AmeriCorps Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.3

Service Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Camden, ME) in September 2011.

Interview

Paperwork was insane. Most ever. In-person interview with site supervisor fairly normal, but phone interview with AmeriCorps interviewer had a lot of mis-information and strange, scripted questions.

Interview Questions

• Hard for me to remember, but it was a lot of ethical questions about things like stealing, etc. (Phone interview this is). Scripted questions, with person on other end of phone writing down the answers. No follow-up questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating.

Community Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumter, SC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Sumter, SC) in October 2010.

Interview

The interview consist of the whole staff asking questions about qualifications of the job and what I could bring to the table.

Interview Questions

• How could I handle particpants that were my peers?   1 Answer

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

I applied for Pittsburgh Health Corps and Compass AmeriCorps, both groups based in Pittsburgh, PA. I went to a totally of eight interviews - one with the director of health corps, one with Compass, and six on-site interviews.

There are two problems with AmeriCorps. The first problem is they strongly prefer hiring college graduates with little to no experience. By the time I graduated I already have done three internships and one research fellowship. I wanted to join AmeriCorps to help my community, but I was rejected by all six on-site interviews because I was apparently "overqualified" to them. Meanwhile, two of my friends with little work experience out of college got accepted into AmeriCorps so easily. The second problem is most AmeriCorps positions require or recommend that you have reliable transportation. I can't imagine living on less-than-minimum wages while having a car (maintain it, pay for gas, pay for car insurance). Not to mention you are already struggling to pay for rent, phone bills, and buy groceries. If you want to join AmeriCorps and don't want to struggle with finances, you must fit in the "perfect" category of a college graduate that has little or no job experience, has a car and somehow able to keep it, and lives with his/her parents or five roommates.

Interview Questions

• 1) Why do you want to join AmeriCorps?
      2) How do you motivate yourself at work while living on a small stipend?
      3) What do you want to do after the AmeriCorps term is over (full-time job or graduate school?)
      4) Why are you interested in helping your community and addressing social issues?
      5) Are you willing to work with low-income, poor, and minority families?

Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Interview

It was very relaxed and informal. They asked standard questions, mainly about what led you to applying to AmeriCorps. They also give your information about the program. It's also important to know how AmeriCorps will fit into your long term plans. There are a lot of opportunities to ask questions which is nice.

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Fort Worth, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

There are typically three interviews. The first will be with the AmeriCorps VISTA Leader assigned to your project. The second will be with the Project Director and your final will be with the Direct Site Supervisor. The first call will cover AmeriCorps VISTA basics and ensure that you understand the commitment of this program as well gauge why you are joining VISTA. The second interview will go over the specific project to gauge why you are interested in this project over others. The third interview will go over the specific duties of your site that you will assigned to, to gauge whether or not you will mesh well with the current work being done and the office you will be joining as well as to see what you will add to the team.

Interview Questions

• What are you hoping to gain from your service year with AmeriCorps VISTA?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in this specific VISTA program?   Answer Question
    • What experience do you have, both through volunteer and employment, working with your community?   Answer Question

ICH Life Skills Coach Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

straitforward. Phone then in person with AmeriCorp hiring person and then with the person who will be their direct supervisor at your specific position. They ask pretty standard questions. Nothing unexpected. They are very nice when you do the interview and seem genuinely interested in what you want to get out of the experience.

Negotiation

none. If you accept AmeriCorp you only get what they say they will pay you

Team Leader Interview

Application

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

Filled out my application on myamericorps.gov for a Corps Member position. It takes a very long time for your application to be processed and your status to be updated. I was constantly calling the hotline to see if there were any updates but it simply takes awhile. I was accepted to be a Corps Member but then a month or so later got an email asking if I was interested in being a Team Leader for FEMA Corps and I called in to tell them that I was. I had a hour long interview on the phone with two of the unit leaders and they asked a lot of behavioral questions and personality questions. After that I had to complete two essays regarding civic engagement and leadership.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if two members of your team were in a relationship and it made other members of the team uncomfortable?   Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

The application process was pretty standard answered questions about previous experience. I was then chosen for a phone interview. The phone interview had basic questions asking about certain experiences on my resume and how I would deal with specific situations of conflict, diversity, etc. I was then invited to the in-person interview. Every AmeriCorps program is different. The one I interviewed for is health related and their are various nonprofit clinics that partner with the project called Project Health Access. The in-person interview took a few hours because there were supervisors from various sites that were hiring and 20 plus people interviewing for the different positions. The sites presented what they were all about and what kind of member they were looking for. I then chose a few different sites to have a 5 minute interview with. The interviews were standard and informational due to only being 5 minutes.

AmerCorps Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

Depends on the Organization. If you are going to be working for a community organization you should commit a great deal of time to researching that organization and the surrounding community and why improving that community is important to you personally.

It's important to make the intervewer believe you were meant for this role.

Unit Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps (Denver, CO) in December 2012.

Interview

The add was posted in September on USAjobs. I received the approval for being elevated to the next level of hiring within one week of the add closing thru an Email from USAjobs. I wasn't contacted for a phone interview until November and had the phone interview and face to face interview in December. I received the offer the first week of January and started working at the job two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Questions about FEMA Corps Unit Leader when the job ad and position title was for AmerCorps NCCC Unit Leader. Do all your research and understand the history of company and the type of work they do.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no real room for negotiation with this position. Be ready to ask for more when you get the Final offer and know the price range of the posted job. It never hurts to ask for more if you meet or exceed the required skills for the position. They will not resend the offer if you inquire for a higher salary they will either tell you yes its available or no it is not.You never know until you ask and you might sell yourself short if you do not at least inquire about it.