Amazon.com Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 30, 2014

3.1

89 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

I applied online through the Amazon jobs website. After a few weeks I got an email from a recruiter asking me to have 2 back-to-back interviews on a day of my choosing. The interviews were an hour long each and consisted of questions about basic data structures, their runtime complexities and some basic coding questions. One interviewer asked me one coding question and the other asked me two. All three were fairly easy and standard questions and shouldn't be anything too surprising if you have read some of the other reviews (They were in that same ballpark). After the two interviews concluded I was told by my recruiter that I would hear back from him within two weeks time. I got a response a weeks after with an offer.

Interview Questions
  • Given two different strings, find the common characters between the two. For example if string A is "hello" and string B is "elbow" the common characters would be ['e', 'l', 'o']. Give a method that returns unique or duplicate entries.   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineering Intern Interview

got a mail and scheduled two back to back phone interviews. 45 mins. both of them were technical. First one asked more about data structures, second one was on OOP design concept.

Interview Questions
    • questions were fairly easy. nothing unexpected. the programming question I got was to check if a number is a power of 2 or not. Not heard back yet. so waiting for a decision.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied on their website. They emailed me to set up interview times. I had two 45-minute interviews back to back. They were mostly technical, asking coding questions with an online shared document for solutions or just asking general CS questions. They got back to me in a couple weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Be sure to know complexity analysis for every bit of code you write, and how to use the STL if you're writing in C++. Know how to use hash maps/hash tables.   Answer Question

I had another offer that I felt I had to take.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

There was an online assessment that they have interns do. It is a very methodical in their process. The have an online assessment that they have interns do, the assessment has 3 question that you are to do within an half an hour, you are given a choice of whether to do it in java or c++. You are also to describe what you are doing through comments.

Interview Questions
    • I was a bit rusty on my c++, and I'm sure I got all the problems correct, but I'm sure it was the comments that killed me   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied through university career website, and after several weeks I received an email from Amazon that ask me to pick some time to schedule a phone interviews. There are two phone interviews each of is 45 mins. I didn't do well so after the interview there is no reply.

Interview Questions
    • In the first interview, he ask a question about how to get the height of a tree. Easy one.
      The second is to find the maximum path in a tree. A path are the links between any two nodes in a tree.
      In the second interview, he ask factorial, and big number multiplication. And a OO question.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

On campus Interview, two back-to-back rounds. The first interviewer asked several basic behaviour questions like why Amazon, then a technical question:
    Find a word's anagram in a file.
    The second interviewer asked several conceptual questions like the definition of array, stack, etc. Then a technical question about delete the duplicates in a singly linked list

Software Engineer Intern Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

2 rounds, 3 questions each. Answered and coded all the three in first round. Second round was a little tricky. Answered 2 out of three, and coded kind of 1.5(was stuck in the syntax)

Interview Questions
    • given a pool(P) of co-ordinates (infinitely large), find the closest N to a given user co-ordinate   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

Dropped off CV at Career Fair;got interview call via email and decided which date to give the interview.Onsite interviews: 2 . Basic Data structures and algorithms questions at the beginning moving to harder questions as quickly and correctly one solves them.

Interview Questions
    • A complex tree question which involved implementation as queue and Linklist both   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2013.

It started from a campus recruiting process for finding summer SE interns. The interview consisted of 2 sections, in which I interacted with an Amazon.com's recruiter in each section alone.

First section: Tree Traversal
    I was asked about the best implementation for a binary tree (i.e. pre-order, in-order, post-order). I was required to communicate reasons why I chose to use a particular one.

Second section: Iterative and Recursive Arithmetic Implementation
    I was asked to find sums of next N numbers in an array iteratively and recursively. I came out with the iterative approach within a short period of time, and the recruiter asked for the recursive approach.

Note: The recruiters asked questions unrelated to programming too. For instance, they asked the reasons why I chose Amazon.com as a candidate company for my internship. They wanted to see my thoughts

Interview Questions
    • The best implementation for a binary tree.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

asked relativiley simple questions. mostly coding questions about stuff you learn in school. first interview was much easier then the second.