American Airlines

153 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Flight Attendant
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1 - Applied.
2 - Was given the personality test.
3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
- Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
- Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
- Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
- Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
- Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
- You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
- Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
- S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
- S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
- S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
- S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
- 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
- Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
- Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
- Q2: Do you work for AA?
- Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
- Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
- Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
- Fill out forms.
- 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
- Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
- You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
- Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
- Take your height/weight.
- Go over medical history with you.
- They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
- They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
- Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – Nov/2013 - Applied online
Nov/2013 - Personality Test online
Dec/2013 - Video interview online
Jan/2013 - Call to complete online application
Jan/2013 - Invitation for F2F interview in Dallas
Feb/2013 - Face to Face Interview, Dallas TX. Followed the advice on here, got fingerprinted.
Feb/2013 - Recieved DOT forms via email, faxed them back
Mar/2013 - 2.5 weeks passed, still waiting to hear back on DOT forms / Background check. Anyday now! =)

Interview Question – What are your thoughts on social media?

That one came a bit out of the blue in the panel interview. They passed out cards with questions on them then we took turns standing in front of the group and speaking on our topic or question. It seemed to be a test of extemporaneous speaking skill.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Terms negotiated by Flight Attendant Union. 21.26 per flight hour. 75 hour guarantee. $2.00 per diem. 8.5 weeks unpaid training. Room and board provided for training.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in late October on the American Airlines website. I received a pretty quick response for me to move forward to the next step which was a personality test and then video interview. I was not that confident in my webcam interview because you are looking at yourself when speaking. However, 3 days or so later I received an email inviting me to the head quarters for the assessment day interview. when I went I wore slacks, heels, and a blazer. When going in for the assessment interview, look sharp and professional. You will meet everyone in a room to sign in. Do not forget passport, and license along with anything else they say to bring. It is important to follow directions. After we sign in we are taken to a larger room and placed in groups. We did a group activity and introduced ourselves to everyone. The trainers are watching how you interact with everyone and how comfortable you are. I didn't notice them watching until someone mentioned that that is what they were doing. After the group activity, they take 5 to 6 people into separate rooms and have the group interview. I have never done a group interview but to my surprise I really felt comfortable and enjoyed it. You will be nervous but honestly, all you can do is be yourself. Think of your answers before you speak. They are taking notes during the interview and while you are talking. Benefits of a group interview is there are more people to make eye contact with. Believe in your answers and have confidence. After the group interview we all head back to the big room where the group activity took place and you watch a video. When that is done they will start taking you out one by one. I was taken to a room for a one on one and finger prints. Within the next week I received an email to fill out my back ground forms and dot paper work which I had three days to send those back. I sent those Nov. 14th. After that I did not hear anything back for months! I would email once a month to follow up on the process. Four months later I received my offer letter and appointment to take my medical exam. I think the wait took long due to the holidays and the new year. I took my medical exam about two weeks ago and I received an email that I cleared my exam and now I am waiting on the call that will tell me when I start my training! This hiring process is long and you need to have patience Do not quit your job until you have training dates set. Good luck to everyone!

Interview Question – Tell a time when you needed to take control of a situation.   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was filed my apply on early Jan, got email back the next week. I received a link for web interview . A week after, I got call for F2F. It was really fan, we were playing and talking the hole time.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – I applied online in March 2014. Received an invitation to do a video interview three weeks later. I have completed the video interview and I am now waiting to hear back. It has been two and a half weeks and I have not heard anything yet.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a problem with a coworker. what happened? what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – The application process was pretty painless. Actually a lot quicker and easier than other airlines I've applied with. Uploaded resume and cover letter. Took a personality assessment too. I think that is how they weed out some people. Received an email confirming they received my application. About 4 days later I got an email saying that I had advanced to the next step and they wanted me to do a video interview. Once you get that email, you'll have 5 days to complete it. They'll even send you a reminder email and call you if you haven't completed the interview yet. The video interview was A LOT easier than I had expected. Dress as if you are going to the interview face to face. Be professional, smile, and show your personality! They know within the first 30 seconds if you are someone they would like to meet. Make sure your background is clear of everything! You want them to be able to focus on your face when they watch it, so no noisy television, or distracting paintings behind you. I found a blank white wall for mine. The video interview is automated. You'll be able to do a "test" so you can check your sound and video feed, to make sure it's working fine. The automated interviewer will read you a question and then he'll repeat it. You have 60 seconds to think about your answer, and then it automatically starts recording. You'll have 3 minutes to answer. You do not need to fill up the entire 3 minutes. I think on average, mine were probably 1 minute 30 seconds long. There are 6 questions total. Examples; "Explain a time when you received excellent customer service". "Tell me what you think about living in a new city". "What qualities do you have, that will make you a good candidate for American Airlines". Just waiting for the next step, which is an email inviting you to update your application. After that, they call you for a face to face interview in Dallas.

Interview Question – "Tell me what you think about living in a new city."   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – So far the process has taken a little over three months. Flying out to do my F2F this Thursday. Praying!

Interview Question – I found the questions to be standard, common sense questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at American Airlines

Interview Details – I have just made it to the video interview and am waiting to hear. The previous reviews on here were very helpful!

Interview Question – Tell us about a difficult team experience? What made it challenging?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Thanks to everyone who post on this blog. The advise given is right on point. The video interview was intimidating at first. But after the first question I was able to relax. What helped me to get comfortable and stay focused, was the fact that I was dressed as if I was I face to face with the interviewer.

Interview Question – Non of the questions were particular difficult.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant
Dallas, TX

Interview Details – During my process I referenced this site often and found the other reviews to be very helpful. I'm going to share my own experience, and add a few answers to questions I had which WEREN'T answered here, because so many others were.

I applied probably around late November, early December, and on December 17th or so I received an e-mail to complete their online video interview. These questions are pretty basic customer service questions e.g. "What was the best customer service you ever received?" and "Would you be willing to relocate for the job?"

I didn't hear back until December 30th, but keep in mind the Holidays were in that time lapse, so it probably won't be as long for others. On the 30th I got an invitation to answer a few more questions and was told I was "moving forward" in the process. Now, I responded immediately, however, days later I still had not heard anything back.
On January 10th, a little less than two weeks later, I called them and asked to make sure I had done everything, etc. In response I was transferred over to someone who scheduled me for a face to face interview.
My number one emphasis here is going to be don't be afraid to call if it's been a while or if you have questions. Talent Services is really friendly and generally it'll work in your favor. Or it did for me anyhow.

I scheduled my group interview for early February but was not sure of any flight details. They WILL pay for your flight (obviously) and they will contact you with flight information, though it will likely be sort-of last minute, as they have to get you in those left over seats on your flight.

The group interview is exactly as others have described here:
First you get a sheet of paper where you fill out a bit of information and answer a pretty basic customer service question.
Second you go into another room and sit in groups of about five, then do a group activity where you are obviously being judged by your ability to work in a group. Just be friendly, outgoing and outspoken, but not overbearing, and have fun with it. I think what they want to see most is that you are comfortable listening as much as speaking and working with others, as opposed to how much of a leader you can be.
Next you have a group interview. In different groups (also of five) you will be interviewed by two people, once again they are pretty basic customer service questions, but some that are more to explore your personality than your customer service skills. My advice here is to make sure you're heard but do not speak over any other candidates, the more you get along with the others the more relaxed you will all be, and of course it'll make you all look good.
There is one exercise here where they give everyone individual questions on cards that they hand you face-down. This one is clearly for an individual response with no influence by the others. None of these questions are particularly hard (that I saw). Examples were "What experience in your life do you think has best prepared you for the Flight Attendant position?" and "Do you think Social Media has had a positive or negative influence on the world?" (I recommend tying this one back to business purposes and positive customer feedback).

After about five questions or so, we were all taken back to the previous room and given a presentation on the demands and benefits of the flight attendant job.

After about thirty minutes, employees begin entering and taking hopefuls one by one for "one on one" interviews. At this point, they generally know whether or not you'll be moving on and one of two things will happen:
1. You will be given a brief "one on one" where they ask basic questions, if they ask anything, then ask if you have any questions for them.
2. You are taken to an actual one on one with more questions about you and about the job either before or after you are fingerprinted and given a basic "reach test" to be sure you can perform basic job functions at certain heights.

From here everyone is sent back to the airport for their returning flights.

In some instances people heard back within a day, for me it was around 48 hours before I received DOT forms. They are a rather simple employment history/ background check form which you must complete and fax back to them within 3 days.

Less than a week later I received an e-mail with a conditional job offer inside. I accepted immediately and a day later received the e-mail to set up my medical tests. Those are going to be in just under a month.

Interview Question – None of the questions was particularly hard, at least not to the extent that I would still remember it as difficult.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines Flight Attendant interview questions and advice. All 153 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Airlines employees and interview candidates.