AmeriCorps AmeriCorps Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Replied to job opening via email. Was asked to come in for an interview. The interview consisted of questions about my background (I was college student at the time), why I was interested in the HIV field and how I felt I would work within a six-member team as an individual as well as collectively in order to complete the objective of a long-term project. I was told by the supervisor that he liked me and my answers and would hear back shortly. I was then welcomed to the team within a week. After being selected, I met with the other five teammates a few days before flying to pre-service (on-boarding/orientation) in Santa Fe, NM.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work in the HIV field?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It is a federally-funded program with a set living stipend for each member.

Other Interview Reviews for AmeriCorps

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I received a call from the agency I applied to a few days after applying on the AmeriCorps website. We set up a phone interview for the next day which consisted of three employees who were prior volunteers. They asked 10 difficult questions and at the end set up a Skype interview for the next day (I currently live in another state). The Skype interview was with two employees (from the phone interview) and a current AmeriCorps volunteer. I thought this time it would just be to put a face to my voice, but they went around and asked several more questions. It went very well and at the end they offered me the position. My advice would be to research the agency and be prepared to give examples of what experiences you had that prepared you for the position. I didn't expect such an extensive interview for a volunteer position, and if I wasn't prepared I don't think I would have gotten it.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about AmeriCorps? What do you know about our agency? Tell me about your experience? How would you work with clients that speak another language? What diverse populations have you worked with? How would you handle a client who is upset? What are you looking to gain from this experience? Do you understand why the stipend is low?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Detroit, MI).

Interview

There are 3 interviews each of which make sure you are okay living below the poverty line to do the position. They also ask about your endurance, how do you know you won't get burnt out easily etc.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work 40 hours a week for less than minimum wage?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Interview

It was very relaxed and informal. They asked standard questions, mainly about what led you to applying to AmeriCorps. They also give your information about the program. It's also important to know how AmeriCorps will fit into your long term plans. There are a lot of opportunities to ask questions which is nice.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

I applied for Pittsburgh Health Corps and Compass AmeriCorps, both groups based in Pittsburgh, PA. I went to a totally of eight interviews - one with the director of health corps, one with Compass, and six on-site interviews. There are two problems with AmeriCorps. The first problem is they strongly prefer hiring college graduates with little to no experience. By the time I graduated I already have done three internships and one research fellowship. I wanted to join AmeriCorps to help my community, but I was rejected by all six on-site interviews because I was apparently "overqualified" to them. Meanwhile, two of my friends with little work experience out of college got accepted into AmeriCorps so easily. The second problem is most AmeriCorps positions require or recommend that you have reliable transportation. I can't imagine living on less-than-minimum wages while having a car (maintain it, pay for gas, pay for car insurance). Not to mention you are already struggling to pay for rent, phone bills, and buy groceries. If you want to join AmeriCorps and don't want to struggle with finances, you must fit in the "perfect" category of a college graduate that has little or no job experience, has a car and somehow able to keep it, and lives with his/her parents or five roommates.

Interview Questions

• 1) Why do you want to join AmeriCorps? 2) How do you motivate yourself at work while living on a small stipend? 3) What do you want to do after the AmeriCorps term is over (full-time job or graduate school?) 4) Why are you interested in helping your community and addressing social issues? 5) Are you willing to work with low-income, poor, and minority families?   Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

The application process was pretty standard answered questions about previous experience. I was then chosen for a phone interview. The phone interview had basic questions asking about certain experiences on my resume and how I would deal with specific situations of conflict, diversity, etc. I was then invited to the in-person interview. Every AmeriCorps program is different. The one I interviewed for is health related and their are various nonprofit clinics that partner with the project called Project Health Access. The in-person interview took a few hours because there were supervisors from various sites that were hiring and 20 plus people interviewing for the different positions. The sites presented what they were all about and what kind of member they were looking for. I then chose a few different sites to have a 5 minute interview with. The interviews were standard and informational due to only being 5 minutes.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2014.

Interview

AmeriCorps is awesome!. Everything was so detailed and precise when applying and submitting my information. My AmeriCorps supervisor didn't interview me, my site supervisor did, but the hiring wasn't a hit and miss. I knew I was getting the position.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was the travel issue. This was a personal issue I had but after my 1st 3 stipends of AmeriCorps pay I had a vehicle and was able to attend every event that was out of town.   Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2014.

Interview

Online application process. They do a really easy computer phone interview. Must be able to pass a background check. And then must also have a few references. Very easy interview process overall. Don't need specific educational background, they even help you get your GED if you don't have one.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Interview

It's a frustrating process full of confusion and quick deadlines. There is no real interview process, at least for Corps Members. You submit your application, and then you wait for them to review your provided information and run some background checks. Figuring out where you are in the process is obnoxious, but it took only a month start to finish to hear a final yes. Also, the final yes is still conditional upon your completion of paperwork every 10 days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was two parts. An initial phone interview with a follow up in person panel interview. Most of the real interview took place on the phone call. I believe the in person was just a formality and a chance for both parties to feel each other out. There was a background check, finger printing, no drug test and then I received an offer letter which I had a two weeks to reply to.

Interview Questions

• What is it that makes you want to serve with AmeriCorps   Answer Question