Amazon.com Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Tempe, AZ) in March 2011.

Interview

It consisted of 2 45 minutes back to back interviews. Both are skill questions. The first interview consisted of a group of jobs in which some of them had dependencies, meaning that some had to be completed first before one could start. Think of this as a graph with pointing arrows. Create an algorithm that would spit out the most efficient/best job sequence. The result would be something along these lines: first job3, job4; second job1; third job5, job6, etc. What data structure would you use and how would you represent it? Explain it with pseudocode, then write it on code. The second interview consisted of an expression tree. What structure would you use to represent this? Write code that would compute the result. Can you write it without using recursion? What's memory overhead?

Interview Questions

• First Interview. What data structure to use, and how to solve the problem?   1 Answer
  • Second Interview. Write code to compute result of expression binary tree? What's the time complexity?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I applied for the software engineering internship. I had back to back interviews, and then a final interview a couple weeks later. The interviews were technical interviews, and they were very challenging. I could not figure out some of the question.

Interview Questions

• There were some questions based on graph theory that were very simply stated, but required a very well-thought-out precise solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied online, got an email saying that they would like to set up an interview. I then had two 45 minute phone interviews. After that, they emailed me saying that I have made it to the third interview, which was another 45 minute interview, of same format. Two of the three interviews used collabedit, which is an online text editor (for programming) that lets the interviewer and interviewee to view/edit the same code. So they would ask a question, I would write the code, and they would see it and be able to assess me from it. The third interview was all verbal, but I was asked to write a short piece of code, that I emailed to them shortly after.

Interview Questions

• Third interview asked me to talk about binary trees, designing a class hierarchy, running time of certain algorithms, usual technical stuff. Nothing extremely hard, just state your assumptions, talk through your thought process, and don't be afraid to say "give me a second to kind of think this through in my head". They really can't expect you to create the best algorithm, all things considered, in a matter of seconds! I was surprised that there weren't any behavioral questions (e.g. 'Tell me about a time in which you had to .....').   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated nothing.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Interview

2 rounds, 3 questions each. Answered and coded all the three in first round. Second round was a little tricky. Answered 2 out of three, and coded kind of 1.5(was stuck in the syntax)

Interview Questions

• given a pool(P) of co-ordinates (infinitely large), find the closest N to a given user co-ordinate   1 Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied from campus recruiting. Two 45 minute interview sessions. All technical, no questions about resume, behavioral skills, etc.

Interview Questions

• Generate all possible solutions to an n by n sudoku board   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in December 2010.

Interview

Was contacted by an amazon recruiter to set up a phone interview. Set up two dates for two separate phone interviews. I submitted my resume online and at a career fair not sure which one got through to HR. People at Hr were very nice and so were the interviewers. Friendly over the phone and helped calm my nerves during the phone interview.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Interview

I had two phone interviews with amazon. Both of them consisted mainly of questions on Data Structures and Algorithms. Amazon guys really like to test your Computer Science basics. I was given one coding problem in each interview. I had to state the time complexity of my algorithms used to solve the given problem. Then I was asked to improve the complexity. Then there were questions on Heaps, Priority Queue.

Interview Questions

• Write a code to get intersection of two arrays   Answer Question
    • Write a code to find kth largest element in an array   Answer Question
    • There was some question on Convex functions.   Answer Question
    • Suppose there is a problem in some web service we are hosting. We find out that it is running too slow. How would you go ahead in finding out the problem?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview

During the interview, they first ask me to introduce myself and go through my resume. Picked one of the most impressive one (they feel impressive...not me...) and ask me some more details. And they started to ask some kind of basic programming and probability problems. Programming questions would not be so tricky, but the probability one is really challenging for me.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2009.

Interview

very technical interview that lasted 90 minutes, after a few soft skills questions, they go right to the point and start throwing brain teasers and coding questions at you. some of the questions included array manipulation and database management. the interviewers were quite nice and overall a very professional interview

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2011.

Interview

I have had a phone interview with one of their software engineers and have been scheduled another phone interview in the next 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Given two linked lists, find out IF they intersect.   3 Answers