American Airlines

Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in September 2013.

Online application
    Web questionnaires
    Video interview

MBA Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in December 2012.

On-campus recruiting through a Top 10 school.

Networked with company's representatives during on-campus events, sent "Thank You" notes to everyone I met and stayed in touch.

Got selected for the closed list and invited to an interview. Studied hard about the industry, the company and the challenges it faced. Nice but firm interviewer.

Selected for the second round - a case for analysis in Excel to provide a written recommendation to senior management.

Invited to the final round - "superday" in Dallas. American flew the candidates a night before, had a reception in the hotel. Next morning - three interviews back to back, one of them was another - shorter - case. After the interviews - another reception and great lunch under the wing of the iconic DC-3 airliner.

Got a call with the offer about two days later - and couldn't be happier.

Interview Questions
    • How would you market a driverless car?
      Are airlines tickets a commodity?
        Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, have received a great offer, very competitive with other MBA-type jobs, and a signing bonus on top of that. I knew that by quantifying the travel benefits and the cost of living in Dallas, I am coming way ahead of my classmates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in September 2013.

The Hiring process is pretty long so you must be patient. I applied in June and didn't receive the phone/video interview until the end of August. To prepare for phone interview, I suggest looking on this website for advice. This website got me through the whole process without freaking out! Three weeks later I received an email to complete the online application form. Two weeks after that, I received the phone call to schedule the F2F interview in Dallas. APPLY FOR A PASSPORT BEFORE SCHEDULING. This was something that I didn't know and I rushed to the post office to apply for one. Luckily, the rep told me that a passport receipt is fine to bring, so if you don't have a passport definitely apply for one! You must have a receipt or a passport.

American flies interviewees out so no need to worry about transportation.

There were about 20 people at the interview. Definitely dress to impress. In fact, what you're wearing is just as important as the answers you give to the questions. Ladies, wear a nice pencil skirt with stockings. Make sure you know the difference between business formal and business casual. Business formal is always the way to go. Black and Navy are always safe. Day started out with an essay, then we moved to the group activity which was fun! Remember to have fun at the interview as well. You will be able to meet some interesting people from all over so be genuine.

Eyes are going to be on you as soon as you enter the building so SMILE! Be confident and be yourself! I can't stress that enough. Don't come off fake because they will pick up on it. Make sure you talk everyone because they will notice!

After group activity, you then move on to the most important part: the group interview. Group of 5 being interviewed by 2 people. This website contains great reviews on what the questions are so definitely check them out (I wont repeat them). Breathe and make sure to be genuine and passionate with your answers. Familiarize yourself with American Airlines and what they stand for. Also try rereading the flight attendant requirements. Those are always great to use during an interview (all of this can be found on the company website). Make sure you don't interrupt anyone! And make eye contact!

After that, you are then given a presentation on AA. Salary, bases, training, etc. were discussed. After this, they tell you that you will be called out to be given your returning flight details and to make sure your documents have been turned in....but what really happens is that some are escorted to a one on one interview and to be sent for fingerprints/reach test, while others are walked out. About 11 people were picked for fingerprints. Don't think that just because you have fingerprints that you automatically have the job. There are always surprises. But there is a strong chance that if you're fingerprinted you're in. They tell you to wait for an email (two weeks time) and you will proceed to do medical/physical test.

Good luck and definitely RESEARCH. Youtube videos helped me out a ton as well so check that out! The interview was a great experience but extremely nerve wracking! Don't be intimidated by anyone because who they pick just might surprise you!

Interview Questions
    • "Name one thing about someone you met today"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2013.

Video interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines.

This was my second time interviewing with AA for the flight attendant position. Starts off with initial screening process online, then personality assessment, then webcam video interview, then complete full application, then invited to in-person assessment in Dallas. Entire process moved a lot more quickly this time...about 2 months.
    In-person assessment is a half day event. If they like you, you'll know then as you'll be fingerprinted, complete some additional background paperwork, and have a one-on-one interview with a recruiter. 2 days later I was told I was moving to the background check phase , which took about 2 weeks. I got my conditional job offer on Friday and accepted same day. I am waiting to schedule my physical and drug screen and set my training start date.

Interview Questions
    • If you have previous alrline/aviation experience, DON'T MENTION IT!! That was my downfall the first time. They want to mold you to their standards/clones. Also stay away from cliche responses like you enjoy traveling.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in November 2009.

On-campus: 45-minute behavioral / case-light interview
    Test: timed, airline case given remotely
    Final round - 3 behavioral interviews, focus on airline industry

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume   Answer Question
    • If you had the chance to build one, 200-room hotel or two, 100-room hotels, which do you build and why.   Answer Question
    none

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Airlines in October 2011.

It was a phone interview rather than an on campus interview. I thought that was odd especially considering the fact that this company is an airline and travel is cheap. Whatever. The phone interview consisted of questions about my background, my leadership experience, my data analysis experience, my finance experience.

I am a career switcher so I also had questions about "why finance", "why the airline industry"

There were also some short case questions.

I was a little surprised at how tough my interviewer was, considering AA's recent financial record. Most MBAs are wary of joining a company with such a poor performance.

Interview Questions
    • Why the airline industry?   Answer Question
    • How do you see American Airlines positioned among the top airline carriers in the country?   Answer Question

TWU LOGISTICS HOURLY Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in December 2010.

Internal transfers get first shot at full time employment. This is done by the date of hire (seniority date).
    when this list is exhausted the manager will go to the external pool of candidates.
    However a Logistics manager has picked his favorites and bypassed qualified staff.
    The aptitude test is 50 questions 25 abstract math and 25 abstract reading. 12 minutes to complete
    Big city airports require extensive background checks in of itself and if you are on the ramp handling mail you will have to be able to clear the post office background. as well as Customs.This will be 30 days in itself.. If you smoke marijuana or take drugs don't even attempt the drug screening.
    Everything at the airport needs a driver so you need that drivers license to be valid .
    Again a good hiring manager will be your advocate in getting the formalities moving for you.
    However there are inexperienced managers in place that dont want to get involved and will let the
    paperwork go at its own pace through the system this can make the wait time 45-60 days.
    In other words if you do not receive updates from the manager within 30 days chances are your manager is not working internally on your behalf. The aptitude tests were done as a prerequisite to the 1 on 1 interview ..Though you did come in and meet a supervisor, manager or staff assistant. Today this test is done online when completing the application so the good thing is it saves a trip into the hiring managers office .
    All it is so critical that everyone familiarize themselves with these IQ/intelligence tests it will be waiting for you sometime during the hiring process.As for salaried or non exempt candidates successfully getting through the process well unless there is multiple openings for the same position or you know the hiring manager personally it will not happen at the local level.This type would be better taking an hourly paying job do the 6 months probation and then apply as an internal candidate you will have a 95% chance in going up in your career endeavors remember you need to get inside the front door first. I personally know that the hiring manager does hire friends and friends of other managers needing favors
    Seniority at this airline is the only thing employees have left. You will be at the bottom for everything until you accrue seniority .
    It is possible that you will be layed off especially during this reorganization. Beware

so good luck all

Interview Questions
    • Break the ice question..
      Tell us about your past work and why you think you are qualified for this job
        View Answer
    • Diversity know everything about Diversity   View Answer
    • working 24/7 nights holidays religious on weekends chronic ailments   View Answer
    It is under court reorganization ...all contracts will be under review for cost restructurig.

Station Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Airlines in February 2010.

Do not be in a rush to start anytime soon fyi. You fill out the application, get called in for a interview, go to the interview, takes another week for background check to clear, then they fly you to go get medically examine, wait for the results to come back then another week later youre hired. . .whole process takes about 3-4 weeks.

Strategy Analyst Interview

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in November 2010.

I had a first round interview, followed by a case, and was then flown down for a day of interviews and social activities. Throughout the process, the interviewers were friendly and asked interesting questions. They all clearly wanted to assess my ability to think through problems, whether the scenario was airline industry based or a random topic.