Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
54 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Program Manager

I interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through an Amazon employee. Recruiter was very communicative. Case based interview. From scheduling the interview to reaching to a decision, everything was done in a timely manner with minimal wait. Questions were centered around leadership, decision making and problem solving. Interviewer was professional and friendly. I like Amazon, so will keep looking for future opportunities.

Interview Question – Questions were not unexpected, but I could have taken more time to think them through.   Answer Question

Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter from AWS reached out to me for an initial telephone interview. This was followed by another technical screening within a week. Questions were quite general and scenario based mainly related to managing difficult situations during production outage, etc. I received an email within couple hours that they would like to have another technical phone interview with senior manager. Again the questions ranged from managing a team and different project management scenarios. After going through 3 telephone interviews, got an email after 1 - 2 weeks for on-site (Herndon, VA) interview with AWS team members. This was a 5 and a half hour interview with 6 different people ranging from TPM, Software Development Manager, etc. It sure was quite intense and you really have to know what you are talking about. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Question – Draw and define a software architecture diagram and explain how would you handle encryption along each transition phase of the data?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – ProveRbs interview loop was as expected however being constantly bombarded with trying to think of past failures was way too emphasized versus challenges faced and overcome. I believe that instead of letting the interviwers control the process, taking control and exploring valid areas such as challenges, successes. Or pertinent data geared toward the job. Rather than the "script" on their laptop.

Interview Question – Can you talk about a time that you made an extremely bad career decision?

Think about a time that you made a bad career choice?
  Answer Question

Technical Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview Details – 17 years of industry experience. Multiple letters of commendation from executives. But the interviewer spent nearly the time grilling me on my answer to "explain a time at work when you failed to accomplish you goal". He did not ask anything about the content on the resume. Did not establish his expectations on what he is looking for in a candidate. Didn't express any interest in getting to know the whole me. Perhaps that is the Amazon way.

Out of the gate they want to know why you choose to apply at amazon.

Interview Question – explain a time at work when you failed to accomplish you goal   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straightforward: 1) the recruiter approached me; and we had the first screening chat; 2) I had the interview with one Senior Program Manager; She asked me behavioural and technical - high level - questions on digital TV and content management; 3) then another interview with a Senior Engineer; he asked me more in depth technical questions. Overall it went well, however I got their "I'm sorry you are not the right fit because..." note a couple of days after. It was very funny as the day before I had an interview with one of their major client, Netflix, and it did not go well. I wonder if these two thinks are related and they talked to each other, eg. via Linkedin, party lines, etc.

Interview Question – They are all different but I can suggest you: 1) Don't make up things; 2) prepare compelling stories on how you effectively managed people and solved technical / business problems; 3) remember that the interviewed are professionals like you and one day you might work together as vendor, client or business partners.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager

I interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – Excellent when it comes to scheduling interview and providing information regarding the process and interviewees. But they never got back to me

Interview Question – How will i calculate the angle between the hour hand and minute hand if I am provided with time in HH:MM format   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was referred by my ex-colleague. After an initial phone screen which was supposed to be technical, turned out to be half technical and half project management. I was fairly detailed with some interesting situational questions. I didnt hear after the interview for a few days and was a little anxious. When I inquired, the HR sent me a note to schedule the onsite interview. I was expecting a second round of phone screen. The onsite loop was good mix of technical and project management with dev managers and TPMs. Lunch with manager went well although I must say, explaining a system landscape and technical architecture over food is quite tricky. The final interview was with a bar raiser and the key question asked was, "tell me about a time when you have taken something completely outside your comfort zone".
The folks are pretty quick in amazon and I got a call in 2 days to discuss the opportunity and negotiate. In general, I would say, prepare well and structure your thoughts on what you want to speak. Dont need to speak about dozens of projects you have done, just focus on a few but explain in detail. Folks in Amazon love to get into the nth degree of detail. Even if you feel some of the situation questions are impossible, dont get frustrated. The key intent is to understand how you deal with ambiguous and complex situations. You dont have to have answers for everything, its the thought process that matters. A lot of folks dont make the T (technical mark) and while the questions are not dev level but you should be able to talk architecture and challenge a dev. Just remember, TPM is the big picture guy in Amazon and is the bridge between devs, dev managers, product managers and across teams. They have to traverse up and down and side ways so breadth is important but should have the ability to dive deep as well.

Interview Question – Cant say due to NDA   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didnt have much room for negotiation since I realized my ask was already on the higher end of their spectrum for this role. They matched my ask

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews with one Onsite interview

Interview Question – How to identify defected products from an Amazon FC which aren't labelled by the supplier ?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied Online.
2 Phone interviews.
5 interviews onsite.

The phone interviews focused on architecture and design questions.

During the onsite interviews, I was asked a number of behavioral questions and architecture/design questions. Additionally, there were some project management/ agile methods questions. It was apparent that you need to have a minimum of 5 years of industry experience to satisfactorily answer their questions.

I am a recent college graduate with no prior industry experience. The team that originally considered me was not the team that I interviewed with onsite. Though I have an advanced degree, I feel that my lack of industry experience was the reason that I did not receive an offer.

I do not understand as to why they even considered me for such a senior position given that they needed the candidate to have sufficient industry experience.

It was a very nice experience. The interviewers were very respectful. They were not condescending. I learned a lot from them.

I wish they had been clearer about their requirements. I would have loved to work for Amazon.

Interview Question – System design questions: The focus was on the design of the data stores and scaling the systems.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2012.

Interview Details – This feedback is for several interviews for multiple Program Manager positions at Amazon. They have 1 to 3 phone screens before they agree to have an on-site interview. The phone screens focus on your background and a few "what if" work scenarios for software development.

After you pass the phone screens, they will have you interview with 4 to 6 people in one day at their offices. The goal of these interviews are to test your knowledge and experience managing projects across teams, defining road maps, and general problem solving.

Then it takes a few weeks for them to get back to you (depending on their schedules)

Interview Question – They have basic project management questions and also ask you to define the logic to solve a problem (that can be solved programatically). For example, how many buses are needed for a particular bus depot given a specific schedule.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Technical Program Manager interview questions and advice. All 54 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.