American Airlines

Updated Nov 12, 2014

2.9

188 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

1 - Applied.
    2 - Was given the personality test.
    3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
    4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
    - Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
    - Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
    - Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
    Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
    - Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
    - Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
    5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
    6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
    7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
    - You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
    - Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
    - S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
    - S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
    - S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
    - S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
    - 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
    8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
    9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
    - Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
    - Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
    - Q2: Do you work for AA?
    - Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
    - Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
    - Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
    10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
    11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
    12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
    13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
    - Fill out forms.
    - 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
    - Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
    - You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
    - Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
    - Take your height/weight.
    - Go over medical history with you.
    - They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
    - They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
    - Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
    14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

German Speaker Fligh Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in November 2014.

Applied online during July, completed the video interview and received invitation to a f2f for November. At the f2f we were 15 candidates, we completed a group task, watched a movie about AA, then proceeded to an interview 5 at a time with two interviewers. We were asked one question each in order, and then drew cards with an additional question.

FA Interview for American Airlines Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

All i have to say about the Interview for American Airlines in Dallas, is do NOT think you got the job if you had your fingerprinted, reach test or 1-0n-1. I completed all three in Dallas and didnt get the job. I literally cried the whole day thinking what did i do wrong? Please dont get your hopes up until you get the email stating you were offered the job.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines.

They will post a position on aa.com or internal career system. You applied for the job. They invite you for interview if you are selected. You go for the first interview and if they are interested in you further they call you for a second interview. If you make it then they offer you the position and the pay. You have a chance to negotiate for pay at that time if you are not satisfied with the first offer.

Interview Questions
    • Simple questions and mostly generic for the field. It is mostly scenarion question.   Answer Question
    Nogotiate for salary was bureacratic. Someone has to talk to someone higer to get a feedback in days, weeks, or months. I

Flight Attendant for English and Korean Bilingual Postion Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

Apply on online around june. Got email that going to have video interview after week. Video Interview was simple just wear cloth nicely like flight attendant. Qestion was what i expected why do you want to be flight attendant, what do you think of social media, and tell me you have had great customer service. I thought i did aweful job couse i couldnt get email back for almost 2month. But i got call from AA to scedule my f2f interview. They send me flight ticket and here i go had interview oct 2014. As soon as i got there there was table for candidate. You will wait for few min and they are going to give you paper to fill out. In the paper question was what will you do when you have ceo of american airline for customer. While you are writing the question group task will start. After group task randomly they pick people and bring to another room for interview. I had 6people in my group in the room and they ask question one by one and ask to introduce ur self and 3~4different question. After finished question you will move to original room to watching aa video. As soon as watched video they call you one by one. Somepeople make it to finger print and arm reach test, somepeople escorted to out of center. I made fingerprint, arm reach test, one to one interview. I was waiting for next step and 6days later I got email that i have not selected.
    I have read people's experience from this web site and never seen review that made figerprint , one to one interview and got email that not selected . I called AA and they just gave me email address that I can send. I'm kind of confused. Wish it just computer error. Hope nobody going to have disappoint experience like me...

Interview Questions
    • What kind service would you do for ceo of American airline?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the company that have great customer service   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

You deal with another company first that screen applicants. If you make it through that process, you talk to American itself. If you are lucky, you are flown to Dallas for an interview in person. American is a great company in that they interview all ages and they give you immediate feedback (right after the group interview) in stark contrast to many employers.

Interview Questions
    • Your most recent posting on social media   View Answer

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

I submitted my resume through campus recruiting and got a call a few weeks later asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes, included mostly behavioral questions and "walk me through your resume" and "what are you most proud of". The phone interview was followed by an email with a "test" with probability type questions and it had to be sent back within 30 minutes.

About a week later I got another call offering a second round interview at headquarters in Fort Worth. They scheduled me to fly out early in the morning and land at DFW by 8am where I was met by a host for the day who picked me up and brought me to the office. After getting visitors' badges, several other candidates and I had a brief meeting with a manager about the RM department, then we each had 3 back-to-back 45 minute interviews with different people. After all of the candidates finished their interviews, AA hosted a lunch for us at a Mexican restaurant with all of the hosts and a few managers. I was on a flight back home by 3pm. Other candidates from out of state were put up in hotels for the night before and also flew home after the lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Prioritize these five situations according to which one you would want to deal with as soon as possible to the ones that could be dealt with later.
      a. Southwest offers 10% discount on all fares.
      b. United launches new route from Salt Lake City to *some city* in Montana.
      c. AirTran lowers fares for college students traveling to Florida in March.
      d. You're giving a presentation to your VP in 1 hour and haven't started preparing.
      e. United, AirTran, and Southwest all increase prices on fares for 3 different routes that AA also flies.
        View Answers (2)
    I wasn't able to negotiate during my verbal acceptance. I asked if the salary was flexible and the hiring manager said that "HR gives us this number to offer candidates". Former employee also told me that the pay structure was firm. Might try to negotiate again when signing written offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

Everything in the process is the same as described. Everyone was friendly and laid back. I succeed and was taking for fingerprinting and they told me I'll hear from them. A week later they said I funny qualify. No further explication and nothing else. Disappointed!

Interview Questions
    • What would be the hardest and being a flight attendant.   Answer Question

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

First interview went well, it consisted of a 30 min test (basic probability) and a 30 min behavioral interview. They just asked basic questions, about why I wanted to work for the company and just went over my resume. Second interview is in the headquarters in Fort Worth tomorrow.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines.

The interview process may take some time to pass through every initial part. It took about 6 months for me. I suppose it is determined by need. Apply on the career section of AA website to get started. Keep in mind being a speaker of a language outside of English alone will farther you in the process much more quickly than those who do not. Another key element in the initial personality and general questions that are screened before inviting you for an online interview, is to be as 'flexible' and 'available' as the company is asking you up be. So would you relocate? "Yes of course" Are you available to work any time of day any day of the week including holidays? "It would be my pleasure" etc.. etc...

Interview Questions
    • The other glass door reviews for FA have been very specific and right on the money.
      Key ideas and subject areas to speak on intelligently :
      How you specifically were a valuable team leader and customer service specialist in your last work place. Give an example of something extra ordinary you did. ( have examples on the ready; made up or otherwise)
      How does social media impact a brand like AA and what are your feelings on social media?
      Why do you want to be a FA? Do not say I love to travel;)
        Answer Question
    • Remember at the F2F to be genuine and smart/clever but careful not to be too eager. It's really a crap shoot. Yet, I will say speaking up about non pay during training, or concerns about not seeing family during those 2 months raises red flags to those who are observing you from the company.   Answer Question
    • Dress as every post/ video blog site is recommending. AA is known to be more conservative in terms of appearance. So tone sexiness down. How ever, people naturally judge us on looks first, so make a point to look sharp, well groomed, and current, with out looking risqué. When you know you look good, your natural, charming personify will come through with the confidence needed to be in a room with 25 other competitors ( I mean friends ;)   Answer Question
    Standard union pay 21.70 per flight hour plus per diem. Average 80 hours month. Also plan on budgeting your uniform cost out of first few months pay.