American Airlines

384 candidate interviews

Home-Based Reservations Representative Interview

Home-Based Reservations Representative
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in August 2013.

Interview Details – -First I received an email letting me know I was invited to complete my application.
I received a call a few months later to come in for an interview
-They sent me an email stating the time to come and what to bring and also attached a list of domestic city codes I needed to study. The email stated I would be interviewed by a panel of American Airline managers.
-The email also stated to arrive 30 minutes prior to interview start time.
-When I arrived it was around 30 other prospective candidates there. We were put in a room to await testing time. Once I finished the test I was instructed to turn it over and wait for a supervisor to come pick the test up. Once the supervisor called my name I went to the front and watched the proctor grade my test. I passed with an 86 which meant I was able to move on to the next phase. Next I was instructed to walk into the lobby where another superviser was there to lead me to the waiting room. Everyone who passed the test was in that room. I sat there for about 30 minutes until another supervisor instructed us to go back into the room we took the test in. They showed us a power point with extensive details of the position I was applying for. Once that was over we were broken up into 5 groups of 5 and interviewed by a panel of 2 American Airline supervisors. A person in my group was not offered a position she was the first to leave. Then they came back in the room and told the other candidates and I congratulations. Finally the last step was to come back the next day and see the nurse to get blood drawn, check blood pressure cholesterol, and presence of narcotics.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. What you know about American airlines and why you want to work for us. That was all one question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Purchasing Analyst Interview

Purchasing Analyst
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2010.

Interview Details – This was the worst interview I've ever had in my life. I was given finance and math problems to answer while the interviewer sat and stared at me while I figured them with a pencil and paper. Normally, when math questions are asked in interviews, you are in a room with a test. Not this interview!

Interview Question – I was asked to answer investment, finance (such as Return on Investment), and math problems. These problems were verbally given and I was expected to answer by working the problems with a paper and pencil while the interviewer sat and stared at me. Extremely unprofessional. Normally, if you are tested, you are given a room, a computer, and a typed test. And, this was for a low level, low paying position.   View Answer

Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor At DFW Interview

Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor At DFW

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in July 2011.

Interview Details – AA hires out the HR function and they call them Talent Services, American Airlines i.e. IBM Business Services
I have yet talked to one person who speaks clear English. They sound like they work from home and really can’t provide any details after they have called you and tell you to call with any questions you might have.
 I’ve had better experiences talking to a wall.

FYI if you live in the SEA, PDX area you can forget about a face to face interview in DFW or TUL unless you are willing to buy a ticket with no discount. This puts you at a big disadvantage right off the bat. You will find this out after you get your e-mail on June 21st stating your interview is scheduled for June 27th. Someone from Talent Services then e-mails you asking for your information for the flight so you respond on the 21st and when you don’t hear anything after days of trying to get hold of that person they call you the night of the 26th telling you that it’s a phone interview.

One would think they might check flights and city pairs before e-mailing you and calling you about flights.

Once the phone interview is complete expect not to hear anything for up to four weeks.

Then you get an e-mail that you are going to the next level, they send you a link to another company who does back ground checks. You follow the directions to a T as stated on all the forms and blocks. Once you hit submit wait for two days and you will start to get e-mail requesting copies of documents because the company can’t verify any of the information you have submitted. Ok fare enough so you send them both scanned copies via e-mail and fax. Wait another two days and you will get the same e-mails again. You send everything again and even call to verify they received the documents if you get someone who speaks clear English you lucky and I would head straight for the lotto and buy a ticket. After six days of sending items back and forth they will tie it all together. Total days sending items back and forth are about 2 weeks.

Now they are ready to fly you out for finger prints keep in mind you still don’t have the job, nor do you get to meet the hiring manager like to the others who got flights and got the opportunity to present nice clean hiring packages and examples of past work.

In short if you live in the Northwest AA is very difficult to get on with. Look at Delta or another airline. I now see why American can’t make a profit i.e. has lost money. I mean the EPS for the last four years if not more have been in the negative. Not the AA I dreamed of as a kid and always wanting to work for.

Go LUV i.e. Southwest

Interview Question – What aircraft have you worked.   View Answer

DFW, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in October of 2013, received an email/call to do a camera interview where they ask you 6 questions recorded - about two weeks later received an email advising me of my progression, took about another two weeks before I got an update profile email to resubmit to next phase of the hiring process. Received an email a month later and a call setting up a f2f group interview, assessment day as it's called, I'm not going to elaborate too much on this, as it's the same as many other people on here.. but I will tell you, just be yourself and breath, it's important that you don't look too nervous, show some personality, you're going to love it... I would say the interview process is hard depending on your ability to adjust and keep calm in all the excitement of being there, ya know?

They'll have you do a lot of things, Fingerprinting (background), DOT paperwork, reach test, medical exam, Language test, agility test, but they're there for you every step of the way, they'll answer all questions and are very patient, AWESOME Team they have!

Interview Question – Name a time you were proud of something you did within your company or team   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details – Much like described by other candidates

Interview Question – How I would handle working in a team environment, lots of scenario questions. Asking over and over how i would handle working with difficult customers in various fashions. Seemed easy enough but no offer. Have now been offered at another major airline, don't know if its worth the time and energy.   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines in October 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Submitted application online
2. Received an email inviting me to take an online assessment (video interview) about a week later. About 6 customer service related questions. Answer honestly, answered are timed.
3. 1 week later, received email to update application.
4. 2 weeks later, got a phone call from my recruiter inviting me to a face to face interview in Dallas. AA will fly you to the interview. I flew in the morning of the interview, stayed the night and flew home the next day (if you are asked to stay overnight you will be responsible for paying for the hotel accommodations).
 - As soon as you arrive at the training center where the interview is held, you are being watched. Be polite to anyone you encounter and smile, smile, smile!
  - You will be given an essay prompt to write while everyone is being checked in and passports are being collected. Mingle with the other candidates, make friends, and show off your personality. There were about 30 other people in my interview group.
  - Group Activity: you work with about 4 or 5 other people to complete the task. This is used as a fun ice breaker, but keep in mind that the recruiters are taking notes every step of the way. Be engaging with your group and volunteer to take a leadership role in the task (speaker, writer etc.) Each group will stand up to introduce themselves one by one. Smile and show your personality, but don't be phony!
  - Small group interview. You will broken up into a new small group of about 5 and just your group will go to a separate room to answer questions before a panel of 2 or 3 recruiters. I chose to sit in the first seat and answer first to help me stand out (although I am a little shy and I was VERY nervous) They know everyone is nervous, so don't let it get the best of you and do your best! Be sincere!! Customer service related questions about how you have handled certain situations, why you want to work for the company, tell about yourself etc. (We were asked 5-7 questions)
  - Reunited with the big group to watch a powerpoint presentation about the company and question and answer
  - Recruiters will return and call everyone out individually to "ask any further questions". I was told that I was going into another room to take fingerprints and wait for a one-on-one interview (if you make it to this point, it is GOOD; I did not see more than half of the group again after this point). I got my fingerprints taken, and did a reach test to make sure you could reach far enough into an overhead compartment. My one-on-one interview was more relaxed and asked basic questions like: "tell me about yourself, how do you feel about relocating etc.". Don't get too comfortable in the one-on-one, nothing is set in stone until you receive a training date..I have heard some people making it to the one-on-one, but later receiving a Thanks but No Thanks because they didn't impress the recruiter!
5. The next day before I even landed at home, I got my email that I was moving forward! (pending background check and medical exam)
6. Received DOT forms a few days later, and it took about 3 weeks for them to clear. (this is a background check for job history)
7. Singed my Conditional Job Offer and scheduled for Medical Exam a few days later
8. Medical Exam
  - 2 drug tests
  - Blood work and asked about medical history
  - Hearing test
  - Eye test
  - Agility test (bending and reaching tests, lifting up to 60 lbs, pushing and pulling tests to see how strong you are) Your heart rate is monitored the entire time so breath normally and don't get too nervous so i remains at a normal rate. It is hard to determine how you did, and they won;t really give you feedback, but it is not very difficult to pass the agility (I don't work out regularly or anything like that, so if i did well, you will be fine!)
  - My medical clearance had a minor setback because my white blood cell count was a little o the high side (sinus infection) BUT the medical department will work with you if something is off and will allow you to send a note from you doctor stating that you are in good health and able to perform job functions. Some people also were held up because of anemia, but don't get discouraged, you can still be cleared it will just take a little longer!
9. Finally received medical clearance after about 3 weeks (it could take as little as 2 days if you don't run into the same situation I did). Waiting for official training date.

Interview Question – Some "typical" interview questions, and some that really make you think on your toes...prepare for any type of question!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation of contract, so do your research to make sure that this job will suit your lifestyle!

MBA Intern Interview

MBA Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – why american airlines? why this industry? what you know of the industry. In short you should know everything about how airline industry works

Interview Question – Impact in next 10 years   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online through the American Airlines Careers website on Oct.7 received an email on Oct.8 to complete the online assesment. Oct.29 received another email and a phone call to complete online video interview, I was a little confused on how this worked and i had internet issues but had to submit my video, you can not retake any questions. You are asked behavioral questions, they repeat the question 2 times and then you are given 2 minutes to think about your answer and then you 3 minutes to answer. A total of 5 to 6 questions were asked. Since there was an error with my video interview I was called back and able to take a 2nd video interview which succesfully went through the 2nd time. Recieved the next email on Nov.14 to update my application, just a few minor assesment questions and then submit all your new info if it needs to be updated. Nov. 18 recieved phone call from American Airlines that invited my to Dallas DFW for Assessment Day Interview on Dec. 9th at 1:30pm and gave me all the information i needed, Now im just waiting for my interview next Monday!!! Hope this helped someone, this websight has helped me tremendously, good luck and happy flying to all!

Interview Question – Describe a time where you worked as a team, and what makes working as a team great?
Describe a time when you had a customer left unsatisfied, how did you handle the situation?
Why do you want to work for American Airlines
  Answer Question

DFW, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2009.

Interview Details – Initial contact was letter, followed by a group interview at AA HQ... then a one on one interview during the same visit. If you were offered the job they told you after your one on one, but if not you were given an exit interview

Interview Question – Give an example of when you received outstanding customer service   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation as a flight attendant

Revenue Analyst Interview

Revenue Analyst
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – I thought the interview went well, but there were a few tricky questions during the process that would take someone who has not worked in the industry by surprise. They say that previous knowledge of the airline industry doesn't matter, but a lot of the questions they ask are very industry specific and difficult to answer well if you don't have a good bit of knowledge on the subject. Other than that it went well, just make sure you put a lot of thought into how you go about answering the technical questions. The purpose more than anything else is to see how well you can solve problems.

Interview Question – How would you go about analyzing the affects of the government shutdown on airline revenues?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines interview questions and advice. All 384 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Airlines employees and interview candidates.