AmeriCorps

Updated Feb 28, 2015
Updated Feb 28, 2015

2.2

Citizen Corps Coordinator Interview

I'm pretty sure I just submitted an application online and was quickly called in for a face-to-face interview. I did the interview, and was hired that day. I think it's because no one else wanted to do the job.

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at AmeriCorps in April 2014.

applied to americorps online, sent in resume to listed contact on americorps website just to be safe, received phone interview next day from a woman different than the listed contact, scheduled interview for later that week. Was supposed to find out three days later yes or no and never heard back...

Field Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vicksburg, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vicksburg, MS

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps in April 2014.

The interview consisted of a phone call with a Unit Leader (direct supervisor) and another member from program staff. The interview was conducted first as general questions related to your personality and leadership style. Then the interviewers moved on to more logistical skill questions regarding work with budgets, work with administrative tasks, work with communications, and even if you have driven a 15 passenger van before. Then both interviewers took turns asking hypothetical situation questions

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of Hypothetical situation questions specifically regarding how you would deal with team and individual conflict   Answer Question

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Varies a lot based on the site--had interviews over Skype and phone, with some sites doing multiple rounds of interviews.
    Common questions across all were, "How prepared are you to live on the [low] VISTA living allowance?" "How are your Spanish skills? [since I was interviewing for Spanish-speaking nonprofits]"

Interview Questions
    • How prepared are you to live on the VISTA living allowance?   View Answer

Habitat for Humainty Interview

Very lengthy, done completely over the phone. The process also required in-depth recommendation forms to be filled out by people who can attest to your character and abilities. There is also an in-depth questionnaire about your experience in community work and why you think you would make a good AmeriCorps.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

It was very easy and simple for the most part. The problem is, at least with the NCCC, their selection process is basically a lottery. I have seen extremely qualified people apply and be denied or put on a wait list. Your best bet is to apply early and do a good interview. From there, its really just luck of the draw.

Interview Questions
    • How well can you adapt to a constantly changing work environment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps in February 2014.

After applying online, I received an email within the week providing me with site options for the Americorps program in the city of my choice. I then had an interview within the next two weeks and a final interview a week later.

The initial contact was friendly and helpful. He suggested different areas of Americorps that might fit my personality or interests. After my first interview, I was directed to a specific site to interview with the site supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel is the biggest problem our country is currently facing and why?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Americorps members are on a fixed and limited salary.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Apply Online. Pick specific areas like education, healthcare, etc to see the programs that are running in the specific area you want. The director of each program contacted me to set up an interview. The interview was a panel style interview with the returning members being there.

None, its a stipend

Mentor Recruiter Interview

This position was referred to me, by someone that had oversight of the program. There was about 2 weeks between turning in my application and the actual interview process.

The program was working directly with a School District so the Director of Community Engagement for the school district administered the interview.

The interview was typical direct questions of
    -Tell me about yourself
    - Why are you interested in Americorps VISTA?
    - What skills (from experience) will you be able to bring to being a recruiter?
    -What are some challenges that you foresee and how will you maneuver?

There was also a portion of time when the Director was trying to make sure that I knew what I was getting into and that it was volunteer... she wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to quit because she felt my education level was higher than many of the other volunteers.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult (standard general questions). The interview is more of a time of them getting to know you and an informational for seeing if it is an opportunity of interest.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. Americorps VISTA is a stipend program and you know the details of the stipend prior to interviewing.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Initial phone interview about AmeriCorps in general, then 2nd interview about the specific position.