American Airlines

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the position on 09/25/13.

11/20/13 - Invitation to update my application
11/27/13 - Email inviting me to choose a date and time for interview.
(Offered on 12/09 and 12/10 8am, 11am, and 2pm.)
12/05/13 - Confirmation of my interview choice (12/09 @ 11am)
12/09/13 - Interview:

Arrived at LAX and went to the ticketing area. One of the ServisAir agents brought me to the wheelchair waiting area right outside of the Flagship Lounge. There was only one other woman waiting with me. We talked for about 30 minutes before being met by an agent who brought us upstair to the HR department.

Interview was a board of 3 employees. A customer service manager, an HR admin, and a regular agent. At first it was just myself and the woman waiting with me downstairs. A few minutes later an employee walked in and asked the CS manager if a late arrival could participate. They allowed the late comer and redid their introductions. They then asked us to introduce ourselves. The interview started out with
1. What do you know about American Airlines
2. What does customer service mean to you
3. A time where you provided superior customer service
4. What would you do if you had to stay past your scheduled off time
5. What do you feel you can bring to the New American?

There were some more questions in there that I can't quite remember. The whole experience was very laid back and enjoyable. We all made it very conversational while keeping it professional at the same time. The interviewers and interviewees were cracking jokes and everyone was laughing. One of the most positive and enjoyable interviews I've experienced. At the end, they asked us for our questions and advised that it could be a while before we hear anything (this was the day the merger became official). They did advise us that they were looking for a class of about 10-20 people. And to just be patient as they received a lot of applicants and were looking very closely for the best fits.

12/13/13 (Friday the 13th) - I received a phone call and email to fill out my background check for HireRight. Sent it in that morning. And scheduled my fingerprinting for SIDA appointment. Around 5pm I received an email from HireRight saying that my background check had been completed.
12/16/13 - Completed my fingerprinting at AA's Medical Center at LAX. Also received an email from talent services asking me for supplemental information for certain dates to complete my background check.
12/19/13 - Received email from the compliance department advising me that my background check had cleared.
12/20/13 - Received phone call and email with my offer letter. Signed onto the OnBoarding Portal to accept the position and job description.

I now need to schedule my medical. In my offer letter it stated that after my medical, they would be able to establish a start date. In my interview they said usually the day ofter you are cleared for your SIDA badge is when you start.

The entire process was very pleasant. Everyone has been very kind and professional. I am very excited to be a part of the New American!

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you were able to turn a customer's frown upside down?

-Very easy question and this was honestly the only one that I had to actually think about for a few seconds. The questions were very basic and conversational.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Starting wage due to LAX Living Wage Ordinance (LWO) is 15.67. After 30 days it reduces to 10.91 as you then become eligible for company health and welfare benefits.

Dayton, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2010.

Interview Details – I feel like the online application took forever to complete. Then I received an email stating they were holding interviews on this day at a hotel. I showed up, and there was a room full of other applicants. Interviews were held round table style on a first come first serve basis. Every applicant was asked to answer only 5 questions and then we were told we would receive an email letting us know if we got the job or not. My only concern with this was the hourly rate, and that once I got there I found out they were looking to fill ramp agents instead of desk agents. Even though they both fall under the same category, the job description did not state anything about being a ramp agent. I was not interested in hauling luggage onto airplanes.

Interview Question – How would you handle an upset customer?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2011.

Interview Details – There was about 25 people there. As they started to talk in detail about the position about half the people got up and walked out of the room. The customer service rep is also the baggage handler and a ramp agent, It is a very physical job. They called 4 people in at a time and we all had a group interview. There was 5 people that asked us about 10 questions. Then we went into the main room and got finger printed.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The hours weren't good and the pay was horrible.
I was told in the email I could become full time but after the interview I was told they hardly ever hire full time positions.They recommended you do not have another job because if they need you, you have to come in. They won't work around another jobs schedule. However they could only guarantee 20 hours a week.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!