Amazon.com

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

interview on campus. With two continuous interviews. With all algorithm question and behavior question. And the interview ask about basic questions about the algorithm and it is more important to gather your word

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

On campus interview. 90 minutes (45 for each round).
    No questions on computer systems.
    Behavior: Describe a challenging project or work you've done. What's the greatest gain of this project.
    Coding: String manipulation, stack. Time complexity analysis. Dynamic Programming, design a new class (easy, improvement of an exist class).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenging project or work you've done. What's the greatest gain of this project.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview wasn't bad. The initial interview was an online test. The coding part wasn't too bad. The multiple questions were time consuming though. The questions are small initially. Then they start getting huge and realize that should not have spent time on the smaller questions.

Interview Questions
    • In the sequence of numbers what comes next?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and got an email the next day to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled one for within a week. It turned out that was a mistake. I should prepare more for the interview, since there are many things to study.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of numbers, find the pairs that add up to a certain sum.
      Complexity analysis and ways to improve the algorithm.

View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

After waiting for about 1 month, they email me to take an online accessment. OA contains two programming problems and 24 logical and reading problems. Two programming problems are grey code and string rotate.
    One week after OA, they email me to take a workstyle survey which has a lot of character problems. This part is simple.

Interview Questions
    • Not so difficult, the two programming problem is simple to implement.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied in the career fair. Got a call for interview on campus. Two technical rounds back to back. 45 minutes each. First round was about data structures. Some general questions and asked to code one problem. Next round was about algorithms. Discussed the resume and project first and then asked to code one question.

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online and received a reply back about a month later. I took a timed programming test online which included writing two programs and answering a bunch of behavioral questions. I was then called in for the onsite interviews which went on for about 5 hours. Each interview consisted of writing at least one program on a whiteboard and a few technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

I applied online and got an email the next day to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled one within 3 days. It turned out that was a mistake. I did not get enough time to study and practice coding. I suggest to get at least about 2 weeks to prepare if you haven't done so.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of numbers, find the pairs that add up to a certain sum.
      Complexity analysis and ways to improve your algorithm.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I am very disappointed at amazon.
    1) They only told me there will the 4-7 of 45 mins interivew back to back, and they will provide lunch. No interview schedule was included, and according to one of the video they sent me, I should get the schedule in the morning from frontdesk or recruiter.
    When I got their office at 8:45AM (scheduled time), I ended up waited until 9AM to see my 1st recruiter. When I asked him about my schedule, he has to pull me to another recruiter and the 2nd guy pulled it up from his phone and told me there will be 5 interviews. Then they both left and asked me to wait in the lobby again for a different recruiter who set up this interview
    9:10AM, an engineer went down to pick me up. He said he is my first interviewer and he was sitting in the room and waiting for me since 9AM. Apparently the recruiter screwed up....

2) The 4th interviewer has some allergy maybe, and kept on clearing his throat when I was writing code on the chrome book. I was distracted and annoyed, but don't want to be rude so I did not say anything. Still managed finished the code although it took longer because of the distraction.

3) When the 5th interviewer is done. She asked me if I already had lunch or something. I said no. So she pinged someone on IM and told me she is sorry, but I have to go for lunch by myself...

4) According to the recruiter I should get the result within 2 days, and I did not. So I pinged the recruiter on the 3rd day, and he told me they are still waiting for the last bit of feed back to be entered. Then 2 weeks later, I still did not even hear a word from him. Seriously? Don't I deserve an answer after spending 4+ hrs in the whole interview?

Most of the interviewers are smart and nice. But the whole interview process is very poorly organized. Why on earth they want to drag a local candidate to downtown seattle at 8:45AM just to finish the whole interview at 12:30PM?? so they don't have to provide lunch?

Look like there is no offer for me. That's ok, anyway I don't want to work for a company poorly managed like that.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are reasonable. The last question is harder, maybe that is the so called bar raising question   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions
    • What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   View Answer
    • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   View Answers (3)
    • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   View Answers (2)
    • Online coding interview:
      Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
      // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15