Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
700 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – On-campus interview, I failed on the first interview. I was asked to solved an algorithm problem and an OO problem. The OO problem is card problem, and it is exactly same as the one in cracking code.

Interview Question – problems on the cracking code   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – It was a good experience over all. Know your basics, algorithms, sorting and searching techniques, know at least one programming language in and out. Think clearly, code correctly. Relax the night before, and prepare well in advance.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on the site, recruiters contacted with in a few weeks. The overall experience was negative because I felt the interviewer was a bit rude. I've interviewed with Apple, Google, FB as well and all the others have been positive experiences regardless of how the interview went.

Interview Questions

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – It was well organized and all the interviewers were on time. I interviewed with 4 different people and the technical questions were about string parsing, designing OOP classes and designing a directory (like in DOS)

Interview Question – Designing a directory   Answer Question

Interview Details – Phone Interview

Interview Question – How would you add n items in Fibonacci Series?   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – Group interview. Started from morning. Three people a team. The team was given some reading material, and each person chose one part to code. During the coding process, the interviewers would ask for your solutions.

Interview Question – The problem was related to machine learning knowledge.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I was contacted by a polite recruiter through LinkedIn. She arranged a phone interview for me. The guy that talked to me was very polite. The questions were of incremental difficulty. He started by asking basic data structures questions and then we did some coding.

Interview Question – Find if a word is anagram (e.g. ana is an anagram).   View Answers (4)

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had a couple of phone interviews and then I was flown out to Seattle for an onsite. The phone interviews were basically what you would expect. One HR interview and one short technical interview just to make sure you're not hopeless. Amazon is hiring a ton of people and I think it was fairly quick and easy to get invited to an onsite.

The onsite was actually the best interview experience I've ever had. There was no whiteboard coding or anything like that. We were given coding projects, laptops equipped with various IDEs, and we just coded the entire day. We were allowed to use the internet too to look at Stack Overflow or whatever. I think this format let me shine whereas I'm not that great at whiteboard coding and I hate having people watch over my shoulder the whole time.

Besides the coding project there was a short tour and a couple of 1-on-1s with software engineers, not to talk about their job or anything, but just to talk about my progress on the coding project, how I was approaching the problem, etc. There was no HR phase during the onsite.

Interview Question – There weren't any specific "questions" for the onsite but I would say know your data structures very well if you want to succeed.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm really not that hard of a worker, but Amazon looks quite grueling. I took a job with much lower pay and much better work-life balance.

Seattle, WA

I interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – After online test, onsite interview. Online test is easy. I'm sure you must do same or similar questions before. The hotel is really close to the comany. Only 10 minutes walking. I didn't prepare well and I'm so nervous, so I can't work out the first question, which make me upset.

Interview Question – All technique questions. Difficult if you donesn't prepare well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I had 2 phone interviews. first they asked me to describle the projects I had worked on and my responsibilities and contributions. then coding questions. 1. given a long string and a short string, find whether the short string is contained in the long string, if yes, return the first start index. if no, ruturn -1. (KMP) 2. find the Kth minimum num in an array.

Interview Question – Tell the detailed content of HTTP header.   Answer Question