Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2009.

Interview

I only went through 2 of the 3 phone interviews. You really need to know your Big-O notation. Understand how a HashMap works. You'l have to write code down on paper and read it back to them over the phone. I had a few easy questions on threading, a question on how I would architect a web application for a car rental company (what would the app do? which objects would we have? I think he wanted to see if I knew what a DAO was, or maybe if I understood MVC).

Interview Questions

• I had a difficult question about a cuboid composed of smaller cubes. How many cubes are there where exactly two faces of the cube are exposed?   4 Answers

Didn't want to move to Seattle. I also didn't care for the number of hours they work (50 - 60 per week on average)

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2010.

Interview

contacted by HR after submitting for this SDE position online. had two rounds of technical interviews completely based on algorithms and data structures.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2011.

Interview

2 phone Interviews and 1 face to face interview. Interview questions.

What is recall is this

Quickest way to find missing number and missing slot in array of 100 elements

Iterate through the array and compute the sum of all numbers. Now, sum of natural numbers from 1 to N, can be expressed as Nx(N+1)/2. N=100.

Subtract the sum of the array from Nx(N+1)/2, where N=100.

That is the missing number. The empty slot can be detected during the iteration in which the sum is computed.

// will be the sum of the numbers in the array.
    int sum = 0;
        } else {
             sum += arr[i];
        }
    }

// the total sum of numbers between 1 and arr.length.
    int total = (arr.length + 1) * arr.length / 2;

System.out.println("missing number is: " + (total - sum) + " at index " + idx);

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in December 2010.

Interview

I was first contacted by their HR in late October about the possible position in Amazon. I had two phone interviews with them. Both interviewers are friendly. They asked mostly CS and programming related questions as well as the OOD problem. I did well in the phone interviews. After a week, I was informed that they want me to go on-site for a formal interview.

The onsite interview was tough, I've talked to seven interviewers. Each one for one hour. Most interviewers are friendly. Some questions are really tough and open. I know I still have so much to improve interms of my technical skill. After all, I am a fresh graduate trying land my first job. I didn't get the offer as I expected. But I feel I learned a lot.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

Interview

Amazon.com saw my profile on linkedin, so I was contacted by them for an interview request. I accepted the interview request. I was given a specific date and time for interview. They interviewed me and after five days, I got their decision. I was declined.

Interview Questions

• There is a special linked list where each node have two pointers, one pointer for next node and one pointer for randomly chosen node. Create a deep copy of this list.   2 Answers

I was declined

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Bangalore (India)) in March 2012.

Interview

There would be phone interview. Upon clearing this, they would invite the candidate on-site for a 1:1 interview. There would usually be two technical rounds, followed by a HR round followed by a Hiring Manager round. The interviewers would interview the candidate for a position he or she has applied for and a level below and higher than it.

Be well prepared for problem solving questions in algorithms, data structures, design questions with respect to object oriented concepts and large scale systems.

The interviewers would be very friendly and will not hurry through the process. They are interested in the ability of the candidate to solve dynamic problems and his or her thought process. Do not shy away from asking for help if you are struck with a problem. The interviewer will certainly point you towards the right direction and provide possible hints that may lead the candidate to solve the problem at hand.

Interview Questions

• There would be questions testing the candidates understanding of basic computer science concepts like algorithms, data structures, object oriented design paradigms etc.   1 Answer
    • Questions on Large Scale Distributed Systems.   1 Answer

My current employer matched the offer in terms of compensation.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Bangalore (India)) in April 2010.

Interview

1 or 2 Phone interviews.

4 to 6 1:1 face to face interviews.

Focus on algorithm,problem solving, DS ,OOPS concepts, Design patterns .

People are highly talented, do not try to make up some thing, Better to say no if you do not the answer.

Pay is handsome.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much negotiations

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview

The interview is consistent of 3 rounds, the first round is HR interview. The second round is technical interview.During the technical interview, you need to write some code to demonstate your skills. The last round is interview with one manager, you need to answer many question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2012.

Interview

S/W Engineer position.

3 times phone interview, 1 hour each.
    one full day on-site interview.

It was most difficult technical interview I ever had. Even tougher than Google.
    I'm even told, here is a problem that 9 out of 10 interviewee fail to solve.
    I was asked to write a code for 10 of those level difficulty questions.

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate anything because my offer exceeded far beyond my expectation including generous relocation package. It was like Wow~

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2012.

Interview

Received an email from HR about scheduling a phone interview. I applied at their website before that but they also could have found my resume another way. First phone interview was all techincal and asked me to code a method to do a depth first search of a binary tree. And also had me do a coding problem where I had an endless stream of integers and I had to keep track of the 1000 largest in big O of log N time.

Second phone interview was all technical and had be right a method to take in two numbers and raise one number to the power of the other ex: 2^3 = 8; Next questions was given an array of numbers to remove the duplicates in big O n log N times with memory space of big O(1).

I didn't make it pasted the second phone interview

Interview Questions

• given an array of numbers to remove the duplicates   10 Answers
    • endless stream of integers and I had to keep track of the 1000 largest   1 Answer