Amazon.com

Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.3

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I got into Amazon's loop because my friend who works there recommended me for a position. There was a quick round of communication to set up a phone interview with the team, and they gave me a description of the position and a packet about preparing for the interview, although the packet didn't really address the question they asked.

Interview Questions
  • The interviewer essentially spent the entire hour asking questions about the first project I mentioned from my latest job, getting into an almost uncomfortable level of detail and definitely beyond what I remembered well.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

Very professional and organized process. Recruiting people are great. First a phone call from the recruiter. Second a 30 min interview with a director, pretty high level, and then another interview with a TPM which is more detailed.
    I was then invited to travel to the HQ in Seattle for a marathon of 5 interviews, with TPMs and Directors, four of them 1:1 and one 2:1.
    You can tell they interview a lot of people, some interviewers tried to show some interest others were in auto-pilot mode, asking the same questions and getting the same answers for the hundredth time can sure be boring.
    In the end, all folks very professional, doing their job, but I did miss some small talk, non-scripted talk, maybe 5 minutes after each interview, where you get to know the people better. I left with the impression that I talked to 6 machines that were programmed to ask questions and drilling them down to the core.
    From the Glassdoor reviews I learned that only one in four candidates who come to this stage get an offer letter, so I already knew my chances were slim. Anyways I flew over to gain experience and improve my interview game. Also I got to know the company and it's people, on which I don't think I would fit in.

Interview Questions
    • Can not specify a question due to NDA, but there are many questions about past projects and request to solution some problem. Nothing too exotic, however on interview #4 or #5 I confess I got sick and tired of talking the same things over and over. Incidentally the more important interviews are the last ones, maybe on purpose :) But at that point I already knew I did not want to be an Amazonian.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

They found me via Linked In.
    Sent me a glaring email about how exciting it would be to part of the Amazon Prime Team.
    And asked me would you be able to attend the recruiting event in Raleigh , NC ? I said YES, few days later they send me the online test ( via hackerrank). The online test was scenario specific about Prime Shipping . Very easy to answer. There was a 2 hour time limit too.
    After few days recruiter sent me official invitation. I was also told that regardless of PASS/FAIL of the hackerrank test result feedback would be given. They never sent me such response.
    After few weeks , they sent me the timeslots to choose for Raleigh, NC and accordingly they booked the hotel and sent me the travel details. I drove to Interivew location.

The interview was in a Marriott hotel. There was a reception area ( basically a Marriott room ) where there and liquid refreshment ( soda, water )was provided and a brochure about Amazon.com and living in Seattle. Recruiter showed us the interview room ( each candidate was assigned the room ) and told that basically you go at 9 AM in this room and wait for your interviewer to arrive. And interview conclude in 50 minutes then you can return to the reception area for refreshment, it was three hour long interview process.

All three hours, they keep asking scenario based questions, I kept asking follow up questions and continued to ask clarifying question , my clarifying question was sometime razor sharp that they themselves are fumbling to find the answer. Question were like if you have Amazon Prime Team and Amazon Music Team, and you are supposed to launch the Amazon Music product and there was no work done so far to do it , how would you go about launching the product ?

Another one about extending the Amazon product page and adding the auction capability how would you design entities ? I used whiteboard to explain the scenario.

Tell me something you do outside of your normal work ?
    What would you do if two teams are not talking with each other but their integration is required in certain project ?

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing was that interviewer were very positive their body language etc was like that you are doing a really GOOD JOB ! But sometime you are not !   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon is a big name and work wise you may have great exposure. You may think you have all good reasons to work for this company which is doing great financially and leading way technologically. Those were the reason I went after Amazon. Just to end up in sadness and frustration.

The recruiter part is very standard , it followed by hiring manager interviewing for 1 hr. Apparently I cleared that and was excited. I got called in for on site interview and 4-7 persons were to interview.

The hiring manager took the first one. His boss second , peer Dev manager, Product manager , and again two Dev managers- one was just shadowing.

I believe they were testing me on the amazon leadership values that recruiter had emailed . I had plenty of example on those to offer. The level of questions went up , up and up. I was also asked to write code, draw architecture, , situational questions. etc.

Over all expect a lot of questions on Amz's values and architecture.

The interview went well in my opinion. My self I am a manager of one department and didn't sense any discomfort or wrong track. Of course until I received the call of "Thank you "

Amazon is a great company if you want exposure. But the interview process is too much to deal with.
    Amazon does have a high employee churn,

Sadly, when I asked for some feedback I was told that they don't share any. If there is an HR person on this blog -- dude look into this. People are successful out side Amazon too. You are hurting and spending a lot of energy on finding people.

Amz seems to look one person to substitute 5 different roles.

Atleast provide feedback

Interview Questions
    • What is that you don't want to do ? It was an interesting question because all we think a lot about what we want to do.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The experience was positive. Had 2 over the phone interviews. The first call was from the person who used to have this position and had moved on to a new team. She was very nice and we had a good conversation for an hour. Second call was with a development manager that works with the team. The second interviewer was more authoritative and kept me on my heals the entire interview. I knew I wasn't on my a game during that interview.

The HR recruiter was pleasant and responsive

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

ProveRbs interview loop was as expected however being constantly bombarded with trying to think of past failures was way too emphasized versus challenges faced and overcome. I believe that instead of letting the interviwers control the process, taking control and exploring valid areas such as challenges, successes. Or pertinent data geared toward the job. Rather than the "script" on their laptop.

Interview Questions
    • Can you talk about a time that you made an extremely bad career decision?

Think about a time that you made a bad career choice?

Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Applied through an Amazon employee. Recruiter was very communicative. Case based interview. From scheduling the interview to reaching to a decision, everything was done in a timely manner with minimal wait. Questions were centered around leadership, decision making and problem solving. Interviewer was professional and friendly. I like Amazon, so will keep looking for future opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not unexpected, but I could have taken more time to think them through.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

17 years of industry experience. Multiple letters of commendation from executives. But the interviewer spent nearly the time grilling me on my answer to "explain a time at work when you failed to accomplish you goal". He did not ask anything about the content on the resume. Did not establish his expectations on what he is looking for in a candidate. Didn't express any interest in getting to know the whole me. Perhaps that is the Amazon way.

Out of the gate they want to know why you choose to apply at amazon.

Interview Questions
    • explain a time at work when you failed to accomplish you goal   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

The interview process was very straightforward: 1) the recruiter approached me; and we had the first screening chat; 2) I had the interview with one Senior Program Manager; He asked me behavioral and technical questions. Questions were quite general and scenario based mainly related to managing difficult situations during production outage, etc.; 3) then another interview with another TPM; he asked me more in depth technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • They are all different but I can suggest you: 1) prepare compelling stories on how you effectively managed people and solved technical / business problems; 2) Be ready for algorithm complexity questions, so check at least wiki to refresh your knowledge on data structures and algorithms; 3) Prepare your own questions before interview.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The interview process was very straightforward: 1) the recruiter approached me; and we had the first screening chat; 2) I had the interview with one Senior Program Manager; She asked me behavioural and technical - high level - questions on digital TV and content management; 3) then another interview with a Senior Engineer; he asked me more in depth technical questions. Overall it went well, however I got their "I'm sorry you are not the right fit because..." note a couple of days after. It was very funny as the day before I had an interview with one of their major client, Netflix, and it did not go well. I wonder if these two thinks are related and they talked to each other, eg. via Linkedin, party lines, etc.

Interview Questions
    • They are all different but I can suggest you: 1) Don't make up things; 2) prepare compelling stories on how you effectively managed people and solved technical / business problems; 3) remember that the interviewed are professionals like you and one day you might work together as vendor, client or business partners.   Answer Question