Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

663 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I was contacted by a polite recruiter through LinkedIn. She arranged a phone interview for me. The guy that talked to me was very polite. The questions were of incremental difficulty. He started by asking basic data structures questions and then we did some coding.

Interview Question – Find if a word is anagram (e.g. ana is an anagram).   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – After online test, onsite interview. Online test is easy. I'm sure you must do same or similar questions before. The hotel is really close to the comany. Only 10 minutes walking. I didn't prepare well and I'm so nervous, so I can't work out the first question, which make me upset.

Interview Question – All technique questions. Difficult if you donesn't prepare well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I had 2 phone interviews. first they asked me to describle the projects I had worked on and my responsibilities and contributions. then coding questions. 1. given a long string and a short string, find whether the short string is contained in the long string, if yes, return the first start index. if no, ruturn -1. (KMP) 2. find the Kth minimum num in an array.

Interview Question – Tell the detailed content of HTTP header.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had a couple of phone interviews and then I was flown out to Seattle for an onsite. The phone interviews were basically what you would expect. One HR interview and one short technical interview just to make sure you're not hopeless. Amazon is hiring a ton of people and I think it was fairly quick and easy to get invited to an onsite.

The onsite was actually the best interview experience I've ever had. There was no whiteboard coding or anything like that. We were given coding projects, laptops equipped with various IDEs, and we just coded the entire day. We were allowed to use the internet too to look at Stack Overflow or whatever. I think this format let me shine whereas I'm not that great at whiteboard coding and I hate having people watch over my shoulder the whole time.

Besides the coding project there was a short tour and a couple of 1-on-1s with software engineers, not to talk about their job or anything, but just to talk about my progress on the coding project, how I was approaching the problem, etc. There was no HR phase during the onsite.

Interview Question – There weren't any specific "questions" for the onsite but I would say know your data structures very well if you want to succeed.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm really not that hard of a worker, but Amazon looks quite grueling. I took a job with much lower pay and much better work-life balance.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – I apply amazon in school career fair and get a interview invitation in two weeks. First round is technical interview, it will give you three coding questions. you have one hour. you should not only write the code but also analysis the time complexity of your code. the questions are not very hard, but you need to write it carefully, you may not have the time to run your own test cases

Interview Question – you need to write the code correctly without IDE's help and be able to know the time complexity of the data structure you are going to use, even though the data structure might be Java JDK, you still need to know the complexity   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Two back-to-back interview, each has 45 minutes.

Interview Question – (1) two sums : given a list of numbers, return the indexes of two values whose sum is a given value. (2) Revers a string list   View Answer

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – It is a big company. But I don't like some of the strategies they adopt in interview. They tend to test your ability of memorizing rather than understanding the data structures and algorithms.

Interview Question – Memory management   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – got two 45mins phone interview

Interview Question – the questions were unexpected, but not hard.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – on campus interview. Two round.

Interview Question – Not too difficult. Some tree and array problems.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – A lot of random questions about coding, and at one point I was asked to write coding down by hand. Know your stuff, because they are very meticulous. It was a long interview -- around five hours. Even though you'll know the majority of the material off the top of your head, it's important that you show them what you're truly capable of. They are looking for the best potential worker.

Interview Question – Walk me through how Amazon Kindle books would be priced.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got a better offer from another unrelated company. Had I not, though, I would've accepted. Amazon is a great company.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 663 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.