American Airlines

Average Difficulty
183 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1 - Applied.
2 - Was given the personality test.
3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
- Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
- Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
- Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
- Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
- Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
- You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
- Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
- S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
- S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
- S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
- S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
- 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
- Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
- Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
- Q2: Do you work for AA?
- Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
- Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
- Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
- Fill out forms.
- 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
- Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
- You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
- Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
- Take your height/weight.
- Go over medical history with you.
- They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
- They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
- Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – I want to share my own painful experience here and hope nobody will have the same mistake like me again.
I submitted my online application in May, got a telephone interview, and was schedule a f2f interview in July.

I saw someone recommend to fly in the night before the interview so you can have a night rest, so I did. They scheduled me a flight that arrived DFW at 11:30 pm, and my interview was in the next morning. However, when I arrived the airport at the late night, I found out that they lost my luggage, my interview materials, my make-ups and high heels were all in the luggage. Their luggage guy was very rude to me and said no one knows when my luggage will arrive. Sadly I went to my hotel without anything with me, it was 1am already, and thought that I couldn't make it to the interview tomorrow. I went to the airport in the early morning, and got my luggage, I changed my clothes and did make-ups and everything in the airport, and made it to the interview in the last minute.

The interview was exactly the same as what other people had shared here. At the end I got my fingerprinted, and later that day I got their email saying that I have advanced. I was so happy! I thought that I had passed the most difficult part, the f2f interview!! The week after they kept sending me different emails. I faxed my background check. And they emailed my CJO to read and sign, which made me think that I will get this job for sure.

I didn't have a job at that time, and the time I happened got a job offer from another airline company. AA told me my training date will probably starts in October, so I think it would be great if I work for another company first while waiting for AA's offer. However, AA schedule me a language test which happened on the same day as my first day at another company. I called both AA and the company asking if either of them could change the date, but no. And that company said that, if I couldn't make it to the first day at work, I will lose the job. I decided that AA is a better company to work for, so I declined that company's job offer to make it to AA's language test.

And I passed the language test, and was schedule a medical exam on 7/30. However, they canceled my my medical date last minute, and said that maybe will schedule me again by the end of August. Few days later another lady contacted me and asked if I am available to start the training on 8/18, if my medical is clear. I said I am available, but I haven't had the exam yet. So they scheduled me a medical exam few days after. I was so excited, because suddenly I will go to Dallas for training soon, and after training I will probably be based in Dallas! I met up with my friends and relatives here and said good-bye to them. And started to plan about moving, and thought about having a new life in Dallas.

I had my medical exam on 8/6. On 8/11, I got a "rescind offer" email saying that I didn't pass their medical exam. I was totally shocked. The email was very short, didn't explain anything, if you want to know additional information about why you didn't pass, you have to fax them a request, which I did shortly after the email. It's the third day now and I haven't gotten anything from them.

My medical exam was strangely short. I only spent 1.5 hours for exam. 30 minutes for blood pressure, heart rate and urine, and 40 mins for physical ability test. My medical exam was 2:30 pm and they scheduled me the flight at 5pm back home, so my test was hurry through and I literally ran to the airport to catch the flight.

I just can't believe that after going through so many procedures, spending so much time flying there and back, and they just turned me down with such a short email, and stop talking to me. I am very healthy and I am sure I am able to do those physical tasks onboard.

Before the interview, I had read lots of people's posts here, but I didn't see anybody say that they didn't pass the medical exam, so I didn't expect this tragedy happened to me. But I'm not the only one.
From my awful experience, my suggestions are, don't believe that you are going to Dallas until you clear your medical (even though you think you are physically healthy!) And don't sacrifice other job opportunities for them, it doesn't worth it. I am very disappointed.

Interview Question – I never thought that medical exam is the one that turns me down, and I even didn't know why I didn't pass it.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – All process contact by phone or email, very advanced. The interviewers are very nice and the process are enjoyable. Before i went to have interview i did a lot of research through glassdoor, not much to share cause i think currently has enough on the web to explain the process. The question are not new. Mostly can find here. It's very useful.

Reason for Declining – Salary not good

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Went through the process of filing out the application, the online interview, and speaking with someone on the phone. I scheduled my face to face interview and they never sent the information for flights, etc. I called numerous times and left voicemails. Poor hiring/interview process in my eyes.

Interview Question – Normal questions. Why do you feel like this is a good position for you, etc. etc.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on Jul. 31, personality test was included. Next day on Aug. 1, I got an email invitation for a video interview. They sent a reminder on Aug. 3 to complete the interview within timeline. I just had that interview yesterday, that's Aug. 5. I had expected there might be an email telling me that I have completed the interview & they would let me know the result no matter what. But surprisingly, there is nothing after the interview.

Interview Question – Well, they are quit simply questions, e.g. What you know about AA? Why you want to work with AA?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – After you fill out your online application, you are given an automated interview to be completed online--no interaction with any actual human beings, just a recited question and less than five minutes to get your answer together before you respond. Nor can you edit or redo your response if you misspeak or talk over yourself--you have one shot and that's it.

Interview Question – They ask what you know about American Airlines as a company as well as the most memorable customer service experience you recently had.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in October 2013.

Interview Details – You will have a welcome talk and they will tell you alitte about the company. There are group ativites as well as group interviews. If you made it passed this stage you will be given a one on one intrview.

Interview Question – What do you thing of social media?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I interviewed at American Airlines in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in may, got an email in July saying I was selected to interview and selected one if the listed day. They flew me to Dallas the day before - you have to fly in before although I did see that they add some exceptions to this, if you come the du before you pay for your accommodations. They have preselected hotels with group rates and they pick you up from the airport and drop you off at the interview location. When u get there they have everyone sit and fill out some paperwork. Our group was surprisingly small only about 10 people. We were all very social and by the end of the day exchanged numbers n emails so we were luck to be in our group - I saw a later group of about 30- after paperwork was complete we went to another room to hear a "presentation" which was pretty much information about the company pay and benefits.. After that, the same person conducted the interview, there were 3 questions we all answered and then we read a small flight attendant script. The questions were simple, what are u currently doing, what would u do to help a first time nervous flyer. After that we went to a room and waited for one in one interviews- they interview all of us, I don't know if they always do that, or if it was because our Group was so small, we did also gave great candidates though- during the one on one the interviewer asked about 6 questions, situation based. After I was able to ask questions. Then the recruiter said is be a good fit, I was finger printed and went to give pee the same day. In my group 7 of the 10 were selected

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable pay is 18 and change

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied the last week of April, got an email and a call for an online video interview a few days later. I got a call about three weeks later from AA asking if I would be interested in flying out to DFW for a face - to - face interview. They covered the flight, but I had to pay for a hotel in TX after the interview because they could not get me back out that day. Everyone was very friendly and really helped put me at ease. There were about seven people total who interviewed my group of about 25. All of the interviewees were very friendly also. We broke off just to groups of about five and did an activity where we drew a circle and wrote three things we had in common and then each drew a line outside the circle and wrote one thing unique about ourselves. Then we sp lo it off into different groups again and did group interviews. The questions were things like "define good customer service," "what would you look for in hiring a flight attendant" "who would you choose to have dinner with if it could be anyone in the world" and "

Interview Question – "What's your favorite corporate brand and why?" I was not expecting this and I'm sure I absolutely blew it. All of the other questions related to flight or preparation for the position, so this one caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Ok so I was flown out to dallas international airport Yesterday which was June 17'th for a group interview. Upon arrival to the airport I went to the shuttle area as per the instructions in the email. We took a van with the name arias on it to the "AA" training camp which is about 10 minutes away from the airport. We first went into a room where you are required to fill out a form with basic information and then you give your passport to the host of the interview. They hold on to it till the end of the day. After everyone completes their forms then you move to a larger room where you sit in groups of 5 or 6. There will be roughly 32 of you. In this room you do fun activities to introduce yourself and get to know others around you. Standing in the back of the room is a panel of people. They are there taking notes about every individual. After about an hour of group activities the panel of people returns to the room and each one of them calls either 5 or 6 individuals with them to go for group interviews. You go to your own room. In this room another person is waiting. They are there to assist the original interviewer in taking notes. For the first question they will pick which individuals will answer first then you will answer working your way through the line. If you end up being last don't feel like you have ran out of answers simply act like nobody else was there and speak from your heart. They want to hear the truth not a script. Next they will ask one question and then who ever is ready to answer will stand up and give their answer. The last question requires you to think on your feet. Each person is given a card upside down with a question and a number you are not allowed to peek at your card. When you feel ready you stand up, turn your card over, read the question and answer the question within 30 seconds. Just answer truthfully and everything will be fine. After all the questions you will return to the group area where you will wait for your name to be called into another room. Not everyone gets to go to the other room. For some this is the bed of the road. In the next room they call you one on one to go and get fingerprints taken and after that you go and do a one on one interview. The questions they ask for the one on one are standard questions and when you are done you are told that you will be given an answer within 2 weeks. This morning I woke up and checked my email and couldn't believe that I had already received an email saying that once my fingerprints and background are clear that I can be scheduled for a physical and upon completion of my physical I will be scheduled for the 7 weeks of training. The process was definitely Intense but everyone was so nice and professional. It was one of the best interviews I have ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and what you are currently doing and if you were to be the one interviewing people what would you be looking for.   Answer Question
  • What was your proudest moment   Answer Question
  • If you were to just meet someone what would you think their first reaction of you would be.   Answer Question
  • There were many other questions that were asked but this is just an idea of some of the things to expect. Good luck.   Answer Question

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!