American Airlines

Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

I submitted my resume through campus recruiting and got a call a few weeks later asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes, included mostly behavioral questions and "walk me through your resume" and "what are you most proud of". The phone interview was followed by an email with a "test" with probability type questions and it had to be sent back within 30 minutes.

About a week later I got another call offering a second round interview at headquarters in Fort Worth. They scheduled me to fly out early in the morning and land at DFW by 8am where I was met by a host for the day who picked me up and brought me to the office. After getting visitors' badges, several other candidates and I had a brief meeting with a manager about the RM department, then we each had 3 back-to-back 45 minute interviews with different people. After all of the candidates finished their interviews, AA hosted a lunch for us at a Mexican restaurant with all of the hosts and a few managers. I was on a flight back home by 3pm. Other candidates from out of state were put up in hotels for the night before and also flew home after the lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Prioritize these five situations according to which one you would want to deal with as soon as possible to the ones that could be dealt with later.
      a. Southwest offers 10% discount on all fares.
      b. United launches new route from Salt Lake City to *some city* in Montana.
      c. AirTran lowers fares for college students traveling to Florida in March.
      d. You're giving a presentation to your VP in 1 hour and haven't started preparing.
      e. United, AirTran, and Southwest all increase prices on fares for 3 different routes that AA also flies.
        View Answers (2)
    I wasn't able to negotiate during my verbal acceptance. I asked if the salary was flexible and the hiring manager said that "HR gives us this number to offer candidates". Former employee also told me that the pay structure was firm. Might try to negotiate again when signing written offer.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

I applied on 29th Oct. After 2 days, I recieved a mail to take a personality test. 1 or 2days later, I was invited to take a video interview. It seemed like so fast and I was really happy and excited.

I did homework before taking a video interview. The questions for my interview were just like in this review. It helped me a lot.

Thank you everyone who shared your own experience!

But the thing is..from all reviews, I saw they usually asked 6 questions on a video interview. For me, I was given 5 questions. Actually, when I finished answering the 5th question, I saw the words in a box like "One moment..blah blah~" And then It suddenly turned out to a preperation mode for the next recording.

I felt a bit confused whether I finished the privious question or not. I just tried to be calm and recorded the same answer that I just finished. After interview, I immediately e mailed to the American Airlines Talent Services. I haven't heard anything yet.

I am not sure it was a technical problem so the 6th question didn't come through in audio or I was given 5 questions. just waiting for them.

Still it was a great experience and I felt really appriciated for American Airlines's fast interview process.

Hope I could hear soon!

Interview Questions
    • It is hard to recall the question. but it was something about employee culture.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

First round is a phone interview, second round is a firm visit and face-to-face interviews for several rounds, you will talk to other business analysts and some higher level managers. There will also be group panel interviews depend on the specific situation.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Small case question: American Airlines and another air flight company both have a regular flight from SF to NY, one day the competitor suddenly dropped the price, should AA match the price? Why?
      2. Now that the airline market demand is smaller than supply, what measures can AA take to improve the competitiveness?
        Answer Question

Bilingual Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

Applied online in May. A few weeks later I got a email to fill out more information and do a video interview (in June). I thought nothing came of it but then I got an email in September to do a f2f interview in Dallas. I did the interview in October, they took my fingerprints and did the reach test. I later was sent an email to do the foreign language exams(in early November). I thought I had failed them but then received an offer of employment a few days ago its conditional after the drug test and DOJ is cleared.

Interview Questions
    • Spanish language exam: situation where you spill hot coffee on a customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

Everything in the process is the same as described. Everyone was friendly and laid back. I succeed and was taking for fingerprinting and they told me I'll hear from them. A week later they said I funny qualify. No further explication and nothing else. Disappointed!

Interview Questions
    • What would be the hardest and being a flight attendant.   Answer Question

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Airlines in October 2014.

Applied through college website, was contacted after about 2-3 weeks to schedule a phone interview. The interview consisted of walking through the resume, elaborating on some of the experiences, and answering scripted questions. After the interview, took a 30-minute test which consisted of basic probability / statistics questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

First interview went well, it consisted of a 30 min test (basic probability) and a 30 min behavioral interview. They just asked basic questions, about why I wanted to work for the company and just went over my resume. Second interview is in the headquarters in Fort Worth tomorrow.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines.

After applying online, it took me about 3 month to get a response. They called me, and asked me to complete a "Video Interview" within certain amount of time. I completed mine the same day, and received an email about 7-10 days stating I have passed the first part of the interview process.
    After that, they asked me to update an application, and I was invited to Fort Worth TX.

HBR Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines.

applied online received an email a week later for a phone interview,on the phone sadly to say its just someone reading you the interview questions...then i received another email for step2 which was to take the city code test. if u pass the test they send you to f2f, its a group interview so just tell them what u know,oh when they ask u the question on why u want to be HBR, dont tell them to be at home, that is not what they want to hear......

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines.

I want to share my own painful experience here and hope nobody will have the same mistake like me again.
    I submitted my online application in May, got a telephone interview, and was schedule a f2f interview in July.

I saw someone recommend to fly in the night before the interview so you can have a night rest, so I did. They scheduled me a flight that arrived DFW at 11:30 pm, and my interview was in the next morning. However, when I arrived the airport at the late night, I found out that they lost my luggage, my interview materials, my make-ups and high heels were all in the luggage. Their luggage guy was very rude to me and said no one knows when my luggage will arrive. Sadly I went to my hotel without anything with me, it was 1am already, and thought that I couldn't make it to the interview tomorrow. I went to the airport in the early morning, and got my luggage, I changed my clothes and did make-ups and everything in the airport, and made it to the interview in the last minute.

The interview was exactly the same as what other people had shared here. At the end I got my fingerprinted, and later that day I got their email saying that I have advanced. I was so happy! I thought that I had passed the most difficult part, the f2f interview!! The week after they kept sending me different emails. I faxed my background check. And they emailed my CJO to read and sign, which made me think that I will get this job for sure.

I didn't have a job at that time, and the time I happened got a job offer from another airline company. AA told me my training date will probably starts in October, so I think it would be great if I work for another company first while waiting for AA's offer. However, AA schedule me a language test which happened on the same day as my first day at another company. I called both AA and the company asking if either of them could change the date, but no. And that company said that, if I couldn't make it to the first day at work, I will lose the job. I decided that AA is a better company to work for, so I declined that company's job offer to make it to AA's language test.

And I passed the language test, and was schedule a medical exam on 7/30. However, they canceled my my medical date last minute, and said that maybe will schedule me again by the end of August. Few days later another lady contacted me and asked if I am available to start the training on 8/18, if my medical is clear. I said I am available, but I haven't had the exam yet. So they scheduled me a medical exam few days after. I was so excited, because suddenly I will go to Dallas for training soon, and after training I will probably be based in Dallas! I met up with my friends and relatives here and said good-bye to them. And started to plan about moving, and thought about having a new life in Dallas.

I had my medical exam on 8/6. On 8/11, I got a "rescind offer" email saying that I didn't pass their medical exam. I was totally shocked. The email was very short, didn't explain anything, if you want to know additional information about why you didn't pass, you have to fax them a request, which I did shortly after the email. It's the third day now and I haven't gotten anything from them.

My medical exam was strangely short. I only spent 1.5 hours for exam. 30 minutes for blood pressure, heart rate and urine, and 40 mins for physical ability test. My medical exam was 2:30 pm and they scheduled me the flight at 5pm back home, so my test was hurry through and I literally ran to the airport to catch the flight.

I just can't believe that after going through so many procedures, spending so much time flying there and back, and they just turned me down with such a short email, and stop talking to me. I am very healthy and I am sure I am able to do those physical tasks onboard.

Before the interview, I had read lots of people's posts here, but I didn't see anybody say that they didn't pass the medical exam, so I didn't expect this tragedy happened to me. But I'm not the only one.
    From my awful experience, my suggestions are, don't believe that you are going to Dallas until you clear your medical (even though you think you are physically healthy!) And don't sacrifice other job opportunities for them, it doesn't worth it. I am very disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • I never thought that medical exam is the one that turns me down, and I even didn't know why I didn't pass it.   Answer Question