details – Had four 1:1 rounds each digging on specific areas of data structures and algorithms. Had a managerial question. I guess that was the bar raiser

Interview Question – There is an error with the price displayed on the site. 1000s of people have bought it at that discounted price. How will you tackle that situation.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – 1. How to validate a BST
2. Remove duplicate characters from a string
3. A lot of OO design questions never heard of!

Interview Question – how to design a neutral system   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2010.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews over 2 weeks - 1 per week. Could have gone faster, but I didn't want to take too much time off work. And followed by a day of on-site interviews.

Most of the questions were about problem solving, and a lot of the problems were about the problems the team has faced in the past, and so were about how to go about building scalable systems, or removing bottlenecks. Some algorithms / data structure / OO-design questions were mixed in as well.

Two non-technical interviews - one with the hiring manager over lunch, just getting a feel for each other, and one with the Amazon recruiter at the end of the day, talking about Amazon's compensation structure, and other benefits.

Interview Question – How would you go about making a case for rolling back a feature?   Answer Question

Software Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my CV through the amazon recruiting system (applying for a particular job offering). Within 2 weeks a recruiter contacted me to schedule a phone interview. The first phone interview was with a software engineer, who was very kind and comprehensive. The first interview lasted about 1 1/2 hour and I was asked about algorithmic time complexity, reverse a linked list, traverse a tree, design patterns, and object oriented design. At the end of the interview I was asked to provide code for a problem the engineer send me. I had about 5 hours to submit my solution (java code) via email.

One week later a second phone interview was scheduled with another software engineer. The interview lasted about 1 hour and covered algorithmic time complexity, tree manipulation, sorting algorithms, object oriented design, SQL joins, etc. At the end of the interview I was asked to review a code snippet that contained errors/ bad practices. I had 24 hours to submit my solution via email.

For two weeks the recruiter went silent until I asked about the status of my application. I was then invited to an on-site interview. The onsite interview lasted about 6 hours, and I had 6 1:1 interviews with technical and non technical interviewers. The first two interviews were about cultural fit and motivation. My advice for cultural fit and motivation, know very well why are you applying, what's your history (of employment) and your details with respect to customer relationship. You should absolutely know the amazon core values!

The 4 reminder interviews were very technical in nature. The first was about solving a recursion problem. The second was about solving a large sorting problem and provide a regexp parser. The third was software architecture / technology in general. The final interview was object oriented design, design patterns, and design experience.

Contrarily to other interviews posted here, I had no lunch interview. Instead I had a lunch break and I had to pay for my own lunch.

The interviewers were at all moment very kind and comprehensive. They always tried to help my sort out the problems when I got stuck. Overall, the interviews were challenging, but none of the problems were unsolvable. Studying from "cracking the coding interview" and "programming interviews exposed" helped me a lot. I think that all the questions the interviewer asked me can be found here (with a few modifications), however nerves can betray you even if you think that you know the problem.

One week after the interview I was contacted by the head recruiter who gave me the good news that I passed the interviews and they were interested in extending me an offering.

Interview Question – Prepare using available interview books. Sleep well the night before, and be calm.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation, their offering is final (as a company policy). Anyway, the offering was very generous (above the local market).

Bangalore (India)

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1st round - telephonic for about an hour

1) Brief introduction.
2) Tell me how would you store a large number of integers - data structures . Related questions on linked list, binary tree and hash table and the complexity in all.
3) On a tree given a number X find if there is a route from head to last leaf where total of the data is X.

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2009.

Interview Details – The interview normally is a extermes, you will either do very well or very bad.
The questions asked are normally from the internet.
Nothing new about it.

There would be some design questions too.
Also some overly confident interviiewers ask about JVM

Interview Question – 1. Design an ordering system.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very less negotiation.

Software Engineer II

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews. They care about OO Design very much. In both interviews, they asked about challenged projects, C++/Java questions, describe algorithms, reading code over the phone, and at last OOD.

Interview Question – Elevator design   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Engineer II interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.