American Airlines

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.8

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines.

I will have a face to face interview tomorrow on Jan.7.2015 so prepare for the question first. Looking for the adventure! It is a long process, I applied online on Oct.3.2014 and scheduled the face to face interview after 2 months. Just wait patiently!

Other Interview Reviews for American Airlines

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in January 2015.

I applied online in late December of 2014 and received an invitation to complete a video interview about a week later. I completed the video interview right after New Years.

I was contacted on the 9th of January for a F2F interview in Dallas.

I had interviewed at another airline (and was not selected), so I think I was a little less nervous now that I was a little more familiar with the interviewing process.

The interview process:
    -Arrived at the training center and was told to sit at a table of about 4 others. Then, I was instructed to fill out some type of exercise and take that, my 5-year employment history, and my passport to check-in.
    -We had a group interview where we played a "get to know each other" game
    -Moved onto the smaller group interview sessions (groups of 6) where we were asked general questions
    -Went back to main room where we watched a video and did Q&A
    -People were picked to "update application"...some of them were walked out and given their flight info and a handful were taken to be fingerprinted/fill out background check information/reach test/etc. I was one of those people.

My advice is to just be yourself, smile, and relax. There were a few candidates who talked too much and tried too hard to be the center of attention and they were not selected.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online 10/08. Received email for assessment test 2 weeks later. Received email for invite to video interview 11/20. Still waiting for a response as he process will take a long time due to excessive applicants. This is my 3rd attempt to get hired. I am currently a flight attendant and this is my first time actually getting past the assessment test.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines.

Step 1 - Online Application & Assessment
    ** background check and personality

Step 2 - Recorded Video/Web Cam Q & A
    ** 6 "STAR" formatted questions

Step 3 - Patiently Wait...
    ** 2 weeks - 5 months

Step 4 - On-sight interview scheduled (4 hrs)
    ** Passport Check, Welcome Video, Ice Breaker, Q & A, Group Interview (4-5 ?s)

Step 5 - Position/Training Overview

Step 6 - Patiently Wait

Interview Questions
    • Please share a time when you provided excellent customer service/ or went above and beyond.

Why do you want to be a flight attendant?

Answer Question
    N/A

Flight Attendant Interview

Put in my app October 6th...received email for video interview Oct 20th..now waiting on acceptance or rejection. Asked me 6 questions it appeared because of the questions that their focusing on customer service...ie explain a customer service experience I received...what made it memorable? Explain a difficult customer service experience..what was the outcome

Interview Questions
    • What does employee culture mean? Threw me off   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in November 2014.

The hiring process is a long one! I applied back in March of 2014 after about a week I received an email congratulating me and inviting me for a video interview. The video interview was fairly easy, 5 questions all dealing around customer service and how different situations were handled. After the video interview was submitted they informed me if I was a candidate they would send me an email informing me of a face to face interview. I was sent emails thanking me for my patience in August. In September I received another email thanking me for my patience and a few weeks later in October I was invited to Dallas, TX for a face to face interview. I flew out to Dallas in November and the interview consisted of a group activity. They wanted to see how you work with others and how you stand out yourself. You were then taken into a new group of about 5 for a group style interview. After the group interview there was a presentation about the company. They told the group (25-30ppl) that we would be asked further questions by the onlookers (current AA associates) If you were selected they finger print you and then you have a one on one interview. I was told if you were fingerprinted you got the job, this is NOT true! Not everyone who was invited for the face to face interview (they call it a recruitment day) is asked to be fingerprinted.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a lot if I had any questions, there was a lot of questions concerning the non-paid training period. You are told to save around $3,000 dollars to cover expenses while you are training.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Online interview: this interview is not with a real person, which feels a bit awkward. There are six total questions. You are given one minute to prepare after each question, then you must record your answer. Dress well, pull your hair back, smile a lot!

F2F: You are always being watched! You should dress like a flight attendant, but more importantly act like one. When you arrive, be friendly and chat with your fellow applicants (they're fun to talk to, anyway). You will do a group ice breaker which will force you to discuss similarities / differences between yourself and your fellow applicants and present the findings to the entire interview class. Follow directions and be courteous. This is followed by a group interview. Make sure you don't answer the question last when given the option. If you make it to the fingerprinting / 1-on-1 interview stage, congrats - you're probably going to get a job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

1 - Applied.
    2 - Was given the personality test.
    3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
    4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
    - Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
    - Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
    - Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
    Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
    - Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
    - Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
    5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
    6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
    7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
    - You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
    - Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
    - S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
    - S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
    - S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
    - S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
    - 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
    8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
    9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
    - Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
    - Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
    - Q2: Do you work for AA?
    - Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
    - Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
    - Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
    10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
    11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
    12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
    13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
    - Fill out forms.
    - 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
    - Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
    - You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
    - Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
    - Take your height/weight.
    - Go over medical history with you.
    - They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
    - They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
    - Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
    14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

You deal with another company first that screen applicants. If you make it through that process, you talk to American itself. If you are lucky, you are flown to Dallas for an interview in person. American is a great company in that they interview all ages and they give you immediate feedback (right after the group interview) in stark contrast to many employers.

Interview Questions
    • Your most recent posting on social media   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

Everything in the process is the same as described. Everyone was friendly and laid back. I succeed and was taking for fingerprinting and they told me I'll hear from them. A week later they said I funny qualify. No further explication and nothing else. Disappointed!

Interview Questions
    • What would be the hardest and being a flight attendant.   Answer Question