AmeriCorps

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.2

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AmeriCorps in April 2013.

Submit application online. Apply to up-to 20 employers.

Computer Literacy Instructor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Filled out the application online, went to a 2 person interview, then to a group interview then I was emailed to let know i had the position.

Interview Questions
    You are unable to really negotiate your living allowance only hours.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Onsite interview, interaction with children and old members.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions about aggressive children and parents.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase, service is for a full year term.

Unit Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps in December 2012.

The add was posted in September on USAjobs. I received the approval for being elevated to the next level of hiring within one week of the add closing thru an Email from USAjobs. I wasn't contacted for a phone interview until November and had the phone interview and face to face interview in December. I received the offer the first week of January and started working at the job two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about FEMA Corps Unit Leader when the job ad and position title was for AmerCorps NCCC Unit Leader. Do all your research and understand the history of company and the type of work they do.   View Answer
    no real room for negotiation with this position. Be ready to ask for more when you get the Final offer and know the price range of the posted job. It never hurts to ask for more if you meet or exceed the required skills for the position. They will not resend the offer if you inquire for a higher salary they will either tell you yes its available or no it is not.You never know until you ask and you might sell yourself short if you do not at least inquire about it.

Long and Tedious Applications Process Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps in July 2012.

The online application process is a pain. It is long, involved and extremely tedious. I understand trying to weed out those who truly want to help over those looking for a free ride but the number of hoops I had to jump though just to get an interview was ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with conflict when people refuse to listen to your reasoning yet you must aid them?   View Answer

Service Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, ME

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps in September 2011.

Paperwork was insane. Most ever. In-person interview with site supervisor fairly normal, but phone interview with AmeriCorps interviewer had a lot of mis-information and strange, scripted questions.

Interview Questions
    • Hard for me to remember, but it was a lot of ethical questions about things like stealing, etc. (Phone interview this is). Scripted questions, with person on other end of phone writing down the answers. No follow-up questions.   View Answer
    There was no negotiating.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2011.

The interviewer was very friendly and informative about the position's expectations. The questions were standard interview questions such as about my strengths and situations I'd overcome.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of conflict you had and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at AmeriCorps in June 2011.

The process takes a long time-
    First you submit an application online, including your resume, recommendations, and a personal statement.
    After you've been green-lighted, which can take a long time, you have a super basic phone interview.
    After that, you have a bunch of paperwork to fill out, including complete medical history and a background check.
    After all that, you're finally accepted!

Interview Questions
    • Take a lot of time on your personal statement- it's the most important part.   Answer Question

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at AmeriCorps in June 2011.

The hiring and interview process was simple: 1) Replied to a Craigslist post by applying on the BAYAC AmeriCorps jobs site 2) Was contacted by phone for an interview 3) Interviewed by a panel of 4 people in leadership positions

Program Coordinator, Non-Profit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at AmeriCorps in April 2011.

I interviewed with 3 different organizations. I ranked which one I would like most to work for and they ranked which candidate they would like to employ most.

Interview Questions
    I received a phone call and was expected to accept the job on the spot. I took a day and returned the call to accept the job.