Amazon.com

3.4

725 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Initial Communication - One of their technical recruiters messaged me on LinkedIn expressing an interest in my skills. I ignored it. A couple months went by, and I decided looking for other career opportunities would be a good thing. I applied online for their Austin, TX positions. I also found a few of their technical recruiters on LinkedIn and messaged them.

I got a phone call from one of their technical recruiters. She was really nice and excited to talk to me. There were a couple questions about my work experience mostly to make sure that I was who I claimed I was on paper. The next step was a timed test online that they would record in real time. She also gave me a small document that was prep for the test listing various topics that the test would include. She also claimed 'do not exceed one hour' on the timed test.

To prepare for the test, I recommend googling for Amazon Test questions. They won't be exact, but you'll get in the habit of answering questions fast. The test was composed of three questions. 1) Write a series of classes for a graphics API. 2) Implement a breadth first traversal of some tree. 3) Implement a method for the fibonacci sequence.

Then a couple phone calls and email exchanges. "You Passed, we love you!". The next step is an onsite interview that lasts 2-4 hours.

The onsite interview consisted of meeting with pairs of people. One of them was the lead interviewer, the other was someone who had started within the last six months and was there more to take notes. The first group seemed unhappy to be there at all. It didn't matter what I said. It was straight to the white board for more technical tests. This group asked questions about implementing a bit map editor. They purposely would ask vague questions with the expectation that you will ask them questions to figure out what they are really wanting answered. They would ask questions about big O notation. They would ask questions about memory usage. The next group was similar.

I asked each of the groups if they would be my actual coworkers. The answer was no across the board. I did want to meet whom I would actually be working with. The people I met in the interview seemed like they didn't want to be there. Toward the end of one of the groups, I thought of a better implementation to a question I answered. They responded, "We're out of time". They definitely had the attitude of "People apply here everyday, Anyone is replaceable, No one is unique"

I'm guessing I didn't pass their in-person technical test, but I wasn't too crazy about working with them either.

Interview Questions
  • For a bitmap editor, given an x,y location and a color, write a series of methods for a Fill operation like the paint bucket, except only change the color of the outer boundary of what would be filled.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interviewed with 5 people total. One of them was very nice and friendly. All the others were impersonal and mechanical. Could tell it was a everyone man for himself kind of culture.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't hard, but hard to impress the bar raiser interviewer, who has veto power and mandated to hire people better than 50% of the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on the website under the university section. Received an email from recruiter and setup two 45 mins tech screens with engineers. Spent the first few minutes learning about their role, as well as explaining my background/interest. No specifics questions just general. Then one coding question. I was asked to write an algorithm to compute square root. The other call asked me to reverse a Linked List.

Interview Questions
    • 1 ) Algorithm to compute square root that handles perfect and non-perfect squares.
      2) Reverse a LinkedList

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

first came up with introduction of the job and the interviewer, then some behavior question like most challenge part of your past project had been asked. and one of the question is from leetcode. and the other question is very practical associate with Python. like give you a thousands of websites and extract all the phone number.

Interview Questions
    • they ask me some OOD question in phone interview which is I was not expected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

On-campus interview, I failed on the first interview. I was asked to solved an algorithm problem and an OO problem. The OO problem is card problem, and it is exactly same as the one in cracking code.

Software Engineer Interview

It was a good experience over all. Know your basics, algorithms, sorting and searching techniques, know at least one programming language in and out. Think clearly, code correctly. Relax the night before, and prepare well in advance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Applied on the site, recruiters contacted with in a few weeks. The overall experience was negative because I felt the interviewer was a bit rude. I've interviewed with Apple, Google, FB as well and all the others have been positive experiences regardless of how the interview went.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Evertyging was very cool experience, I applied in the website, two weeks later they contacted me for a phone interview, so after that first contact passed 1 week for the phone interview and then 1 week more they contacted me again, they wanted an onsite interview, in 3 weeks. So I got ready for it.

I went the day of the interview, everything was nice, normal questions about design and algorithms, so far my day was excellent I felt like I was answering ok, until the end of the interview, it was at 3 pm, the last interviwer was late, I was waiting for him, he came more than 20 minutes late ( 3:22 ), then he apologized, then he gave me a question, I was in the middle of the answer when he said, its ok, i think we are out of time, and i felt kicked out ( 3:28). The last interview was only 4 minutes? I think he had a load of work or other appointments, I did not think I was answering that bad, the worst thing is I think he was the bar raiser, and I think I depended more in that interview than the others.

I don't know if its related, but the next day I lost a call (I was busy), from a back ground check company, since Amazon was the only company I was applying I imagined it was from them.

Two days after the on site interview they called me to say that they had no offer, but they wish I could apply again in a few weeks. I did not, since it took me 6 weeks preparing for the interview, so I lost interest.

Interview Questions
    • If you are a web administrator, and you receive an DDoS Attack, were there are "N millions" of hits at the same time, how do you avoid the servers going down?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

It was well organized and all the interviewers were on time. I interviewed with 4 different people and the technical questions were about string parsing, designing OOP classes and designing a directory (like in DOS)

Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • How would you add n items in Fibonacci Series?   View Answer