Amazon.com Software Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Lengthy 5 interview 5 hour non-stop interview sessions. 7 people total. Location was had a very industrial feel to it with little air circulation. With the exception of one of the interviewers, they acted like you should be bowing to the altar of Amazon for the privilege of being there.

Interview Questions

• Lots of "tell me about a time when you...." Or "describe a time when you could have done something better...." They were very open ended and nebulous. They made you feel like a hospital patient undergoing some sort of experimental treatment as they had "interview trainees" along for the ride. The last interview was by a senior person who blew significant smoke. Lastly and most annoyingly is that they continually took "notes" on their computers as you talked.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Got my resume in via networking. I received an email with an online test a week after. The test took place on Amazon's own online assessment website where I had to take a photo with my face and student ID (Note, that a webcam is necessary for this test). There were three rounds: one debugging, one IQ test and one coding round. The coding round could only be done in Java, C or C++, though the questions for the C++ were written in C, so it doesn't really matter. No answer ever since the interview.

Interview Questions

• Codes for some primitive sorting or swapping algorithms. Be careful to not change the approach of the base code.   Answer Question
    • Some basic IQ tests and behavioral questions. Prepare a notepad to work more efficiently.   Answer Question
    • Some binary tree exercises   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2015.

Interview

An Amazon recruiter contacted me saying their speech and language team is interested in me. During the screen interview with the recruiter, she explained the whole interview process in Amazon including: 2 phone call interviews for everything listed on my resume, 1 coding question (Amazon sent me an email with a link for coding test) would be in either the first or the second phone interview. After the 2 phone interview, an on-site interview including a 30~40 min presentation and 5 1-1/1-2 interview will be held. My first phone interview asked me some speech recognition works I listed on my resume, also some machine learning questions, e.g., what is the difference between generative and discriminative models? what is SVM? why SVM need to use kernel? how SVM calculate the inner product in the high dimension space? what is PCA? what is LDA? what's the difference between PCA and LDA? how LDA measure the discriminant? No coding question was asked in this interview. After 3 days of the first phone interview, Amazon scheduled with me the second phone interview. The second phone interview which held in the next week was more formal and more speech technique oriented. There are two interviewer from Amazon speech team on the telephone interviewing me. It was a busy scheduled interview, which asked me a lot of details about my previous speech related research works, behavior questions, speech recognition technique details (e.g., how to build a speech recognition system from scratch? how to initialize the acoustic model at beginning? Why EM algorithm works? Explain Good-Turing and Kneser-Ney language model smoothing. How to do decoding (speech recognition)? and lots of other similar questions ) , and a coding question: given a dictionary and a character string, try to write a function segmenting the character string into a sequence of words listed in the dictionary. I didn't prepared well for this interview, so no follow up.

Interview Questions

• given a dictionary and a character string, try to write a function segmenting the character string into a sequence of words listed in the dictionary   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Chicago, IL).

Interview

There was a phone interview and C coding assignment. This was a stretch for me because I had not coded in a very long time although in some ways it was like riding a bike. The interview may have ended prematurely because of my inability to move to Seattle.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I would be able to move to Seattle. I don't remember if a relocation package was available.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Detroit, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

One phone interview and one onsite interview consisting of talking with five people. The phone interview was simple, just like chatting with a friend. The onsite was more serious, however the people were nice and the problems were reasonable. The decision was fast. I performed not well, so I failed.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers, rotate it one position.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR recruiter from Amazon. After first screening phone call with HR I had 45 minutes phone interview. The interview included shared dashboard where I had to write code. I hadn't prepared to the phone interview and it was my big mistake. Two main findings for myself from this experience: practice coding using paper/whiteboard/notepad and refresh you memory about algorithms and data structures before interview.

Interview Questions

• Return k most frequent words in the text. Subsequent questions: what if we have very large text file? Can we distribute this process for multiple machines? What if we have limited memory?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

The process started out with taking an easy online assessment of 7 questions. After that was completed I had an over the phone technical interview that lasted for about 45 minutes and consisted of one multipart question. The interviewer was helpful in getting me through parts of the problem which I stumbled on and over all it was a good experience. Other than the technical question the interviewer was also very interested in what I have done outside of school (programming oriented side projects in particular).

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, serialize it into a string that can later be parsed and used to rebuild the original tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview. The interview has two back-to-back rounds and each take forty five minutes. The interview questions are easy and the recruiters are very nice. The process was delightful.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2015.

Interview

four round on compus, it is excited to take part in it, all the interviewer is nice. And the question is not too hard. Use some basic method is OK, however the follow up will be a little hard

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online on amazon.jobs, but their online job board is crappy and full of bugs. After one week, I got email from Amazon.com recruiter from India, wanting me to do their code assessment from HackerRank.com. There were 10 different coding assignment that you need to complete in very less time. Out of 10, 9 of them were correct but did not get time to finish the 10th one. I emailed the recruiter who lived in India that I finished the code assignment and I got email stating, he will sent to team for review. After one month, I did not get feedback. I emailed him after one and half month, another recruiter from India stated on email that I am not being selected. Basically they are not looking for human, but Robot to do their software engineer work. Their interview process is JOKE!!!

Interview Questions

• 10 different coding data structure assignment in very less time via HackerRank.com   Answer Question