Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
25 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vendor Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – Multiple Interviews - usually 4-5 depending on the level. Usually interviews take place the same day, sometimes they will video conference. Also you typically meet with a variety of managers. A couple will be within your division or people you'll work closely with; however, there will be a wild card or two. The wild cards are usually the most difficult.

Interview Question – Advanced math problems, situational examples. Hiring manager taking you to lunch and to then describe how you'd improve the operational efficiency of the restaurant.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details – I was reached out to via recruiter. Over the course of about a month and a half went through three phone interviews and on site interview.

The first phone interview was with the recruiter, the second was with the hiring manager, and the third was with a "peer" in the group (in this case someone in finance). The recruiter was mostly interested in checking the boxes on the job requirements and qualifications and asked some softball "tell me a time" question or two. The hiring manager explained the scope of the role, asked why I was interested, and did not ask any behavior questions - was very informal and conversational. The "peer" interview was completely behavioral based questions as well as "why amazon". I was contacted by the recruiter after the third interview via e-mail that they would like to invite me to Seattle for an on-site interview.

For the on-site interview, they put you up in a very nice downtown hotel that's within walking distance of their campus. I had six separate one-on-one interviews including a lunch interview with the hiring manager and a meeting with the recruiter who goes over a very detailed "here's amazon's compensation program if you were to be hired here" outline. Be prepared to use a white board to detail out your thoughts - it's not required but it's the best way to illustrate complex ideas especially if your example is from outside of the industry and/or scope of experience of the person that is interviewing you. All of the questions will be in the form of "tell me about a time when" or "tell me how you'd approach this..." or "why Amazon, why this position, what will you bring to Amazon...".

I was very impressed with the organization of the process and the professionalism of everyone I interviewed with. The on-site interview is not easy because you will need to drill multiple layers deep into every answer you give because they want to weed out your actual level of knowledge rather than just accepting your initial superficial answer.

Three things to keep in mind for the on-site interview:
- If you live in the Central, Midwest, or Eastern part of the country, you will have to take a red-eye back if you absolutely have to be back to work the day after your interview. So either take the day off after your interview so that you can get a flight out the next morning, try and get the interview scheduled for a Friday, or be prepared to get off a plane at 6am and show up to work at your current job the next day.

- Amazon is spread out between quite a few unmarked buildings in the area, the only way you know you're at the right place is by the street address and the title of the building (typically named after an important part of Amazon's history).

- Read Amazon's leadership values on their website. Memorize them. Be prepared for your interview questions to test how will you fit those values. Have an example prepared in your head to answer a behavioral question for each of them. You will see very quickly that these values are significant to the company's culture in the interviews and so if you are truly interested in working at Amazon they should become important to you too.

Interview Question – You sign a non-disclosure agreement prior to the on-site interview so I will respect that and not give away any actual questions. Just make sure you understand Amazon's leadership values, know that you will be answering behavioral questions, and be prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was fair, the only negotiation was around the start date.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the Vendor Manager position and it took a few weeks to get a email response. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager that was very breif (about 45 minutes). I then recieved an email from the HR recruiter to come in for an all day interview.

I hadnt told my previous employer that I was looking into other job opportunities so it was a little difficult to take a full day off and then it kep changing around because of schedule conflicts, etc. In the end we made it work after about 3 changes. The day started at 9 am with with 6 interviews (each for about an hour) and an hour lunch break. I ended around 3:15 completely drained. It is a long experience for sure. Each interviewer was responsible for a different angle, but overall the questions had a similar theme.

The dress is very casual - defenitely no suit and tie for the interview. The culture is tough and it is defenitely the smart kids class. Overall I was unsure if the responses I gave were sufficient. You get a lot of head nods and everyone is extremely friendly. Usually you start out with the hiring manager, then a director, then a curve ball (VP or higher level director), then a peer to your hiring manager, and then two additional peers in a similar role to the one you are applying for.

Interview Question – What would you do to improve Amazon.com and the overall customer experience?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewing is tough - it is a day long process. Expect 5 interviewers including directors, VPs, hiring manager, peers, someone you may interact with day-to-day that is not on your immediate team.

Interview Question – There are always entities (vendors/authors/publishers) that don't want to do business with Amazon. What data would you use to help convince the entity to do business with us?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter about a week later. Set up a phone screen with another vendor manager which took about one hour. A week later I had another phone screen with the hiring manager, again about an hour. I then received an email from the department's own recruiter, who scheduled my on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of seven total interviews: the hiring manager's supervisor, three vendor managers, the department recruiter, a manager from a closely-related team, and one bar-raiser from outside of the team. Each was about 45 minutes, except for the recruiter's interview which was only 15. About a week after the meeting the recruiter called me to let me know they would make an offer the following day.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you made a mistake, what you did to fix it, and what you learned from it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was much better than I had expected and what I initially mentioned during interview so I didn't negotiate.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – All phone interviews

Interview Question – How would you go about taking decision on buying a stock lot of merchandise from a supplier in competitive pricing?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2010.

Interview Details – It can take months and months and in no way, will prepare the potential employee for the pressure and stress they will put you through

Interview Question – asked to do a presentation   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – This interview was obtained through a recruiter and the position was based in Seattle. Amazon did not have any suitable candidates in the pipeline and after the recruiter submitted my resume along with 1/2 a dozen others, only mine was chosen for an interview. Later, another candidate was "brought back from the no pile", to ensure a competitive process which Amazon prefers. The first 1 hr phone interview was with a peer, as all Amazon employees are asked to interview candidates for similar positions from time to time. A week later, the second 1 hr phone interview took place with the hiring manager. Typically, after passing these stages, successful candidates would be invited to Seattle to meet in person. However, this specific posting required a unique skill set, for which Amazon only had one subject matter expert currently employed. Therefore, another 1 hr phone interview took place with the subject matter expert. After passing this, I was certain an invitation to the office would follow, but both myself and the other candidate were asked to submit a written piece on the specialized subject matter. Making sure that external experts had reviewed my work prior and after submitting, it took me 3 days to put together a very professional document. This stage took another week to process and revert, resulting in the other candidate not being selected to continue. At that point, I was the only candidate left, with no other prospects in the pipeline after a month of phone interviewing. A week later I also got the notice that my candidacy was not being pursued with a final comment of "we have a no feedback policy".

Interview Questions

• Name your most successful negotiation experience? Name your most challenging negotiation experience?   Answer Question
  • How would you go about developping a new product category on the website?   Answer Question
  • If another vendor/company is offering your exact same product for less, how would you approach the situation?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on the company website using my resume. I got an e-mail 1 week later with a request for a phone interview. I was asked the following questions:
1. Walk me through your resume
2. Why Amazon?
3. Why Vendor Manager?
4. Where do you see yourself in the next 3 years?
5. Give me an example of your toughest negotiation/
6. What did you accomplish during this negotiation and how?
7. Do you have any questions for me?

Interview Question – The most unexpected interview question was Why is it important for you to learn new things?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process started with a 1:1 phone interview. Amazon responded within a day or two to schedule a second 1:1 phone interview. An in-person interview was scheduled about 1 week later.

The in-person interview consists of 5 to 7 1:1 interviews, each lasting about 45 minute long. One interview was during lunch, in the Amazon campus cafeteria.

Don't expect to talk about your experience. The entire interview was questions about what you would do in certain situations if offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Which is the best way to reach out to customers, an email campaign or a search engine advertisement? Why?   Answer Question
  • Are you an excel expert? You should have some detailed info to prove it if you say yes.   Answer Question
  • Be ready to do a math problem on the fly about percentage discounts, etc. You might want to carry a small calculator in your notebook. Bring a pen & paper & copies of your resume.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Vendor Manager interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.