Amazon.com

3.1

89 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2011.

It consisted of 2 45 minutes back to back interviews. Both are skill questions.
The first interview consisted of a group of jobs in which some of them had dependencies, meaning that some had to be completed first before one could start. Think of this as a graph with pointing arrows. Create an algorithm that would spit out the most efficient/best job sequence. The result would be something along these lines: first job3, job4; second job1; third job5, job6, etc. What data structure would you use and how would you represent it? Explain it with pseudocode, then write it on code.
The second interview consisted of an expression tree. What structure would you use to represent this? Write code that would compute the result. Can you write it without using recursion? What's memory overhead?

Interview Questions
  • First Interview. What data structure to use, and how to solve the problem?   View Answer
  • Second Interview. Write code to compute result of expression binary tree? What's the time complexity?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied for the software engineering internship. I had back to back interviews, and then a final interview a couple weeks later.

The interviews were technical interviews, and they were very challenging. I could not figure out some of the question.

Interview Questions
    • There were some questions based on graph theory that were very simply stated, but required a very well-thought-out precise solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

On campus interview: Interviewed by two recruiters for 45 minutes each. Highly suggest you have a solid understanding of all basic data structures and algorithms. It is essential for surviving their interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They tend to ask questions about data structures and algorithms. They want you to think of the best possible solution and you must know your Big O notations.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online, got an email saying that they would like to set up an interview. I then had two 45 minute phone interviews. After that, they emailed me saying that I have made it to the third interview, which was another 45 minute interview, of same format. Two of the three interviews used collabedit, which is an online text editor (for programming) that lets the interviewer and interviewee to view/edit the same code. So they would ask a question, I would write the code, and they would see it and be able to assess me from it. The third interview was all verbal, but I was asked to write a short piece of code, that I emailed to them shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • Third interview asked me to talk about binary trees, designing a class hierarchy, running time of certain algorithms, usual technical stuff. Nothing extremely hard, just state your assumptions, talk through your thought process, and don't be afraid to say "give me a second to kind of think this through in my head". They really can't expect you to create the best algorithm, all things considered, in a matter of seconds!

I was surprised that there weren't any behavioral questions (e.g. 'Tell me about a time in which you had to .....').

Answer Question
    I negotiated nothing.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I had two 45 minute interview. Both of them were very technical and asked me multiple technical questions. I received the job offer around 10 days later.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find the second largest integer in an unsorted array? Write the code.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

I got a call from the recruiter about two screen interviews. They asked only coding questions, no behavioral questions at all. Time is not a big problem. There were two recruiters. Each of them asked two questions.

Interview Questions
    • One question was about how to find empty parking lot space in a parking lot.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

2 rounds, 3 questions each. Answered and coded all the three in first round. Second round was a little tricky. Answered 2 out of three, and coded kind of 1.5(was stuck in the syntax)

Interview Questions
    • given a pool(P) of co-ordinates (infinitely large), find the closest N to a given user co-ordinate   View Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Two 45-minute phone interviews in a row. Both interviews were mostly technical, a few questions about my background. I was able to solve the technical questions in the first interview fairly quickly, but my interviewer seemed preoccupied. The second interview was tougher, and I could not get my algorithm to linear time, which frustrated my interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Find two integers in an unsorted array that produced a certain sum in linear time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied from campus recruiting. Two 45 minute interview sessions. All technical, no questions about resume, behavioral skills, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Generate all possible solutions to an n by n sudoku board   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

I have had a phone interview with one of their software engineers and have been scheduled another phone interview in the next 2 days.