Amazon.com Technical Recruiter Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very positive experience. The hiring manager was very responsive and transparent, did an awesome job in preparing me on what to expect during the interview. The interviewers were kind and friendly, with a positive attitude

Because of comp

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

Was reached out to via LinkedIN by a recruiter. Applied on website and contacted by email a couple of days later. Phone screen about 5 days after that with a recruiter that asked me the basic pre-screening questions. A day later received email for another phone interview with someone HR. Interview happened a few days later and dove a little more into my skill sets and experience, I was given an opportunity to ask questions and I brought up the overwhelming negative reviews on Glassdoor in regards to work/life balance. The recruiter defended the company and said that "We work hard here to make history" which turned me off a bit as it typically just an excuse for overworking people. I accepted the answer and did not push further. I did not hear back for a week and figured I was eliminated from the process. I had to reach out to the original recruiter to find out the status and they apologized for not getting back to me. A day later I was scheduled for an interview with a manager. Had an hour phone conversation with the manager who seemed very robotic in his questions with generic "Kool-Aid" based questions and responses to questions I had. While speaking with him, I did have the Amazon page open for their core values in case I needed to reference them and during his speech of why Amazon is a great place to work, he systematically walked through each core value as they were written on the website. It was very awkward and uncomfortable. I did ask him about the work/life balance and what he thought and he responded back with another generic corporately correct response that answered nothing. I was happy to be done with the phone call in only an hour. This place is not for me! Needless to say, I have not heard back and don't expect to.

Interview Questions

• None really, very generic questions you'd expect from any behavioral interview   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013. Within 2 days of the initial email contact, I had my first phone interview scheduled and completed. I then moved on onsite interview booked. It was a fairly short interview, I only met with three people however enjoyed my chat with each of them. I would have preferred a bit longer for the interviews so that I had enough time to ask all of the questions I wanted to ask. Within two days of the interview I had an offer, so overall I was pleased with the entire timeline.

Interview Questions

• Endless behavioral questions. What is the most difficult situation you have ever faced and how did you handle it? What was the toughest challenge you have ever faced? Give an example of a time when you showed initiative. How to Introduce Process Improvements Successfully? Sourcing strategies?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

The first phone screen was fairly light, I was asked about my organizational and prioritization process. The second phone interview was primarily focused on "Why Amazon...?" and how I run my desk. The next step was an in person. Typically, you have what they call a Bar Raiser however my bar raiser had to cancel so I interviewed with the HM (who did my initial screen), a Lead Recruiter, the team's Event Recruiter and the Recruiter who managed niche roles. Questions regarding specific data/metrics, behavior based questions regarding projects aimed around Amazon's Leadership Principles. I also was asked to role play and SLA and then respond with a boolean search.

Interview Questions

• One of the Recruiters, went through a role play of a SLA and after that part was done I was asked to write the most complex boolean search string I could come up with based on the SLA. I threw together a site search with wildcards and a tilde to indicate grammatical variations.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation process took three weeks. The constant answer was let me see what I can do, with short check in emails every few days and a call once a week to say they were still working on it with finance. Since I'm a recruiter I'd done my market research before determining a price point and been upfront from the beginning about my expectations.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Three phone interviews – one onsite, five hour interview “track” with six different people. Pros: solid communications regarding flight arrangements, reasonable reimbursement of expenses incurred during my stay in Seattle, fairly friendly interviewers (some of them), they did reach out and close the loop, yet didn't provide any real feedback *Lame*, great dosage of what the culture is like from hanging out on the Amazon campus, seemed like decent pay for Seattle, the brand name is noteworthy, seemingly cool people, a great place to make the transition to corporate recruiter from an agency environment, a good gig for if you can hang for 5 years and cash in… Cons: some of the folks I met in the interview track were downright arrogant,when I looked up the people that I interviewed with I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed with their backgrounds, endless behavioral questions…explain to me a time when you had to do this….why did you do that…what could you have done differently…by the end of the interview- I just wanted to leave…and was tired of answering the same questions over and over and over again…many of the interviewers hadn't seem my resume before they walked into the interview, asked me lame questions like write a Boolean string (really?), still not sure what type of person they were seeking…if you interview, good luck – be ready for 5 hours of behavioral interview questions…note to Amazon…maybe focus on the individuals accomplishments, check references before passing on someone, I feel my answers may have been misconstrued, but because all the interviewers were in such a rush to get back to their desks, I really didn't have time to clarify any of my answers, it seemed like they could care less about bringing new team members aboard and more focused on preaching how high the hiring bar is….PS: don’t call me on a Sunday to discuss business – if you can’t get work done M-Sat, maybe that should be a sign you guys need hire more administration peeps to assist with the process…not hating, just stating…glad I was given the opportunity to interview…best of luck to both Amazon and peeps who interview.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

I was referred to a Technical Recruiter position by a friend of mine at Amazon. I had an informal call with a group manager who then said he would have a recruiting coordinator schedule an official phone screen with me the following week. As expected, the recruiting coordinator had me interview the following week with another recruiter. The interview lasted approximately 45 minutes and the standard questions were asked ie. sourcing tools, type of roles placed, interviews, etc.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you got push back from a manager/client and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Within a few days of the initial email contact, I had my first phone interview scheduled and completed. I then moved on to a second phone interview for a different role and then within two days had my onsite interview booked. It was a fairly short interview, I only met with three people however enjoyed my chat with each of them. I would have preferred a bit longer for the interviews so that I had enough time to ask all of the questions I wanted to ask. Within two days of the interview I had an offer, so overall I was pleased with the entire timeline. The only complaint I have is that the agency did not give me proper instructions on where to go the day of the interview and at the end of the interview the last interviewer didn't know what to do.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any unexpected interview questions, nearly each interviewer had similar questions and there were no odd questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate to get closer to my ideal number and they were fairly quick about getting back to me on it.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in August 2012.

Interview

After 2 phone interviews fairly quickly, I was invited to fly to Seattle to interview onsite for the better part of a day. They paid airfare and lodging, very accommodating with recruiting coordinator. Onsite interview was 6 hours, through lunch, with 8 different Recruiter/HR folks, mostly one-on-one. Final person was the overal director.

Interview Questions

• No real off-the-wall questions. Maybe an overload of behavioral questions like "Tell me a time you went against your own personal standards to get something done" or "When did you receive unfair feedback on your performance and what did you do about it?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Irvine, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Overall, the interview process was swift. I've interviewed with Amazon or one of its subsidiaries more than once and they either don't close the loop or they tell me much later the what seems to be a minor reason as to why they passed on my candidacy. This time they managed to close the loop. What astounds me about Amazon is that they love to talk about how they have a high bar and there are a ton of smart people there--this obviously doesn't apply to many individuals in their HR dept. I've worked for their competitors who seem to have higher standards and smarter people, but they manage to disregard this experience. When I look up my interviewers and potential peers on LinkedIn, I'm underwhelmed and disappointed by their qualifications--community college drop-outs, University of Phoenix or third rate school graduates, and people who are coming from unrelated industries or inferior companies. This is a high bar? This ain't Google. This is more like B players hiring C players. They are intimidated in hiring professionals who are better than them. I was required to do a presentation, which is a ballsy request considering you're actually giving them free information without being an employee--not to mention taking my valuable time to prepare. One person on the panel actually yawned and they asked me to focus on information that had nothing to do with the job description. I appreciate how swift the interview process was, but they need to adjust their expectations and tenets considering the caliber of people who work in HR at Amazon. The office was boring and not aesthetically pleasing. They will have a difficult time recruiting people.

Interview Questions

• Describe what events you would hold to attract candidates.   1 Answer
    • Give me a win and a loss and don't use the same examples you've used with other people during this interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.com (Seattle, WA) in September 2011.

Interview

Worst interview of my life. I was made to feel like I would be a failure and that I had to prove otherwise in order to be hired.

Interview Questions

• questions related to overall company vision at the Bezos level.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had to negotiate with the HR Recruiter in a conference room, face to face. It was horribly awkward.