AmeriCorps Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had a phone interview with the sponsor head organization. Considering I was in the area I then had an in person interview at the nonprofit, site location with my actual supervisor. Both of which were very friendly and relaxed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Replied to job opening via email. Was asked to come in for an interview. The interview consisted of questions about my background (I was college student at the time), why I was interested in the HIV field and how I felt I would work within a six-member team as an individual as well as collectively in order to complete the objective of a long-term project. I was told by the supervisor that he liked me and my answers and would hear back shortly. I was then welcomed to the team within a week. After being selected, I met with the other five teammates a few days before flying to pre-service (on-boarding/orientation) in Santa Fe, NM.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work in the HIV field?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It is a federally-funded program with a set living stipend for each member.

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

phone interviews - usually a first round with a VISTA Coordinator/Leader where they ask you questions about yourself, your working style, why you want to be a VISTA and then a second interview with somebody form the sponsoring organization where they ask questions more specific to position you applied for

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AmeriCorps in July 2015.

Interview

Initial "interview" was with AmeriCorps VISTA supervisor to go over details of the program itself in most cases. Interviews were conducted by the different non-profits themselves that I would be working for. Questions varied from organization to organization as well as knowledge about how VISTA itself works. For a few organizations there was only one group interview before a final offer was tendered. One interview there was an initial phone call interview followed by a skype interview. Another organization began with a group interview then had a final 1:1 interview with the CEO to do any final vetting.

Interview Questions

• Every single interview asked "Why AmeriCorps? Why VISTA?" "How would your current or most recent supervisor describe you? How would you describe yourself?"   Answer Question

Community HealthCorps Interview

Interview

very extensive, multi-leveled approach, allowed for ranking in preferences from both host site and applicant. rewarding - interview process was very personal. First, was a phone screening process, interview asked general work environment questions (weaknesses, strengths, challenges, etc). Then came the in-person interviews. Applicants' resumes were submitted to multiple host sites, and site supervisors were able to select their most interested applicants. Ultimately, upon completion of interviews, both supervisors and applicants were asked to rank their interviews in order of interest and the program coordinator would assign based on outcomes.

Interview Questions

• What are some challenges you've encountered when working in a group setting?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses in completing a long term project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I received a call from the agency I applied to a few days after applying on the AmeriCorps website. We set up a phone interview for the next day which consisted of three employees who were prior volunteers. They asked 10 difficult questions and at the end set up a Skype interview for the next day (I currently live in another state). The Skype interview was with two employees (from the phone interview) and a current AmeriCorps volunteer. I thought this time it would just be to put a face to my voice, but they went around and asked several more questions. It went very well and at the end they offered me the position. My advice would be to research the agency and be prepared to give examples of what experiences you had that prepared you for the position. I didn't expect such an extensive interview for a volunteer position, and if I wasn't prepared I don't think I would have gotten it.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about AmeriCorps? What do you know about our agency? Tell me about your experience? How would you work with clients that speak another language? What diverse populations have you worked with? How would you handle a client who is upset? What are you looking to gain from this experience? Do you understand why the stipend is low?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Detroit, MI).

Interview

There are 3 interviews each of which make sure you are okay living below the poverty line to do the position. They also ask about your endurance, how do you know you won't get burnt out easily etc.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work 40 hours a week for less than minimum wage?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Interview

It was very relaxed and informal. They asked standard questions, mainly about what led you to applying to AmeriCorps. They also give your information about the program. It's also important to know how AmeriCorps will fit into your long term plans. There are a lot of opportunities to ask questions which is nice.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Houston, TX).

Interview

it was informal. they explained that it was not really a job interview but an opportunity to meet everyone and learn more about each other and the organization's objectives. there were 5 people there and all of them had 3 or four questions to ask me..most of them were not managers or supervisors but fellow corps members.

Health and Wellness Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Bloomington, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

Talked with Host site and they referred me to Americorp to get registered. Contacted americorp local office and set up a time to come in and get sworn in. They have an orientation before you start but it was very low key. After that I could start serving at my host site.

Interview Questions

• how do you work with kids?   1 Answer