American Airlines

Average Difficulty
179 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

DFW, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in October of 2013, received an email/call to do a camera interview where they ask you 6 questions recorded - about two weeks later received an email advising me of my progression, took about another two weeks before I got an update profile email to resubmit to next phase of the hiring process. Received an email a month later and a call setting up a f2f group interview, assessment day as it's called, I'm not going to elaborate too much on this, as it's the same as many other people on here.. but I will tell you, just be yourself and breath, it's important that you don't look too nervous, show some personality, you're going to love it... I would say the interview process is hard depending on your ability to adjust and keep calm in all the excitement of being there, ya know?

They'll have you do a lot of things, Fingerprinting (background), DOT paperwork, reach test, medical exam, Language test, agility test, but they're there for you every step of the way, they'll answer all questions and are very patient, AWESOME Team they have!

Interview Question – Name a time you were proud of something you did within your company or team   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed in April 2013. Essay type question on who would you want to sit next to on a flight to Tokyo and why. Group exercise draw a circle w three lines and list things all had in common. Outside circle something interesting about you. Had to go in front of room and present as a group others had to guess who was who. Then the 8 of us in my group went into a room with 2 recruiters and were asked 5 or 6 questions. Tell me about a time a coworker did something that surprised you? Tell me about a time you have given back to the community? Tell me something you learned about someone in this room today. So be sure to pay attention to names and what other candidates are saying to answer this question.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time a coworker did something that surprised you   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details – Much like described by other candidates

Interview Question – How I would handle working in a team environment, lots of scenario questions. Asking over and over how i would handle working with difficult customers in various fashions. Seemed easy enough but no offer. Have now been offered at another major airline, don't know if its worth the time and energy.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines in October 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Submitted application online
2. Received an email inviting me to take an online assessment (video interview) about a week later. About 6 customer service related questions. Answer honestly, answered are timed.
3. 1 week later, received email to update application.
4. 2 weeks later, got a phone call from my recruiter inviting me to a face to face interview in Dallas. AA will fly you to the interview. I flew in the morning of the interview, stayed the night and flew home the next day (if you are asked to stay overnight you will be responsible for paying for the hotel accommodations).
 - As soon as you arrive at the training center where the interview is held, you are being watched. Be polite to anyone you encounter and smile, smile, smile!
  - You will be given an essay prompt to write while everyone is being checked in and passports are being collected. Mingle with the other candidates, make friends, and show off your personality. There were about 30 other people in my interview group.
  - Group Activity: you work with about 4 or 5 other people to complete the task. This is used as a fun ice breaker, but keep in mind that the recruiters are taking notes every step of the way. Be engaging with your group and volunteer to take a leadership role in the task (speaker, writer etc.) Each group will stand up to introduce themselves one by one. Smile and show your personality, but don't be phony!
  - Small group interview. You will broken up into a new small group of about 5 and just your group will go to a separate room to answer questions before a panel of 2 or 3 recruiters. I chose to sit in the first seat and answer first to help me stand out (although I am a little shy and I was VERY nervous) They know everyone is nervous, so don't let it get the best of you and do your best! Be sincere!! Customer service related questions about how you have handled certain situations, why you want to work for the company, tell about yourself etc. (We were asked 5-7 questions)
  - Reunited with the big group to watch a powerpoint presentation about the company and question and answer
  - Recruiters will return and call everyone out individually to "ask any further questions". I was told that I was going into another room to take fingerprints and wait for a one-on-one interview (if you make it to this point, it is GOOD; I did not see more than half of the group again after this point). I got my fingerprints taken, and did a reach test to make sure you could reach far enough into an overhead compartment. My one-on-one interview was more relaxed and asked basic questions like: "tell me about yourself, how do you feel about relocating etc.". Don't get too comfortable in the one-on-one, nothing is set in stone until you receive a training date..I have heard some people making it to the one-on-one, but later receiving a Thanks but No Thanks because they didn't impress the recruiter!
5. The next day before I even landed at home, I got my email that I was moving forward! (pending background check and medical exam)
6. Received DOT forms a few days later, and it took about 3 weeks for them to clear. (this is a background check for job history)
7. Singed my Conditional Job Offer and scheduled for Medical Exam a few days later
8. Medical Exam
  - 2 drug tests
  - Blood work and asked about medical history
  - Hearing test
  - Eye test
  - Agility test (bending and reaching tests, lifting up to 60 lbs, pushing and pulling tests to see how strong you are) Your heart rate is monitored the entire time so breath normally and don't get too nervous so i remains at a normal rate. It is hard to determine how you did, and they won;t really give you feedback, but it is not very difficult to pass the agility (I don't work out regularly or anything like that, so if i did well, you will be fine!)
  - My medical clearance had a minor setback because my white blood cell count was a little o the high side (sinus infection) BUT the medical department will work with you if something is off and will allow you to send a note from you doctor stating that you are in good health and able to perform job functions. Some people also were held up because of anemia, but don't get discouraged, you can still be cleared it will just take a little longer!
9. Finally received medical clearance after about 3 weeks (it could take as little as 2 days if you don't run into the same situation I did). Waiting for official training date.

Interview Question – Some "typical" interview questions, and some that really make you think on your toes...prepare for any type of question!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation of contract, so do your research to make sure that this job will suit your lifestyle!

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online through the American Airlines Careers website on Oct.7 received an email on Oct.8 to complete the online assesment. Oct.29 received another email and a phone call to complete online video interview, I was a little confused on how this worked and i had internet issues but had to submit my video, you can not retake any questions. You are asked behavioral questions, they repeat the question 2 times and then you are given 2 minutes to think about your answer and then you 3 minutes to answer. A total of 5 to 6 questions were asked. Since there was an error with my video interview I was called back and able to take a 2nd video interview which succesfully went through the 2nd time. Recieved the next email on Nov.14 to update my application, just a few minor assesment questions and then submit all your new info if it needs to be updated. Nov. 18 recieved phone call from American Airlines that invited my to Dallas DFW for Assessment Day Interview on Dec. 9th at 1:30pm and gave me all the information i needed, Now im just waiting for my interview next Monday!!! Hope this helped someone, this websight has helped me tremendously, good luck and happy flying to all!

Interview Question – Describe a time where you worked as a team, and what makes working as a team great?
Describe a time when you had a customer left unsatisfied, how did you handle the situation?
Why do you want to work for American Airlines
  Answer Question

DFW, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2009.

Interview Details – Initial contact was letter, followed by a group interview at AA HQ... then a one on one interview during the same visit. If you were offered the job they told you after your one on one, but if not you were given an exit interview

Interview Question – Give an example of when you received outstanding customer service   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation as a flight attendant

Flight Attendant
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – questions about being a flight attendant

Interview Question – questions about academic sicial events   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2013.

Interview Details – You apply online, which takes a little while (maybe 30-40 minutes). Then if they like what they see they send you an e-mail (about a month later since it takes some time to read all the applications) that has a link to an automated phone interview. There are 6 questions on the phone interview and you get 3 minutes to answer each.

Question 6: What excited you about working for American Airlines?

Interview Questions

• What aspects of being a flight attendant do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?   View Answer
  • American Airlines bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?   Answer Question
  • Hypothetical Situation:

You are approached by an elderly woman whop has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to Fort Lauderdale is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications
      Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2013.

Interview Details – First, AA will set up an automated phone interview with you. They notify by email letting you know you have gotten to that step, then you call the number provided. You will be asked 5-6 questions and given 3 minutes to answer each. They are all customer service questions, and some are situational.
Next, you will receive an email asking you to come to an in person interview in Dallas. It took about 3 weeks for me to get that email. After calling the number provided they will schedule an interview in DFW about a week out.
The interview experience was the best I have had yet with any airline. I have interviewed with two other major carriers (one I didn't get, the other I did but ultimately turned it down), and AA is by far the nicest bunch of folks out there. There were about 15 candidates there and it took about 4.5 hours altogether. The AA reps are welcoming, friendly, excited to be hiring, and just all-around a great group of people. You will have group interactive exercises, a small interview group with about 4 candidates and two reps, as well as a short one-on-one interview. All the interview questions are customer service related and many are situational, so be prepared to talk about specific instances where you have done out of the ordinary things for customers, or for your community in general.
Not at any time were the interviewers confrontational or negative. They genuinely want to get to know you and see your real personality. I cannot reiterate enough how nice these people were. It was a very good experience, and I would have said that regardless of whether or not I got the job.

Interview Question – Talk about a time when you rallied several coworkers to get a job done better and more efficiently. (or something like that)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will not tell you right away if you got it. They will email you within two weeks. I got my email offer 6 days after the interview.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2013.

Interview Details – I attended my job interview in Dallas, TX yesterday, and I must say it was one of the best experience so far with an airline. From the start to the end was great. The recruiters were super and at no times they made you feel just a number like the other airlines. When you come in, they make you write something like that: You were on a plane to Japan......who would you bring with you on that flight and why..... Then we had to do a group game "Who was Who", then a group interview, and finally they call you one by one for a sort of 1:1 interview. The 1:1 was brief and just told me that I will hear from them withing 2wks.

When I left the place and I was waiting for the shuttle, someone told me that if they did not ask you for your fingerprints, then they did not select you. However, one of the recruiters told us that we would not find out the same day, but to wait for an email...

Interview Question – All costumer related questions. So be prepare for that.   Answer Question

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!