American Airlines

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at American Airlines

Interview Details – Round 1. Phone screening. A couple of why AA+mini cases questions. Round 2. A situational caculating case using excel
Round 3. On site interviews

Interview Question – Decribe the subcrime debt crisis to a 13 year-old kid.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Contacted me via email saying they wanted to interview me. Interviews are 30 min. long. started with basic questions about your eligibility to work in the U.S etc. Then the interviewer explained more in depth the position I was interviewing for, Later he asked more technical questions. You should really study the company. interviewer was nice and easy to talk to

Interview Question – What is the difference between capital lease and operating lease   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in December 2009.

Interview Details – At least 3 rounds. 1st round is behavioral. It's a typical 1st round questions asking your strengths / weaknesses, your background, etc. There were some ethical type questions such as what would you do if your partner cheated. What you notify someone? There were some analytical questions. 2nd round consisted of an hour long modeling exam. You have to model a potential investment and give your recommendation about it.

Interview Question – If you and your teammate made a presentation and he did something that was wrong. The superiors loved the presentation. What would you do? Would you bring up the mistake or let it go?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines in October 2011.

Interview Details – It was a phone interview rather than an on campus interview. I thought that was odd especially considering the fact that this company is an airline and travel is cheap. Whatever. The phone interview consisted of questions about my background, my leadership experience, my data analysis experience, my finance experience.

I am a career switcher so I also had questions about "why finance", "why the airline industry"

There were also some short case questions.

I was a little surprised at how tough my interviewer was, considering AA's recent financial record. Most MBAs are wary of joining a company with such a poor performance.

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in October 2011.

Interview Details – I got the interview through my university's career center and it consisted of a 30 minute 1:1 interview with a Senior Financial Analyst. The interview started of with basic resume questions (walk me through your resume, what was your favorite class, etc.) The next questions were about the airline industry. You really need to know a lot about the airline industry - not only American Airlines' information, but also its competitors. Just to clarify, I interviewed and no do not if I received an offer yet or not. I haven't heard back from them at this point since its only been a few days since I interviewed.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines in September 2009.

Interview Details – The initial interview consists of behavioral and business case questions. They ask you to run down the resume and question about your summer experience. Other common questions were - why do you want to join American, why aviation industry. Behavioral questions include instances of challenging situations, team work and leadership. The interview also includes small business case questions.

Interview Question – What is the probability of throwing 11 and over with 2 dices   View Answers (10)

Financial Analyst

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Applied online, telephone interview a couple of weeks later. I was then contacted to schedule an in-person interview at headquarters. The in-person interview was about 2 hours with several different people asking behavioral and situational questions. About 2 weeks later, I was sent a case problem to complete and email back. Sometime later, a departmental head contacted me to come in for another in-person interview.

Interview Question – Please tell us a story   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2012.

Interview Details – Get to know the industry knowledge is extremely important and they like it. Also has to prepare for some basic behaviour questions, dont neglect it. Second round is intense with 4*30mins and a half hour test.

Interview Question – what are the difficult things you have encountered   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines in September 2010.

Interview Details – It was a phone interview in the beginning and the interviewer asked me to walk him through my revenue

Interview Questions

• What finance knowledge/ skills have you used in your professional life or on projects that you learnt from business school.   Answer Question
  • how has finance prepared you for this position.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interviewer seemed distracted and uninterested in conducting the interview.
I was asked a couple of case interview type questions that were pretty easy and one statistics question that was also simple.

Interview Question – You are running a rental car unit - how do you determine whether to buy or lease a car?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines Financial Analyst interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Airlines employees and interview candidates.