AmeriCorps AmeriCorps Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.1

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

I applied for Pittsburgh Health Corps and Compass AmeriCorps, both groups based in Pittsburgh, PA. I went to a totally of eight interviews - one with the director of health corps, one with Compass, and six on-site interviews.

There are two problems with AmeriCorps. The first problem is they strongly prefer hiring college graduates with little to no experience. By the time I graduated I already have done three internships and one research fellowship. I wanted to join AmeriCorps to help my community, but I was rejected by all six on-site interviews because I was apparently "overqualified" to them. Meanwhile, two of my friends with little work experience out of college got accepted into AmeriCorps so easily. The second problem is most AmeriCorps positions require or recommend that you have reliable transportation. I can't imagine living on less-than-minimum wages while having a car (maintain it, pay for gas, pay for car insurance). Not to mention you are already struggling to pay for rent, phone bills, and buy groceries. If you want to join AmeriCorps and don't want to struggle with finances, you must fit in the "perfect" category of a college graduate that has little or no job experience, has a car and somehow able to keep it, and lives with his/her parents or five roommates.

Interview Questions
  • 1) Why do you want to join AmeriCorps?
    2) How do you motivate yourself at work while living on a small stipend?
    3) What do you want to do after the AmeriCorps term is over (full-time job or graduate school?)
    4) Why are you interested in helping your community and addressing social issues?
    5) Are you willing to work with low-income, poor, and minority families?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

The application process was pretty standard answered questions about previous experience. I was then chosen for a phone interview. The phone interview had basic questions asking about certain experiences on my resume and how I would deal with specific situations of conflict, diversity, etc. I was then invited to the in-person interview. Every AmeriCorps program is different. The one I interviewed for is health related and their are various nonprofit clinics that partner with the project called Project Health Access. The in-person interview took a few hours because there were supervisors from various sites that were hiring and 20 plus people interviewing for the different positions. The sites presented what they were all about and what kind of member they were looking for. I then chose a few different sites to have a 5 minute interview with. The interviews were standard and informational due to only being 5 minutes.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2014.

AmeriCorps is awesome!. Everything was so detailed and precise when applying and submitting my information. My AmeriCorps supervisor didn't interview me, my site supervisor did, but the hiring wasn't a hit and miss. I knew I was getting the position.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the travel issue. This was a personal issue I had but after my 1st 3 stipends of AmeriCorps pay I had a vehicle and was able to attend every event that was out of town.   Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

It's a frustrating process full of confusion and quick deadlines. There is no real interview process, at least for Corps Members. You submit your application, and then you wait for them to review your provided information and run some background checks. Figuring out where you are in the process is obnoxious, but it took only a month start to finish to hear a final yes. Also, the final yes is still conditional upon your completion of paperwork every 10 days.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

Apply through the online portal. Pro of this was that your application could be sent up to 20 times to organizations that you were interested in. Con is that the website is difficult to navigate. The interview was given from the American Red Cross Regional Chapter that I applied to. It was a standard interview, knowledge of Red Cross, knowledge of Region, knowledge of job description and how your skills match.

Interview Questions
    • They asked what you believe you might do for your Americorps special project.   View Answer

AmeriCorps Member Interview

It was very easy and simple for the most part. The problem is, at least with the NCCC, their selection process is basically a lottery. I have seen extremely qualified people apply and be denied or put on a wait list. Your best bet is to apply early and do a good interview. From there, its really just luck of the draw.

Interview Questions
    • How well can you adapt to a constantly changing work environment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps in February 2014.

After applying online, I received an email within the week providing me with site options for the Americorps program in the city of my choice. I then had an interview within the next two weeks and a final interview a week later.

The initial contact was friendly and helpful. He suggested different areas of Americorps that might fit my personality or interests. After my first interview, I was directed to a specific site to interview with the site supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel is the biggest problem our country is currently facing and why?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Americorps members are on a fixed and limited salary.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Apply Online. Pick specific areas like education, healthcare, etc to see the programs that are running in the specific area you want. The director of each program contacted me to set up an interview. The interview was a panel style interview with the returning members being there.

None, its a stipend

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Initial phone interview about AmeriCorps in general, then 2nd interview about the specific position.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

Had to complete an online application and after I finished was asked a series of yes or no interview questions (within a month ).

Interview Questions
    i had to take the salary they offered