American Airlines

89 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Flight Attendant
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1 - Applied.
2 - Was given the personality test.
3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
- Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
- Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
- Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
- Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
- Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
- You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
- Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
- S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
- S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
- S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
- S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
- 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
- Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
- Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
- Q2: Do you work for AA?
- Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
- Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
- Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
- Fill out forms.
- 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
- Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
- You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
- Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
- Take your height/weight.
- Go over medical history with you.
- They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
- They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
- Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – This is an update- I just wanted to share my face to face interview experience because I learned so much from this website prior to my f2f! :)

It was just as everyone has described it- fun, friendly, relaxing, and just an overall great experience.
We started out in a room where they collect passports and everyone is mingling and filling out a quick little writing response- " The CEO of AA is on your flight and in your section- number each of the following five sentences in order of importance to you and then underneath list your reason for whatever question you marked as Number 1."
Next they take you all into a room where there is 25-30 applicants and 5-6 AA employees. They all introduce themselves, tell you where they are based and how long they have worked for AA.
Then we watch a little video on what AA is all about and who they are partnered with, following that we play the Who's Who game which was a great fun little ice breaker.
I'm going to skip the description and jump to the interview, because what questions to expect are what we are all looking for on here.

Question one- In order from left to right Introduce yourself and then tell us what quality you would look for in a flight attendant if you were on the hiring side.

Question two- Anyone can answer in whatever order- What are you most proud of at your current job or previous job- an accomplishment or an experience you had with a customer. (a girl asked a question, stopped speaking, so I volunteered to go first)

Question three- Pick from a deck of cards, don't look at the question until you are standing in front of the room- any order will do- (I went 2nd) My question was If you could have dinner with anyone in the world who would it be and why.

Question four- to all of us, in any order- Why is excellent customer service important to you and what would it entail. (I think I answered 3rd to be polite).

I think that covers the group interview which included 5 applicants and 2 interviewers.

They take us back to the room and then you watch a video on benefits, training, and lots lots more. Afterwards you're given the opportunity to ask any questions you have. Then they open the door and the recruiters come and get you one by one. I've heard they take some people straight to the shuttle waiting area and others they take for a 1on1 interview. I was taken to a 1on1 interview!

First question- tell me about yourself.

Second question- if you had a brand, unique to you, what would that brand be and why?

Third question- Tell me about a time you had excellent customer service.

Fourth question- do you have any tattoos? - Which I do and I answered honestly and agreed 100% that I was willing to do whatever it took to make sure the tattoo would never show.

She asked if I had any questions- then took me to fill out two pieces of paper, get finger printed, and make sure I could reach inside the overhead bin.

I then went to the shuttle, flew home, and the next morning I received an email about making it to the next round!! :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! Stay relaxed as possible- don't have coffee that morning- it will just make your heart race, have some tea! BREATHE! and be you! L:)

Interview Question – If you had a brand, unique to you, what would that brand be and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No quite an offer yet but once my background check clears and I pass my physical (which shouldn't be a problem) I'll gladly accept!! :)

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – Nov/2013 - Applied online
Nov/2013 - Personality Test online
Dec/2013 - Video interview online
Jan/2013 - Call to complete online application
Jan/2013 - Invitation for F2F interview in Dallas
Feb/2013 - Face to Face Interview, Dallas TX. Followed the advice on here, got fingerprinted.
Feb/2013 - Recieved DOT forms via email, faxed them back
Mar/2013 - 2.5 weeks passed, still waiting to hear back on DOT forms / Background check. Anyday now! =)

Interview Question – What are your thoughts on social media?

That one came a bit out of the blue in the panel interview. They passed out cards with questions on them then we took turns standing in front of the group and speaking on our topic or question. It seemed to be a test of extemporaneous speaking skill.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Terms negotiated by Flight Attendant Union. 21.26 per flight hour. 75 hour guarantee. $2.00 per diem. 8.5 weeks unpaid training. Room and board provided for training.

Bi-lingual Flight Attendant Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – One word of advice here is to really rest before this interview. I think that this was one of my errors- flying in the same day. If you can- fly in the night before- get a hotel and really rest. I was up 12 hours even before my interview started so I was exhausted by the time I got there. Big mistake!
When you arrive- start being social - strike up a conversation and really get engaged. I made the mistake of arriving too early with another candidate and we went out to the terrace to watch what looked like a graduation of the FA's outside. Big mistake! I really needed to have stayed in the lobby and mingled with the other hopefuls. When I came back to the meeting room (on time), the recruiter said "of you came back" as if to say- why wasn't I in the lobby with everyone else.
During the group exercise they are watching everything so you need to be super bubbly and work really well with the others. Also made a mistake here when I was asked a question- I didn't hear the recruiters instruction. Again, spaced out because I was really tired. I saw other people do the same as I and made mistakes trying to follow the group exercise instructions- they all came on the bus back to the airport- so pay attention!!!
Next was the group interview- also extremely strange to get to hear people's answers. This may be another mistake I made- I tried too hard to impress them with accolades from my old job. They are really there to hear your customer service experience so make it about the customer. Don't list awards or other achievements. I listed a certification they had never even heard of- so guess what- they didn't care because they couldn't relate- they had no idea what it was!! When asked what my biggest accomplishment was- I should have listed an experience with the customer and how happy I made them. I really don't think they want to know how you saved the company money or anything grand- again you are going in for a flight attendant position- not to be CEO. This portion of the interview was very odd because I thought some of the people there answered very well and were going to be picked. I was wrong again- everyone from my group interview got sent home early. I think they are really looking for good looking 21 year olds who have just enough work experience, but who are not very accomplished. I worked for a fortune 500 company for 14 years and have a masters degree- I really think, in hindsight, that I came off way too accomplished and I tried to impress them with those accolades. They are looking for young, good-looking people who are not going to ask questions. There was a portion at the end where they take questions- look out! Don't ask things that will give you away as someone who may not like training- a fellow asked if he would be able to leave on the weekends to see his family and they said absolutely not- no one can leave training for any reason. He was not picked and I think this had something to do with it. I also mentioned that I am married and that I live in a small town. Big mistake! Don't talk about your family or anything that ties you anywhere. A huge emphasis was placed on relocation, how mobile you have to be, and that you can be away from your home for up to 6 days. Even though I have no problem moving to another city at a moments notice- they didn't know that. I think when I mentioned I was married that was a huge flag for them. Again, I really think they are looking for cute 21 year olds with no family or attachments to re-build their workforce. AA is going through a huge overhaul and they need lots of new attendants. If you have a family- don't mention them and don't ask any questions about the relocation process- it makes it look like you are worried. For anyone who is wondering- I kept my mouth shut during the questioning, but watched other people stick their shoe in the mud. For the record I am 33 but I look 25 (slim, tall, bla bla bla). The only reason why I am mentioning age here is that NONE of the older candidates got picked, but the cute 22 year old blondes did. I knew that looking young and "pretty" was a huge deal- so look the part. I am not judging AA for choosing this way as it's obvious that they want to rebuild their workforce with younger people who will be there a long time- lifers.
My biggest advice here is to be social, be very bubbly, don't mention your family or anything tying you to where you live. Make all of your answers relate to customer service and how well you have provided service to clients- don't go on about awards and other stuff not about helping the customer. This is unlike any interview you have been on- you actually need to make friends here and make sure the recruiters see you doing this. Again, if you don't fit the mold of the 20 something carefree gal- don't be disappointed if you are not chosen. Hope this helps!

Interview Question – If you could be any super hero, which would it be?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in late October on the American Airlines website. I received a pretty quick response for me to move forward to the next step which was a personality test and then video interview. I was not that confident in my webcam interview because you are looking at yourself when speaking. However, 3 days or so later I received an email inviting me to the head quarters for the assessment day interview. when I went I wore slacks, heels, and a blazer. When going in for the assessment interview, look sharp and professional. You will meet everyone in a room to sign in. Do not forget passport, and license along with anything else they say to bring. It is important to follow directions. After we sign in we are taken to a larger room and placed in groups. We did a group activity and introduced ourselves to everyone. The trainers are watching how you interact with everyone and how comfortable you are. I didn't notice them watching until someone mentioned that that is what they were doing. After the group activity, they take 5 to 6 people into separate rooms and have the group interview. I have never done a group interview but to my surprise I really felt comfortable and enjoyed it. You will be nervous but honestly, all you can do is be yourself. Think of your answers before you speak. They are taking notes during the interview and while you are talking. Benefits of a group interview is there are more people to make eye contact with. Believe in your answers and have confidence. After the group interview we all head back to the big room where the group activity took place and you watch a video. When that is done they will start taking you out one by one. I was taken to a room for a one on one and finger prints. Within the next week I received an email to fill out my back ground forms and dot paper work which I had three days to send those back. I sent those Nov. 14th. After that I did not hear anything back for months! I would email once a month to follow up on the process. Four months later I received my offer letter and appointment to take my medical exam. I think the wait took long due to the holidays and the new year. I took my medical exam about two weeks ago and I received an email that I cleared my exam and now I am waiting on the call that will tell me when I start my training! This hiring process is long and you need to have patience Do not quit your job until you have training dates set. Good luck to everyone!

Interview Question – Tell a time when you needed to take control of a situation.   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was filed my apply on early Jan, got email back the next week. I received a link for web interview . A week after, I got call for F2F. It was really fan, we were playing and talking the hole time.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applies with AA and received and invitation for a video interview. A few weeks after, I received an invitation to fly to DFW to continue the interview process. While at the AA training center, I was impressed with the facilities. The process was very seamless and comfortable. There was a group activity, information about the company and the job. After some were called out and not seen again, those of us left I know for sure received 1 on 1 interviews, then our fingerprints were taken. Received an official offer letter through email and completed DOT paperwork. Then received docs to complete on line. Still have to take health and drug exam, but have received an offer to work for another airline. Not sure what i'm going to do yet.

Interview Question – Questions not difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Flight Attendant
Dallas, TX

Interview Details – During my process I referenced this site often and found the other reviews to be very helpful. I'm going to share my own experience, and add a few answers to questions I had which WEREN'T answered here, because so many others were.

I applied probably around late November, early December, and on December 17th or so I received an e-mail to complete their online video interview. These questions are pretty basic customer service questions e.g. "What was the best customer service you ever received?" and "Would you be willing to relocate for the job?"

I didn't hear back until December 30th, but keep in mind the Holidays were in that time lapse, so it probably won't be as long for others. On the 30th I got an invitation to answer a few more questions and was told I was "moving forward" in the process. Now, I responded immediately, however, days later I still had not heard anything back.
On January 10th, a little less than two weeks later, I called them and asked to make sure I had done everything, etc. In response I was transferred over to someone who scheduled me for a face to face interview.
My number one emphasis here is going to be don't be afraid to call if it's been a while or if you have questions. Talent Services is really friendly and generally it'll work in your favor. Or it did for me anyhow.

I scheduled my group interview for early February but was not sure of any flight details. They WILL pay for your flight (obviously) and they will contact you with flight information, though it will likely be sort-of last minute, as they have to get you in those left over seats on your flight.

The group interview is exactly as others have described here:
First you get a sheet of paper where you fill out a bit of information and answer a pretty basic customer service question.
Second you go into another room and sit in groups of about five, then do a group activity where you are obviously being judged by your ability to work in a group. Just be friendly, outgoing and outspoken, but not overbearing, and have fun with it. I think what they want to see most is that you are comfortable listening as much as speaking and working with others, as opposed to how much of a leader you can be.
Next you have a group interview. In different groups (also of five) you will be interviewed by two people, once again they are pretty basic customer service questions, but some that are more to explore your personality than your customer service skills. My advice here is to make sure you're heard but do not speak over any other candidates, the more you get along with the others the more relaxed you will all be, and of course it'll make you all look good.
There is one exercise here where they give everyone individual questions on cards that they hand you face-down. This one is clearly for an individual response with no influence by the others. None of these questions are particularly hard (that I saw). Examples were "What experience in your life do you think has best prepared you for the Flight Attendant position?" and "Do you think Social Media has had a positive or negative influence on the world?" (I recommend tying this one back to business purposes and positive customer feedback).

After about five questions or so, we were all taken back to the previous room and given a presentation on the demands and benefits of the flight attendant job.

After about thirty minutes, employees begin entering and taking hopefuls one by one for "one on one" interviews. At this point, they generally know whether or not you'll be moving on and one of two things will happen:
1. You will be given a brief "one on one" where they ask basic questions, if they ask anything, then ask if you have any questions for them.
2. You are taken to an actual one on one with more questions about you and about the job either before or after you are fingerprinted and given a basic "reach test" to be sure you can perform basic job functions at certain heights.

From here everyone is sent back to the airport for their returning flights.

In some instances people heard back within a day, for me it was around 48 hours before I received DOT forms. They are a rather simple employment history/ background check form which you must complete and fax back to them within 3 days.

Less than a week later I received an e-mail with a conditional job offer inside. I accepted immediately and a day later received the e-mail to set up my medical tests. Those are going to be in just under a month.

Interview Question – None of the questions was particularly hard, at least not to the extent that I would still remember it as difficult.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I advise everyone to be on time for the day of the interview. Please dress business formal. Look clean. If you are a man, please shave, comb your hair neatly and look as professional and clean as possible. If you are a female, do a pony-tail, not too much makeup, no extreme high heels, look very professional and clean. Remember to smile and be charming. Be yourself.

Interview Question – I can't recall the questions, but they really vary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I speak mandarin, so I pass the interview. it was pretty fun.
fingerprinted
DOT form
Language test
Scheduled medical test on 26th March.
but I am still thinking if I will accept the job or not eventually since My current job makes more money than FA. And I reallly do not want to leave LA. hard to decide.

Interview Question – not that tough   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nope,still making choice

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines interview questions and advice in Dallas, TX. All 89 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Airlines employees and interview candidates.