American Airlines

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Getting the Interview

309 candidate interviews

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – So far the process has taken a little over three months. Flying out to do my F2F this Thursday. Praying!

Interview Question – I found the questions to be standard, common sense questions.   Answer Question

Trainee Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – I applied around March 23 or 24. I received an email inviting me for a video interview a few days later on March 26. I took the video interview Friday March 28. At this time , today is April 10, I have not heard anything back. Its been about 8 business days now. I have seen others via social media who were offered positions very recently, and they had applied as early as October of last year. The training class I have heard about the most begins June 2. I do not have my passport at this point.

Interview Question – The questions are personality and customer service centered. They want to know about YOU and YOUR experiences. The hardest question was to explain your most difficult experience working in a group setting. Make sure you have an example considering you will be working in a group setting with other flight attendants and this line up will vary often.   Answer Question

FLIGHT ATTENDANT AAL Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for Flight Attendant in March. Received email a few days later for video interview, which I did April 2nd.
There is an assessment which I did the next day after I applied. Currently, I am waiting for the next step. I dressed as though I was sitting in front of someone. My makeup and hair nicely done.
The questions were just as mention in another post. I also smiled through the whole video

Interview Question – I can't recall any questions being difficult. But I was nervous ... they do ask what you know about the company.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in late October on the American Airlines website. I received a pretty quick response for me to move forward to the next step which was a personality test and then video interview. I was not that confident in my webcam interview because you are looking at yourself when speaking. However, 3 days or so later I received an email inviting me to the head quarters for the assessment day interview. when I went I wore slacks, heels, and a blazer. When going in for the assessment interview, look sharp and professional. You will meet everyone in a room to sign in. Do not forget passport, and license along with anything else they say to bring. It is important to follow directions. After we sign in we are taken to a larger room and placed in groups. We did a group activity and introduced ourselves to everyone. The trainers are watching how you interact with everyone and how comfortable you are. I didn't notice them watching until someone mentioned that that is what they were doing. After the group activity, they take 5 to 6 people into separate rooms and have the group interview. I have never done a group interview but to my surprise I really felt comfortable and enjoyed it. You will be nervous but honestly, all you can do is be yourself. Think of your answers before you speak. They are taking notes during the interview and while you are talking. Benefits of a group interview is there are more people to make eye contact with. Believe in your answers and have confidence. After the group interview we all head back to the big room where the group activity took place and you watch a video. When that is done they will start taking you out one by one. I was taken to a room for a one on one and finger prints. Within the next week I received an email to fill out my back ground forms and dot paper work which I had three days to send those back. I sent those Nov. 14th. After that I did not hear anything back for months! I would email once a month to follow up on the process. Four months later I received my offer letter and appointment to take my medical exam. I think the wait took long due to the holidays and the new year. I took my medical exam about two weeks ago and I received an email that I cleared my exam and now I am waiting on the call that will tell me when I start my training! This hiring process is long and you need to have patience Do not quit your job until you have training dates set. Good luck to everyone!

Interview Question – Tell a time when you needed to take control of a situation.   View Answer

Bi-lingual Flight Attendant Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – One word of advice here is to really rest before this interview. I think that this was one of my errors- flying in the same day. If you can- fly in the night before- get a hotel and really rest. I was up 12 hours even before my interview started so I was exhausted by the time I got there. Big mistake!
When you arrive- start being social - strike up a conversation and really get engaged. I made the mistake of arriving too early with another candidate and we went out to the terrace to watch what looked like a graduation of the FA's outside. Big mistake! I really needed to have stayed in the lobby and mingled with the other hopefuls. When I came back to the meeting room (on time), the recruiter said "of you came back" as if to say- why wasn't I in the lobby with everyone else.
During the group exercise they are watching everything so you need to be super bubbly and work really well with the others. Also made a mistake here when I was asked a question- I didn't hear the recruiters instruction. Again, spaced out because I was really tired. I saw other people do the same as I and made mistakes trying to follow the group exercise instructions- they all came on the bus back to the airport- so pay attention!!!
Next was the group interview- also extremely strange to get to hear people's answers. This may be another mistake I made- I tried too hard to impress them with accolades from my old job. They are really there to hear your customer service experience so make it about the customer. Don't list awards or other achievements. I listed a certification they had never even heard of- so guess what- they didn't care because they couldn't relate- they had no idea what it was!! When asked what my biggest accomplishment was- I should have listed an experience with the customer and how happy I made them. I really don't think they want to know how you saved the company money or anything grand- again you are going in for a flight attendant position- not to be CEO. This portion of the interview was very odd because I thought some of the people there answered very well and were going to be picked. I was wrong again- everyone from my group interview got sent home early. I think they are really looking for good looking 21 year olds who have just enough work experience, but who are not very accomplished. I worked for a fortune 500 company for 14 years and have a masters degree- I really think, in hindsight, that I came off way too accomplished and I tried to impress them with those accolades. They are looking for young, good-looking people who are not going to ask questions. There was a portion at the end where they take questions- look out! Don't ask things that will give you away as someone who may not like training- a fellow asked if he would be able to leave on the weekends to see his family and they said absolutely not- no one can leave training for any reason. He was not picked and I think this had something to do with it. I also mentioned that I am married and that I live in a small town. Big mistake! Don't talk about your family or anything that ties you anywhere. A huge emphasis was placed on relocation, how mobile you have to be, and that you can be away from your home for up to 6 days. Even though I have no problem moving to another city at a moments notice- they didn't know that. I think when I mentioned I was married that was a huge flag for them. Again, I really think they are looking for cute 21 year olds with no family or attachments to re-build their workforce. AA is going through a huge overhaul and they need lots of new attendants. If you have a family- don't mention them and don't ask any questions about the relocation process- it makes it look like you are worried. For anyone who is wondering- I kept my mouth shut during the questioning, but watched other people stick their shoe in the mud. For the record I am 33 but I look 25 (slim, tall, bla bla bla). The only reason why I am mentioning age here is that NONE of the older candidates got picked, but the cute 22 year old blondes did. I knew that looking young and "pretty" was a huge deal- so look the part. I am not judging AA for choosing this way as it's obvious that they want to rebuild their workforce with younger people who will be there a long time- lifers.
My biggest advice here is to be social, be very bubbly, don't mention your family or anything tying you to where you live. Make all of your answers relate to customer service and how well you have provided service to clients- don't go on about awards and other stuff not about helping the customer. This is unlike any interview you have been on- you actually need to make friends here and make sure the recruiters see you doing this. Again, if you don't fit the mold of the 20 something carefree gal- don't be disappointed if you are not chosen. Hope this helps!

Interview Question – If you could be any super hero, which would it be?   Answer Question

Station Agent Interview

College Station, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Was called a week later for an interview scheduled for the next week. It was group interview style; i interviewed with three other individuals. They had an additional group interview later that day for different individuals. I was called 2 days later letting me know that I was not hired but they were still interested. Very positive experience.

Interview Question – Not the most difficult but the most unexpected question asked was, "If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?"   Answer Question

Interviewed at American Airlines

Interview Details – I have just made it to the video interview and am waiting to hear. The previous reviews on here were very helpful!

Interview Question – Tell us about a difficult team experience? What made it challenging?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – Thanks to everyone who post on this blog. The advise given is right on point. The video interview was intimidating at first. But after the first question I was able to relax. What helped me to get comfortable and stay focused, was the fact that I was dressed as if I was I face to face with the interviewer.

Interview Question – Non of the questions were particular difficult.   Answer Question

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – Just been through the video interview & it's not that hard

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applies with AA and received and invitation for a video interview. A few weeks after, I received an invitation to fly to DFW to continue the interview process. While at the AA training center, I was impressed with the facilities. The process was very seamless and comfortable. There was a group activity, information about the company and the job. After some were called out and not seen again, those of us left I know for sure received 1 on 1 interviews, then our fingerprints were taken. Received an official offer letter through email and completed DOT paperwork. Then received docs to complete on line. Still have to take health and drug exam, but have received an offer to work for another airline. Not sure what i'm going to do yet.

Interview Question – Questions not difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Airlines interview questions and advice. All 309 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Airlines employees and interview candidates.