AmeriCorps

Relevance Date Difficulty

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer
Oakland, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at AmeriCorps in June 2010.

Interview Details – Fairly easy, the basic "Why do you want to join and where do you see yourself in five years. Afterwards a bit about your hours, personal skills, and interests. Since I'm in college I was also asked about what I'm planning career wise and how I believe Americorps will help me to achieve those goals.

Interview Question – How will Americorps prepare you in your career?   Answer Question

Americorps-Vista Interview

Americorps-Vista
Dallas, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at AmeriCorps in April 2010.

Interview Details – I heard about the position through my university's job posting website. I was able to send in my resume and complete the application process by going online through the AmeriCorps website. I received an e-mail a couple of days afterwards letting me know of my interview date.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
  • Why are you interested in AmeriCorps? Have you had any leadership experience in the past? What are your future plans?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation when it comes to the AmeriCorps stipend. You get paid bi weekly and there is an educational award at the end.

Americorps-Vista, Friendship Volunteer Center Interview

Americorps-Vista, Friendship Volunteer Center
Sarasota, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2009.

Interview Details – Very simple straight forward interview. Very simple. Make sure you are competent at what they want you to be able to do. Mine may have been very simple because I was over-qualified for position.

Mostly they ask you a few questions about you knowledge of tasks and then proceed to explain what being an AmeriCorps Vista entails.

Interview Questions

• Explain your comfort level with dealing with people 55 and older.   View Answer
  • What motivates you to take this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable. AmeriCorps is a national program that is technically a year-long volunteer position.

Madison, WI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at AmeriCorps in June 2008.

Interview Details – After I submitted my resume and cover letter, I was invited to the interview. The interview consisted of a panel of 4 directors.

Interview Question – (Situational) You ask two Latina girls to leave the computer lab because they are playing games rather than working on assignments. The students argue with you and call you racist. How do you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked to rank schools and sites that I would like to be placed at. I was offered my first choice.

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps in July 2008.

Interview Details – The application is pretty in depth. It took me a good three hours of filling out general background information ,and then more time for the essay of intent. After being accepted into AmeriCorps, the processes to get placed at a site varies from place to place. I had a full interview with my site supervisor. Also, depending on the population you work with, you may be subjected to a background check and/or a drug test.

Interview Question – Why are you choosing to work with adults when there are so many more opportunities to work with children?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No. This is a federal program. There is no leeway in your salary.

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

AmeriCorps VISTA
New England (Jamaica)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps in May 2013.

Interview Details – Online Americorps application system is a mess, especially the the references part -- so many of the emails are flagged as spam. Once I got through that, had a smooth interview with the site supervisor, was offered the position about two weeks later and accepted. Gave my month's notice to my boss at my job the next day.
A week and a half later, I was contacted by the project VISTA leader (site supervisor's supervisor) who said I needed to interview with her. A few days after that, the statewide VISTA administrator said I needed to interview with her, too. Both said the site supervisor had no authority to hire me without their approval. I almost cried -- I thought I had the job, and had given my notice accordingly. The site supervisor later told me the interviews were just for paperwork's sake, but it was still very disconcerting.

Interview Question – "Can you do grungier?" I showed up for the interview in a business suit. Site supervisor told me, since the position is for a food justice organization that does community gardens/farming, I should dress for unexpected agricultural adventures each day rather than the business-casual that VISTA had recommended.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. VISTA sets the stipend and you either accept that or you don't.

Career Advisor Interview

Career Advisor

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2012.

Interview Details – Very nice and professional environment. They really want you to succeed.

Interview Question – How are you going to survive on the living stipend.   View Answer

Mentor Interview

Mentor

I applied online - interviewed at AmeriCorps in August 2012.

Interview Details – The interview involved an initial phone interview and then a full day interview. After I got hired it was A LOT of paperwork.

Interview Question – I don't remember anything being difficult. Most of the question dealt with service to the community.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotation.

AmeriCorps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview Details – Applied for position on AmeriCorps.gov website. Contacted following day by site supervisor to schedule phone interview. I was interviewed by site supervisor and site supervisor’s boss. Interview lasted less than 20 minutes. I had more questions about the position then they had for me. Wanted to know a lot about previous service experience. Offered position the following day.

Interview Question – Questions are scripted and can be found with a simple Google search.   Answer Question

Research Coordinator and Volunteer Interview

Research Coordinator and Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AmeriCorps in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online to several positions in different locations.

I was curious to see what the job entailed, so I cold called one of the supervisors. I got all the information I needed and continued with the application.

Shortly after applying (no more than three business days) I received a call from the direct supervisor. The person I spoke to was exceptionally cordial and asked a lot of general questions (will provide details below).

The next day I spoke to another supervisor. This person asked the same questions in addition to a few personality questions. Fairly simple.

All in all, there were a total of two phone interviews. The people in AmeriCorps are much more interested in your personality and passion than experience.

Interview Questions

• This opportunity pays very little while you work full time. Are you still interested?   Answer Question
  • How would you handle making less than $11,000 a year after taxes?   View Answer
  • AmeriCorps works with all sorts of organizations. What makes this one interesting to you?   Answer Question
  • In your eyes, how would you define community?   Answer Question
  • Your college degree is not relevant to this field. Why do you want to work in an organization completely different to your studies?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unfortunately, there is no room to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at AmeriCorps