American Airlines

Average Difficulty
171 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1 - Applied.
2 - Was given the personality test.
3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
- Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
- Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
- Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
- Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
- Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
- You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
- Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
- S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
- S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
- S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
- S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
- 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
- Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
- Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
- Q2: Do you work for AA?
- Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
- Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
- Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
- Fill out forms.
- 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
- Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
- You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
- Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
- Take your height/weight.
- Go over medical history with you.
- They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
- They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
- Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at American Airlines in August 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview by phone followed by next day face to face interview. Very pleasant VP the environment seemed professional. 2nd face to face interview with team I thought it went OK no good vibe from team one of them was completely out of it they asked a lot of the same questions I had already answered with the VP.

Interview Question – No unusual question was asked.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Had an hour long group interview and they told us they will make a decision weather to offer the job to someone or call us back for a second interview next week. Waited for 2 weeks when they decided we need to come in for a second. The second was 2 hour long in a freezing dinning room. To do a computer test by typing up a word document, basic excel and creating a power point slide. Waste of time!

Interview Question – 1. Analyzing their quarterly balance sheet and talk about as many things as possible.
2. Benefit of a credit unions compared to banks
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied the last week of April, got an email and a call for an online video interview a few days later. I got a call about three weeks later from AA asking if I would be interested in flying out to DFW for a face - to - face interview. They covered the flight, but I had to pay for a hotel in TX after the interview because they could not get me back out that day. Everyone was very friendly and really helped put me at ease. There were about seven people total who interviewed my group of about 25. All of the interviewees were very friendly also. We broke off just to groups of about five and did an activity where we drew a circle and wrote three things we had in common and then each drew a line outside the circle and wrote one thing unique about ourselves. Then we sp lo it off into different groups again and did group interviews. The questions were things like "define good customer service," "what would you look for in hiring a flight attendant" "who would you choose to have dinner with if it could be anyone in the world" and "

Interview Question – "What's your favorite corporate brand and why?" I was not expecting this and I'm sure I absolutely blew it. All of the other questions related to flight or preparation for the position, so this one caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Ok so I was flown out to dallas international airport Yesterday which was June 17'th for a group interview. Upon arrival to the airport I went to the shuttle area as per the instructions in the email. We took a van with the name arias on it to the "AA" training camp which is about 10 minutes away from the airport. We first went into a room where you are required to fill out a form with basic information and then you give your passport to the host of the interview. They hold on to it till the end of the day. After everyone completes their forms then you move to a larger room where you sit in groups of 5 or 6. There will be roughly 32 of you. In this room you do fun activities to introduce yourself and get to know others around you. Standing in the back of the room is a panel of people. They are there taking notes about every individual. After about an hour of group activities the panel of people returns to the room and each one of them calls either 5 or 6 individuals with them to go for group interviews. You go to your own room. In this room another person is waiting. They are there to assist the original interviewer in taking notes. For the first question they will pick which individuals will answer first then you will answer working your way through the line. If you end up being last don't feel like you have ran out of answers simply act like nobody else was there and speak from your heart. They want to hear the truth not a script. Next they will ask one question and then who ever is ready to answer will stand up and give their answer. The last question requires you to think on your feet. Each person is given a card upside down with a question and a number you are not allowed to peek at your card. When you feel ready you stand up, turn your card over, read the question and answer the question within 30 seconds. Just answer truthfully and everything will be fine. After all the questions you will return to the group area where you will wait for your name to be called into another room. Not everyone gets to go to the other room. For some this is the bed of the road. In the next room they call you one on one to go and get fingerprints taken and after that you go and do a one on one interview. The questions they ask for the one on one are standard questions and when you are done you are told that you will be given an answer within 2 weeks. This morning I woke up and checked my email and couldn't believe that I had already received an email saying that once my fingerprints and background are clear that I can be scheduled for a physical and upon completion of my physical I will be scheduled for the 7 weeks of training. The process was definitely Intense but everyone was so nice and professional. It was one of the best interviews I have ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and what you are currently doing and if you were to be the one interviewing people what would you be looking for.   Answer Question
  • What was your proudest moment   Answer Question
  • If you were to just meet someone what would you think their first reaction of you would be.   Answer Question
  • There were many other questions that were asked but this is just an idea of some of the things to expect. Good luck.   Answer Question

Software Consultant Interview

Software Consultant
Dallas, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 4 person all in the same room. The interview last for more than an hour. They asked me to solve the code problem in 30 min with writing tests. If I would have read the "Head first design Patterns" I would have solved that easily .
Mostly questions was asked by the Architect level person rest of the people didn't ask anything. The Architect asked me so many questions on design patterns, JSTL, JSP, Spring - framework, JMS, Core Java, collections. Most of the questions were theoritical and if you would have read books you could pretty much answer most of them.

Interview Question – Coding exercise to complete in 30 min.Which was funny.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Flight Attendant - Japanese Speaking Interview

Flight Attendant - Japanese Speaking
DFW, TX

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online on Wed and received an email on Friday requesting me to complete online interview via cam. I also left a voice message from HR to let me know the email was coming asking to do the interview online.

Interview Question – The questions we quite easy.
1) What do you know about AA and culture
2) What type of customer service background do you have that will benefit AA
3) Name a time when you gave excellent customer service
4) name a time when you went above and beyond that benefited your team
5) what qualities do you have that makes you great at customer service
6) what excites you about moving to a different city immediately after training.
You are given 1 minute to think about your answer before you are video recorded. You have up to 3 minutes response time.
  View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an invitation for a per-interview online about a week later. This interview consisted of filming my answers which were timed. A few days later I received a phone call asking me to attend an interview in Texas. My flight was covered, but I had to pay for my hotel. The interview process lasted half a day. We were broken up into groups for questioning, then different groups for exercises they deemed appropriate. Afterward, we were told more about the company and position. Lastly, they called us out one by one and we were either escorted out of the building or taken to a room for a one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – What is the nicest thing you have done for someone recently?   Answer Question

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

American Airlines Flight Attendant
Dallas, TX

I interviewed at American Airlines in June 2011.

Interview Details – I first applied online on January 21st, 2014. Recieved an email Feb. 11th inviting me to the video interview. Completed the video interview. You can find the exact questions by searching on this forum. There are 6 questions, It is automated and you have 3 minutes to record each question. On Feb. 24th I was sent an email inviting me to update my application online. On Feb. 28th I recieved an email stating there was overwhelming interest in the position and that I would receive a response in the following months. I didn't hear anything again until May 13,2014 stating again that there was overwhelming interest and thanking me for my patience. On May 21st I received an email congratulating me on being picked for the Face to Face interview. I spoke to a recruiter who set up an interview time for me and sent me an email with my flight itinerary provided by American Airlines a couple days later. My interview was set up for June 5, 2014. As people have explained when you arrive to the conference center you check in you are greeted and escorted into a waiting room (in my room there were about 30 individuals total and we just waited). Once everyone was checked in we were escorted into a room with 5 tables with 5 chairs at each table. People were free to choose their seats. There are 5 recruiters standing in the back of the room they introduce themselves and start taking notes on everything you do. We began with an icebreaker where each table was instructed to do the "Who's Who" game. You draw a big circle on a large piece of paper, you along with your team members are instructed to together find out three things you have in common with each other and write them in the circle, then on the outside of the circle each person writes something unique about themselves that nobody would ever guess by looking at them. After each group goes up and presents the things they have in common the rest of the room tries to guess what unique quality applies to what person. It was fun. Make sure to SMILE A LOT. Work with your team, be yourself and over everything be friendly and attentive. Word of advice, ladies wear your hair in a ponytail or bun. Pencil skirt, blouse, nude hose and appropriate high heels. Trust me! After the group excercise each of the recruiters selected 5 individuals and took them to separate rooms. You will sit in a row of five chairs with 2 recruiters in front of you. If you sit in the first seat closest to the door you will be chosen to answer questions first so be prepared. They ask different questions during the group interview and each person has a chance to answer. Some examples

1. What was your greatest accomplishment in your job?
2. What does customer service mean to you?
3. How do you provide exceptional service?
4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?

Then each person is given a blue notecard with a question on the back. You cannot look at the question. They ask you to stand up one by one flip over your card and answer your question in less than 30 seconds. I don't remember my question now; I was so nervous. But they ask things like, if you could have dinner with any person in the world who would it be and why?

Word of advice just think of influential people you look up to. And think about times during work that you have gone above and beyond for a customer.

Once the group interview is complete you are taken back to the initial room with your group to watch a slides how explaining the benefits of being a flight attendant with American Airlines. After the recruiters come in and start calling people for one on one interviews. I was the 5th person called. Was taken to a room with ten others to fill out a fingerprint authorization form. I was fingerprinted, did a reach test and was talked to one on one by one of the recruiters who asked me a few questions.

1. Do you have any tattoos or piercings that are visible?
2. Are you ok with wearing a uniform?
3. What other language a do you speak? (I applied as a bilingual attendant)
4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
5. What was your proudest moment in your current position?
6. Are you willing to relocate?

I do not know what happened with the other 20 people that were part of the entire group is only saw 10 of us be fingerprinted and interviewed. We were each told we would receive an email within 2 weeks stating if we got the job. I just interviewed and am waiting on an email. Hopefully I will get an offer :)

Sorry for the long explanation. Hope this helps

Interview Question – What was your proudest moment?   Answer Question

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

American Airlines Flight Attendant
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiters were down to earth and very nice. They made it a fun day which made the time fly quickly. They open with an ice breaker then pull you into smaller groups to do a quick panel style interview.

Interview Question – They were all fairly easy questions... make it a short and to the point answer, don't ramble on forever.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines interview questions and advice in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX. All 171 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Airlines employees and interview candidates.