American Apparel Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

1.8

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview

Attended an open call earlier this year, which was unnecessary as there were only 4 people needed on staff and at least 100 people showed up. Needless to say, I did not get the job. A few months later, I was noticed by the manager that had interviewed me the first time and invited me to a second open call. Upon sitting with her and a floor associate, I was told I was remembered and well liked, and asked me nothing other than when I could start. After she asked my availability, I was told to come in for a second interview. The second interview consisted of me being hired and filling out paperwork. Less than a week after the open call I was working on the floor. The first interview was more of an actual interview, my only advice would be to study up on their website, dress in their clothing and have in mind they will ask about you personally so just be yourself!!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for American Apparel?   1 Answer
    • Describe AA in three words, describe your personal style in three wrds   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Backstock Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Apparel (New York, NY).

Interview

I previously worked in California for the company. SO this was just a quasi re-hire. I met with the district manager of the tri state area and the backstock coordinator for the uptown NYC stores and qucikly was given the job.

Interview Questions

• Can you life boxes up a flight of stairs?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Apparel (Phila, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Received a call about an open call happening that day. Sat down with two associates. One was asking questions the other was sitting there observing. Interview lasted about 15 mins. They asked a few basic questions and 2 scenario questions.

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Apparel (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It took me multiple tries to finally get an interview. I went to multiple stores dropping my resume at each one. Each I recieved either acceptance or like semi OK feedback. I finally was interviewed at an open call with a district manager and then had to have a second interview with the store manager.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Apparel (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied thru online (they also have open calls, it says on their website, they update the information very often.) I received the offer three days after i sent out the resume. i went to the Melrose location to do the interview. The interviewer was really nice, the interview feels like casual talk. It was pretty fast, the whole process probably takes about 5 mins.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for American Apparel   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Apparel (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied online including 2 pictures of me. Got an email saying to come for an interview about 3 days later. I came in wearing all AA and looking sharp with barely any makeup since their goal was to promote the "natural beauty" and even had a cover letter. The manager looked very young and she took me inside a small office. It was a very quick process about 2 minutes which I thought was weird. She didn't seem interested and when we were done she just shook my hand while sitting which showed the impression that she didn't even want to open the door for me. So I got up left and I felt really awkward and uninviting. I looked back and she just went straight to her phone. I was so excited for this opportunity. Never got a call back and so I called after about a week and they told me if she were interested, she would of called me...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Apparel (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The process was very quick. I went in a small back room during a normal business day and they asked me why I wanted to work at AA. They also asked about what you could bring to the company. It was a 5 min process, honestly. It was be very comfortable and very layed back.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Apparel (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I filled out a form online at the American Apparel website that stated that they needed new sales associates. The form said to include three photos of yourself, and your resume. Shortly after, i got an email back asking if i was able to come in for an interview at their Melrose location at 1. Of course, I responded back, happy that i was reached out to! On the day, I arrived at the location about 15 minutes early and was told that Tavia (the woman I was meeting with) was dropping a few things off and that i should just stay put. I walked around the store about 20 times, trying to adjust items that looked a mess. Finally, i got a tap on my shoulder, at about 1:05 or so, to double check that it was me. She was very friendly. She told me to sit in the chairs that were on display in the center of the store and she scooted hers towards mine. She started with a fresh piece of paper. Most of the questions were very simple, easy to answer questions, especially if you had been thinking about it beforehand. When the interview was over, she said to me that she would reach out by the end of the week if she's looking for a second interview. I thanked her, shook her hand, and got up. It was only 1:11. Overall, the experience was somewhat nerve racking, not having done it before. I haven't gotten an offer yet, but i am still awaiting!!!

Interview Questions

• Why American Apparel?   1 Answer
    • Have you done any voulenteer work/been part of a group? What are the pros/cons?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Apparel (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

You show up and they take you to the backroom. The manager will interview you. If you can make sure not to wear any makeup and wear all AA from head to toe. Interview lasted five minutes. They asked very simple questions i.e. "why AA?" "how would you describe your style?" tbh I don't think my answers really mattered that much.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about AA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

Interview

Applied online and was emailed a few days later for an interview. Very relaxed, pretty comfortable. I was walked into an office and had a one on one interview. Im terrible at interviews and this was one of the easiest and laid-back interviews I've ever had. Got an email a few hours later offering me a sales position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work for AA? Describe AA style in 3 words. Describe your style in 3 words. What can you bring to the company?   1 Answer