AmeriCorps

50 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mentor Recruiter Interview

Interviewed at AmeriCorps

Interview Details – This position was referred to me, by someone that had oversight of the program. There was about 2 weeks between turning in my application and the actual interview process.

The program was working directly with a School District so the Director of Community Engagement for the school district administered the interview.

The interview was typical direct questions of
-Tell me about yourself
- Why are you interested in Americorps VISTA?
- What skills (from experience) will you be able to bring to being a recruiter?
-What are some challenges that you foresee and how will you maneuver?

There was also a portion of time when the Director was trying to make sure that I knew what I was getting into and that it was volunteer... she wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to quit because she felt my education level was higher than many of the other volunteers.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult (standard general questions). The interview is more of a time of them getting to know you and an informational for seeing if it is an opportunity of interest.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. Americorps VISTA is a stipend program and you know the details of the stipend prior to interviewing.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

AmeriCorps Member

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview Details – Had to complete an online application and after I finished was asked a series of yes or no interview questions (within a month ).

Interview Question – none they were straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i had to take the salary they offered

Corps Member Interview

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps in January 2009.

Interview Details – Once you apply through the AmeriCorps website, they do an initial short phone interview (lasting about 15-20 mins). After you have passed the original interview (consisting mainly of why you are interested in this position and just going over the background the what they expect form candidates), they will call back and let you know if you have been selected for another interview. This next interview is done over the phone (lasting about 40 - 60 mins). This interview will give you a few scenarios and then some more typical interview questions (i.e. how are you working on a team? how do you like diversity? how are you working with a person that you have a conflict with). Once that interview is done, you sit back and patiently wait to either get the big acceptance envelope, or the small wait-list/rejected envelope.

Interview Question – The most difficult ones were the scenario questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase; they tell you when you are expected to leave (mine was the first of February) and then a few weeks before you leave, they provide the flight of transportation information.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

AmeriCorps Member Interview

AmeriCorps Member

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview Details – The phone interview was concise and pleasant. The Iowa staff was courteous, responsive, and engaging.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions that I can remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview Details – Phone interview or in person interview depending on your location. Usually find out about job within 2 weeks. Afterwards you have to go back to the AmeriCorps portal to approve your offer. Most questions are about the job description and you ability to perform the tasks. Make sure you share you passions for helping others, especially those in poverty. AmeriCorps looks for passionate people! Don't have a them vs. us mentality. Instead possess a community outlook regarding those in poverty.

Interview Question – Be able to understand what sustainable programs are and why they are necessary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Everything is as is.

Girls INC Group Leader Interview

I applied online and interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview Details – Submit an app they call you for a group interview and a one on one interview

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation. You live on what you get

Jumpstart Tutor Interview

Interviewed at AmeriCorps

Interview Details – The interview was straight-forward.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

AmeriCorps* Vista Interview

AmeriCorps* Vista

I applied through college or university and interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview Details – The questions are pretty much expected. Questions usually are bases around the job description and skills so look at that before the interview. Prior experience in the area of service is greatly preferred. Don't worry if you're not bilingual. Usually one interview (phone or on person) and then find out about 2 weeks later of hired.

Interview Question – Questions are pretty standard. Make sure you show your passion for the work you will being doing and any understanding/experience you have with poverty.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Corps Member
Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps in March 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and after a week, was contacted for an in-person email. The applications are scored and those who pass a certain threshold are given interviews. The in-person interview went for about 30 minutes and most questions were pretty straight-forward. They wanted to make sure you were in it for the right reasons, make sure that you understood that you would be making very little money and that you could live on it, and had a lot of flexibility. Within 2 days, I received a job offer and was given 2 weeks to accept or deny.

Interview Question – What do you think will be the most difficult part of working with populations unlike your own?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

New Haven, CT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2009.

Interview Details – You apply on the AmeriCorps website and then fill out an application with a specific employer. You are then contacted for a first round of interviews. If you are accepted, you are given a second, more serious interview about your commitment to teaching. Then you are accepted as a full-time teacher.

Interview Question – What skills will you bring to the classroom to help our children learn?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at AmeriCorps