AmeriCorps Americorps VISTA Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2014

2.3

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Hiring process is done via the AmeriCorp website but depends on where and what the position is interviewing for. You must be accepted by the AmeriCorps Vista program and by the agency your will be working out of.

Interview Questions
  • How can you help fix the problems of this site/why would you be an asset.   Answer Question
There is no negotiation phase

Other Interview Reviews for AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at AmeriCorps in April 2014.

applied to americorps online, sent in resume to listed contact on americorps website just to be safe, received phone interview next day from a woman different than the listed contact, scheduled interview for later that week. Was supposed to find out three days later yes or no and never heard back...

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Varies a lot based on the site--had interviews over Skype and phone, with some sites doing multiple rounds of interviews.
    Common questions across all were, "How prepared are you to live on the [low] VISTA living allowance?" "How are your Spanish skills? [since I was interviewing for Spanish-speaking nonprofits]"

Interview Questions
    • How prepared are you to live on the VISTA living allowance?   View Answer

AmeriCorps* Vista Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

The questions are pretty much expected. Questions usually are bases around the job description and skills so look at that before the interview. Prior experience in the area of service is greatly preferred. Don't worry if you're not bilingual. Usually one interview (phone or on person) and then find out about 2 weeks later of hired.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are pretty standard. Make sure you show your passion for the work you will being doing and any understanding/experience you have with poverty.   Answer Question

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at AmeriCorps in May 2013.

It really depends on the organizations you apply to - I applied to many positions but only heard back from a couple, and the first organization to get back to me was the first one I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything particularly challenging as far as questions asked. Do your research on the organization and what they do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Also, not enough information given to me about the stipend (very very little to live on especially in the Bay Area), or any assistance even though I was from out of town and had never been to the area. Again do your research on the area and whether you can actually afford to live there on the stipend.

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at AmeriCorps in January 2011.

You go to the Americorps website and create a profile. List your references and pick them carefully. Americorps and the organization you will work for through Americorps will contact your references. There will be an email sent to you by the organization in conjunction with Americorps to let you know if you were chosen and if so what the next step will be. The next phase is an in person interview either with the organization or your supervisor.

Salary was fixed.

Americorps-Vista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at AmeriCorps in April 2010.

I heard about the position through my university's job posting website. I was able to send in my resume and complete the application process by going online through the AmeriCorps website. I received an e-mail a couple of days afterwards letting me know of my interview date.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in AmeriCorps? Have you had any leadership experience in the past? What are your future plans?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation when it comes to the AmeriCorps stipend. You get paid bi weekly and there is an educational award at the end.

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New England (Jamaica)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New England (Jamaica)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps in May 2013.

Online Americorps application system is a mess, especially the the references part -- so many of the emails are flagged as spam. Once I got through that, had a smooth interview with the site supervisor, was offered the position about two weeks later and accepted. Gave my month's notice to my boss at my job the next day.
    A week and a half later, I was contacted by the project VISTA leader (site supervisor's supervisor) who said I needed to interview with her. A few days after that, the statewide VISTA administrator said I needed to interview with her, too. Both said the site supervisor had no authority to hire me without their approval. I almost cried -- I thought I had the job, and had given my notice accordingly. The site supervisor later told me the interviews were just for paperwork's sake, but it was still very disconcerting.

Interview Questions
    • "Can you do grungier?" I showed up for the interview in a business suit. Site supervisor told me, since the position is for a food justice organization that does community gardens/farming, I should dress for unexpected agricultural adventures each day rather than the business-casual that VISTA had recommended.   Answer Question
    There was none. VISTA sets the stipend and you either accept that or you don't.