Amazon.com Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2014

3.6

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Did two phone interviews. The first was a pre-screening programming test in which they asked me to take a function that traverse through a list and point out all the flaws. Most of the flaws were related to lookup inefficiency, big O notation stuff.

The second phone interview asked me to write a function that contacts an Amazon server and asks for the competitors prices and returns a list with the competitor prices and names. From there I had to find the the competitor with the lowest price efficiently. Also, afterwards they ask about big O notation and how data structures work behind the scenes.

Interview Questions
  • They asked me what I should do to check if the call to the Amazon server to get the list of prices fails.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

1. Phone screen
    2. Invited to a hiring event (onsite) - 4 rounds

The offer is so generous and great, but there is not much room for negotiation. Anyway, I'm satisfied with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

I submitted my resume online and selected by the recruiter to do an onsite group project interview. No phone screen or online test beforehand. The format is that there are 3 people in a team to do a project together. It is a simple version of a problem that Amazon is facing. You are provided with c/c++, java, python skeleton code. You have 5 hours to finish it.

Interview Questions
    • Have two discus sion with the interviewer. Mainly about how you design the code and how you resolve the problem   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

First had a phone screening with HR rep. Then had 45-minute technical interview over telephone. The phone interview began with some questions about my experience, then went into theoretical questions, then ended with a written problem.

Software Engineer II Interview

A 45-min phone interview with an Indian interviewer. There was only one coding problem. Just ask about return the total sum of a tree

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2011.

Had four 1:1 rounds each digging on specific areas of data structures and algorithms. Had a managerial question. I guess that was the bar raiser

Interview Questions
    • There is an error with the price displayed on the site. 1000s of people have bought it at that discounted price. How will you tackle that situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

1. How to validate a BST
    2. Remove duplicate characters from a string
    3. A lot of OO design questions never heard of!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2010.

Two phone interviews over 2 weeks - 1 per week. Could have gone faster, but I didn't want to take too much time off work. And followed by a day of on-site interviews.

Most of the questions were about problem solving, and a lot of the problems were about the problems the team has faced in the past, and so were about how to go about building scalable systems, or removing bottlenecks. Some algorithms / data structure / OO-design questions were mixed in as well.

Two non-technical interviews - one with the hiring manager over lunch, just getting a feel for each other, and one with the Amazon recruiter at the end of the day, talking about Amazon's compensation structure, and other benefits.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about making a case for rolling back a feature?   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

It was well done. Advice: Keep track of the time, maybe it is better to talk less to have more time to solve programming tasks? I didn't get feedback as to whether I solve the task right, which is something to expect, but also whether I was understood. Interviewers did not (or seemed not to have) read my resume. They would let me know the outcome in 2 weeks after final interview. The interview process varies, as most of that I read in other reviews does not apply to my case.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that would offend you. No freaky/surprising questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

I submitted my CV through the amazon recruiting system (applying for a particular job offering). Within 2 weeks a recruiter contacted me to schedule a phone interview. The first phone interview was with a software engineer, who was very kind and comprehensive. The first interview lasted about 1 1/2 hour and I was asked about algorithmic time complexity, reverse a linked list, traverse a tree, design patterns, and object oriented design. At the end of the interview I was asked to provide code for a problem the engineer send me. I had about 5 hours to submit my solution (java code) via email.

One week later a second phone interview was scheduled with another software engineer. The interview lasted about 1 hour and covered algorithmic time complexity, tree manipulation, sorting algorithms, object oriented design, SQL joins, etc. At the end of the interview I was asked to review a code snippet that contained errors/ bad practices. I had 24 hours to submit my solution via email.

For two weeks the recruiter went silent until I asked about the status of my application. I was then invited to an on-site interview. The onsite interview lasted about 6 hours, and I had 6 1:1 interviews with technical and non technical interviewers. The first two interviews were about cultural fit and motivation. My advice for cultural fit and motivation, know very well why are you applying, what's your history (of employment) and your details with respect to customer relationship. You should absolutely know the amazon core values!

The 4 reminder interviews were very technical in nature. The first was about solving a recursion problem. The second was about solving a large sorting problem and provide a regexp parser. The third was software architecture / technology in general. The final interview was object oriented design, design patterns, and design experience.

Contrarily to other interviews posted here, I had no lunch interview. Instead I had a lunch break and I had to pay for my own lunch.

The interviewers were at all moment very kind and comprehensive. They always tried to help my sort out the problems when I got stuck. Overall, the interviews were challenging, but none of the problems were unsolvable. Studying from "cracking the coding interview" and "programming interviews exposed" helped me a lot. I think that all the questions the interviewer asked me can be found here (with a few modifications), however nerves can betray you even if you think that you know the problem.

One week after the interview I was contacted by the head recruiter who gave me the good news that I passed the interviews and they were interested in extending me an offering.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare using available interview books. Sleep well the night before, and be calm.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation, their offering is final (as a company policy). Anyway, the offering was very generous (above the local market).

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!