Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

663 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – phone interview, 2 parts, each part cost 50 minutes.
first talk about my projects, and:
Suppose there is array contains 100 unsorted elements ...say a[1] to a[100].
find out the minimum and maximum value in the range of a[25] to a[75].
second:
You have got 2 strings(S1, S2) and 1 character(c1). All inputs to be taken from user. You need to check for the character c1 in String S1, and wherever you find the character, you need to replace it with the string S2.
Next Write all possible test cases to test the program.
It can be possible that the character c1 is appearing more than once in the String s1.
Clause - You are not allowed to use any Java Library methods in it. Not even charAt() method.

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Two consecutive interviews, asked a lot about data structures. Was not hard, but make sure you know time constants and data structure basics.

Interview Question – Copying a tree   View Answer

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Got the interview through a school career fair. Called me in for an initial interview, which was pretty straight forward. Second round interview was a bit more difficult. Seemed like the company culture is pretty intense, as both of my interviewers were in a rush and didn't look thrilled to be at the job.

Interview Question – Traverse a binary search tree, verify whether a given tree is a binary search tree or not. Not the most difficult question, but make sure to know the details.   Answer Question

Interview Details – did a onsite review. signed NDA, so can not say anyting

Interview Question – not much difficult   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – submitted resume online and firstly the email about online assessment, then will be the 4 round on-site in Seattle

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Apply online, and then get a phone call from HR two days later to schedule a online interview. I took the online interview 3 days later and then was told I was rejected. In the online interview, I have to work on a problem, and then I have to explain why I have to choose such Algorithm, and any other ways.

Interview Question – Any other ways to do this problem, and why and how   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – I got an email link for a online coding test. Then I had the onsite opportunity, being interviewed by four person separately. Most of the questions are about basic algorithms such as BST, DFS, etc.
First two guy I met was great. They'd been helpful, but the third one didn't show enough communication willing, just typed what I coded on his laptop.

Interview Question – Implementing least-recently-used cache. Because I didn't have experience with cache techniques, so I got an awkward moment with the interviewee explaining the LRU cache.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – Basic Data structures Questions. Analysis of code written. No pseudo code allowed.

Interview Question – Combinations of nodes in BST based on the sum. Like display all the nodes whose key values sum to 10   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had another opportunity

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Was approached via email from university recruiting. Did an online problem set for an hour then got an in-person interview.

Interview Question – Design a database that fit specific criteria.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn for a local Amazon interview event at my area. I sent my resume and was invited to the event, which was held in a hotel in the area. When I got there the interview day, I was told that there can be up to 4 interviews, which was the number of interviews I had. (I saw some people getting cut short after 3 interviews.) 3 of the 4 interviews were pretty much coding exercises, 1 one was a design question. They ranged from average to difficult, but not that different from what you'd expect from companies like Microsoft, Google, etc. Overall, it was an enjoyable and well organized experience.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary - some questions were harder than the others   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com