Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on the website under the university section. Received an email from recruiter and setup two 45 mins tech screens with engineers. Spent the first few minutes learning about their role, as well as explaining my background/interest. No specifics questions just general. Then one coding question. I was asked to write an algorithm to compute square root. The other call asked me to reverse a Linked List.

Interview Questions
  • 1 ) Algorithm to compute square root that handles perfect and non-perfect squares.
    2) Reverse a LinkedList

View Answers (3)

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

first came up with introduction of the job and the interviewer, then some behavior question like most challenge part of your past project had been asked. and one of the question is from leetcode. and the other question is very practical associate with Python. like give you a thousands of websites and extract all the phone number.

Interview Questions
    • they ask me some OOD question in phone interview which is I was not expected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

On-campus interview, I failed on the first interview. I was asked to solved an algorithm problem and an OO problem. The OO problem is card problem, and it is exactly same as the one in cracking code.

Software Engineer Interview

It was a good experience over all. Know your basics, algorithms, sorting and searching techniques, know at least one programming language in and out. Think clearly, code correctly. Relax the night before, and prepare well in advance.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Applied on the site, recruiters contacted with in a few weeks. The overall experience was negative because I felt the interviewer was a bit rude. I've interviewed with Apple, Google, FB as well and all the others have been positive experiences regardless of how the interview went.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Evertyging was very cool experience, I applied in the website, two weeks later they contacted me for a phone interview, so after that first contact passed 1 week for the phone interview and then 1 week more they contacted me again, they wanted an onsite interview, in 3 weeks. So I got ready for it.

I went the day of the interview, everything was nice, normal questions about design and algorithms, so far my day was excellent I felt like I was answering ok, until the end of the interview, it was at 3 pm, the last interviwer was late, I was waiting for him, he came more than 20 minutes late ( 3:22 ), then he apologized, then he gave me a question, I was in the middle of the answer when he said, its ok, i think we are out of time, and i felt kicked out ( 3:28). The last interview was only 4 minutes? I think he had a load of work or other appointments, I did not think I was answering that bad, the worst thing is I think he was the bar raiser, and I think I depended more in that interview than the others.

I don't know if its related, but the next day I lost a call (I was busy), from a back ground check company, since Amazon was the only company I was applying I imagined it was from them.

Two days after the on site interview they called me to say that they had no offer, but they wish I could apply again in a few weeks. I did not, since it took me 6 weeks preparing for the interview, so I lost interest.

Interview Questions
    • If you are a web administrator, and you receive an DDoS Attack, were there are "N millions" of hits at the same time, how do you avoid the servers going down?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

It was well organized and all the interviewers were on time. I interviewed with 4 different people and the technical questions were about string parsing, designing OOP classes and designing a directory (like in DOS)

Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • How would you add n items in Fibonacci Series?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I was contacted by a polite recruiter through LinkedIn. She arranged a phone interview for me. The guy that talked to me was very polite. The questions were of incremental difficulty. He started by asking basic data structures questions and then we did some coding.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

I talked with a recruiter, then a technical phone screen with coding problems, followed by an on site interview with 6 sessions, 5 technical and one with HR. Technical questions covered things like graph problems, sorting streams of integers, checking if a given list of words are contained in a magazine. Every problem was coupled with an analysis of computational complexity and memory trade offs.

Interview Questions
    • How would you optimize the recipient of IPC message packets so that all messages are stored in a database with high throughout despite a (relatively) slow database connection.   Answer Question