AmeriCorps Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.2

AmeriCorps Member Interview

It's a frustrating process full of confusion and quick deadlines. There is no real interview process, at least for Corps Members. You submit your application, and then you wait for them to review your provided information and run some background checks. Figuring out where you are in the process is obnoxious, but it took only a month start to finish to hear a final yes. Also, the final yes is still conditional upon your completion of paperwork every 10 days.

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Hiring process is done via the AmeriCorp website but depends on where and what the position is interviewing for. You must be accepted by the AmeriCorps Vista program and by the agency your will be working out of.

Interview Questions
    • How can you help fix the problems of this site/why would you be an asset.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase

Habitat for Humainty Interview

Very lengthy, done completely over the phone. The process also required in-depth recommendation forms to be filled out by people who can attest to your character and abilities. There is also an in-depth questionnaire about your experience in community work and why you think you would make a good AmeriCorps.

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied online - interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Varies a lot based on the site--had interviews over Skype and phone, with some sites doing multiple rounds of interviews.
    Common questions across all were, "How prepared are you to live on the [low] VISTA living allowance?" "How are your Spanish skills? [since I was interviewing for Spanish-speaking nonprofits]"

Interview Questions
    • How prepared are you to live on the VISTA living allowance?   View Answer

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Apply Online. Pick specific areas like education, healthcare, etc to see the programs that are running in the specific area you want. The director of each program contacted me to set up an interview. The interview was a panel style interview with the returning members being there.

None, its a stipend

Girls INC Group Leader Interview

I applied online - interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Submit an app they call you for a group interview and a one on one interview

there is no negotiation. You live on what you get

Citizen Corps Coordinator Interview

I'm pretty sure I just submitted an application online and was quickly called in for a face-to-face interview. I did the interview, and was hired that day. I think it's because no one else wanted to do the job.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Initial phone interview about AmeriCorps in general, then 2nd interview about the specific position.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Had to complete an online application and after I finished was asked a series of yes or no interview questions (within a month ).

Interview Questions
    i had to take the salary they offered

Mentor Recruiter Interview

This position was referred to me, by someone that had oversight of the program. There was about 2 weeks between turning in my application and the actual interview process.

The program was working directly with a School District so the Director of Community Engagement for the school district administered the interview.

The interview was typical direct questions of
    -Tell me about yourself
    - Why are you interested in Americorps VISTA?
    - What skills (from experience) will you be able to bring to being a recruiter?
    -What are some challenges that you foresee and how will you maneuver?

There was also a portion of time when the Director was trying to make sure that I knew what I was getting into and that it was volunteer... she wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to quit because she felt my education level was higher than many of the other volunteers.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult (standard general questions). The interview is more of a time of them getting to know you and an informational for seeing if it is an opportunity of interest.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. Americorps VISTA is a stipend program and you know the details of the stipend prior to interviewing.

Worked for AmeriCorps? Contribute to the Community!