Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015
Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Chicago, IL).

Interview

There was a phone interview and C coding assignment. This was a stretch for me because I had not coded in a very long time although in some ways it was like riding a bike. The interview may have ended prematurely because of my inability to move to Seattle.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I would be able to move to Seattle. I don't remember if a relocation package was available.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The process started out with taking an easy online assessment of 7 questions. After that was completed I had an over the phone technical interview that lasted for about 45 minutes and consisted of one multipart question. The interviewer was helpful in getting me through parts of the problem which I stumbled on and over all it was a good experience. Other than the technical question the interviewer was also very interested in what I have done outside of school (programming oriented side projects in particular).

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, serialize it into a string that can later be parsed and used to rebuild the original tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview. The interview has two back-to-back rounds and each take forty five minutes. The interview questions are easy and the recruiters are very nice. The process was delightful.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online on amazon.jobs, but their online job board is crappy and full of bugs. After one week, I got email from Amazon.com recruiter from India, wanting me to do their code assessment from HackerRank.com. There were 10 different coding assignment that you need to complete in very less time. Out of 10, 9 of them were correct but did not get time to finish the 10th one. I emailed the recruiter who lived in India that I finished the code assignment and I got email stating, he will sent to team for review. After one month, I did not get feedback. I emailed him after one and half month, another recruiter from India stated on email that I am not being selected. Basically they are not looking for human, but Robot to do their software engineer work. Their interview process is JOKE!!!

Interview Questions

• 10 different coding data structure assignment in very less time via HackerRank.com   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through their website was notified to take an online coding assessment test. Under estimated what the test leading to not getting any further than that. Assessment test had 2 coding questions and was given 2 hours to complete, which is extremely generous and reasonable.

Interview Questions

• 2D array check if there are duplicates 2 indices away , and 2D array rotate each element clockwise + ensure square matrix   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

interview on campus. With two continuous interviews. With all algorithm question and behavior question. And the interview ask about basic questions about the algorithm and it is more important to gather your word

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

On campus interview. 90 minutes (45 for each round).
    No questions on computer systems.
    Behavior: Describe a challenging project or work you've done. What's the greatest gain of this project.
    Coding: String manipulation, stack. Time complexity analysis. Dynamic Programming, design a new class (easy, improvement of an exist class).

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging project or work you've done. What's the greatest gain of this project.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

One set of 2 interviews, 45 minutes each, then received a yes/no decision a week after those two interviews. Despite receiving a copious number of emails (9) to set up the on campus interview over the span of a month, I still did not know the location of my interviews the morning of. Also never received a response to my emails requesting clarification. Had to show up 15 minutes early, search the building, and ask somebody to find out where I was supposed to go. Had two 45 minute interviews, each had a technical question and general discussion of previous work. During the second interview, the interviewer took 5 minutes to set up someone else's interview that had been poorly organized.

Interview Questions

• Given an array containing the pre-order and in-order tree traversals of a tree, recreate the original tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

There was an initial screening online quiz. 7 short coding problems to do in 21 minutes - presented with algorithm and goal, notified of bug within the code that you must fix. Next, single 45 min - hr long phone interview. 2 generic introductory questions and the rest is technical. Was able to fit two technical questions into the interview. Technical questions were nothing out of the ordinary. The guy I interviewed with honestly sounded like he would have rather been doing anything than interviewing me, but was attentive. Questions about time and space complexities. I was asked to reverse all of the words in a sentence to which I presented a linear time, constant space algorithm. Had to right my own String.split() function which I thought was a bit odd; but whatever. Next, I was asked to write a function to return the kth largest element in an unsorted array (classic). For this I noted that we could build a max heap in linear time and pop off the top k elements each in O(log k) time. I also indicated that we could perform a sort in linearithmic time and return the element at the kth index. Lastly, and the solution I was asked to code, was the Quick Select algorithm. Close cousin of the Quick Sort. Interviewer was highly pleased that I named the quick select algorithm and despite not being able to completely finish the code snippet - communicated satisfaction. Asked to code in Java, C, or C++. Excited af.

I believe the interview was difficult not bc of the technical questions that were asked (those were quite typical), but because of the overall interviewing experience. The suspense was intimidating. Interviewer wasn't into it so I felt like I had to try harder to impress them.

Interview Questions

• Reverse all of the words in a sentence.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Interview

Pretty fun initial online test with two coding questions and then a bunch of more logic based IQ questions. Both portions had a time limit. For the coding portion of the test you had to write compilable code to properly output the expected results. The questions very fairly simple bit manipulation and data structures.

Interview Questions

• Counting the number of 1 bits in the binary representation of a given integer.   2 Answers