Amazon.com

Updated Dec 1, 2014

3.4

725 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online and received a reply back about a month later. I took a timed programming test online which included writing two programs and answering a bunch of behavioral questions. I was then called in for the onsite interviews which went on for about 5 hours. Each interview consisted of writing at least one program on a whiteboard and a few technical questions.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I am very disappointed at amazon.
    1) They only told me there will the 4-7 of 45 mins interivew back to back, and they will provide lunch. No interview schedule was included, and according to one of the video they sent me, I should get the schedule in the morning from frontdesk or recruiter.
    When I got their office at 8:45AM (scheduled time), I ended up waited until 9AM to see my 1st recruiter. When I asked him about my schedule, he has to pull me to another recruiter and the 2nd guy pulled it up from his phone and told me there will be 5 interviews. Then they both left and asked me to wait in the lobby again for a different recruiter who set up this interview
    9:10AM, an engineer went down to pick me up. He said he is my first interviewer and he was sitting in the room and waiting for me since 9AM. Apparently the recruiter screwed up....

2) The 4th interviewer has some allergy maybe, and kept on clearing his throat when I was writing code on the chrome book. I was distracted and annoyed, but don't want to be rude so I did not say anything. Still managed finished the code although it took longer because of the distraction.

3) When the 5th interviewer is done. She asked me if I already had lunch or something. I said no. So she pinged someone on IM and told me she is sorry, but I have to go for lunch by myself...

4) According to the recruiter I should get the result within 2 days, and I did not. So I pinged the recruiter on the 3rd day, and he told me they are still waiting for the last bit of feed back to be entered. Then 2 weeks later, I still did not even hear a word from him. Seriously? Don't I deserve an answer after spending 4+ hrs in the whole interview?

Most of the interviewers are smart and nice. But the whole interview process is very poorly organized. Why on earth they want to drag a local candidate to downtown seattle at 8:45AM just to finish the whole interview at 12:30PM?? so they don't have to provide lunch?

Look like there is no offer for me. That's ok, anyway I don't want to work for a company poorly managed like that.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are reasonable. The last question is harder, maybe that is the so called bar raising question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Attended a hiring event on site. Was interning at another tech company and responded to an email mass mailed to my university regarding the event. Was flown out on their dime within a week. There were 4 separate interviews with one conducted by two engineers and another by an engineer and a manager. The interview was very simple and easy and left me expecting another round of interviews, but I received an offer within a week. I shared a cab with 3 other interviewees and they too were shocked by the basic interview questions. One was even very upset about the thought of another round of interviews given that he had a pending offer deadline. Everyone was very friendly though and it seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Very simple and common interview questions. They should not have been able to differentiate candidates with at least basic competency. This is probably due to the hiring event. They were interviewing dozens of candidates onsite every week.   Answer Question

Salary compared to other offers.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions
    • What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   View Answer
    • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   View Answers (3)
    • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   View Answers (2)
    • Online coding interview:
      Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
      // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15
      // return index 1&3

View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

It was recruting event. So there were a lot of people there. I had 4 interviews: 2 coding, 1 for object oriented design, 1 for system design (more or less). After that we had a lunch with 3 more candidates and 2 HRs. Questions on interviews were very common and not very diffucult.

Interview Questions
    • They were asking unexpected questions about working experience. For example, tell me the case where you were above expectations. All interviewers had this type of questions   Answer Question

I have a better offer from FB. But the team in Amazon is great too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Applied within company website.
    Scheduled for a phone interview.
    Being asked many behavioural questions and if it's possible for relocation.
    After a chat, received an email with coding question expect answer replied via email.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of 2D coordinates representing boundaries of a 2D shape and an internal point (x,y) within the 2D shape.
      Find how many internal points are there within the 2D shape.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Applied through career fair at University. Had one online assessment and work assessment. Got call for onsite interview. Had 4 onsite interviews which covered almost all the areas like object oriented programming, trees, graphs, arrays, behavioral questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Group interview, not really hard, with 2 other candidates. Each got a part of the project to complete individually, last for a day. The first part is group discussion for an hour and interviewers will come and ask question. Then each of the candidates will assign a part of the project and do it all by ourselves. There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.

Interview Questions
    • There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

It was all technical, i was expecting first the will talk about the company culture and all. But the questions were good . Design questions required some thinking. It was an overall good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I took the onsite interview on campus. The interview had two parts and each part was 45 minutes. At the first part, I was asked about my background, experience and interest. At the end of the first part, the engineer gave me an algorithm question. I was given two algorithm problems in the second part.

Interview Questions
    • Given a maze, find the way from top-left corner to bottom-right corner.   View Answers (2)