American Airlines

Relevance Date Difficulty

Flight Attendant - Japanese Speaking Interview

Flight Attendant - Japanese Speaking
DFW, TX

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online on Wed and received an email on Friday requesting me to complete online interview via cam. I also left a voice message from HR to let me know the email was coming asking to do the interview online.

Interview Question – The questions we quite easy.
1) What do you know about AA and culture
2) What type of customer service background do you have that will benefit AA
3) Name a time when you gave excellent customer service
4) name a time when you went above and beyond that benefited your team
5) what qualities do you have that makes you great at customer service
6) what excites you about moving to a different city immediately after training.
You are given 1 minute to think about your answer before you are video recorded. You have up to 3 minutes response time.
  View Answer

Dallas, TX

I interviewed at American Airlines in June 2011.

Interview Details – I first applied online on January 21st, 2014. Recieved an email Feb. 11th inviting me to the video interview. Completed the video interview. You can find the exact questions by searching on this forum. There are 6 questions, It is automated and you have 3 minutes to record each question. On Feb. 24th I was sent an email inviting me to update my application online. On Feb. 28th I recieved an email stating there was overwhelming interest in the position and that I would receive a response in the following months. I didn't hear anything again until May 13,2014 stating again that there was overwhelming interest and thanking me for my patience. On May 21st I received an email congratulating me on being picked for the Face to Face interview. I spoke to a recruiter who set up an interview time for me and sent me an email with my flight itinerary provided by American Airlines a couple days later. My interview was set up for June 5, 2014. As people have explained when you arrive to the conference center you check in you are greeted and escorted into a waiting room (in my room there were about 30 individuals total and we just waited). Once everyone was checked in we were escorted into a room with 5 tables with 5 chairs at each table. People were free to choose their seats. There are 5 recruiters standing in the back of the room they introduce themselves and start taking notes on everything you do. We began with an icebreaker where each table was instructed to do the "Who's Who" game. You draw a big circle on a large piece of paper, you along with your team members are instructed to together find out three things you have in common with each other and write them in the circle, then on the outside of the circle each person writes something unique about themselves that nobody would ever guess by looking at them. After each group goes up and presents the things they have in common the rest of the room tries to guess what unique quality applies to what person. It was fun. Make sure to SMILE A LOT. Work with your team, be yourself and over everything be friendly and attentive. Word of advice, ladies wear your hair in a ponytail or bun. Pencil skirt, blouse, nude hose and appropriate high heels. Trust me! After the group excercise each of the recruiters selected 5 individuals and took them to separate rooms. You will sit in a row of five chairs with 2 recruiters in front of you. If you sit in the first seat closest to the door you will be chosen to answer questions first so be prepared. They ask different questions during the group interview and each person has a chance to answer. Some examples

1. What was your greatest accomplishment in your job?
2. What does customer service mean to you?
3. How do you provide exceptional service?
4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?

Then each person is given a blue notecard with a question on the back. You cannot look at the question. They ask you to stand up one by one flip over your card and answer your question in less than 30 seconds. I don't remember my question now; I was so nervous. But they ask things like, if you could have dinner with any person in the world who would it be and why?

Word of advice just think of influential people you look up to. And think about times during work that you have gone above and beyond for a customer.

Once the group interview is complete you are taken back to the initial room with your group to watch a slides how explaining the benefits of being a flight attendant with American Airlines. After the recruiters come in and start calling people for one on one interviews. I was the 5th person called. Was taken to a room with ten others to fill out a fingerprint authorization form. I was fingerprinted, did a reach test and was talked to one on one by one of the recruiters who asked me a few questions.

1. Do you have any tattoos or piercings that are visible?
2. Are you ok with wearing a uniform?
3. What other language a do you speak? (I applied as a bilingual attendant)
4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
5. What was your proudest moment in your current position?
6. Are you willing to relocate?

I do not know what happened with the other 20 people that were part of the entire group is only saw 10 of us be fingerprinted and interviewed. We were each told we would receive an email within 2 weeks stating if we got the job. I just interviewed and am waiting on an email. Hopefully I will get an offer :)

Sorry for the long explanation. Hope this helps

Interview Question – What was your proudest moment?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an invitation for a per-interview online about a week later. This interview consisted of filming my answers which were timed. A few days later I received a phone call asking me to attend an interview in Texas. My flight was covered, but I had to pay for my hotel. The interview process lasted half a day. We were broken up into groups for questioning, then different groups for exercises they deemed appropriate. Afterward, we were told more about the company and position. Lastly, they called us out one by one and we were either escorted out of the building or taken to a room for a one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – What is the nicest thing you have done for someone recently?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiters were down to earth and very nice. They made it a fun day which made the time fly quickly. They open with an ice breaker then pull you into smaller groups to do a quick panel style interview.

Interview Question – They were all fairly easy questions... make it a short and to the point answer, don't ramble on forever.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process was similar to what all the other previous candidates had posted. Applied online, received email, completed personality test online, completed video interview online, attended interview in Dallas, Texas. Group interview then if successful 1:1 interview and fingerprint before leaving Dallas

Interview Question – All the questions were shared by previous candidates on this site.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – Process has been about 2 months.
1. Paper Application.
2. Call to do video interview. Very simple. Just a few questions. A tad awkward as it's automated. So you're just rambling at a screen. Behavior questions. Let your personality shine. It's not what you say, it's his you say it.
3. Invitation for f2f, a month from invitation date.
4. arrived in dallas, ice breaker, group interview, one on one, and then fingerprinting if they like ya.

Everyone was dressed nicely, but bland. I have a little more spunk and I think that helped me stand out from the vast of sea of average Joe black, blue, and gray skirt suits. (Still, I was dressed conservatively) I was first to answer questions and was my groups spoke person for the ice breakers. Don't be too confident!! They don't want cocky people.. At all. They want people to be nervous. They want to know how excited and honored you are to be there. I noticed that the people who showed how excited they were and that they were a tad intimidated were invited to finger printing. So let your voice and knees shake a little. Lol! Smile till your cheeks burn. Talk to everyone you can. Ask where people are from. Exchange numbers. Try to make little jokes, but do not hog the spotlight . I won't lie, the whole process was very intimidating. But I was offered a position. (: Smile!!

Interview Question – Mostly behavior questions. How would you handle this? How would you describe yourself? (Don't get cocky!!) One word or phrase to describe customer service... Easy questions. Nothing crazy.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

DFW, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – Day 0 - Submitted application online

Day 5 - Received an invitation for video interview. This is an automated online interview consists of several questions and your response is recorded through your webcam.

Day 7 - Completed video interview.

Day 11- Received an email indicating "overwhelming" interest based on the video interview. But due to the large number of applicants I was advised to be patient and expect to hear from AA in the "coming months".

Day 15 - Received an invitation for on site interview. I guess I don't have to wait for months after all. And they wanted me to go the next day! Due to prior commitments I had to schedule the interview for the following week.

Day 22 10am - Arrived at AA Training and Conference Center in Ft Worth for the interview.

Interviews are usually conducted Tuesdays through Thursdays twice a day in groups of 25. In my group there were 20 women and 5 men of various age, size, and ethnicity, and several of them have language skills. Only 2 were local and the rest came from all over the country. The facilitators/evaluators were all senior FA's with 30+ years of experience. They were just as excited as the candidates because this is the first time AA has hired FA's since 9/11 and we could represent the next generation of FA's at the new AA.

To put things in perspective, there were over 100k applicants and AA has hired about 2,000 new FA's to date (starting last year). They told us we should be proud of ourselves for making it to the interview. This got everyone all pumped up!

We broke into groups of 5's to start the first exercise, which mainly deals with learning about each other and then present to the other groups. It forces you to remember names, faces, and some details about each person, and think on your feet.

Then the facilitators went through a presentation about AA, FA job requirements, and the training process. After that we were divided into 4 groups for the group interview. There were two interviewers for each group. First, each person in the group had to answer the same question. Then each person draws a random question and had to answer on the spot.

After the group interview then it's time for individual interviews, then a "reach" test (to make sure you can reach the overhead bin), and finger printing. The entire process took 4 hours.

Day 25 - Received an email to submit background check. Looks like I made it!!

Day 28 - Submitted background check.

Day 30 - Received offer letter!

Day 32 - Accepted offer

Day 38 - Foreign language assessment test

Day 42 - Medical and physical ability test

Day 45 - Schedule flight attendant training

Interview Question – Who is your favorite superhero and why.
Describe one of your life experiences that prepared you to be a flight attendant.
  Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – It took me all 5 months to get to my F2F interview. Up to now i can't believe the F2F process would be that silly and all they are interested is if they like you or not... They aren't really interested in your professional way of being, not even very much focused if you do look well groomed... The 5 ones they had picked in my group were the least well dressed, but the 5 ones very off and plain people who they can easily brain wash...

Interview Question – Silly Silly Silly... Upon the group dynamic they already have in mind the ones they had liked the most.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied around Nov 2013.
I passed all the steps as mentioned above by other candidates. This was the second time I applied for this company. I also speak fluently a second language and I was applying for specific language position FA.
It took about 8 weeks for the entire process (excluding the face to face interview) . Once I passed the video interview I got the f2f one, at that point it was early April 2014.
The experience was positive because I learned what type of personality the airlines is looking for. I made a lot of mistakes during the interview. It was totally my fault. I wasn't nervous and this was certainly a factor of exclusion since I was not offered the job. Overconfidence will be punished. I was quickly sent a rejection note via email within 36 hrs.
I will not re-write up the steps of the above candidates because of redundancy.

SUGGESTION …...If you want to pass the process you must come through and genuinely as a likeble person to the interviewers. These people are flight attendants who are looking at you working with them. If they do not like you at first sight and for additional reasons they will not select you. This is a customer service position, thus they want to select you from a point of view of a customer.

The interviewers and trainers are all super nice and they try to make you comfortable and loose. They will tell you things like "be yourself". You need to watch out with these statements, because if being yourself is going to project parts of your personalities that are considered unsuited for the job it will only hurt you.
You can be great at customer service but the people interviewing you are not going to dig or give you chances or spend time to get to know you.
Watch out for voice projection, sound, and delivery of your answers as well as mannerism, or any side of your personality that is too timid or too domineering (I am in the latter category).
Do not ask questions that can place the interviewers out of the comfort zone, (something I done as well).
Be a submissive leader. This sounds like an oxymoron but it is exactly what the airlines is looking for.

Good luck.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – This is an update- I just wanted to share my face to face interview experience because I learned so much from this website prior to my f2f! :)

It was just as everyone has described it- fun, friendly, relaxing, and just an overall great experience.
We started out in a room where they collect passports and everyone is mingling and filling out a quick little writing response- " The CEO of AA is on your flight and in your section- number each of the following five sentences in order of importance to you and then underneath list your reason for whatever question you marked as Number 1."
Next they take you all into a room where there is 25-30 applicants and 5-6 AA employees. They all introduce themselves, tell you where they are based and how long they have worked for AA.
Then we watch a little video on what AA is all about and who they are partnered with, following that we play the Who's Who game which was a great fun little ice breaker.
I'm going to skip the description and jump to the interview, because what questions to expect are what we are all looking for on here.

Question one- In order from left to right Introduce yourself and then tell us what quality you would look for in a flight attendant if you were on the hiring side.

Question two- Anyone can answer in whatever order- What are you most proud of at your current job or previous job- an accomplishment or an experience you had with a customer. (a girl asked a question, stopped speaking, so I volunteered to go first)

Question three- Pick from a deck of cards, don't look at the question until you are standing in front of the room- any order will do- (I went 2nd) My question was If you could have dinner with anyone in the world who would it be and why.

Question four- to all of us, in any order- Why is excellent customer service important to you and what would it entail. (I think I answered 3rd to be polite).

I think that covers the group interview which included 5 applicants and 2 interviewers.

They take us back to the room and then you watch a video on benefits, training, and lots lots more. Afterwards you're given the opportunity to ask any questions you have. Then they open the door and the recruiters come and get you one by one. I've heard they take some people straight to the shuttle waiting area and others they take for a 1on1 interview. I was taken to a 1on1 interview!

First question- tell me about yourself.

Second question- if you had a brand, unique to you, what would that brand be and why?

Third question- Tell me about a time you had excellent customer service.

Fourth question- do you have any tattoos? - Which I do and I answered honestly and agreed 100% that I was willing to do whatever it took to make sure the tattoo would never show.

She asked if I had any questions- then took me to fill out two pieces of paper, get finger printed, and make sure I could reach inside the overhead bin.

I then went to the shuttle, flew home, and the next morning I received an email about making it to the next round!! :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! Stay relaxed as possible- don't have coffee that morning- it will just make your heart race, have some tea! BREATHE! and be you! L:)

Interview Question – If you had a brand, unique to you, what would that brand be and why?   View Answers (4)

Negotiation Details – No quite an offer yet but once my background check clears and I pass my physical (which shouldn't be a problem) I'll gladly accept!! :)