Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The interview wasn't bad. The initial interview was an online test. The coding part wasn't too bad. The multiple questions were time consuming though. The questions are small initially. Then they start getting huge and realize that should not have spent time on the smaller questions.

Interview Questions

• In the sequence of numbers what comes next?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I applied online and got an email the next day to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled one for within a week. It turned out that was a mistake. I should prepare more for the interview, since there are many things to study.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers, find the pairs that add up to a certain sum.
      Complexity analysis and ways to improve the algorithm.

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

After waiting for about 1 month, they email me to take an online accessment. OA contains two programming problems and 24 logical and reading problems. Two programming problems are grey code and string rotate.
    One week after OA, they email me to take a workstyle survey which has a lot of character problems. This part is simple.

Interview Questions

• Not so difficult, the two programming problem is simple to implement.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied in the career fair. Got a call for interview on campus. Two technical rounds back to back. 45 minutes each. First round was about data structures. Some general questions and asked to code one problem. Next round was about algorithms. Discussed the resume and project first and then asked to code one question.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online and received a reply back about a month later. I took a timed programming test online which included writing two programs and answering a bunch of behavioral questions. I was then called in for the onsite interviews which went on for about 5 hours. Each interview consisted of writing at least one program on a whiteboard and a few technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an email the next day to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled one within 3 days. It turned out that was a mistake. I did not get enough time to study and practice coding. I suggest to get at least about 2 weeks to prepare if you haven't done so.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers, find the pairs that add up to a certain sum.
      Complexity analysis and ways to improve your algorithm.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I am very disappointed at amazon.
    1) They only told me there will the 4-7 of 45 mins interivew back to back, and they will provide lunch. No interview schedule was included, and according to one of the video they sent me, I should get the schedule in the morning from frontdesk or recruiter.
    When I got their office at 8:45AM (scheduled time), I ended up waited until 9AM to see my 1st recruiter. When I asked him about my schedule, he has to pull me to another recruiter and the 2nd guy pulled it up from his phone and told me there will be 5 interviews. Then they both left and asked me to wait in the lobby again for a different recruiter who set up this interview
    9:10AM, an engineer went down to pick me up. He said he is my first interviewer and he was sitting in the room and waiting for me since 9AM. Apparently the recruiter screwed up....

2) The 4th interviewer has some allergy maybe, and kept on clearing his throat when I was writing code on the chrome book. I was distracted and annoyed, but don't want to be rude so I did not say anything. Still managed finished the code although it took longer because of the distraction.

3) When the 5th interviewer is done. She asked me if I already had lunch or something. I said no. So she pinged someone on IM and told me she is sorry, but I have to go for lunch by myself...

4) According to the recruiter I should get the result within 2 days, and I did not. So I pinged the recruiter on the 3rd day, and he told me they are still waiting for the last bit of feed back to be entered. Then 2 weeks later, I still did not even hear a word from him. Seriously? Don't I deserve an answer after spending 4+ hrs in the whole interview?

Most of the interviewers are smart and nice. But the whole interview process is very poorly organized. Why on earth they want to drag a local candidate to downtown seattle at 8:45AM just to finish the whole interview at 12:30PM?? so they don't have to provide lunch?

Look like there is no offer for me. That's ok, anyway I don't want to work for a company poorly managed like that.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are reasonable. The last question is harder, maybe that is the so called bar raising question   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Interview

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions

• What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   1 Answer
    • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   3 Answers
    • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   2 Answers
    • Online coding interview:
      Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
      // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15
      // return index 1&3

4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I had four rounds of interview for this position. I was asked various questions relating to data structures especially HashTables. They also asked me questions related to my resume. The HR was not very prompt in communication.

Interview Questions

• How to find the best combination of days to buy and sell stocks from the given array of prices.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Attended a hiring event on site. Was interning at another tech company and responded to an email mass mailed to my university regarding the event. Was flown out on their dime within a week. There were 4 separate interviews with one conducted by two engineers and another by an engineer and a manager. The interview was very simple and easy and left me expecting another round of interviews, but I received an offer within a week. I shared a cab with 3 other interviewees and they too were shocked by the basic interview questions. One was even very upset about the thought of another round of interviews given that he had a pending offer deadline. Everyone was very friendly though and it seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Very simple and common interview questions. They should not have been able to differentiate candidates with at least basic competency. This is probably due to the hiring event. They were interviewing dozens of candidates onsite every week.   Answer Question

Salary compared to other offers.