Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details – Contacted over the phone by amazon recruiter. Quick phone screen then the in person was pretty standard. Spoke with 5 people from amazon.

Interview Question – Linked list   Answer Question

Sterling, VA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – As a consultant, i was approached by a recruiting company in Washington DC metro area. To be precise n Sterling, VA. I was called for an interview within one week afterr I sent my resume to the recruiter.
I was asked to describe database joins. Then describe data modelling for a dummy app. Then how I would go about with development and UI components, etc. I went about with thorough explanation of the work.

Interview Question – Nothing was really difficult. I would say know your resume in and out.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered more than I expected.

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had a lot of conversations with Insight Global until they were able to get me an interview with Amazon. I had to go through two in-person interviews and an online coding session for the "contract to hire" position (which is a lot easier to get in with versus a full-time position). Know your stuff and you should be able to pass these interviews! At Amazon you have to ask yourself for every question, "does this scale?" because Amazon deals with TONS of data in their applications. Worry about computational time and memory usage for everything.

Interview Question – How do you detect for the first repeated character in a string? How do you detect whether or not a word is a palindrome?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Very smooth. I went through Insight Global so they handled everything for me.

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – Got call from an in house recruiter and started the scheduling for over the phone technical interviews. Had 2 phone interviews (skipped the 3rd), invited to go onsite. Onsite I did 6 face to face interviews with different people. Once back home, 2 more phone interviews followed.

Interview Question – I can not talk about my interviews on site. My over the phone technical interviews were focused on front end development. Asked about HTML standards and behavioral issues between browsers, implement an accordion component from scratch, javascript scoping problems, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Before flying out I was asked what my expected salary would be. My first offer was 10k lower than what I asked for. They were hesitant to negotiate, but after mentioning (with info to back it up) the cost of living differences between my current city and Seattle they decided to adjust the offer. In lieu of an increase, they lowered my shares and sign-on bonus and raised my base salary.

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the recruiter without applying in late December of 2012. I had three phone interviews with one person each time, and each interview used CollabNet to do online coding. I felt the the phone interviews were fairly simple, and there was nothing too tricky. The interviewers were all friendly and casual, and I never felt they were trying to trip me up. The phone interviewing process up until the onsite request took about a month.

The onsite interviewing definitely had a tougher feel to them, but I probably could have prepared with their interview prep document better. I met with about five people separately including one over lunch in the cafeteria. While none of them were unfriendly, none of them were overly friendly. They were all business with not much room for casual conversations, but that probably helped with staying on schedule. Still, I had the feeling working with them would be all business as well. But even so, they were open to mistakes as long as I talked through my thought process, and they were patient.

The office was great looking, and the views were gorgeous, but I noticed the interviewers that brought their laptops with them had old looking PC machines. I guess there's no pampering of developers in that area.

It took two weeks to hear back that I was not going to get an offer. The recruiter called and handled it well, but I feel two weeks was a long time to wait for a no.

Interview Question – Writing the code for a game that entailed an array of numbers and finding the fastest way to get to the end when the numbers were the number of steps you could move forward, and if you hit a zero, the game was over.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2012.

Interview Details – First phone call with hiring manager went well. A little terse with communication but nothing I considered out of line for a busy manager. This lead to a tech screen phone call using live online collaboration tool.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked me to build a tab based interface in html/css/js on the phone but in the online tool. As an additional follow up question I was asked to write the JavaScript as a jQuery plugin   View Answer

Seattle, WA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview consisted of basic web development questions such as "How would you avoid cross-site request attacks" (saving tokens in cookies), "What is your favorite CSS3 feature", "What is your favorite HTML5 feature", "How do you manage conflict with designers", "What would you recommend we change on our website" and "How would you design a website for vision impaired users".

Interview Question – How would you stop a cross-site request attack?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better offer elsewhere.

Berlin (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2012.

Interview Details – Got an interview scheduled with a software engineer from amazon was. I was asked questions about my CV and then a simple coding question.

Interview Question – Test if a string is a palindrome.
Design the chess game with java classes.
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Web Developer interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.