Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

3.3

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

The process started out with taking an easy online assessment of 7 questions. After that was completed I had an over the phone technical interview that lasted for about 45 minutes and consisted of one multipart question. The interviewer was helpful in getting me through parts of the problem which I stumbled on and over all it was a good experience. Other than the technical question the interviewer was also very interested in what I have done outside of school (programming oriented side projects in particular).

Interview Questions
  • Given a tree, serialize it into a string that can later be parsed and used to rebuild the original tree.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com.

It was an on-campus interview. The interview has two back-to-back rounds and each take forty five minutes. The interview questions are easy and the recruiters are very nice. The process was delightful.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

I applied online on amazon.jobs, but their online job board is crappy and full of bugs. After one week, I got email from Amazon.com recruiter from India, wanting me to do their code assessment from HackerRank.com. There were 10 different coding assignment that you need to complete in very less time. Out of 10, 9 of them were correct but did not get time to finish the 10th one. I emailed the recruiter who lived in India that I finished the code assignment and I got email stating, he will sent to team for review. After one month, I did not get feedback. I emailed him after one and half month, another recruiter from India stated on email that I am not being selected. Basically they are not looking for human, but Robot to do their software engineer work. Their interview process is JOKE!!!

Interview Questions
    • 10 different coding data structure assignment in very less time via HackerRank.com   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

interview on campus. With two continuous interviews. With all algorithm question and behavior question. And the interview ask about basic questions about the algorithm and it is more important to gather your word

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

On campus interview. 90 minutes (45 for each round).
    No questions on computer systems.
    Behavior: Describe a challenging project or work you've done. What's the greatest gain of this project.
    Coding: String manipulation, stack. Time complexity analysis. Dynamic Programming, design a new class (easy, improvement of an exist class).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenging project or work you've done. What's the greatest gain of this project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

One set of 2 interviews, 45 minutes each, then received a yes/no decision a week after those two interviews. Despite receiving a copious number of emails (9) to set up the on campus interview over the span of a month, I still did not know the location of my interviews the morning of. Also never received a response to my emails requesting clarification. Had to show up 15 minutes early, search the building, and ask somebody to find out where I was supposed to go. Had two 45 minute interviews, each had a technical question and general discussion of previous work. During the second interview, the interviewer took 5 minutes to set up someone else's interview that had been poorly organized.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array containing the pre-order and in-order tree traversals of a tree, recreate the original tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2015.

Pretty fun initial online test with two coding questions and then a bunch of more logic based IQ questions. Both portions had a time limit. For the coding portion of the test you had to write compilable code to properly output the expected results. The questions very fairly simple bit manipulation and data structures.

Interview Questions
    • Counting the number of 1 bits in the binary representation of a given integer.   View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview wasn't bad. The initial interview was an online test. The coding part wasn't too bad. The multiple questions were time consuming though. The questions are small initially. Then they start getting huge and realize that should not have spent time on the smaller questions.

Interview Questions
    • In the sequence of numbers what comes next?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online and got an email the next day to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled one for within a week. It turned out that was a mistake. I should prepare more for the interview, since there are many things to study.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of numbers, find the pairs that add up to a certain sum.
      Complexity analysis and ways to improve the algorithm.

View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

After waiting for about 1 month, they email me to take an online accessment. OA contains two programming problems and 24 logical and reading problems. Two programming problems are grey code and string rotate.
    One week after OA, they email me to take a workstyle survey which has a lot of character problems. This part is simple.

Interview Questions
    • Not so difficult, the two programming problem is simple to implement.   View Answer