American Airlines

Average Difficulty
183 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an invitation for a per-interview online about a week later. This interview consisted of filming my answers which were timed. A few days later I received a phone call asking me to attend an interview in Texas. My flight was covered, but I had to pay for my hotel. The interview process lasted half a day. We were broken up into groups for questioning, then different groups for exercises they deemed appropriate. Afterward, we were told more about the company and position. Lastly, they called us out one by one and we were either escorted out of the building or taken to a room for a one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – What is the nicest thing you have done for someone recently?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – I applied online in early March 2014, and received an email back within a week to do the webcam interview. I was really nervous, and thought I did pretty awful! I smiled a lot though, and 2 weeks later I got an email to update my information. About a week or so later I was called to do the face to face interview in Dallas. The face to face interview was scheduled for a month later (May 2014). Again, I was really nervous! The interview was a lot more relaxing than I expected though. The flight attendants that interviewed us were some of the friendliest people I've met, and they want you to be relaxed and to do your best. We started in a room where we had to feel out a paper, and there was a short question on the back. It was simple. Then we moved on to a group icebreaker. After that they paired us in groups of 5 for the group interview questions, I was too nervous to answer first but I always made sure not to be the last person to answer any questions! I was surprised that they didn't ask us more questions (I think they just asked us 5 or so), After that we watched a video about what being a flight attendant is like etc. Then one by one they called us out of the room to either walk us out or to another room to be finger printed. I was finger printed and then had a one on one interview. The one-on-one interview was again, pretty easy (this coming from someone that has not interviewed much, I'm only 20!). I just reassured them that I was ready to move to wherever I needed to, and that this is the career I want to have until I retire. Overall, it was a great experience and even if I wasn't offered the position, I would've benefited from this interview in the future.

Interview Question – Everyone else has pretty much gone over what the questions are like.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – You arrive in the morning and they tell you what you will be doing while you're there and that you will have a one-on-one interview at the end of the day. So at the end we were all sitting in a room waiting to be called. When they called me I started walking down the hallway with the 'interviewer' and she asked me if my information was still current (a strange question, since I just recently submitted this information), I answered yes and at that time we had arrived at the exit. The 'interviewer' told me they would be in touch and said goodbye and I was out the door wondering where the one-on-one interview was they had told us we would have!? I went to the shuttle bus and the others that were already there speculated if they would get hired or not. Of course we didn't. They got to look at you all day and if they're interested in you they will keep you there to further process your application. I don't have a problem not getting the job, especially from a company that has you take three days out of your life to travel to an application event, tells you in the morning you will have a one-on-one interview and then at the end of the day basically walks you out the door. From a global company I expect professionalism and integrity and not some infantile approach.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at American Airlines

Interview Details – 1. Applied online in early May 2014.
 2. Received a quick response to move forward to the next step( personality test )
 3. Received an invitation to do a video interview three weeks later.
 I have completed the video interview and I am now waiting to hear back(F2F)

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a problem with a coworker. what happened? what was the outcome?
Describe a time when you handled difficult customer?
  Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process was similar to what all the other previous candidates had posted. Applied online, received email, completed personality test online, completed video interview online, attended interview in Dallas, Texas. Group interview then if successful 1:1 interview and fingerprint before leaving Dallas

Interview Question – All the questions were shared by previous candidates on this site.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – Process has been about 2 months.
1. Paper Application.
2. Call to do video interview. Very simple. Just a few questions. A tad awkward as it's automated. So you're just rambling at a screen. Behavior questions. Let your personality shine. It's not what you say, it's his you say it.
3. Invitation for f2f, a month from invitation date.
4. arrived in dallas, ice breaker, group interview, one on one, and then fingerprinting if they like ya.

Everyone was dressed nicely, but bland. I have a little more spunk and I think that helped me stand out from the vast of sea of average Joe black, blue, and gray skirt suits. (Still, I was dressed conservatively) I was first to answer questions and was my groups spoke person for the ice breakers. Don't be too confident!! They don't want cocky people.. At all. They want people to be nervous. They want to know how excited and honored you are to be there. I noticed that the people who showed how excited they were and that they were a tad intimidated were invited to finger printing. So let your voice and knees shake a little. Lol! Smile till your cheeks burn. Talk to everyone you can. Ask where people are from. Exchange numbers. Try to make little jokes, but do not hog the spotlight . I won't lie, the whole process was very intimidating. But I was offered a position. (: Smile!!

Interview Question – Mostly behavior questions. How would you handle this? How would you describe yourself? (Don't get cocky!!) One word or phrase to describe customer service... Easy questions. Nothing crazy.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

DFW, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – Day 0 - Submitted application online

Day 5 - Received an invitation for video interview. This is an automated online interview consists of several questions and your response is recorded through your webcam.

Day 7 - Completed video interview.

Day 11- Received an email indicating "overwhelming" interest based on the video interview. But due to the large number of applicants I was advised to be patient and expect to hear from AA in the "coming months".

Day 15 - Received an invitation for on site interview. I guess I don't have to wait for months after all. And they wanted me to go the next day! Due to prior commitments I had to schedule the interview for the following week.

Day 22 10am - Arrived at AA Training and Conference Center in Ft Worth for the interview.

Interviews are usually conducted Tuesdays through Thursdays twice a day in groups of 25. In my group there were 20 women and 5 men of various age, size, and ethnicity, and several of them have language skills. Only 2 were local and the rest came from all over the country. The facilitators/evaluators were all senior FA's with 30+ years of experience. They were just as excited as the candidates because this is the first time AA has hired FA's since 9/11 and we could represent the next generation of FA's at the new AA.

To put things in perspective, there were over 100k applicants and AA has hired about 2,000 new FA's to date (starting last year). They told us we should be proud of ourselves for making it to the interview. This got everyone all pumped up!

We broke into groups of 5's to start the first exercise, which mainly deals with learning about each other and then present to the other groups. It forces you to remember names, faces, and some details about each person, and think on your feet.

Then the facilitators went through a presentation about AA, FA job requirements, and the training process. After that we were divided into 4 groups for the group interview. There were two interviewers for each group. First, each person in the group had to answer the same question. Then each person draws a random question and had to answer on the spot.

After the group interview then it's time for individual interviews, then a "reach" test (to make sure you can reach the overhead bin), and finger printing. The entire process took 4 hours.

Day 25 - Received an email to submit background check. Looks like I made it!!

Day 28 - Submitted background check.

Day 30 - Received offer letter!

Day 32 - Accepted offer

Day 38 - Foreign language assessment test

Day 42 - Medical and physical ability test

Day 45 - Schedule flight attendant training

Interview Question – Who is your favorite superhero and why.
Describe one of your life experiences that prepared you to be a flight attendant.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details – It took me all 5 months to get to my F2F interview. Up to now i can't believe the F2F process would be that silly and all they are interested is if they like you or not... They aren't really interested in your professional way of being, not even very much focused if you do look well groomed... The 5 ones they had picked in my group were the least well dressed, but the 5 ones very off and plain people who they can easily brain wash...

Interview Question – Silly Silly Silly... Upon the group dynamic they already have in mind the ones they had liked the most.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – Just an update: Received invitation for online interview on April 2. Completed on April 3. Just received an email to update my online application form; this is 5 weeks after online interview. If you have completed your video and still haven't heard back, just be patient. From reading posts here, it appears that it could take another couple of weeks to get an invitation for a F2F.

Interview Question – What asset do you have that AA would benefit from hiring you?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interview step 1: Filled out application
2. Personality test
3. Automated interview(webcam)
4. Basic background check
5. Face to face interview
6. Fingerprinted.

Interview Question – use on word to describe good customer service   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better offer from other company