American Airlines

Average Difficulty
179 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process was similar to what all the other previous candidates had posted. Applied online, received email, completed personality test online, completed video interview online, attended interview in Dallas, Texas. Group interview then if successful 1:1 interview and fingerprint before leaving Dallas

Interview Question – All the questions were shared by previous candidates on this site.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – Process has been about 2 months.
1. Paper Application.
2. Call to do video interview. Very simple. Just a few questions. A tad awkward as it's automated. So you're just rambling at a screen. Behavior questions. Let your personality shine. It's not what you say, it's his you say it.
3. Invitation for f2f, a month from invitation date.
4. arrived in dallas, ice breaker, group interview, one on one, and then fingerprinting if they like ya.

Everyone was dressed nicely, but bland. I have a little more spunk and I think that helped me stand out from the vast of sea of average Joe black, blue, and gray skirt suits. (Still, I was dressed conservatively) I was first to answer questions and was my groups spoke person for the ice breakers. Don't be too confident!! They don't want cocky people.. At all. They want people to be nervous. They want to know how excited and honored you are to be there. I noticed that the people who showed how excited they were and that they were a tad intimidated were invited to finger printing. So let your voice and knees shake a little. Lol! Smile till your cheeks burn. Talk to everyone you can. Ask where people are from. Exchange numbers. Try to make little jokes, but do not hog the spotlight . I won't lie, the whole process was very intimidating. But I was offered a position. (: Smile!!

Interview Question – Mostly behavior questions. How would you handle this? How would you describe yourself? (Don't get cocky!!) One word or phrase to describe customer service... Easy questions. Nothing crazy.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

DFW, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – Day 0 - Submitted application online

Day 5 - Received an invitation for video interview. This is an automated online interview consists of several questions and your response is recorded through your webcam.

Day 7 - Completed video interview.

Day 11- Received an email indicating "overwhelming" interest based on the video interview. But due to the large number of applicants I was advised to be patient and expect to hear from AA in the "coming months".

Day 15 - Received an invitation for on site interview. I guess I don't have to wait for months after all. And they wanted me to go the next day! Due to prior commitments I had to schedule the interview for the following week.

Day 22 10am - Arrived at AA Training and Conference Center in Ft Worth for the interview.

Interviews are usually conducted Tuesdays through Thursdays twice a day in groups of 25. In my group there were 20 women and 5 men of various age, size, and ethnicity, and several of them have language skills. Only 2 were local and the rest came from all over the country. The facilitators/evaluators were all senior FA's with 30+ years of experience. They were just as excited as the candidates because this is the first time AA has hired FA's since 9/11 and we could represent the next generation of FA's at the new AA.

To put things in perspective, there were over 100k applicants and AA has hired about 2,000 new FA's to date (starting last year). They told us we should be proud of ourselves for making it to the interview. This got everyone all pumped up!

We broke into groups of 5's to start the first exercise, which mainly deals with learning about each other and then present to the other groups. It forces you to remember names, faces, and some details about each person, and think on your feet.

Then the facilitators went through a presentation about AA, FA job requirements, and the training process. After that we were divided into 4 groups for the group interview. There were two interviewers for each group. First, each person in the group had to answer the same question. Then each person draws a random question and had to answer on the spot.

After the group interview then it's time for individual interviews, then a "reach" test (to make sure you can reach the overhead bin), and finger printing. The entire process took 4 hours.

Day 25 - Received an email to submit background check. Looks like I made it!!

Day 28 - Submitted background check.

Day 30 - Received offer letter!

Day 32 - Accepted offer

Day 38 - Foreign language assessment test

Day 42 - Medical and physical ability test

Day 45 - Schedule flight attendant training

Interview Question – Who is your favorite superhero and why.
Describe one of your life experiences that prepared you to be a flight attendant.
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – It took me all 5 months to get to my F2F interview. Up to now i can't believe the F2F process would be that silly and all they are interested is if they like you or not... They aren't really interested in your professional way of being, not even very much focused if you do look well groomed... The 5 ones they had picked in my group were the least well dressed, but the 5 ones very off and plain people who they can easily brain wash...

Interview Question – Silly Silly Silly... Upon the group dynamic they already have in mind the ones they had liked the most.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – Just an update: Received invitation for online interview on April 2. Completed on April 3. Just received an email to update my online application form; this is 5 weeks after online interview. If you have completed your video and still haven't heard back, just be patient. From reading posts here, it appears that it could take another couple of weeks to get an invitation for a F2F.

Interview Question – What asset do you have that AA would benefit from hiring you?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interview step 1: Filled out application
2. Personality test
3. Automated interview(webcam)
4. Basic background check
5. Face to face interview
6. Fingerprinted.

Interview Question – use on word to describe good customer service   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better offer from other company

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – Nov/2013 - Applied online
Nov/2013 - Personality Test online
Dec/2013 - Video interview online
Jan/2013 - Call to complete online application
Jan/2013 - Invitation for F2F interview in Dallas
Feb/2013 - Face to Face Interview, Dallas TX. Followed the advice on here, got fingerprinted.
Feb/2013 - Recieved DOT forms via email, faxed them back
Mar/2013 - 2.5 weeks passed, still waiting to hear back on DOT forms / Background check. Anyday now! =)

Interview Question – What are your thoughts on social media?

That one came a bit out of the blue in the panel interview. They passed out cards with questions on them then we took turns standing in front of the group and speaking on our topic or question. It seemed to be a test of extemporaneous speaking skill.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Terms negotiated by Flight Attendant Union. 21.26 per flight hour. 75 hour guarantee. $2.00 per diem. 8.5 weeks unpaid training. Room and board provided for training.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in late October on the American Airlines website. I received a pretty quick response for me to move forward to the next step which was a personality test and then video interview. I was not that confident in my webcam interview because you are looking at yourself when speaking. However, 3 days or so later I received an email inviting me to the head quarters for the assessment day interview. when I went I wore slacks, heels, and a blazer. When going in for the assessment interview, look sharp and professional. You will meet everyone in a room to sign in. Do not forget passport, and license along with anything else they say to bring. It is important to follow directions. After we sign in we are taken to a larger room and placed in groups. We did a group activity and introduced ourselves to everyone. The trainers are watching how you interact with everyone and how comfortable you are. I didn't notice them watching until someone mentioned that that is what they were doing. After the group activity, they take 5 to 6 people into separate rooms and have the group interview. I have never done a group interview but to my surprise I really felt comfortable and enjoyed it. You will be nervous but honestly, all you can do is be yourself. Think of your answers before you speak. They are taking notes during the interview and while you are talking. Benefits of a group interview is there are more people to make eye contact with. Believe in your answers and have confidence. After the group interview we all head back to the big room where the group activity took place and you watch a video. When that is done they will start taking you out one by one. I was taken to a room for a one on one and finger prints. Within the next week I received an email to fill out my back ground forms and dot paper work which I had three days to send those back. I sent those Nov. 14th. After that I did not hear anything back for months! I would email once a month to follow up on the process. Four months later I received my offer letter and appointment to take my medical exam. I think the wait took long due to the holidays and the new year. I took my medical exam about two weeks ago and I received an email that I cleared my exam and now I am waiting on the call that will tell me when I start my training! This hiring process is long and you need to have patience Do not quit your job until you have training dates set. Good luck to everyone!

Interview Question – Tell a time when you needed to take control of a situation.   View Answer

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – I applied online in March 2014. Received an invitation to do a video interview three weeks later. I have completed the video interview and I am now waiting to hear back. It has been two and a half weeks and I have not heard anything yet.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a problem with a coworker. what happened? what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – So far the process has taken a little over three months. Flying out to do my F2F this Thursday. Praying!

Interview Question – I found the questions to be standard, common sense questions.   View Answer