Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

It was recruting event. So there were a lot of people there. I had 4 interviews: 2 coding, 1 for object oriented design, 1 for system design (more or less). After that we had a lunch with 3 more candidates and 2 HRs. Questions on interviews were very common and not very diffucult.

Interview Questions
  • They were asking unexpected questions about working experience. For example, tell me the case where you were above expectations. All interviewers had this type of questions   Answer Question

I have a better offer from FB. But the team in Amazon is great too.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

There were supposed to be two phone screens, then an onsite interview. I only made it to the first phone screen. This was my first time interviewing, so I obviously had a lot of reviewing to do. It's really important that you verbalize your thought process, and this is where I was greatly lacking. The interviewer was friendly and was willing to discuss/walk through the problems with you.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were centered around Hash Tables. Complexity, amortized analysis (how would the mechanics work with chaining/open addressing?).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

Applied at career fair in my college. Got a call for a 1:1 interview on campus. Was asked to implement strstr() function in C. Gave a simple O(kn) solution where k is length of sub-string and n is the length of the original string.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

The recruiter contacted me because I had applied internship before. Then I got a coding challenge, including two coding questions and 25 logical questions. After one week, the recruiter notified me to schedule an on-site interview. The on-site interview includes four rounds, and 45 min for each. All interviewers are really nice.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2014.

I got one phone call interview. I heard that there will be a couple of more interview calls. but that was it for me. Interview questions are easy. And atmosphere was very very good. If i could not answer the question. they gave me a hint to get some answers.

Software Engineer Interview

Group interview, not really hard, with 2 other candidates. Each got a part of the project to complete individually, last for a day. The first part is group discussion for an hour and interviewers will come and ask question. Then each of the candidates will assign a part of the project and do it all by ourselves. There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.

Interview Questions
    • There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

It was all technical, i was expecting first the will talk about the company culture and all. But the questions were good . Design questions required some thinking. It was an overall good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I took the onsite interview on campus. The interview had two parts and each part was 45 minutes. At the first part, I was asked about my background, experience and interest. At the end of the first part, the engineer gave me an algorithm question. I was given two algorithm problems in the second part.

Interview Questions
    • Given a maze, find the way from top-left corner to bottom-right corner.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Initial Communication - One of their technical recruiters messaged me on LinkedIn expressing an interest in my skills. I ignored it. A couple months went by, and I decided looking for other career opportunities would be a good thing. I applied online for their Austin, TX positions. I also found a few of their technical recruiters on LinkedIn and messaged them.

I got a phone call from one of their technical recruiters. She was really nice and excited to talk to me. There were a couple questions about my work experience mostly to make sure that I was who I claimed I was on paper. The next step was a timed test online that they would record in real time. She also gave me a small document that was prep for the test listing various topics that the test would include. She also claimed 'do not exceed one hour' on the timed test.

To prepare for the test, I recommend googling for Amazon Test questions. They won't be exact, but you'll get in the habit of answering questions fast. The test was composed of three questions. 1) Write a series of classes for a graphics API. 2) Implement a breadth first traversal of some tree. 3) Implement a method for the fibonacci sequence.

Then a couple phone calls and email exchanges. "You Passed, we love you!". The next step is an onsite interview that lasts 2-4 hours.

The onsite interview consisted of meeting with pairs of people. One of them was the lead interviewer, the other was someone who had started within the last six months and was there more to take notes. The first group seemed unhappy to be there at all. It didn't matter what I said. It was straight to the white board for more technical tests. This group asked questions about implementing a bit map editor. They purposely would ask vague questions with the expectation that you will ask them questions to figure out what they are really wanting answered. They would ask questions about big O notation. They would ask questions about memory usage. The next group was similar.

I asked each of the groups if they would be my actual coworkers. The answer was no across the board. I did want to meet whom I would actually be working with. The people I met in the interview seemed like they didn't want to be there. Toward the end of one of the groups, I thought of a better implementation to a question I answered. They responded, "We're out of time". They definitely had the attitude of "People apply here everyday, Anyone is replaceable, No one is unique"

I'm guessing I didn't pass their in-person technical test, but I wasn't too crazy about working with them either.

Interview Questions
    • For a bitmap editor, given an x,y location and a color, write a series of methods for a Fill operation like the paint bucket, except only change the color of the outer boundary of what would be filled.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

First I applied online. Then after few weeks or a month, I got an email about an onsite interview. It was a group interview. Candidates are seperated into groups of 3 persons. The interview was from 9AM to 4 PM.