Amazon.com

Amazon.com Vendor Manager Interview Questions

3.6

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Vendor Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Multiple Interviews - usually 4-5 depending on the level. Usually interviews take place the same day, sometimes they will video conference. Also you typically meet with a variety of managers. A couple will be within your division or people you'll work closely with; however, there will be a wild card or two. The wild cards are usually the most difficult.

Interview Questions
  • Advanced math problems, situational examples. Hiring manager taking you to lunch and to then describe how you'd improve the operational efficiency of the restaurant.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I was reached out to via recruiter. Over the course of about a month and a half went through three phone interviews and on site interview.

The first phone interview was with the recruiter, the second was with the hiring manager, and the third was with a "peer" in the group (in this case someone in finance). The recruiter was mostly interested in checking the boxes on the job requirements and qualifications and asked some softball "tell me a time" question or two. The hiring manager explained the scope of the role, asked why I was interested, and did not ask any behavior questions - was very informal and conversational. The "peer" interview was completely behavioral based questions as well as "why amazon". I was contacted by the recruiter after the third interview via e-mail that they would like to invite me to Seattle for an on-site interview.

For the on-site interview, they put you up in a very nice downtown hotel that's within walking distance of their campus. I had six separate one-on-one interviews including a lunch interview with the hiring manager and a meeting with the recruiter who goes over a very detailed "here's amazon's compensation program if you were to be hired here" outline. Be prepared to use a white board to detail out your thoughts - it's not required but it's the best way to illustrate complex ideas especially if your example is from outside of the industry and/or scope of experience of the person that is interviewing you. All of the questions will be in the form of "tell me about a time when" or "tell me how you'd approach this..." or "why Amazon, why this position, what will you bring to Amazon...".

I was very impressed with the organization of the process and the professionalism of everyone I interviewed with. The on-site interview is not easy because you will need to drill multiple layers deep into every answer you give because they want to weed out your actual level of knowledge rather than just accepting your initial superficial answer.

Three things to keep in mind for the on-site interview:
    - If you live in the Central, Midwest, or Eastern part of the country, you will have to take a red-eye back if you absolutely have to be back to work the day after your interview. So either take the day off after your interview so that you can get a flight out the next morning, try and get the interview scheduled for a Friday, or be prepared to get off a plane at 6am and show up to work at your current job the next day.

- Amazon is spread out between quite a few unmarked buildings in the area, the only way you know you're at the right place is by the street address and the title of the building (typically named after an important part of Amazon's history).

- Read Amazon's leadership values on their website. Memorize them. Be prepared for your interview questions to test how will you fit those values. Have an example prepared in your head to answer a behavioral question for each of them. You will see very quickly that these values are significant to the company's culture in the interviews and so if you are truly interested in working at Amazon they should become important to you too.

Interview Questions
    • You sign a non-disclosure agreement prior to the on-site interview so I will respect that and not give away any actual questions. Just make sure you understand Amazon's leadership values, know that you will be answering behavioral questions, and be prepared.   Answer Question
    The offer was fair, the only negotiation was around the start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter about a week later. Set up a phone screen with another vendor manager which took about one hour. A week later I had another phone screen with the hiring manager, again about an hour. I then received an email from the department's own recruiter, who scheduled my on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of seven total interviews: the hiring manager's supervisor, three vendor managers, the department recruiter, a manager from a closely-related team, and one bar-raiser from outside of the team. Each was about 45 minutes, except for the recruiter's interview which was only 15. About a week after the meeting the recruiter called me to let me know they would make an offer the following day.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake, what you did to fix it, and what you learned from it.   Answer Question
    Offer was much better than I had expected and what I initially mentioned during interview so I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

I applied for the Vendor Manager position and it took a few weeks to get a email response. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager that was very breif (about 45 minutes). I then recieved an email from the HR recruiter to come in for an all day interview.

I hadnt told my previous employer that I was looking into other job opportunities so it was a little difficult to take a full day off and then it kep changing around because of schedule conflicts, etc. In the end we made it work after about 3 changes. The day started at 9 am with with 6 interviews (each for about an hour) and an hour lunch break. I ended around 3:15 completely drained. It is a long experience for sure. Each interviewer was responsible for a different angle, but overall the questions had a similar theme.

The dress is very casual - defenitely no suit and tie for the interview. The culture is tough and it is defenitely the smart kids class. Overall I was unsure if the responses I gave were sufficient. You get a lot of head nods and everyone is extremely friendly. Usually you start out with the hiring manager, then a director, then a curve ball (VP or higher level director), then a peer to your hiring manager, and then two additional peers in a similar role to the one you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to improve Amazon.com and the overall customer experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2012.

This interview was obtained through a recruiter and the position was based in Seattle. Amazon did not have any suitable candidates in the pipeline and after the recruiter submitted my resume along with 1/2 a dozen others, only mine was chosen for an interview. Later, another candidate was "brought back from the no pile", to ensure a competitive process which Amazon prefers. The first 1 hr phone interview was with a peer, as all Amazon employees are asked to interview candidates for similar positions from time to time. A week later, the second 1 hr phone interview took place with the hiring manager. Typically, after passing these stages, successful candidates would be invited to Seattle to meet in person. However, this specific posting required a unique skill set, for which Amazon only had one subject matter expert currently employed. Therefore, another 1 hr phone interview took place with the subject matter expert. After passing this, I was certain an invitation to the office would follow, but both myself and the other candidate were asked to submit a written piece on the specialized subject matter. Making sure that external experts had reviewed my work prior and after submitting, it took me 3 days to put together a very professional document. This stage took another week to process and revert, resulting in the other candidate not being selected to continue. At that point, I was the only candidate left, with no other prospects in the pipeline after a month of phone interviewing. A week later I also got the notice that my candidacy was not being pursued with a final comment of "we have a no feedback policy".

Interview Questions
    • Name your most successful negotiation experience? Name your most challenging negotiation experience?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about developping a new product category on the website?   Answer Question
    • If another vendor/company is offering your exact same product for less, how would you approach the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2012.

I applied on the company website using my resume. I got an e-mail 1 week later with a request for a phone interview. I was asked the following questions:
    1. Walk me through your resume
    2. Why Amazon?
    3. Why Vendor Manager?
    4. Where do you see yourself in the next 3 years?
    5. Give me an example of your toughest negotiation/
    6. What did you accomplish during this negotiation and how?
    7. Do you have any questions for me?

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected interview question was Why is it important for you to learn new things?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

All phone interviews

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about taking decision on buying a stock lot of merchandise from a supplier in competitive pricing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2011.

Interview process started with a 1:1 phone interview. Amazon responded within a day or two to schedule a second 1:1 phone interview. An in-person interview was scheduled about 1 week later.

The in-person interview consists of 5 to 7 1:1 interviews, each lasting about 45 minute long. One interview was during lunch, in the Amazon campus cafeteria.

Don't expect to talk about your experience. The entire interview was questions about what you would do in certain situations if offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Which is the best way to reach out to customers, an email campaign or a search engine advertisement? Why?   Answer Question
    • Are you an excel expert? You should have some detailed info to prove it if you say yes.   Answer Question
    • Be ready to do a math problem on the fly about percentage discounts, etc. You might want to carry a small calculator in your notebook. Bring a pen & paper & copies of your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2010.

Started with the 1st of two phone interviews. The 1st phone interview was about 40 minutes. Pretty standard questions about your resume and situations/tasks you've had in your prior positions. About two days later I received a call from the recruiter who set up the 1st interview. The recruiter was very disorganized. She actually thought she was calling me for the first time and I had to remind her that we spoke a couple times before and that it was her that set up my 1st phone interview. The 2nd interview was an extension of the 1st phone interview. "Explain your answers thoroughly. STAR approach to answering the questions will help you". A week or so went by without any word back from Amazon and then I received an e-mail from the recruiter who I'd been in communication (poor) with throughout the process. After replying to the e-mail and not receiving a confirmation, I finally received a confirmation for the "face-to-face" interview(s). The "face-to-face" interview lasted almost 5 hours. I was rotated from one interviewer to the next. Each last about 45 minutes. The questioning was very similar to the phone interviews, but they will throw at you an interviewer who is NOT from the team for the position that you're interviewing for...known as the "Bar Raiser". You may have heard of various differing past stories about the Bar Raiser. My experience with the B.R. was a pleasant one. Once again, understand the STAR technique to answering questions and you should be fine. The interviewer's are a little quirky, socially delayed (they were most likely the last ones picked on the play ground for teams), and they just stare at you at the completion to answering their questions. Don’t be thrown off your game, be confident in your answers, don’t doubt yourself…it’s them not you. As for the work environment, it was VERY casual...looked like the employees just "rolled out of bed and went to work in their PJ's" : )

Interview Questions

I was offered the position, but ultimately I declined. The work environment wasn't a fit for me and the pay at Amazon is terrible for the amount of hours that you are required to devote.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2010.

The interview process consisted of two phone screens and one in-person. Interviewing with a company such as Amazon is a good experience to have in your interviewing process. They are very structured and calculated in the way they do things. They have classic case study questions, have you work out a problem on a white board, and really try to put you on the spot with questions to see how you react. The one thing that I found odd: they kept emphasizing they only interview, and especially only hire, the best of the best. I found this odd, because during my in-person day of interviewing, most of the interviewers were certainly not in that category. The hiring manager and her boss were bright and enthusiastic, but there were three specific people that were: frumpy, uninspired, and just not the sharpest tools in the shed. They must not have had that motto of hiring the best of the best when these people were brought on board.

They were also very clear that no matter where you are in your career, you basically start over at Amazon, just like you are out of college again. Not a good fit for me, but maybe for someone switching careers or out of work. Don't leave your successful career for one there. All-in-all, a nice to see how they work internally.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions on Excel spreadsheets and functions.   View Answer