Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

3.4

705 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions
  • What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   Answer Question
  • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   Answer Question
  • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   View Answer
  • Online coding interview:
    Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
    // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15
    // return index 1&3
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

I was contacted through my school's career fair, and set up a phone interview which was just a half hour or hour (can't remember) long coding question over collabedit (or something similar). At the time, I hadn't yet finished my senior year of college and had not yet taken a data structures and algorithms course.

Interview Questions
    • Find the maximum integer in an array of integers. Array could be really large.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I took the onsite interview on campus. The interview had two parts and each part was 45 minutes. At the first part, I was asked about my background, experience and interest. At the end of the first part, the engineer gave me an algorithm question. I was given two algorithm problems in the second part.

Interview Questions
    • Given a maze, find the way from top-left corner to bottom-right corner.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a technical phone interview. The interview started with general software engineering questions about polymorphism, inheritance, encapsulation, etc. I then had some questions on sorting algorithms and the differences between them and their run time in terms of big O notation. We then proceeded to the live coding portion of the interview using Collabedit. I was asked to implement a binary search tree for an array of integers and talk about the run time of binary search tree.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

first came up with introduction of the job and the interviewer, then some behavior question like most challenge part of your past project had been asked. and one of the question is from leetcode. and the other question is very practical associate with Python. like give you a thousands of websites and extract all the phone number.

Interview Questions
    • they ask me some OOD question in phone interview which is I was not expected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

As most of the other people have stated, they have a pretty regular interview process.
    Two back to back phone interviews of around 45 mins. I was asked basic questions regarding String reverse, Card Deck, Compare Binary Trees mostly from Cracking the Coding book. Also, regarding Android Development since It was on my profile.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are regular, can be found on geekforgeeks   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interviewed with 5 people total. One of them was very nice and friendly. All the others were impersonal and mechanical. Could tell it was a everyone man for himself kind of culture.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't hard, but hard to impress the bar raiser interviewer, who has veto power and mandated to hire people better than 50% of the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Got contacted by a recruiter. They seemed interested in my background in computer vision and machine learning. They had me do a small programming exercise over the phone. Then I went in for an in person interview. It was frustrating because they could not say anything about what I would be working on, other than I was a great match.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most disruptive thing you've done?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2011.

Responded to a posted job with my reume and cover letter. Had a scheduled phone interview which was casual discussion of my background and accomplishments. Was flown out for face to face interview where I met with team members 1 at a time for aprox 1 hour technical interviews where I was given design problems and technical Java questions like demonstrate the use of threads and queues. Finally interviewed with manager and was challenged with open ended qestions to answer with as much as I could provide for ideas and direction.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult part for me was the psychological pressure that was used threw me off my game. Just remember they would not be interviewing you if they did not want to hire you. Its ok not to have all the answers .. you will be part of the team :)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on the website under the university section. Received an email from recruiter and setup two 45 mins tech screens with engineers. Spent the first few minutes learning about their role, as well as explaining my background/interest. No specifics questions just general. Then one coding question. I was asked to write an algorithm to compute square root. The other call asked me to reverse a Linked List.

Interview Questions
    • 1 ) Algorithm to compute square root that handles perfect and non-perfect squares.
      2) Reverse a LinkedList
        View Answer

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!