American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.8

185 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

1 - Applied.
2 - Was given the personality test.
3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
- Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
- Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
- Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
- Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
- Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
- You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
- Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
- S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
- S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
- S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
- S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
- 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
- Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
- Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
- Q2: Do you work for AA?
- Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
- Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
- Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
- Fill out forms.
- 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
- Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
- You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
- Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
- Take your height/weight.
- Go over medical history with you.
- They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
- They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
- Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

Other Interview Reviews for American Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Everything you read is true. I read reviews on here prior to my interview and everything was identical. Fly you to Dallas for group interview. It was 19 of us that day. It was about 3-4hrs long. Did provide refreshments. Once completing paperwork we did a few group activities. Break out in 2-4 people for a more intimate interview with 2 or 3 recruiters. The biggest thing for me is pulling a card and answer question on card but can't look at card until they say so and you have 30 secs to answer. Mines was really a random question. Then you go back in the group room while waiting for everyone else to finish. Upon everyone completing their interviews they start calling names. Once your name is called you gather all your belongs and follow the recruiter. If one of the first things they ask is about your flight, you DIDNT get the job (no matter what they say, you'll know BEFORE you leave). If the recruiter leads you into another room, stay calm you have made it to the next step, which is doing your fingerprints. I didn't make it to that point. I did wait until everyone was finished to leave (not my intentions, was waiting on hotel shuttle) && they hired 5 people from my group. 4 women and 1 man. 2 Asian, 2 African Americans and then the guy was Caucasian but was definitely apart of the LGBT family. Received an email within 2-3 days stating that I didn't get the job, even though i knew that prior to leaving Dallas. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • If the pilot turns on the seat belt sign and there is a passenger whom child is asleep on the floor, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I found the job openning online, then I did the online application, then got a phone call the next day from the company tell me I have a video interview need to do,the video interview should done in 5 days, after that, I got the other email let update my information. For so far, I already waiting for half month, didn't get any respond yet.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines.

I want to share my own painful experience here and hope nobody will have the same mistake like me again.
    I submitted my online application in May, got a telephone interview, and was schedule a f2f interview in July.

I saw someone recommend to fly in the night before the interview so you can have a night rest, so I did. They scheduled me a flight that arrived DFW at 11:30 pm, and my interview was in the next morning. However, when I arrived the airport at the late night, I found out that they lost my luggage, my interview materials, my make-ups and high heels were all in the luggage. Their luggage guy was very rude to me and said no one knows when my luggage will arrive. Sadly I went to my hotel without anything with me, it was 1am already, and thought that I couldn't make it to the interview tomorrow. I went to the airport in the early morning, and got my luggage, I changed my clothes and did make-ups and everything in the airport, and made it to the interview in the last minute.

The interview was exactly the same as what other people had shared here. At the end I got my fingerprinted, and later that day I got their email saying that I have advanced. I was so happy! I thought that I had passed the most difficult part, the f2f interview!! The week after they kept sending me different emails. I faxed my background check. And they emailed my CJO to read and sign, which made me think that I will get this job for sure.

I didn't have a job at that time, and the time I happened got a job offer from another airline company. AA told me my training date will probably starts in October, so I think it would be great if I work for another company first while waiting for AA's offer. However, AA schedule me a language test which happened on the same day as my first day at another company. I called both AA and the company asking if either of them could change the date, but no. And that company said that, if I couldn't make it to the first day at work, I will lose the job. I decided that AA is a better company to work for, so I declined that company's job offer to make it to AA's language test.

And I passed the language test, and was schedule a medical exam on 7/30. However, they canceled my my medical date last minute, and said that maybe will schedule me again by the end of August. Few days later another lady contacted me and asked if I am available to start the training on 8/18, if my medical is clear. I said I am available, but I haven't had the exam yet. So they scheduled me a medical exam few days after. I was so excited, because suddenly I will go to Dallas for training soon, and after training I will probably be based in Dallas! I met up with my friends and relatives here and said good-bye to them. And started to plan about moving, and thought about having a new life in Dallas.

I had my medical exam on 8/6. On 8/11, I got a "rescind offer" email saying that I didn't pass their medical exam. I was totally shocked. The email was very short, didn't explain anything, if you want to know additional information about why you didn't pass, you have to fax them a request, which I did shortly after the email. It's the third day now and I haven't gotten anything from them.

My medical exam was strangely short. I only spent 1.5 hours for exam. 30 minutes for blood pressure, heart rate and urine, and 40 mins for physical ability test. My medical exam was 2:30 pm and they scheduled me the flight at 5pm back home, so my test was hurry through and I literally ran to the airport to catch the flight.

I just can't believe that after going through so many procedures, spending so much time flying there and back, and they just turned me down with such a short email, and stop talking to me. I am very healthy and I am sure I am able to do those physical tasks onboard.

Before the interview, I had read lots of people's posts here, but I didn't see anybody say that they didn't pass the medical exam, so I didn't expect this tragedy happened to me. But I'm not the only one.
    From my awful experience, my suggestions are, don't believe that you are going to Dallas until you clear your medical (even though you think you are physically healthy!) And don't sacrifice other job opportunities for them, it doesn't worth it. I am very disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • I never thought that medical exam is the one that turns me down, and I even didn't know why I didn't pass it.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines.

Went through the process of filing out the application, the online interview, and speaking with someone on the phone. I scheduled my face to face interview and they never sent the information for flights, etc. I called numerous times and left voicemails. Poor hiring/interview process in my eyes.

Interview Questions
    • Normal questions. Why do you feel like this is a good position for you, etc. etc.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines.

All process contact by phone or email, very advanced. The interviewers are very nice and the process are enjoyable. Before i went to have interview i did a lot of research through glassdoor, not much to share cause i think currently has enough on the web to explain the process. The question are not new. Mostly can find here. It's very useful.

Salary not good

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in August 2014.

I applied online on Jul. 31, personality test was included. Next day on Aug. 1, I got an email invitation for a video interview. They sent a reminder on Aug. 3 to complete the interview within timeline. I just had that interview yesterday, that's Aug. 5. I had expected there might be an email telling me that I have completed the interview & they would let me know the result no matter what. But surprisingly, there is nothing after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Well, they are quit simply questions, e.g. What you know about AA? Why you want to work with AA?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

interviewed at American Airlines in July 2014.

I applied in may, got an email in July saying I was selected to interview and selected one if the listed day. They flew me to Dallas the day before - you have to fly in before although I did see that they add some exceptions to this, if you come the du before you pay for your accommodations. They have preselected hotels with group rates and they pick you up from the airport and drop you off at the interview location. When u get there they have everyone sit and fill out some paperwork. Our group was surprisingly small only about 10 people. We were all very social and by the end of the day exchanged numbers n emails so we were luck to be in our group - I saw a later group of about 30- after paperwork was complete we went to another room to hear a "presentation" which was pretty much information about the company pay and benefits.. After that, the same person conducted the interview, there were 3 questions we all answered and then we read a small flight attendant script. The questions were simple, what are u currently doing, what would u do to help a first time nervous flyer. After that we went to a room and waited for one in one interviews- they interview all of us, I don't know if they always do that, or if it was because our Group was so small, we did also gave great candidates though- during the one on one the interviewer asked about 6 questions, situation based. After I was able to ask questions. Then the recruiter said is be a good fit, I was finger printed and went to give pee the same day. In my group 7 of the 10 were selected

Nonnegotiable pay is 18 and change

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

After you fill out your online application, you are given an automated interview to be completed online--no interaction with any actual human beings, just a recited question and less than five minutes to get your answer together before you respond. Nor can you edit or redo your response if you misspeak or talk over yourself--you have one shot and that's it.

Interview Questions
    • They ask what you know about American Airlines as a company as well as the most memorable customer service experience you recently had.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in October 2013.

You will have a welcome talk and they will tell you alitte about the company. There are group ativites as well as group interviews. If you made it passed this stage you will be given a one on one intrview.

Interview Questions

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!