Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
88 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2011.

Interview Details – It consisted of 2 45 minutes back to back interviews. Both are skill questions.
The first interview consisted of a group of jobs in which some of them had dependencies, meaning that some had to be completed first before one could start. Think of this as a graph with pointing arrows. Create an algorithm that would spit out the most efficient/best job sequence. The result would be something along these lines: first job3, job4; second job1; third job5, job6, etc. What data structure would you use and how would you represent it? Explain it with pseudocode, then write it on code.
The second interview consisted of an expression tree. What structure would you use to represent this? Write code that would compute the result. Can you write it without using recursion? What's memory overhead?

Interview Questions

• First Interview. What data structure to use, and how to solve the problem?   View Answer
  • Second Interview. Write code to compute result of expression binary tree? What's the time complexity?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I applied for the software engineering internship. I had back to back interviews, and then a final interview a couple weeks later.

The interviews were technical interviews, and they were very challenging. I could not figure out some of the question.

Interview Question – There were some questions based on graph theory that were very simply stated, but required a very well-thought-out precise solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an email saying that they would like to set up an interview. I then had two 45 minute phone interviews. After that, they emailed me saying that I have made it to the third interview, which was another 45 minute interview, of same format. Two of the three interviews used collabedit, which is an online text editor (for programming) that lets the interviewer and interviewee to view/edit the same code. So they would ask a question, I would write the code, and they would see it and be able to assess me from it. The third interview was all verbal, but I was asked to write a short piece of code, that I emailed to them shortly after.

Interview Question – Third interview asked me to talk about binary trees, designing a class hierarchy, running time of certain algorithms, usual technical stuff. Nothing extremely hard, just state your assumptions, talk through your thought process, and don't be afraid to say "give me a second to kind of think this through in my head". They really can't expect you to create the best algorithm, all things considered, in a matter of seconds!

I was surprised that there weren't any behavioral questions (e.g. 'Tell me about a time in which you had to .....').
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated nothing.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – On campus interview: Interviewed by two recruiters for 45 minutes each. Highly suggest you have a solid understanding of all basic data structures and algorithms. It is essential for surviving their interviews.

Interview Question – They tend to ask questions about data structures and algorithms. They want you to think of the best possible solution and you must know your Big O notations.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied one, got the interview call 15 days later. Asked questions related to binary search tree, insertion, deletion, search etc. Also about hashing.

Interview Question – All questions were fairly okay but I was kinda underprepared.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online, and 1 month later they contacted me to schedule a phone interview. The first interview consisted of two 45 minute interviews from different interviewers. Each was very similar and asked different coding questions. First one was easier and was more basic. Second one was how to detect the largest palindrome in a word.

I got contacted later for a second round phone interview, consisting of 1 45 minute interview. There was a question about Linked lists and another on detecting the first non-repeating word in a given word.

Interview Questions

• Find the largest palindrome in a given word.   View Answers (2)
  • Given a linked list, flip every pair of nodes, such that if given a-b-c-d-e, return
    b-a-d-c-e.
      View Answers (2)

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – Met the HR rep at the university career fair, i was asked some simple array questions and it went pretty well

Got an email a couple of days later and scheduled an on campus interview, which is two 45min back to back technical interview. Both interviewer were very friendly and helpful

Interview Question – I will not give away the interview questions since I've signed the NDA. However, the advises I can offer is:

1: make sure you are FULLY prepared before you attend the interview, they are not EASY. by FULLY prepared, I mean, do a very serious review on your data structures and algorithms!

2: Never begin solve the question before you completely understand what the question is asking. most of the time the interviewer's instruction maybe misleading, not quite accurate or hard to follow. If that happens, do not be afraid to ask for clarifications.

3: Try an example after you write your code. remember to take care of boundary cases such as empty array or null pointer exceptions

4: If you prefer working alone, let your interviewer know, they can let you working alone and come back, or they will try their best not staring at you.

5: Be FULLY PREPARED and good luck!
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation since it's only an internship position

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview Details – During the interview, they first ask me to introduce myself and go through my resume. Picked one of the most impressive one (they feel impressive...not me...) and ask me some more details. And they started to ask some kind of basic programming and probability problems. Programming questions would not be so tricky, but the probability one is really challenging for me.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern

The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2009.

Interview Details – very technical interview that lasted 90 minutes, after a few soft skills questions, they go right to the point and start throwing brain teasers and coding questions at you. some of the questions included array manipulation and database management.
the interviewers were quite nice and overall a very professional interview

Interview Question – array manipulation in language of your choice   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Interview Details – I have had a phone interview with one of their software engineers and have been scheduled another phone interview in the next 2 days.

Interview Question – Given two linked lists, find out IF they intersect.   View Answers (3)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 88 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.