American Airlines

Average Difficulty
385 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1 - Applied.
2 - Was given the personality test.
3 - Email to take automated telephone interview (6 Q’s w/ only 3 mins to answer).
4 - Completed the automated telephone interview.
- Q1: What aspects of being a FA do you think would be the most difficult or different from other customer service jobs?
- Q2: AA bases are located in large metropolitan areas, tell me about your experience moving and living in a new city?
- Q3: You are approached by an elderly woman who has just gotten off a flight. She is very upset because her flight was late and she has to get to her daughter's wedding tomorrow. She wants to know why her flight was late and when the next available flight to FLL is. She also wants to know about her luggage because it contains her husbands medications.
Q4: Tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation that would normally be dealt with by a supervisor but there were none available. Describe the details and outcome.
- Q5: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.
- Q6: What excited you about working for AA?
5 - Received call on successfully completing the automated interview also to schedule interview in DFW (aka F2F).
6 - Email to complete Online Application Form.
7 - Assessment Day or "F2F" (4 hours) and included a group task, a small group interview, a 1 on 1 interview, and finally if they are interested in offering you the position you will complete two more assessments - a reach test, and then you'll be fingerprinted which is sent to the FBI for a background check. They'll tell you that it may take up to 14 days to receive a response from AA.
- You will be asked to complete a writing exercise. Q: You are taking a flight from DFW to Tokyo. If you could choose someone to sit next to you on the flight, who would it be and why?
- Group Task: Draw circle with 3 lines inside. Name 3 things that everyone in the group has in common. Each person draw a line from the circle going out. On that line each person writes something about them that's unique to them. Other group must try and guess what person is that unique item belongs to.
- S. Group Q1: What can you do that would be a unique asset that AA would would benefit from hiring you?
- S. Group Q2: Name a time that you gave back to you community where you credited a company or organization?
- S. Group Q3: Describe a time where you made a process better. Explain why it was better.
- S Group Q4: Describe a time where you had to disappoint a customer. How did you handle it and outcome?
- 1:1 Interview: Typical questions will be asked.
8 - 6 days after the Assessment in DFW, telephone call from AA on successfully completing the Assessment process also to schedule the foreign language test.
9 - Completed the LOD assessment. Test will be 100% in the language.
- Asked to read the reading material sent to you.
- Q1: What is your favorite animal and why?
- Q2: Do you work for AA?
- Q3: If you were in politics, what would you do to make the country better?
- Q4: What role would you play as a FA?
- Q5: If you were in an unknown city, what would you do to find a restaurant?
10 - Received email with DOT forms attached to complete and fax back to their compliance department within 3 business days.
11 - Received CJO. Sign into the new hire portal, read and accept the job.
12 - Received email scheduling the medical exam and agility (aka POET).
13 - Flew to DFW to complete the medical/agility test.
- Fill out forms.
- 2 urine tests (DOT & AA). You cannot do both urine test at the same time, so be prepared to drink loads of water after the first cup you fill.
- Read letter lines (you must read at least 5 lines), then color blind test (when you will see colored numbers inside a colored circle), and a depth test (where you will see 4 circles inside a square where you must tell her which one of the 4 circles are coming towards you).
- You will see lights on the left and right of your eyes where you must say "left/right" as you see the lights for peripheral vision.
- Blood pressure taken (now I always have perfect blood pressure but mine was high that day, and she asked me if I flew in? I told her yes and she said that's why it's a tad bit high - so you might want to mention you flew in).
- Take your height/weight.
- Go over medical history with you.
- They will stick this electronic probe in your ear to test ear drums
- They will put you in a booth where you put on the headphones and click this button when you hear a beep.
- Agility: You'll have to push, pull, push, pull, pick up crate while she ups the weight of the crate up to 60 lbs., move crate from one shelf to the top shelf and back down again, all while controlling your heart rate, then complete the color peg board.
14 - Received call, followed by a few emails on successfully completing medical/agility and to assign training date.

Dallas, TX

I interviewed at American Airlines in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in may, got an email in July saying I was selected to interview and selected one if the listed day. They flew me to Dallas the day before - you have to fly in before although I did see that they add some exceptions to this, if you come the du before you pay for your accommodations. They have preselected hotels with group rates and they pick you up from the airport and drop you off at the interview location. When u get there they have everyone sit and fill out some paperwork. Our group was surprisingly small only about 10 people. We were all very social and by the end of the day exchanged numbers n emails so we were luck to be in our group - I saw a later group of about 30- after paperwork was complete we went to another room to hear a "presentation" which was pretty much information about the company pay and benefits.. After that, the same person conducted the interview, there were 3 questions we all answered and then we read a small flight attendant script. The questions were simple, what are u currently doing, what would u do to help a first time nervous flyer. After that we went to a room and waited for one in one interviews- they interview all of us, I don't know if they always do that, or if it was because our Group was so small, we did also gave great candidates though- during the one on one the interviewer asked about 6 questions, situation based. After I was able to ask questions. Then the recruiter said is be a good fit, I was finger printed and went to give pee the same day. In my group 7 of the 10 were selected

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable pay is 18 and change

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details – I got the interview through campus recruiting. There were three rounds interviews. For the first round interview, most questions were accounting and finance technique questions. Those questions were also related to airline industry. The questions were pretty straight forward, especially for people who have finance background. All questions were fair, as long as you are prepared.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at American Airlines in August 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview by phone followed by next day face to face interview. Very pleasant VP the environment seemed professional. 2nd face to face interview with team I thought it went OK no good vibe from team one of them was completely out of it they asked a lot of the same questions I had already answered with the VP.

Interview Question – No unusual question was asked.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Had an hour long group interview and they told us they will make a decision weather to offer the job to someone or call us back for a second interview next week. Waited for 2 weeks when they decided we need to come in for a second. The second was 2 hour long in a freezing dinning room. To do a computer test by typing up a word document, basic excel and creating a power point slide. Waste of time!

Interview Question – 1. Analyzing their quarterly balance sheet and talk about as many things as possible.
2. Benefit of a credit unions compared to banks
  Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Ok so I was flown out to dallas international airport Yesterday which was June 17'th for a group interview. Upon arrival to the airport I went to the shuttle area as per the instructions in the email. We took a van with the name arias on it to the "AA" training camp which is about 10 minutes away from the airport. We first went into a room where you are required to fill out a form with basic information and then you give your passport to the host of the interview. They hold on to it till the end of the day. After everyone completes their forms then you move to a larger room where you sit in groups of 5 or 6. There will be roughly 32 of you. In this room you do fun activities to introduce yourself and get to know others around you. Standing in the back of the room is a panel of people. They are there taking notes about every individual. After about an hour of group activities the panel of people returns to the room and each one of them calls either 5 or 6 individuals with them to go for group interviews. You go to your own room. In this room another person is waiting. They are there to assist the original interviewer in taking notes. For the first question they will pick which individuals will answer first then you will answer working your way through the line. If you end up being last don't feel like you have ran out of answers simply act like nobody else was there and speak from your heart. They want to hear the truth not a script. Next they will ask one question and then who ever is ready to answer will stand up and give their answer. The last question requires you to think on your feet. Each person is given a card upside down with a question and a number you are not allowed to peek at your card. When you feel ready you stand up, turn your card over, read the question and answer the question within 30 seconds. Just answer truthfully and everything will be fine. After all the questions you will return to the group area where you will wait for your name to be called into another room. Not everyone gets to go to the other room. For some this is the bed of the road. In the next room they call you one on one to go and get fingerprints taken and after that you go and do a one on one interview. The questions they ask for the one on one are standard questions and when you are done you are told that you will be given an answer within 2 weeks. This morning I woke up and checked my email and couldn't believe that I had already received an email saying that once my fingerprints and background are clear that I can be scheduled for a physical and upon completion of my physical I will be scheduled for the 7 weeks of training. The process was definitely Intense but everyone was so nice and professional. It was one of the best interviews I have ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and what you are currently doing and if you were to be the one interviewing people what would you be looking for.   Answer Question
  • What was your proudest moment   Answer Question
  • If you were to just meet someone what would you think their first reaction of you would be.   Answer Question
  • There were many other questions that were asked but this is just an idea of some of the things to expect. Good luck.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied the last week of April, got an email and a call for an online video interview a few days later. I got a call about three weeks later from AA asking if I would be interested in flying out to DFW for a face - to - face interview. They covered the flight, but I had to pay for a hotel in TX after the interview because they could not get me back out that day. Everyone was very friendly and really helped put me at ease. There were about seven people total who interviewed my group of about 25. All of the interviewees were very friendly also. We broke off just to groups of about five and did an activity where we drew a circle and wrote three things we had in common and then each drew a line outside the circle and wrote one thing unique about ourselves. Then we sp lo it off into different groups again and did group interviews. The questions were things like "define good customer service," "what would you look for in hiring a flight attendant" "who would you choose to have dinner with if it could be anyone in the world" and "

Interview Question – "What's your favorite corporate brand and why?" I was not expecting this and I'm sure I absolutely blew it. All of the other questions related to flight or preparation for the position, so this one caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Portuguese Speaker- Flight Attendant Interview

Portuguese Speaker- Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – After I filled in the online application it took me around 4 weeks to hear back from AA. After the video interview, another 2 weeks or so to hear back from them. I went to Dallas for the face to face interview and due to weather conditions my group was very small comparing to what I've read here (30 people only). The recruiters introduced themselves, then we split in groups of 5 and did the ice beaker. I volunteered to speak for my groups and then passed the chance so others could do the same. After that we were sent in groups of 3 to a more personal interview with two recruiters. That went well too.
After all the groups we're done, they showed us a video about the company. After that they took some of us to sign a paper in which you attest that all your information is true and reliable. Now here things start to warm up: They took some of us to perform a test which consisted in reaching a fire extinguisher located inside a overhead compartment. Following to the test, the ones that had made it so far were taken for fingerprinting and then, another interview. This time just myself and a recruiter. I took the opportunity to actually bond with my recruiter, leave a good impression so that he would remember who I was by the end of the day. That worked out pretty well.
24 hours after I've finished the face to face interview I received the email invitation for the medical and drug test. 5 days later, I was offered the position. Now I'm waiting to know when my training will start.
It was a very good and pleasant experience, no need to feel nervous at all. Just be yourself, be friendly, show them that you're a approachable person, smile, smile, smile. When answering questions, take some time to make eye contact with everybody. Including the other applicants. Find a balance between showing yourself off to the recruiters, without being to cocky or ignoring the people applying with you. When someone is talking, pay attention to them, look at them. Make sure you show you're a good listener and a good team worker.
I saw some people here saying that they don't care if you're not well groomed, that they want people easy to be brain washed. That is not true. Dress conservative, sell your image and your personality. Dress as if the job is already yours. I hope this can help future applicants and I wish you all the best of luck.

Interview Question – Why you decided to become a flight attendant why was AA your choice?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1st round was phone screening, 2nd round was a profit analysis using spreadsheet, final round was onsite where i met 1 VP (behavior & past experience) and 2 finance managers (technical & brain teaser)

Software Consultant Interview

Software Consultant
Dallas, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 4 person all in the same room. The interview last for more than an hour. They asked me to solve the code problem in 30 min with writing tests. If I would have read the "Head first design Patterns" I would have solved that easily .
Mostly questions was asked by the Architect level person rest of the people didn't ask anything. The Architect asked me so many questions on design patterns, JSTL, JSP, Spring - framework, JMS, Core Java, collections. Most of the questions were theoritical and if you would have read books you could pretty much answer most of them.

Interview Question – Coding exercise to complete in 30 min.Which was funny.   View Answer

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!