American Airlines

Relevance Date Difficulty

Bi-lingual Flight Attendant Interview

Bi-lingual Flight Attendant
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – One word of advice here is to really rest before this interview. I think that this was one of my errors- flying in the same day. If you can- fly in the night before- get a hotel and really rest. I was up 12 hours even before my interview started so I was exhausted by the time I got there. Big mistake!
When you arrive- start being social - strike up a conversation and really get engaged. I made the mistake of arriving too early with another candidate and we went out to the terrace to watch what looked like a graduation of the FA's outside. Big mistake! I really needed to have stayed in the lobby and mingled with the other hopefuls. When I came back to the meeting room (on time), the recruiter said "of you came back" as if to say- why wasn't I in the lobby with everyone else.
During the group exercise they are watching everything so you need to be super bubbly and work really well with the others. Also made a mistake here when I was asked a question- I didn't hear the recruiters instruction. Again, spaced out because I was really tired. I saw other people do the same as I and made mistakes trying to follow the group exercise instructions- they all came on the bus back to the airport- so pay attention!!!
Next was the group interview- also extremely strange to get to hear people's answers. This may be another mistake I made- I tried too hard to impress them with accolades from my old job. They are really there to hear your customer service experience so make it about the customer. Don't list awards or other achievements. I listed a certification they had never even heard of- so guess what- they didn't care because they couldn't relate- they had no idea what it was!! When asked what my biggest accomplishment was- I should have listed an experience with the customer and how happy I made them. I really don't think they want to know how you saved the company money or anything grand- again you are going in for a flight attendant position- not to be CEO. This portion of the interview was very odd because I thought some of the people there answered very well and were going to be picked. I was wrong again- everyone from my group interview got sent home early. I think they are really looking for good looking 21 year olds who have just enough work experience, but who are not very accomplished. I worked for a fortune 500 company for 14 years and have a masters degree- I really think, in hindsight, that I came off way too accomplished and I tried to impress them with those accolades. They are looking for young, good-looking people who are not going to ask questions. There was a portion at the end where they take questions- look out! Don't ask things that will give you away as someone who may not like training- a fellow asked if he would be able to leave on the weekends to see his family and they said absolutely not- no one can leave training for any reason. He was not picked and I think this had something to do with it. I also mentioned that I am married and that I live in a small town. Big mistake! Don't talk about your family or anything that ties you anywhere. A huge emphasis was placed on relocation, how mobile you have to be, and that you can be away from your home for up to 6 days. Even though I have no problem moving to another city at a moments notice- they didn't know that. I think when I mentioned I was married that was a huge flag for them. Again, I really think they are looking for cute 21 year olds with no family or attachments to re-build their workforce. AA is going through a huge overhaul and they need lots of new attendants. If you have a family- don't mention them and don't ask any questions about the relocation process- it makes it look like you are worried. For anyone who is wondering- I kept my mouth shut during the questioning, but watched other people stick their shoe in the mud. For the record I am 33 but I look 25 (slim, tall, bla bla bla). The only reason why I am mentioning age here is that NONE of the older candidates got picked, but the cute 22 year old blondes did. I knew that looking young and "pretty" was a huge deal- so look the part. I am not judging AA for choosing this way as it's obvious that they want to rebuild their workforce with younger people who will be there a long time- lifers.
My biggest advice here is to be social, be very bubbly, don't mention your family or anything tying you to where you live. Make all of your answers relate to customer service and how well you have provided service to clients- don't go on about awards and other stuff not about helping the customer. This is unlike any interview you have been on- you actually need to make friends here and make sure the recruiters see you doing this. Again, if you don't fit the mold of the 20 something carefree gal- don't be disappointed if you are not chosen. Hope this helps!

Interview Question – If you could be any super hero, which would it be?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in late October on the American Airlines website. I received a pretty quick response for me to move forward to the next step which was a personality test and then video interview. I was not that confident in my webcam interview because you are looking at yourself when speaking. However, 3 days or so later I received an email inviting me to the head quarters for the assessment day interview. when I went I wore slacks, heels, and a blazer. When going in for the assessment interview, look sharp and professional. You will meet everyone in a room to sign in. Do not forget passport, and license along with anything else they say to bring. It is important to follow directions. After we sign in we are taken to a larger room and placed in groups. We did a group activity and introduced ourselves to everyone. The trainers are watching how you interact with everyone and how comfortable you are. I didn't notice them watching until someone mentioned that that is what they were doing. After the group activity, they take 5 to 6 people into separate rooms and have the group interview. I have never done a group interview but to my surprise I really felt comfortable and enjoyed it. You will be nervous but honestly, all you can do is be yourself. Think of your answers before you speak. They are taking notes during the interview and while you are talking. Benefits of a group interview is there are more people to make eye contact with. Believe in your answers and have confidence. After the group interview we all head back to the big room where the group activity took place and you watch a video. When that is done they will start taking you out one by one. I was taken to a room for a one on one and finger prints. Within the next week I received an email to fill out my back ground forms and dot paper work which I had three days to send those back. I sent those Nov. 14th. After that I did not hear anything back for months! I would email once a month to follow up on the process. Four months later I received my offer letter and appointment to take my medical exam. I think the wait took long due to the holidays and the new year. I took my medical exam about two weeks ago and I received an email that I cleared my exam and now I am waiting on the call that will tell me when I start my training! This hiring process is long and you need to have patience Do not quit your job until you have training dates set. Good luck to everyone!

Interview Question – Tell a time when you needed to take control of a situation.   View Answer

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – I applied online in March 2014. Received an invitation to do a video interview three weeks later. I have completed the video interview and I am now waiting to hear back. It has been two and a half weeks and I have not heard anything yet.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a problem with a coworker. what happened? what was the outcome?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flight Attendant

I applied online and interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview Details – So far the process has taken a little over three months. Flying out to do my F2F this Thursday. Praying!

Interview Question – I found the questions to be standard, common sense questions.   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was filed my apply on early Jan, got email back the next week. I received a link for web interview . A week after, I got call for F2F. It was really fan, we were playing and talking the hole time.

Interviewed at American Airlines

Interview Details – I have just made it to the video interview and am waiting to hear. The previous reviews on here were very helpful!

Interview Question – Tell us about a difficult team experience? What made it challenging?   Answer Question

Station Agent Interview

Station Agent
College Station, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Was called a week later for an interview scheduled for the next week. It was group interview style; i interviewed with three other individuals. They had an additional group interview later that day for different individuals. I was called 2 days later letting me know that I was not hired but they were still interested. Very positive experience.

Interview Question – Not the most difficult but the most unexpected question asked was, "If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?"   Answer Question

FLIGHT ATTENDANT AAL Interview

FLIGHT ATTENDANT AAL

I applied online - interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for Flight Attendant in March. Received email a few days later for video interview, which I did April 2nd.
There is an assessment which I did the next day after I applied. Currently, I am waiting for the next step. I dressed as though I was sitting in front of someone. My makeup and hair nicely done.
The questions were just as mention in another post. I also smiled through the whole video

Interview Question – I can't recall any questions being difficult. But I was nervous ... they do ask what you know about the company.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – The application process was pretty painless. Actually a lot quicker and easier than other airlines I've applied with. Uploaded resume and cover letter. Took a personality assessment too. I think that is how they weed out some people. Received an email confirming they received my application. About 4 days later I got an email saying that I had advanced to the next step and they wanted me to do a video interview. Once you get that email, you'll have 5 days to complete it. They'll even send you a reminder email and call you if you haven't completed the interview yet. The video interview was A LOT easier than I had expected. Dress as if you are going to the interview face to face. Be professional, smile, and show your personality! They know within the first 30 seconds if you are someone they would like to meet. Make sure your background is clear of everything! You want them to be able to focus on your face when they watch it, so no noisy television, or distracting paintings behind you. I found a blank white wall for mine. The video interview is automated. You'll be able to do a "test" so you can check your sound and video feed, to make sure it's working fine. The automated interviewer will read you a question and then he'll repeat it. You have 60 seconds to think about your answer, and then it automatically starts recording. You'll have 3 minutes to answer. You do not need to fill up the entire 3 minutes. I think on average, mine were probably 1 minute 30 seconds long. There are 6 questions total. Examples; "Explain a time when you received excellent customer service". "Tell me what you think about living in a new city". "What qualities do you have, that will make you a good candidate for American Airlines". Just waiting for the next step, which is an email inviting you to update your application. After that, they call you for a face to face interview in Dallas.

Interview Question – "Tell me what you think about living in a new city."   Answer Question

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

American Airlines Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1-got e mail saying that they wanted me to do a video interview.
2-got an e mail congratulating me on succesful completion of the video interview and was asked to update online application.
3- got a call from a recruiter to set up my f2f interview in dallas
4- flew to dallas for 4 hour interview
5- had the group ice breaker at first, that everyone talks about.
6- had the group interview which included 4 other people. We sat in chairs and answered questions asked. Simple questions like "what do you think we are looking for in a candidate?" "Tell me about your proudest moment of your work experiences" " If you could choose one word or phrase to describe a good flight attendant, what would it be?" They also had us pick a card from their hand. We could not flip it over until it was time for us to sgtand up and talk, and then we had 30 seconds to answer.
7- The group interview was over and we all went back into the room where we did the group activity.
8-viewed powerpoint about the benefits of working for AA and also what a typical work day is like.
9- Recruiters started to come in to call names.
10- some people were spoken to in the hallway, while others were taken into a room for a one-on-one interview. If they talked to you in the hallway and escorted you to the front of the hotel, you more than likely didn't make the cut. If you got the one-on-one interview, you pretty much can be confident that you are going to be selected........ or so I thought.
11- the one on one interview is more so about you past customer service experiences. I am in the military and when she saw that in my file, her face went sour. She let me know tht they could not pay for me to go home to drill with my unit and also, if i missed traning, I could run the risk of being restarted. I assured her that I could handle the schedule and that I would be able to go to drill before hand so that I did not have to leave dallas once the training started. She still seemed a little uneasy about it.
12- I did the reach test after the one-on-one interview, and was escorted back to the front. I filled out a finfetprint form when I was in the one on one interview but noone got finger printed that day because the machine was broken.
13- I got an e mail within the next few weeks saying that I had not been selected. I truly believe that I was discriminated on becasue of the fact that I am in the military because I went through the exact same process as the girl I rode back to the airport with, and she got an e mail within the next 2 days telling her the next step of the interview process. The bottom line is... don't let them know about your military service. You would think that it would show commitment, but they really do not want to deal with someone who has mandatory training with the military and they have to honor it. I got a call from delta today :) maybe I will go for delta.

Interview Question – All of the questions were fairly simple... A walk in the park.   View Answer