American Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.8

Flight Attendant Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

I applied around Nov 2013.
    I passed all the steps as mentioned above by other candidates. This was the second time I applied for this company. I also speak fluently a second language and I was applying for specific language position FA.
    It took about 8 weeks for the entire process (excluding the face to face interview) . Once I passed the video interview I got the f2f one, at that point it was early April 2014.
    The experience was positive because I learned what type of personality the airlines is looking for. I made a lot of mistakes during the interview. It was totally my fault. I wasn't nervous and this was certainly a factor of exclusion since I was not offered the job. Overconfidence will be punished. I was quickly sent a rejection note via email within 36 hrs.
    I will not re-write up the steps of the above candidates because of redundancy.

SUGGESTION …...If you want to pass the process you must come through and genuinely as a likeble person to the interviewers. These people are flight attendants who are looking at you working with them. If they do not like you at first sight and for additional reasons they will not select you. This is a customer service position, thus they want to select you from a point of view of a customer.

The interviewers and trainers are all super nice and they try to make you comfortable and loose. They will tell you things like "be yourself". You need to watch out with these statements, because if being yourself is going to project parts of your personalities that are considered unsuited for the job it will only hurt you.
    You can be great at customer service but the people interviewing you are not going to dig or give you chances or spend time to get to know you.
    Watch out for voice projection, sound, and delivery of your answers as well as mannerism, or any side of your personality that is too timid or too domineering (I am in the latter category).
    Do not ask questions that can place the interviewers out of the comfort zone, (something I done as well).
    Be a submissive leader. This sounds like an oxymoron but it is exactly what the airlines is looking for.

Good luck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in March 2014.

Day 0 - Submitted application online

Day 5 - Received an invitation for video interview. This is an automated online interview consists of several questions and your response is recorded through your webcam.

Day 7 - Completed video interview.

Day 11- Received an email indicating "overwhelming" interest based on the video interview. But due to the large number of applicants I was advised to be patient and expect to hear from AA in the "coming months".

Day 15 - Received an invitation for on site interview. I guess I don't have to wait for months after all. And they wanted me to go the next day! Due to prior commitments I had to schedule the interview for the following week.

Day 22 10am - Arrived at AA Training and Conference Center in Ft Worth for the interview.

Interviews are usually conducted Tuesdays through Thursdays twice a day in groups of 25. In my group there were 20 women and 5 men of various age, size, and ethnicity, and several of them have language skills. Only 2 were local and the rest came from all over the country. The facilitators/evaluators were all senior FA's with 30+ years of experience. They were just as excited as the candidates because this is the first time AA has hired FA's since 9/11 and we could represent the next generation of FA's at the new AA.

To put things in perspective, there were over 100k applicants and AA has hired about 2,000 new FA's to date (starting last year). They told us we should be proud of ourselves for making it to the interview. This got everyone all pumped up!

We broke into groups of 5's to start the first exercise, which mainly deals with learning about each other and then present to the other groups. It forces you to remember names, faces, and some details about each person, and think on your feet.

Then the facilitators went through a presentation about AA, FA job requirements, and the training process. After that we were divided into 4 groups for the group interview. There were two interviewers for each group. First, each person in the group had to answer the same question. Then each person draws a random question and had to answer on the spot.

After the group interview then it's time for individual interviews, then a "reach" test (to make sure you can reach the overhead bin), and finger printing. The entire process took 4 hours.

Day 25 - Received an email to submit background check. Looks like I made it!!

Day 28 - Submitted background check.

Day 30 - Received offer letter!

Day 32 - Accepted offer

Day 38 - Foreign language assessment test

Day 42 - Medical and physical ability test

Day 45 - Schedule flight attendant training

Interview Questions
    • Who is your favorite superhero and why.
      Describe one of your life experiences that prepared you to be a flight attendant.
        Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines.

Applied online. Next day, interview video link was sent. It's been 2 business days since I completed the video interview and I haven't heard anything. If God wants me to have this job, they will call me!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were expected. All of the questions were given on glass door! What qualities do you possess that make you the best candidate? Why do you want to be a flight attendant? How did you react to an angry customer?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Just an update: Received invitation for online interview on April 2. Completed on April 3. Just received an email to update my online application form; this is 5 weeks after online interview. If you have completed your video and still haven't heard back, just be patient. From reading posts here, it appears that it could take another couple of weeks to get an invitation for a F2F.

Interview Questions
    • What asset do you have that AA would benefit from hiring you?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Airlines.

Thanks to everyone who post on this blog. The advise given is right on point. The video interview was intimidating at first. But after the first question I was able to relax. What helped me to get comfortable and stay focused, was the fact that I was dressed as if I was I face to face with the interviewer.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

i submitted online application and personality test. After four business days, i got a reject email from AA. I think i failed the personality test. i've never filled out one before, i was very confused when i tried to select the answer that matches their need. however, i think i failed. can anyone give me suggestions? I really want to be a flight attendant, should i reapply it again?

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Everything you read is true. I read reviews on here prior to my interview and everything was identical. Fly you to Dallas for group interview. It was 19 of us that day. It was about 3-4hrs long. Did provide refreshments. Once completing paperwork we did a few group activities. Break out in 2-4 people for a more intimate interview with 2 or 3 recruiters. The biggest thing for me is pulling a card and answer question on card but can't look at card until they say so and you have 30 secs to answer. Mines was really a random question. Then you go back in the group room while waiting for everyone else to finish. Upon everyone completing their interviews they start calling names. Once your name is called you gather all your belongs and follow the recruiter. If one of the first things they ask is about your flight, you DIDNT get the job (no matter what they say, you'll know BEFORE you leave). If the recruiter leads you into another room, stay calm you have made it to the next step, which is doing your fingerprints. I didn't make it to that point. I did wait until everyone was finished to leave (not my intentions, was waiting on hotel shuttle) && they hired 5 people from my group. 4 women and 1 man. 2 Asian, 2 African Americans and then the guy was Caucasian but was definitely apart of the LGBT family. Received an email within 2-3 days stating that I didn't get the job, even though i knew that prior to leaving Dallas. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • If the pilot turns on the seat belt sign and there is a passenger whom child is asleep on the floor, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

FLIGHT ATTENDANT AAL Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

I applied for Flight Attendant in March. Received email a few days later for video interview, which I did April 2nd.
    There is an assessment which I did the next day after I applied. Currently, I am waiting for the next step. I dressed as though I was sitting in front of someone. My makeup and hair nicely done.
    The questions were just as mention in another post. I also smiled through the whole video

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall any questions being difficult. But I was nervous ... they do ask what you know about the company.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

Interview step 1: Filled out application
    2. Personality test
    3. Automated interview(webcam)
    4. Basic background check
    5. Face to face interview
    6. Fingerprinted.

Interview Questions
    • use on word to describe good customer service   View Answer

Better offer from other company

Finance/Accounting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coral Gables, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coral Gables, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Airlines in April 2014.

applied through campus career services website. few weeks later got a phone call asking if I was interested in the position, and to schedule an interview. It turned out to be a group interview consisting of 5 applicants, the hiring manager, and her assistant. They asked several relatively standard questions, to every applicant, and we each took a turn to answer each question. The manager jotted down notes. Much of what we said was recorded by the hiring manager in her notes. They later asked us if we had any questions for them.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness? What do you need to improve in?   Answer Question
    • How did you prepare for this interview?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about this company?   Answer Question
    • If you could meet any person, from history either living or dead, or anyone in the world, who would it be and why?   View Answer
    • Tell me about yourself.   View Answer