American Airlines

Average Difficulty
179 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was filed my apply on early Jan, got email back the next week. I received a link for web interview . A week after, I got call for F2F. It was really fan, we were playing and talking the hole time.

Interviewed at American Airlines

Interview Details – I have just made it to the video interview and am waiting to hear. The previous reviews on here were very helpful!

Interview Question – Tell us about a difficult team experience? What made it challenging?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – The application process was pretty painless. Actually a lot quicker and easier than other airlines I've applied with. Uploaded resume and cover letter. Took a personality assessment too. I think that is how they weed out some people. Received an email confirming they received my application. About 4 days later I got an email saying that I had advanced to the next step and they wanted me to do a video interview. Once you get that email, you'll have 5 days to complete it. They'll even send you a reminder email and call you if you haven't completed the interview yet. The video interview was A LOT easier than I had expected. Dress as if you are going to the interview face to face. Be professional, smile, and show your personality! They know within the first 30 seconds if you are someone they would like to meet. Make sure your background is clear of everything! You want them to be able to focus on your face when they watch it, so no noisy television, or distracting paintings behind you. I found a blank white wall for mine. The video interview is automated. You'll be able to do a "test" so you can check your sound and video feed, to make sure it's working fine. The automated interviewer will read you a question and then he'll repeat it. You have 60 seconds to think about your answer, and then it automatically starts recording. You'll have 3 minutes to answer. You do not need to fill up the entire 3 minutes. I think on average, mine were probably 1 minute 30 seconds long. There are 6 questions total. Examples; "Explain a time when you received excellent customer service". "Tell me what you think about living in a new city". "What qualities do you have, that will make you a good candidate for American Airlines". Just waiting for the next step, which is an email inviting you to update your application. After that, they call you for a face to face interview in Dallas.

Interview Question – "Tell me what you think about living in a new city."   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Applied online. Next day, interview video link was sent. It's been 2 business days since I completed the video interview and I haven't heard anything. If God wants me to have this job, they will call me!

Interview Question – The questions were expected. All of the questions were given on glass door! What qualities do you possess that make you the best candidate? Why do you want to be a flight attendant? How did you react to an angry customer?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied with American Eagle Airline about one month ago. I received an email inviting me to Dallas/Fort Worth for my interview.

Interview Question – Will have to update after interview.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Thanks to everyone who post on this blog. The advise given is right on point. The video interview was intimidating at first. But after the first question I was able to relax. What helped me to get comfortable and stay focused, was the fact that I was dressed as if I was I face to face with the interviewer.

Interview Question – Non of the questions were particular difficult.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2010.

Interview Details – Dress for success....ladies business dress or suit....gentlemen suit and tie...do not overdo make up and jewelry......no visible tattoos

Interview Question – Speak up...common sense questions about past experiences at your job...be honest   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered on spot....but remember it is 4 weeks of unpaid training....

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – Video interview was basic questions... Pretty easy... They basically want to see how presentable you are and if you're bubbly.

Interview Question – Name a difficult situation you had with a team member   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I advise everyone to be on time for the day of the interview. Please dress business formal. Look clean. If you are a man, please shave, comb your hair neatly and look as professional and clean as possible. If you are a female, do a pony-tail, not too much makeup, no extreme high heels, look very professional and clean. Remember to smile and be charming. Be yourself.

Interview Question – I can't recall the questions, but they really vary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Dallas, TX

Interview Details – During my process I referenced this site often and found the other reviews to be very helpful. I'm going to share my own experience, and add a few answers to questions I had which WEREN'T answered here, because so many others were.

I applied probably around late November, early December, and on December 17th or so I received an e-mail to complete their online video interview. These questions are pretty basic customer service questions e.g. "What was the best customer service you ever received?" and "Would you be willing to relocate for the job?"

I didn't hear back until December 30th, but keep in mind the Holidays were in that time lapse, so it probably won't be as long for others. On the 30th I got an invitation to answer a few more questions and was told I was "moving forward" in the process. Now, I responded immediately, however, days later I still had not heard anything back.
On January 10th, a little less than two weeks later, I called them and asked to make sure I had done everything, etc. In response I was transferred over to someone who scheduled me for a face to face interview.
My number one emphasis here is going to be don't be afraid to call if it's been a while or if you have questions. Talent Services is really friendly and generally it'll work in your favor. Or it did for me anyhow.

I scheduled my group interview for early February but was not sure of any flight details. They WILL pay for your flight (obviously) and they will contact you with flight information, though it will likely be sort-of last minute, as they have to get you in those left over seats on your flight.

The group interview is exactly as others have described here:
First you get a sheet of paper where you fill out a bit of information and answer a pretty basic customer service question.
Second you go into another room and sit in groups of about five, then do a group activity where you are obviously being judged by your ability to work in a group. Just be friendly, outgoing and outspoken, but not overbearing, and have fun with it. I think what they want to see most is that you are comfortable listening as much as speaking and working with others, as opposed to how much of a leader you can be.
Next you have a group interview. In different groups (also of five) you will be interviewed by two people, once again they are pretty basic customer service questions, but some that are more to explore your personality than your customer service skills. My advice here is to make sure you're heard but do not speak over any other candidates, the more you get along with the others the more relaxed you will all be, and of course it'll make you all look good.
There is one exercise here where they give everyone individual questions on cards that they hand you face-down. This one is clearly for an individual response with no influence by the others. None of these questions are particularly hard (that I saw). Examples were "What experience in your life do you think has best prepared you for the Flight Attendant position?" and "Do you think Social Media has had a positive or negative influence on the world?" (I recommend tying this one back to business purposes and positive customer feedback).

After about five questions or so, we were all taken back to the previous room and given a presentation on the demands and benefits of the flight attendant job.

After about thirty minutes, employees begin entering and taking hopefuls one by one for "one on one" interviews. At this point, they generally know whether or not you'll be moving on and one of two things will happen:
1. You will be given a brief "one on one" where they ask basic questions, if they ask anything, then ask if you have any questions for them.
2. You are taken to an actual one on one with more questions about you and about the job either before or after you are fingerprinted and given a basic "reach test" to be sure you can perform basic job functions at certain heights.

From here everyone is sent back to the airport for their returning flights.

In some instances people heard back within a day, for me it was around 48 hours before I received DOT forms. They are a rather simple employment history/ background check form which you must complete and fax back to them within 3 days.

Less than a week later I received an e-mail with a conditional job offer inside. I accepted immediately and a day later received the e-mail to set up my medical tests. Those are going to be in just under a month.

Interview Question – None of the questions was particularly hard, at least not to the extent that I would still remember it as difficult.   Answer Question