Amazon.com

Amazon.com Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

3.3

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Applied online, and got request from recruiter to do a code test about two months late.

Interview Questions
  • N/A. It turns out i'm not interested in development position so i told the recruiter to cancel the test.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer/In Test Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online. Heard back in a month in early January, and had two 45-min back-to-back phone interviews in late January. The interviews are technical. But the first interviewer had a strong accent that I couldn't understand some problems and had to ask him to say them again.

The first interview asked about my experience with Amazon.com, what I don't like and what I like. Then there were a couple of data structures problems on array, string and etc., regarding time complexity. Then he asked me to program online given a string, convert it to a number. Then test cases of the same problem.

The second interview was about graph. Given two nodes in a large relationship graph like Facebook, find the shortest path from one to another.

Interview Questions
    • Given two nodes in a large relationship graph like Facebook, find the shortest path from one to another.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

two round phone interview and on-site interview. Basically concerning OOP and algorithm. The interviewer is nice to talk with. The question is not too hard. Just be well prepared. It is one month later before I receive the second round phone interview. Don't hesitate to write a letter to the HR when you have not received any notification for half a month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2011.

I am in Dev but interviewed for SDET,

The thing which i did not answer correctly are Test questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2010.

1. What is Web Services?

2. The web service works fine when you initials the service. But it is getting slower and slower months later. How do you debug and troubleshoot the issue?
    Assume you identified the problem is in the backbend DB. How do you find out which query is slow?

3. The web service has a caculator function:
    public int Add(int a, int b)
    public int subtract (int a, int b)
    public int Divide(int a, int b)
    public int Multiply(int a, int b)

For example,
    Call Add (2, 5), it should return 7
    Call Divide (10, 3), it should return 3 and so on.

How do you test your calculator and ensure it return expected values?
    Note: pay attention to error handling and integer overflow issues.

4. Write a function that finds the substring within a string
    My solution:

public int Strstr(string o, string s)
            {
                if (o == null || s == null)
                    return -1;
                if (o.Length == 0 || s.Length == 0)
                if (o.Length < s.Length)
                int i = 0;
                int j = 0;
                int pos = -1;
                for (i = 0; i < o.Length; i++)
                    if (o[i] == s[j])
                        pos = j;
                        i++;
                        j++;
                    }
                    while (i < o.Length && j < s.Length)
                        if (o[i] == s[j])
                            i++;
                            j++;
                        else
                    return (i == o.Length && j != s.Length) ? -1 : pos;

not interested in test

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2010.

During the scheduled phone interview, the interviewer forgot about the appointment. I had to call HR back and they rescheduled my phone interview. During the phone interview, all the person asked was what types of things would you test for a search box. I listed the areas to test, but I kept being prompted for more test areas. I was not asked any coding related questions even though I had spent two weeks preparing for them.

Interview Questions
    • The search box question above seems to have no right answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2008.

The phone interview I had at Amazon was unlike any other I've had. First off, the company has employees who have very strong accents conduct phone interviews. I had to ask the interviewer to repeat what he said several times. The questions themselves were hard enough and not fully understanding the person made it even tougher. That appearently put him in a bad mood and he became rude to me over the phone and spoke in a very unprofessional manner.

Interview Questions
    • The data structure questions were difficult as they asked very low level details on hashes and such.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2008.

Went through 2 phone screens about a week apart. Both were more technical oriented asking about programming topics. I had to constantly follow up with the recruiter for follow up and about 2-3 weeks later scheduled for an onsite interview. Interview went as I expected but some of the questions I could have prepared better. I knew I didn't do well when they let me go around noon without speaking with the hiring manager.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Applied for this position through school recruiting service. Amazon sent an interview team to my school and did on campus interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of unordered numbers, what would be the best algorithm to find the n largest numbers.   View Answers (2)