American Airlines

Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.8

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

interviewed at American Airlines in June 2011.

I first applied online on January 21st, 2014. Recieved an email Feb. 11th inviting me to the video interview. Completed the video interview. You can find the exact questions by searching on this forum. There are 6 questions, It is automated and you have 3 minutes to record each question. On Feb. 24th I was sent an email inviting me to update my application online. On Feb. 28th I recieved an email stating there was overwhelming interest in the position and that I would receive a response in the following months. I didn't hear anything again until May 13,2014 stating again that there was overwhelming interest and thanking me for my patience. On May 21st I received an email congratulating me on being picked for the Face to Face interview. I spoke to a recruiter who set up an interview time for me and sent me an email with my flight itinerary provided by American Airlines a couple days later. My interview was set up for June 5, 2014. As people have explained when you arrive to the conference center you check in you are greeted and escorted into a waiting room (in my room there were about 30 individuals total and we just waited). Once everyone was checked in we were escorted into a room with 5 tables with 5 chairs at each table. People were free to choose their seats. There are 5 recruiters standing in the back of the room they introduce themselves and start taking notes on everything you do. We began with an icebreaker where each table was instructed to do the "Who's Who" game. You draw a big circle on a large piece of paper, you along with your team members are instructed to together find out three things you have in common with each other and write them in the circle, then on the outside of the circle each person writes something unique about themselves that nobody would ever guess by looking at them. After each group goes up and presents the things they have in common the rest of the room tries to guess what unique quality applies to what person. It was fun. Make sure to SMILE A LOT. Work with your team, be yourself and over everything be friendly and attentive. Word of advice, ladies wear your hair in a ponytail or bun. Pencil skirt, blouse, nude hose and appropriate high heels. Trust me! After the group excercise each of the recruiters selected 5 individuals and took them to separate rooms. You will sit in a row of five chairs with 2 recruiters in front of you. If you sit in the first seat closest to the door you will be chosen to answer questions first so be prepared. They ask different questions during the group interview and each person has a chance to answer. Some examples

1. What was your greatest accomplishment in your job?
    2. What does customer service mean to you?
    3. How do you provide exceptional service?
    4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?

Then each person is given a blue notecard with a question on the back. You cannot look at the question. They ask you to stand up one by one flip over your card and answer your question in less than 30 seconds. I don't remember my question now; I was so nervous. But they ask things like, if you could have dinner with any person in the world who would it be and why?

Word of advice just think of influential people you look up to. And think about times during work that you have gone above and beyond for a customer.

Once the group interview is complete you are taken back to the initial room with your group to watch a slides how explaining the benefits of being a flight attendant with American Airlines. After the recruiters come in and start calling people for one on one interviews. I was the 5th person called. Was taken to a room with ten others to fill out a fingerprint authorization form. I was fingerprinted, did a reach test and was talked to one on one by one of the recruiters who asked me a few questions.

1. Do you have any tattoos or piercings that are visible?
    2. Are you ok with wearing a uniform?
    3. What other language a do you speak? (I applied as a bilingual attendant)
    4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
    5. What was your proudest moment in your current position?
    6. Are you willing to relocate?

I do not know what happened with the other 20 people that were part of the entire group is only saw 10 of us be fingerprinted and interviewed. We were each told we would receive an email within 2 weeks stating if we got the job. I just interviewed and am waiting on an email. Hopefully I will get an offer :)

Sorry for the long explanation. Hope this helps

Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

Applied through university - cleared the 1st round, went to the 2nd round which was a case study analysis. The last round is an onsite at Dallas. The 1st round has case based questions, the second round is case study analysis on the airline industry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines in December 2013.

Much like described by other candidates

Interview Questions
    • How I would handle working in a team environment, lots of scenario questions. Asking over and over how i would handle working with difficult customers in various fashions. Seemed easy enough but no offer. Have now been offered at another major airline, don't know if its worth the time and energy.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2013.

1. Submitted application online
    2. Received an email inviting me to take an online assessment (video interview) about a week later. About 6 customer service related questions. Answer honestly, answered are timed.
    3. 1 week later, received email to update application.
    4. 2 weeks later, got a phone call from my recruiter inviting me to a face to face interview in Dallas. AA will fly you to the interview. I flew in the morning of the interview, stayed the night and flew home the next day (if you are asked to stay overnight you will be responsible for paying for the hotel accommodations).
     - As soon as you arrive at the training center where the interview is held, you are being watched. Be polite to anyone you encounter and smile, smile, smile!
      - You will be given an essay prompt to write while everyone is being checked in and passports are being collected. Mingle with the other candidates, make friends, and show off your personality. There were about 30 other people in my interview group.
      - Group Activity: you work with about 4 or 5 other people to complete the task. This is used as a fun ice breaker, but keep in mind that the recruiters are taking notes every step of the way. Be engaging with your group and volunteer to take a leadership role in the task (speaker, writer etc.) Each group will stand up to introduce themselves one by one. Smile and show your personality, but don't be phony!
      - Small group interview. You will broken up into a new small group of about 5 and just your group will go to a separate room to answer questions before a panel of 2 or 3 recruiters. I chose to sit in the first seat and answer first to help me stand out (although I am a little shy and I was VERY nervous) They know everyone is nervous, so don't let it get the best of you and do your best! Be sincere!! Customer service related questions about how you have handled certain situations, why you want to work for the company, tell about yourself etc. (We were asked 5-7 questions)
      - Reunited with the big group to watch a powerpoint presentation about the company and question and answer
      - Recruiters will return and call everyone out individually to "ask any further questions". I was told that I was going into another room to take fingerprints and wait for a one-on-one interview (if you make it to this point, it is GOOD; I did not see more than half of the group again after this point). I got my fingerprints taken, and did a reach test to make sure you could reach far enough into an overhead compartment. My one-on-one interview was more relaxed and asked basic questions like: "tell me about yourself, how do you feel about relocating etc.". Don't get too comfortable in the one-on-one, nothing is set in stone until you receive a training date..I have heard some people making it to the one-on-one, but later receiving a Thanks but No Thanks because they didn't impress the recruiter!
    5. The next day before I even landed at home, I got my email that I was moving forward! (pending background check and medical exam)
    6. Received DOT forms a few days later, and it took about 3 weeks for them to clear. (this is a background check for job history)
    7. Singed my Conditional Job Offer and scheduled for Medical Exam a few days later
    8. Medical Exam
      - 2 drug tests
      - Blood work and asked about medical history
      - Hearing test
      - Eye test
      - Agility test (bending and reaching tests, lifting up to 60 lbs, pushing and pulling tests to see how strong you are) Your heart rate is monitored the entire time so breath normally and don't get too nervous so i remains at a normal rate. It is hard to determine how you did, and they won;t really give you feedback, but it is not very difficult to pass the agility (I don't work out regularly or anything like that, so if i did well, you will be fine!)
      - My medical clearance had a minor setback because my white blood cell count was a little o the high side (sinus infection) BUT the medical department will work with you if something is off and will allow you to send a note from you doctor stating that you are in good health and able to perform job functions. Some people also were held up because of anemia, but don't get discouraged, you can still be cleared it will just take a little longer!
    9. Finally received medical clearance after about 3 weeks (it could take as little as 2 days if you don't run into the same situation I did). Waiting for official training date.

Interview Questions
    • Some "typical" interview questions, and some that really make you think on your toes...prepare for any type of question!   Answer Question
    no negotiation of contract, so do your research to make sure that this job will suit your lifestyle!

MBA Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

why american airlines? why this industry? what you know of the industry. In short you should know everything about how airline industry works

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in April 2009.

Initial contact was letter, followed by a group interview at AA HQ... then a one on one interview during the same visit. If you were offered the job they told you after your one on one, but if not you were given an exit interview

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you received outstanding customer service   Answer Question
    no negotiation as a flight attendant

Revenue Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines.

I thought the interview went well, but there were a few tricky questions during the process that would take someone who has not worked in the industry by surprise. They say that previous knowledge of the airline industry doesn't matter, but a lot of the questions they ask are very industry specific and difficult to answer well if you don't have a good bit of knowledge on the subject. Other than that it went well, just make sure you put a lot of thought into how you go about answering the technical questions. The purpose more than anything else is to see how well you can solve problems.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about analyzing the affects of the government shutdown on airline revenues?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in December 2013.

Applied online through the American Airlines Careers website on Oct.7 received an email on Oct.8 to complete the online assesment. Oct.29 received another email and a phone call to complete online video interview, I was a little confused on how this worked and i had internet issues but had to submit my video, you can not retake any questions. You are asked behavioral questions, they repeat the question 2 times and then you are given 2 minutes to think about your answer and then you 3 minutes to answer. A total of 5 to 6 questions were asked. Since there was an error with my video interview I was called back and able to take a 2nd video interview which succesfully went through the 2nd time. Recieved the next email on Nov.14 to update my application, just a few minor assesment questions and then submit all your new info if it needs to be updated. Nov. 18 recieved phone call from American Airlines that invited my to Dallas DFW for Assessment Day Interview on Dec. 9th at 1:30pm and gave me all the information i needed, Now im just waiting for my interview next Monday!!! Hope this helped someone, this websight has helped me tremendously, good luck and happy flying to all!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you worked as a team, and what makes working as a team great?
      Describe a time when you had a customer left unsatisfied, how did you handle the situation?
      Why do you want to work for American Airlines

Answer Question

Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in December 2013.

1) 1st telephonic round - 30 mins, mix of behavioral and finance, strategy and marketing question
    2) Case round - excel spreadsheet and write up within 1 hour
    3) final round (super day) in dallas HQ - 3 interviews in a row

Interview Questions
    • 1) for 1st round be ready with general behavioral and core finance and marketing questions
      2) for 2nd round: be quick on excel and divide time accordingly between excel and word doc
      3) final round: be ready for anything...lot of questions: beavioral, deep finance, accounting and marketing questions, several questions on airline industry (read a lot on airline industry), lot of mini cases on airline industry (choose which seats to have, which cities to fly, how will you make one seat more profitable); be ready with any question
      4) apply for marketing leadership program as it has more openings almost double of finance leadership program

Answer Question

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

interviewed at American Airlines in July 2013.

My interview was very similar to previous posts. The recruiters were exceptionally welcoming and never appeared as though they were judging you. My advice to you:
    1.Be yourself, too many people were performing and it came across as
    fake.
    2. Many have discounted the importance of the essay, I think you need to
    take it seriously. We don't know how much it weighed in the outcome of the interview process.
    3. Group interview is first impression. I would offer to be the spokesperson for your group and try to have fun when answering questions. You'll be asked to explain your answer "How are you unique" in front of the large group.
    4. Small Group- prepare ahead of time and keep answers short and succinct.
    5. Try to always add a little humor without being silly or fake.

Interview Questions
    • Remember two things that someone revealed about themselves in the SMALL GROUP interview. Not large group. Pay attention.   Answer Question