Amazon.com Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Austin, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

Initial Communication - One of their technical recruiters messaged me on LinkedIn expressing an interest in my skills. I ignored it. A couple months went by, and I decided looking for other career opportunities would be a good thing. I applied online for their Austin, TX positions. I also found a few of their technical recruiters on LinkedIn and messaged them.

I got a phone call from one of their technical recruiters. She was really nice and excited to talk to me. There were a couple questions about my work experience mostly to make sure that I was who I claimed I was on paper. The next step was a timed test online that they would record in real time. She also gave me a small document that was prep for the test listing various topics that the test would include. She also claimed 'do not exceed one hour' on the timed test.

To prepare for the test, I recommend googling for Amazon Test questions. They won't be exact, but you'll get in the habit of answering questions fast. The test was composed of three questions. 1) Write a series of classes for a graphics API. 2) Implement a breadth first traversal of some tree. 3) Implement a method for the fibonacci sequence.

Then a couple phone calls and email exchanges. "You Passed, we love you!". The next step is an onsite interview that lasts 2-4 hours.

The onsite interview consisted of meeting with pairs of people. One of them was the lead interviewer, the other was someone who had started within the last six months and was there more to take notes. The first group seemed unhappy to be there at all. It didn't matter what I said. It was straight to the white board for more technical tests. This group asked questions about implementing a bit map editor. They purposely would ask vague questions with the expectation that you will ask them questions to figure out what they are really wanting answered. They would ask questions about big O notation. They would ask questions about memory usage. The next group was similar.

I asked each of the groups if they would be my actual coworkers. The answer was no across the board. I did want to meet whom I would actually be working with. The people I met in the interview seemed like they didn't want to be there. Toward the end of one of the groups, I thought of a better implementation to a question I answered. They responded, "We're out of time". They definitely had the attitude of "People apply here everyday, Anyone is replaceable, No one is unique"

I'm guessing I didn't pass their in-person technical test, but I wasn't too crazy about working with them either.

Interview Questions

• For a bitmap editor, given an x,y location and a color, write a series of methods for a Fill operation like the paint bucket, except only change the color of the outer boundary of what would be filled.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

First I applied online. Then after few weeks or a month, I got an email about an onsite interview. It was a group interview. Candidates are seperated into groups of 3 persons. The interview was from 9AM to 4 PM.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Interviewed with 5 people total. One of them was very nice and friendly. All the others were impersonal and mechanical. Could tell it was a everyone man for himself kind of culture.

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't hard, but hard to impress the bar raiser interviewer, who has veto power and mandated to hire people better than 50% of the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Applied on the website under the university section. Received an email from recruiter and setup two 45 mins tech screens with engineers. Spent the first few minutes learning about their role, as well as explaining my background/interest. No specifics questions just general. Then one coding question. I was asked to write an algorithm to compute square root. The other call asked me to reverse a Linked List.

Interview Questions

• 1 ) Algorithm to compute square root that handles perfect and non-perfect squares.
      2) Reverse a LinkedList

3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2014.

Interview

If you're familiar with the interview process among the West-coast based technology companies, then Amazon's process will not be a surprise to you.

Phase 1 starts with the application being submitted and reviewed, or a recruiter contacting you to understand where you might fit in with a good position. You might need to answer basic technical questions for "placement" reasons.

Phase 2 includes multiple 1 hour phone screens across several weeks involving behavior and technical questions. Phone connections and speakerphone quality will make these phase a nightmare. You will need to code in a shared window on CollabEdit or Google Docs. You might be asked to describe some past projects that you're proud of working on, but don't expect to be asked details about your resume. I'm not even sure my resume was referenced at any point during the process.

Phase 3 will have you invited to Seattle (or whichever facility you would work at) for onsite interviews. The interview started near 8:00 AM and ended around 3:00 PM. There was a lunch interview (yes, coding on a whiteboard was required while eating food, seriously?) Overall, there were approximately 6 interviews, some of which included group panels. It's stressful, tiring, and rather ridiculous after answering the same types of academic questions for hours and hours on end.

Overall, the process was negative. I spent multiple hours in redundant phone screens, used 3 days of vacation time to travel and interview, and was given a standard response of "Not moving forward with your application" after surviving the onsite gauntlet.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement the feature on a product page which shows "People also purchased..."
      Parsing a log of purchase activity
      A-B testing related question

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview

first came up with introduction of the job and the interviewer, then some behavior question like most challenge part of your past project had been asked. and one of the question is from leetcode. and the other question is very practical associate with Python. like give you a thousands of websites and extract all the phone number.

Interview Questions

• they ask me some OOD question in phone interview which is I was not expected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

On-campus interview, I failed on the first interview. I was asked to solved an algorithm problem and an OO problem. The OO problem is card problem, and it is exactly same as the one in cracking code.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was a good experience over all. Know your basics, algorithms, sorting and searching techniques, know at least one programming language in and out. Think clearly, code correctly. Relax the night before, and prepare well in advance.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied on the site, recruiters contacted with in a few weeks. The overall experience was negative because I felt the interviewer was a bit rude. I've interviewed with Apple, Google, FB as well and all the others have been positive experiences regardless of how the interview went.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (Irvine, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Evertyging was very cool experience, I applied in the website, two weeks later they contacted me for a phone interview, so after that first contact passed 1 week for the phone interview and then 1 week more they contacted me again, they wanted an onsite interview, in 3 weeks. So I got ready for it.

I went the day of the interview, everything was nice, normal questions about design and algorithms, so far my day was excellent I felt like I was answering ok, until the end of the interview, it was at 3 pm, the last interviwer was late, I was waiting for him, he came more than 20 minutes late ( 3:22 ), then he apologized, then he gave me a question, I was in the middle of the answer when he said, its ok, i think we are out of time, and i felt kicked out ( 3:28). The last interview was only 4 minutes? I think he had a load of work or other appointments, I did not think I was answering that bad, the worst thing is I think he was the bar raiser, and I think I depended more in that interview than the others.

I don't know if its related, but the next day I lost a call (I was busy), from a back ground check company, since Amazon was the only company I was applying I imagined it was from them.

Two days after the on site interview they called me to say that they had no offer, but they wish I could apply again in a few weeks. I did not, since it took me 6 weeks preparing for the interview, so I lost interest.

Interview Questions

• If you are a web administrator, and you receive an DDoS Attack, were there are "N millions" of hits at the same time, how do you avoid the servers going down?   Answer Question