American Airlines

Average Difficulty
176 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1 - Applied.
2 - Was given the personality test.
3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
- Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
- Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
- Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
- Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
- Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
- You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
- Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
- S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
- S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
- S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
- S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
- 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
- Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
- Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
- Q2: Do you work for AA?
- Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
- Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
- Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
- Fill out forms.
- 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
- Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
- You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
- Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
- Take your height/weight.
- Go over medical history with you.
- They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
- They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
- Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Ok so I was flown out to dallas international airport Yesterday which was June 17'th for a group interview. Upon arrival to the airport I went to the shuttle area as per the instructions in the email. We took a van with the name arias on it to the "AA" training camp which is about 10 minutes away from the airport. We first went into a room where you are required to fill out a form with basic information and then you give your passport to the host of the interview. They hold on to it till the end of the day. After everyone completes their forms then you move to a larger room where you sit in groups of 5 or 6. There will be roughly 32 of you. In this room you do fun activities to introduce yourself and get to know others around you. Standing in the back of the room is a panel of people. They are there taking notes about every individual. After about an hour of group activities the panel of people returns to the room and each one of them calls either 5 or 6 individuals with them to go for group interviews. You go to your own room. In this room another person is waiting. They are there to assist the original interviewer in taking notes. For the first question they will pick which individuals will answer first then you will answer working your way through the line. If you end up being last don't feel like you have ran out of answers simply act like nobody else was there and speak from your heart. They want to hear the truth not a script. Next they will ask one question and then who ever is ready to answer will stand up and give their answer. The last question requires you to think on your feet. Each person is given a card upside down with a question and a number you are not allowed to peek at your card. When you feel ready you stand up, turn your card over, read the question and answer the question within 30 seconds. Just answer truthfully and everything will be fine. After all the questions you will return to the group area where you will wait for your name to be called into another room. Not everyone gets to go to the other room. For some this is the bed of the road. In the next room they call you one on one to go and get fingerprints taken and after that you go and do a one on one interview. The questions they ask for the one on one are standard questions and when you are done you are told that you will be given an answer within 2 weeks. This morning I woke up and checked my email and couldn't believe that I had already received an email saying that once my fingerprints and background are clear that I can be scheduled for a physical and upon completion of my physical I will be scheduled for the 7 weeks of training. The process was definitely Intense but everyone was so nice and professional. It was one of the best interviews I have ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and what you are currently doing and if you were to be the one interviewing people what would you be looking for.   Answer Question
  • What was your proudest moment   Answer Question
  • If you were to just meet someone what would you think their first reaction of you would be.   Answer Question
  • There were many other questions that were asked but this is just an idea of some of the things to expect. Good luck.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied the last week of April, got an email and a call for an online video interview a few days later. I got a call about three weeks later from AA asking if I would be interested in flying out to DFW for a face - to - face interview. They covered the flight, but I had to pay for a hotel in TX after the interview because they could not get me back out that day. Everyone was very friendly and really helped put me at ease. There were about seven people total who interviewed my group of about 25. All of the interviewees were very friendly also. We broke off just to groups of about five and did an activity where we drew a circle and wrote three things we had in common and then each drew a line outside the circle and wrote one thing unique about ourselves. Then we sp lo it off into different groups again and did group interviews. The questions were things like "define good customer service," "what would you look for in hiring a flight attendant" "who would you choose to have dinner with if it could be anyone in the world" and "

Interview Question – "What's your favorite corporate brand and why?" I was not expecting this and I'm sure I absolutely blew it. All of the other questions related to flight or preparation for the position, so this one caught me off guard.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an invitation for a per-interview online about a week later. This interview consisted of filming my answers which were timed. A few days later I received a phone call asking me to attend an interview in Texas. My flight was covered, but I had to pay for my hotel. The interview process lasted half a day. We were broken up into groups for questioning, then different groups for exercises they deemed appropriate. Afterward, we were told more about the company and position. Lastly, they called us out one by one and we were either escorted out of the building or taken to a room for a one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – What is the nicest thing you have done for someone recently?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – I applied online in early March 2014, and received an email back within a week to do the webcam interview. I was really nervous, and thought I did pretty awful! I smiled a lot though, and 2 weeks later I got an email to update my information. About a week or so later I was called to do the face to face interview in Dallas. The face to face interview was scheduled for a month later (May 2014). Again, I was really nervous! The interview was a lot more relaxing than I expected though. The flight attendants that interviewed us were some of the friendliest people I've met, and they want you to be relaxed and to do your best. We started in a room where we had to feel out a paper, and there was a short question on the back. It was simple. Then we moved on to a group icebreaker. After that they paired us in groups of 5 for the group interview questions, I was too nervous to answer first but I always made sure not to be the last person to answer any questions! I was surprised that they didn't ask us more questions (I think they just asked us 5 or so), After that we watched a video about what being a flight attendant is like etc. Then one by one they called us out of the room to either walk us out or to another room to be finger printed. I was finger printed and then had a one on one interview. The one-on-one interview was again, pretty easy (this coming from someone that has not interviewed much, I'm only 20!). I just reassured them that I was ready to move to wherever I needed to, and that this is the career I want to have until I retire. Overall, it was a great experience and even if I wasn't offered the position, I would've benefited from this interview in the future.

Interview Question – Everyone else has pretty much gone over what the questions are like.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – You arrive in the morning and they tell you what you will be doing while you're there and that you will have a one-on-one interview at the end of the day. So at the end we were all sitting in a room waiting to be called. When they called me I started walking down the hallway with the 'interviewer' and she asked me if my information was still current (a strange question, since I just recently submitted this information), I answered yes and at that time we had arrived at the exit. The 'interviewer' told me they would be in touch and said goodbye and I was out the door wondering where the one-on-one interview was they had told us we would have!? I went to the shuttle bus and the others that were already there speculated if they would get hired or not. Of course we didn't. They got to look at you all day and if they're interested in you they will keep you there to further process your application. I don't have a problem not getting the job, especially from a company that has you take three days out of your life to travel to an application event, tells you in the morning you will have a one-on-one interview and then at the end of the day basically walks you out the door. From a global company I expect professionalism and integrity and not some infantile approach.

Interviewed at American Airlines

Interview Details – 1. Applied online in early May 2014.
 2. Received a quick response to move forward to the next step( personality test )
 3. Received an invitation to do a video interview three weeks later.
 I have completed the video interview and I am now waiting to hear back(F2F)

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a problem with a coworker. what happened? what was the outcome?
Describe a time when you handled difficult customer?
  Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process was similar to what all the other previous candidates had posted. Applied online, received email, completed personality test online, completed video interview online, attended interview in Dallas, Texas. Group interview then if successful 1:1 interview and fingerprint before leaving Dallas

Interview Question – All the questions were shared by previous candidates on this site.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – Process has been about 2 months.
1. Paper Application.
2. Call to do video interview. Very simple. Just a few questions. A tad awkward as it's automated. So you're just rambling at a screen. Behavior questions. Let your personality shine. It's not what you say, it's his you say it.
3. Invitation for f2f, a month from invitation date.
4. arrived in dallas, ice breaker, group interview, one on one, and then fingerprinting if they like ya.

Everyone was dressed nicely, but bland. I have a little more spunk and I think that helped me stand out from the vast of sea of average Joe black, blue, and gray skirt suits. (Still, I was dressed conservatively) I was first to answer questions and was my groups spoke person for the ice breakers. Don't be too confident!! They don't want cocky people.. At all. They want people to be nervous. They want to know how excited and honored you are to be there. I noticed that the people who showed how excited they were and that they were a tad intimidated were invited to finger printing. So let your voice and knees shake a little. Lol! Smile till your cheeks burn. Talk to everyone you can. Ask where people are from. Exchange numbers. Try to make little jokes, but do not hog the spotlight . I won't lie, the whole process was very intimidating. But I was offered a position. (: Smile!!

Interview Question – Mostly behavior questions. How would you handle this? How would you describe yourself? (Don't get cocky!!) One word or phrase to describe customer service... Easy questions. Nothing crazy.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – It took me all 5 months to get to my F2F interview. Up to now i can't believe the F2F process would be that silly and all they are interested is if they like you or not... They aren't really interested in your professional way of being, not even very much focused if you do look well groomed... The 5 ones they had picked in my group were the least well dressed, but the 5 ones very off and plain people who they can easily brain wash...

Interview Question – Silly Silly Silly... Upon the group dynamic they already have in mind the ones they had liked the most.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines Flight Attendant interview questions and advice. All 176 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Airlines employees and interview candidates.