Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.4

715 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

It was recruting event. So there were a lot of people there. I had 4 interviews: 2 coding, 1 for object oriented design, 1 for system design (more or less). After that we had a lunch with 3 more candidates and 2 HRs. Questions on interviews were very common and not very diffucult.

Interview Questions
  • They were asking unexpected questions about working experience. For example, tell me the case where you were above expectations. All interviewers had this type of questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions
    • What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   Answer Question
    • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   View Answers (2)
    • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   View Answer
    • Online coding interview:
      Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
      // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15
      // return index 1&3
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Group interview, not really hard, with 2 other candidates. Each got a part of the project to complete individually, last for a day. The first part is group discussion for an hour and interviewers will come and ask question. Then each of the candidates will assign a part of the project and do it all by ourselves. There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.

Interview Questions
    • There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

It was all technical, i was expecting first the will talk about the company culture and all. But the questions were good . Design questions required some thinking. It was an overall good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I took the onsite interview on campus. The interview had two parts and each part was 45 minutes. At the first part, I was asked about my background, experience and interest. At the end of the first part, the engineer gave me an algorithm question. I was given two algorithm problems in the second part.

Interview Questions
    • Given a maze, find the way from top-left corner to bottom-right corner.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Initial Communication - One of their technical recruiters messaged me on LinkedIn expressing an interest in my skills. I ignored it. A couple months went by, and I decided looking for other career opportunities would be a good thing. I applied online for their Austin, TX positions. I also found a few of their technical recruiters on LinkedIn and messaged them.

I got a phone call from one of their technical recruiters. She was really nice and excited to talk to me. There were a couple questions about my work experience mostly to make sure that I was who I claimed I was on paper. The next step was a timed test online that they would record in real time. She also gave me a small document that was prep for the test listing various topics that the test would include. She also claimed 'do not exceed one hour' on the timed test.

To prepare for the test, I recommend googling for Amazon Test questions. They won't be exact, but you'll get in the habit of answering questions fast. The test was composed of three questions. 1) Write a series of classes for a graphics API. 2) Implement a breadth first traversal of some tree. 3) Implement a method for the fibonacci sequence.

Then a couple phone calls and email exchanges. "You Passed, we love you!". The next step is an onsite interview that lasts 2-4 hours.

The onsite interview consisted of meeting with pairs of people. One of them was the lead interviewer, the other was someone who had started within the last six months and was there more to take notes. The first group seemed unhappy to be there at all. It didn't matter what I said. It was straight to the white board for more technical tests. This group asked questions about implementing a bit map editor. They purposely would ask vague questions with the expectation that you will ask them questions to figure out what they are really wanting answered. They would ask questions about big O notation. They would ask questions about memory usage. The next group was similar.

I asked each of the groups if they would be my actual coworkers. The answer was no across the board. I did want to meet whom I would actually be working with. The people I met in the interview seemed like they didn't want to be there. Toward the end of one of the groups, I thought of a better implementation to a question I answered. They responded, "We're out of time". They definitely had the attitude of "People apply here everyday, Anyone is replaceable, No one is unique"

I'm guessing I didn't pass their in-person technical test, but I wasn't too crazy about working with them either.

Interview Questions
    • For a bitmap editor, given an x,y location and a color, write a series of methods for a Fill operation like the paint bucket, except only change the color of the outer boundary of what would be filled.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interviewed with 5 people total. One of them was very nice and friendly. All the others were impersonal and mechanical. Could tell it was a everyone man for himself kind of culture.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't hard, but hard to impress the bar raiser interviewer, who has veto power and mandated to hire people better than 50% of the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on the website under the university section. Received an email from recruiter and setup two 45 mins tech screens with engineers. Spent the first few minutes learning about their role, as well as explaining my background/interest. No specifics questions just general. Then one coding question. I was asked to write an algorithm to compute square root. The other call asked me to reverse a Linked List.

Interview Questions
    • 1 ) Algorithm to compute square root that handles perfect and non-perfect squares.
      2) Reverse a LinkedList
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

first came up with introduction of the job and the interviewer, then some behavior question like most challenge part of your past project had been asked. and one of the question is from leetcode. and the other question is very practical associate with Python. like give you a thousands of websites and extract all the phone number.

Interview Questions
    • they ask me some OOD question in phone interview which is I was not expected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

On-campus interview, I failed on the first interview. I was asked to solved an algorithm problem and an OO problem. The OO problem is card problem, and it is exactly same as the one in cracking code.