Amazon.com Technical Program Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

57 interviews

3.3

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Program Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Phone Screen - Discussed my projects, problems solved, typical day, etc
How will you launch Kindle in a new country

In-house - 4 rounds
Design Amazon home page
Describe most complex and challenging project. - architecture, problems, design discussions, etc
Resolving a conflict
Managing timelines and deliverables when people do not report to you

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Amazon is a big name and work wise you may have great exposure. You may think you have all good reasons to work for this company which is doing great financially and leading way technologically. Those were the reason I went after Amazon. Just to end up in sadness and frustration.

The recruiter part is very standard , it followed by hiring manager interviewing for 1 hr. Apparently I cleared that and was excited. I got called in for on site interview and 4-7 persons were to interview.

The hiring manager took the first one. His boss second , peer Dev manager, Product manager , and again two Dev managers- one was just shadowing.

I believe they were testing me on the amazon leadership values that recruiter had emailed . I had plenty of example on those to offer. The level of questions went up , up and up. I was also asked to write code, draw architecture, , situational questions. etc.

Over all expect a lot of questions on Amz's values and architecture.

The interview went well in my opinion. My self I am a manager of one department and didn't sense any discomfort or wrong track. Of course until I received the call of "Thank you "

Amazon is a great company if you want exposure. But the interview process is too much to deal with.
    Amazon does have a high employee churn,

Sadly, when I asked for some feedback I was told that they don't share any. If there is an HR person on this blog -- dude look into this. People are successful out side Amazon too. You are hurting and spending a lot of energy on finding people.

Amz seems to look one person to substitute 5 different roles.

Atleast provide feedback

Interview Questions
    • What is that you don't want to do ? It was an interesting question because all we think a lot about what we want to do.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

The experience was positive. Had 2 over the phone interviews. The first call was from the person who used to have this position and had moved on to a new team. She was very nice and we had a good conversation for an hour. Second call was with a development manager that works with the team. The second interviewer was more authoritative and kept me on my heals the entire interview. I knew I wasn't on my a game during that interview.

The HR recruiter was pleasant and responsive

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter and started with a phone screen that went well. In person interviews also were a good experience, all the interviewers with the exception of the actual hiring manager were good!

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were pretty standard PM questions ranging from design to interpersonal skills   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Applied through an Amazon employee. Recruiter was very communicative. Case based interview. From scheduling the interview to reaching to a decision, everything was done in a timely manner with minimal wait. Questions were centered around leadership, decision making and problem solving. Interviewer was professional and friendly. I like Amazon, so will keep looking for future opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not unexpected, but I could have taken more time to think them through.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

ProveRbs interview loop was as expected however being constantly bombarded with trying to think of past failures was way too emphasized versus challenges faced and overcome. I believe that instead of letting the interviwers control the process, taking control and exploring valid areas such as challenges, successes. Or pertinent data geared toward the job. Rather than the "script" on their laptop.

Interview Questions
    • Can you talk about a time that you made an extremely bad career decision?

Think about a time that you made a bad career choice?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The recruiter from AWS reached out to me for an initial telephone interview. This was followed by another technical screening within a week. Questions were quite general and scenario based mainly related to managing difficult situations during production outage, etc. I received an email within couple hours that they would like to have another technical phone interview with senior manager. Again the questions ranged from managing a team and different project management scenarios. After going through 3 telephone interviews, got an email after 1 - 2 weeks for on-site (Herndon, VA) interview with AWS team members. This was a 5 and a half hour interview with 6 different people ranging from TPM, Software Development Manager, etc. It sure was quite intense and you really have to know what you are talking about. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Draw and define a software architecture diagram and explain how would you handle encryption along each transition phase of the data?   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

17 years of industry experience. Multiple letters of commendation from executives. But the interviewer spent nearly the time grilling me on my answer to "explain a time at work when you failed to accomplish you goal". He did not ask anything about the content on the resume. Did not establish his expectations on what he is looking for in a candidate. Didn't express any interest in getting to know the whole me. Perhaps that is the Amazon way.

Out of the gate they want to know why you choose to apply at amazon.

Interview Questions
    • explain a time at work when you failed to accomplish you goal   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The interview process was very straightforward: 1) the recruiter approached me; and we had the first screening chat; 2) I had the interview with one Senior Program Manager; She asked me behavioural and technical - high level - questions on digital TV and content management; 3) then another interview with a Senior Engineer; he asked me more in depth technical questions. Overall it went well, however I got their "I'm sorry you are not the right fit because..." note a couple of days after. It was very funny as the day before I had an interview with one of their major client, Netflix, and it did not go well. I wonder if these two thinks are related and they talked to each other, eg. via Linkedin, party lines, etc.

Interview Questions
    • They are all different but I can suggest you: 1) Don't make up things; 2) prepare compelling stories on how you effectively managed people and solved technical / business problems; 3) remember that the interviewed are professionals like you and one day you might work together as vendor, client or business partners.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Excellent when it comes to scheduling interview and providing information regarding the process and interviewees. But they never got back to me

Interview Questions
    • How will i calculate the angle between the hour hand and minute hand if I am provided with time in HH:MM format   View Answer

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!