Ambarella Interview Questions

Updated Oct 9, 2014

3.2

Software Architecture Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ambarella in September 2014.

Connected via a recruiter who had placed another candidate in the same group. Drove to Santa Clara campus on 3 different days to interview with a total of 5 people (the entire group), plus an internal HR person.
    I found the people very friendly and had a good vibe about the company. I breezed through the interviews and found them to be not terribly technically challenging. However, I am a long-time computer architect with detailed hardware modeling experience, and I believe they want a more software-centric person.

Interview Questions
    • Question dealing with I/O in C++. This does not come up very often in hardware modeling.   View Answer

DFT Engineer () Interview

The interview last 40 min. They asked STA questions. The difference between DFT and Verification. Verilog questions. Design a simple filpflop. Actually, the interview is not difficult. They use whit board as a tool. We talked on phone and write it on the white board. The interviewer is very nice.

ASIC Design Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ambarella in March 2014.

Phone interview, approximately 1 hour. First the director introduced what his group is doing and asked one of my course project. Then he requested to write Verilog codes, including switching a and b in one clock cycle, explaining blocking and non-blocking, and implementing FSM of a pattern detector.

Intern Verification Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ambarella.

Email my resume online and got an phone interview after several weeks

ASIC Verification Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ambarella in January 2014.

I applied online. Received an interview call 2 weeks later.
    I was informed that the position requires knowledge of computer architecture, digital design and C/C++. I was asked 1 question in each topic. 1 question on cache associativity, 1 question to design a circuit which outputs a pulse when an input flips, 1 question each on virtual functions and recursive functions (Factorial series).
    I was informed there would be a follow-up interview, but I was given the offer without the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Design a circuit which outputs a pulse when the input flips. The input is synchronous to a clock.   View Answer

Received a better offer elsewhere.

Verification Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ambarella.

I applied online. It took me a week to get a phone interview. The position is Verification engineer. The interview lasted for half an hour. Nothing tricky, general circuit design and c language questions. Asked me to design a circuit giving the number and names of the inputs and outputs and the function to implement. Asked me to write a recursive function in c language.

Interview Questions
    • Design a circuit to generate a pulse whenever the input flips.   Answer Question

Digital Design Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ambarella.

3 phone interviews

Entry Level ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Ambarella in September 2013.

two round short onsite.
    Second round is simple, all common ASIC interview questions.
    First round mainly about asynchronize fifo and a tricky latch decoder question.
    Failed in the first one but still got the second chance, got rejected after the second one although didn't make any mistake.

ASIC Design Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ambarella.

Submit resume during the career fair, and then get e-mails to have interview. Three rounds of phone interviews

Interview Questions
    • Detect the leading one in a sequence.
      Find the second smallest number in an array.
      Determine whether a infinite sequence is the multiple of 5.
        Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

On campus career fair submitted resume, phone interview. Totally technical, questions on clock skew/jitter, string detector, verilog data width and implementing gate with MUX

Interview Questions
    • Compare the advantage of shift register and FSM in implementing string detector   Answer Question