American Academy of Arts & Sciences Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

1.5

Graphic Designer/Print Production Specialist/Web Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online – interviewed at American Academy of Arts & Sciences.

3 phone calls, 2 emails, 2 interviews. All communications were positive and comfortable. First interview with my manager was good. Second with the team, publications manager, PR manager, back-end coder, and CEO was also good. Having to wait 20 minutes for CEO to be present was awkward for all.

Interview Questions
    • I was prepared for that, but there were no difficult questions, just an unexpected one. CEO asked me how I liked the Academy website. My position would include 40% web editing.   View Answer
    Good. I asked for salary with range of & $10,000 (next time, I will give a range of $5,000.) I was offered less than half of range. I could have counter-offered, but didn't.

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Academy of Arts & Sciences in January 2012.

Strange interview - they were late calling, first, which is irritating but not a deal breaker. The questions did not seem highly useful in making a determination about which candidates to invite for face to face interviews. The weirdest exchange happened when the young man who seemed to be the lead interview went off on a tangent about how hard they work and this is not a 9-5 job. I have been a college administrator for six years and worked in the non-profit world for more than a decade; I haven't had a 9-5 job in nearly 20 years. At the end of the interview, I was left feeling like (1) no doctorate was needed for this position and (2) I dearly hoped they would not select me for a face to face.

Chief Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Academy of Arts & Sciences in January 2011.

External recruiter put me forward for the role. Upon arrival at the stated time, the President kept me waiting more than 30 minutes past the interview time. I then met with the President and two other persons who were considered to be her advisors. One was an admin assistant. Very uncomfortable silences and attempts at trick questions. Bizarre.

Interview Questions
    • People don't really give to the Sciences so do you really think you'll be able to raise money? (Asked with a defeatist demeanor).   View Answer

I could not shake the 'feeling' of discomfort that I experienced during the interview process; left me thinking that decisions are made based on what trusted advisors think, not what the experts think.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Academy of Arts & Sciences in May 2009.

It was a strange interview and there were a couple of red flags but I really wanted to try this type of position.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were a bit off topic so none were particularly difficult   Answer Question