American Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

interviewed at American Airlines in July 2014.

I applied in may, got an email in July saying I was selected to interview and selected one if the listed day. They flew me to Dallas the day before - you have to fly in before although I did see that they add some exceptions to this, if you come the du before you pay for your accommodations. They have preselected hotels with group rates and they pick you up from the airport and drop you off at the interview location. When u get there they have everyone sit and fill out some paperwork. Our group was surprisingly small only about 10 people. We were all very social and by the end of the day exchanged numbers n emails so we were luck to be in our group - I saw a later group of about 30- after paperwork was complete we went to another room to hear a "presentation" which was pretty much information about the company pay and benefits.. After that, the same person conducted the interview, there were 3 questions we all answered and then we read a small flight attendant script. The questions were simple, what are u currently doing, what would u do to help a first time nervous flyer. After that we went to a room and waited for one in one interviews- they interview all of us, I don't know if they always do that, or if it was because our Group was so small, we did also gave great candidates though- during the one on one the interviewer asked about 6 questions, situation based. After I was able to ask questions. Then the recruiter said is be a good fit, I was finger printed and went to give pee the same day. In my group 7 of the 10 were selected

Nonnegotiable pay is 18 and change

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

I got the interview through campus recruiting. There were three rounds interviews. For the first round interview, most questions were accounting and finance technique questions. Those questions were also related to airline industry. The questions were pretty straight forward, especially for people who have finance background. All questions were fair, as long as you are prepared.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at American Airlines in August 2013.

Initial interview by phone followed by next day face to face interview. Very pleasant VP the environment seemed professional. 2nd face to face interview with team I thought it went OK no good vibe from team one of them was completely out of it they asked a lot of the same questions I had already answered with the VP.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines.

Had an hour long group interview and they told us they will make a decision weather to offer the job to someone or call us back for a second interview next week. Waited for 2 weeks when they decided we need to come in for a second. The second was 2 hour long in a freezing dinning room. To do a computer test by typing up a word document, basic excel and creating a power point slide. Waste of time!

Interview Questions
    • 1. Analyzing their quarterly balance sheet and talk about as many things as possible.
      2. Benefit of a credit unions compared to banks
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Applied the last week of April, got an email and a call for an online video interview a few days later. I got a call about three weeks later from AA asking if I would be interested in flying out to DFW for a face - to - face interview. They covered the flight, but I had to pay for a hotel in TX after the interview because they could not get me back out that day. Everyone was very friendly and really helped put me at ease. There were about seven people total who interviewed my group of about 25. All of the interviewees were very friendly also. We broke off just to groups of about five and did an activity where we drew a circle and wrote three things we had in common and then each drew a line outside the circle and wrote one thing unique about ourselves. Then we sp lo it off into different groups again and did group interviews. The questions were things like "define good customer service," "what would you look for in hiring a flight attendant" "who would you choose to have dinner with if it could be anyone in the world" and "

Interview Questions
    • "What's your favorite corporate brand and why?" I was not expecting this and I'm sure I absolutely blew it. All of the other questions related to flight or preparation for the position, so this one caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in June 2014.

Ok so I was flown out to dallas international airport Yesterday which was June 17'th for a group interview. Upon arrival to the airport I went to the shuttle area as per the instructions in the email. We took a van with the name arias on it to the "AA" training camp which is about 10 minutes away from the airport. We first went into a room where you are required to fill out a form with basic information and then you give your passport to the host of the interview. They hold on to it till the end of the day. After everyone completes their forms then you move to a larger room where you sit in groups of 5 or 6. There will be roughly 32 of you. In this room you do fun activities to introduce yourself and get to know others around you. Standing in the back of the room is a panel of people. They are there taking notes about every individual. After about an hour of group activities the panel of people returns to the room and each one of them calls either 5 or 6 individuals with them to go for group interviews. You go to your own room. In this room another person is waiting. They are there to assist the original interviewer in taking notes. For the first question they will pick which individuals will answer first then you will answer working your way through the line. If you end up being last don't feel like you have ran out of answers simply act like nobody else was there and speak from your heart. They want to hear the truth not a script. Next they will ask one question and then who ever is ready to answer will stand up and give their answer. The last question requires you to think on your feet. Each person is given a card upside down with a question and a number you are not allowed to peek at your card. When you feel ready you stand up, turn your card over, read the question and answer the question within 30 seconds. Just answer truthfully and everything will be fine. After all the questions you will return to the group area where you will wait for your name to be called into another room. Not everyone gets to go to the other room. For some this is the bed of the road. In the next room they call you one on one to go and get fingerprints taken and after that you go and do a one on one interview. The questions they ask for the one on one are standard questions and when you are done you are told that you will be given an answer within 2 weeks. This morning I woke up and checked my email and couldn't believe that I had already received an email saying that once my fingerprints and background are clear that I can be scheduled for a physical and upon completion of my physical I will be scheduled for the 7 weeks of training. The process was definitely Intense but everyone was so nice and professional. It was one of the best interviews I have ever experienced.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself and what you are currently doing and if you were to be the one interviewing people what would you be looking for.   Answer Question
    • What was your proudest moment   Answer Question
    • If you were to just meet someone what would you think their first reaction of you would be.   Answer Question
    • There were many other questions that were asked but this is just an idea of some of the things to expect. Good luck.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in May 2013.

1st round was phone screening, 2nd round was a profit analysis using spreadsheet, final round was onsite where i met 1 VP (behavior & past experience) and 2 finance managers (technical & brain teaser)

Interview Questions
    • how would you describe the subprime crisis to a 13 years old?   Answer Question
    • what kind investment you will make if you have $10,000?   Answer Question

Portuguese Speaker- Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

After I filled in the online application it took me around 4 weeks to hear back from AA. After the video interview, another 2 weeks or so to hear back from them. I went to Dallas for the face to face interview and due to weather conditions my group was very small comparing to what I've read here (30 people only). The recruiters introduced themselves, then we split in groups of 5 and did the ice beaker. I volunteered to speak for my groups and then passed the chance so others could do the same. After that we were sent in groups of 3 to a more personal interview with two recruiters. That went well too.
    After all the groups we're done, they showed us a video about the company. After that they took some of us to sign a paper in which you attest that all your information is true and reliable. Now here things start to warm up: They took some of us to perform a test which consisted in reaching a fire extinguisher located inside a overhead compartment. Following to the test, the ones that had made it so far were taken for fingerprinting and then, another interview. This time just myself and a recruiter. I took the opportunity to actually bond with my recruiter, leave a good impression so that he would remember who I was by the end of the day. That worked out pretty well.
    24 hours after I've finished the face to face interview I received the email invitation for the medical and drug test. 5 days later, I was offered the position. Now I'm waiting to know when my training will start.
    It was a very good and pleasant experience, no need to feel nervous at all. Just be yourself, be friendly, show them that you're a approachable person, smile, smile, smile. When answering questions, take some time to make eye contact with everybody. Including the other applicants. Find a balance between showing yourself off to the recruiters, without being to cocky or ignoring the people applying with you. When someone is talking, pay attention to them, look at them. Make sure you show you're a good listener and a good team worker.
    I saw some people here saying that they don't care if you're not well groomed, that they want people easy to be brain washed. That is not true. Dress conservative, sell your image and your personality. Dress as if the job is already yours. I hope this can help future applicants and I wish you all the best of luck.

Interview Questions
    • Why you decided to become a flight attendant why was AA your choice?   Answer Question

Software Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at American Airlines.

Interviewed with 4 person all in the same room. The interview last for more than an hour. They asked me to solve the code problem in 30 min with writing tests. If I would have read the "Head first design Patterns" I would have solved that easily .
    Mostly questions was asked by the Architect level person rest of the people didn't ask anything. The Architect asked me so many questions on design patterns, JSTL, JSP, Spring - framework, JMS, Core Java, collections. Most of the questions were theoritical and if you would have read books you could pretty much answer most of them.

Interview Questions
    • Coding exercise to complete in 30 min.Which was funny.   View Answer

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

interviewed at American Airlines in June 2011.

I first applied online on January 21st, 2014. Recieved an email Feb. 11th inviting me to the video interview. Completed the video interview. You can find the exact questions by searching on this forum. There are 6 questions, It is automated and you have 3 minutes to record each question. On Feb. 24th I was sent an email inviting me to update my application online. On Feb. 28th I recieved an email stating there was overwhelming interest in the position and that I would receive a response in the following months. I didn't hear anything again until May 13,2014 stating again that there was overwhelming interest and thanking me for my patience. On May 21st I received an email congratulating me on being picked for the Face to Face interview. I spoke to a recruiter who set up an interview time for me and sent me an email with my flight itinerary provided by American Airlines a couple days later. My interview was set up for June 5, 2014. As people have explained when you arrive to the conference center you check in you are greeted and escorted into a waiting room (in my room there were about 30 individuals total and we just waited). Once everyone was checked in we were escorted into a room with 5 tables with 5 chairs at each table. People were free to choose their seats. There are 5 recruiters standing in the back of the room they introduce themselves and start taking notes on everything you do. We began with an icebreaker where each table was instructed to do the "Who's Who" game. You draw a big circle on a large piece of paper, you along with your team members are instructed to together find out three things you have in common with each other and write them in the circle, then on the outside of the circle each person writes something unique about themselves that nobody would ever guess by looking at them. After each group goes up and presents the things they have in common the rest of the room tries to guess what unique quality applies to what person. It was fun. Make sure to SMILE A LOT. Work with your team, be yourself and over everything be friendly and attentive. Word of advice, ladies wear your hair in a ponytail or bun. Pencil skirt, blouse, nude hose and appropriate high heels. Trust me! After the group excercise each of the recruiters selected 5 individuals and took them to separate rooms. You will sit in a row of five chairs with 2 recruiters in front of you. If you sit in the first seat closest to the door you will be chosen to answer questions first so be prepared. They ask different questions during the group interview and each person has a chance to answer. Some examples

1. What was your greatest accomplishment in your job?
    2. What does customer service mean to you?
    3. How do you provide exceptional service?
    4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?

Then each person is given a blue notecard with a question on the back. You cannot look at the question. They ask you to stand up one by one flip over your card and answer your question in less than 30 seconds. I don't remember my question now; I was so nervous. But they ask things like, if you could have dinner with any person in the world who would it be and why?

Word of advice just think of influential people you look up to. And think about times during work that you have gone above and beyond for a customer.

Once the group interview is complete you are taken back to the initial room with your group to watch a slides how explaining the benefits of being a flight attendant with American Airlines. After the recruiters come in and start calling people for one on one interviews. I was the 5th person called. Was taken to a room with ten others to fill out a fingerprint authorization form. I was fingerprinted, did a reach test and was talked to one on one by one of the recruiters who asked me a few questions.

1. Do you have any tattoos or piercings that are visible?
    2. Are you ok with wearing a uniform?
    3. What other language a do you speak? (I applied as a bilingual attendant)
    4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
    5. What was your proudest moment in your current position?
    6. Are you willing to relocate?

I do not know what happened with the other 20 people that were part of the entire group is only saw 10 of us be fingerprinted and interviewed. We were each told we would receive an email within 2 weeks stating if we got the job. I just interviewed and am waiting on an email. Hopefully I will get an offer :)

Sorry for the long explanation. Hope this helps