American Apparel

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

1.8

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Apparel.

Arrived 10 minutes early and There were a few people already waiting, i got called Into the back room. It was laidback and it only took about 8 minutes, there were 3 employees, the district manager, the manager and another employee. And the manager was the one to ask most questions, the other two just wrote down my answers.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Apparel in February 2015.

You can apply online but it's better to wait for an open call. Make sure to get there early there will be a long line. The interview itself takes about 15-20mins.
    Open call is a job interview
    If they like you they will take a picture if you and "send it to headquarters"
    The interview it self is In a small back room with 2 people sitting across from you one person asks questions and writes done answers other person observes and might ask you 1 or 2 questions. In all it's very personal and laid back, take a deep breath smile and don't get scared.
    Make sure to wear something that looks like American apparel style-ish.
    Make sure to call back because they will not call you. Act like you want the job
    If you do not call you will not get the job no matter what awesome the interview went. Call after 2 days

Interview Questions
    • What is your style?
      What do you know about American apparel?
      What is American apparel style?
      Bunch of personal questions

Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I was at an open call in NYC, early by about 20 minutes. Already, there were probably 20 people in front of me and I waited 2 hours for an interview. When I finally got it, one man was on the phone while the woman asked me a few brief questions. It was a pretty standard interview, but it took literally 5 minutes, which was frustrating since I had waited so long. They were really rushed and stopped taking photographs of interviewees at that point, also.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Apparel in February 2015.

I went to the store to return something and saw that they were hiring but I ended up applying online on January 28th. Got a call 2 weeks later for an interview the week after the call. I went it and the manager was really nice and so were the employees, I'm a regular so I already knew the store fairly well and the interview was a breeze. The manager told me I had very good answers and told me that I'd hear back in 2 weeks. Definitely go in with confidence and all AA apparel. The questions were really basic, she followed the interviewer guide questions so it's basically general "what's your experience?" "how can you contribute?" Type of questions. Definitely think of words to describe your style and the store cause that is what I got stuck on, despite my love for the store, I really drew blank. But yeah interview was easy and go in with confidence and be assertive and friendly!

Interview Questions
    Definitely ask questions after they're finished! That'll show that you're interested and have concerns of your own. Talk about your experiences and how they can contribute. Be calm and be you. I went casual and not dressy, something you'd see their employees wearing.

Sales Associate - American Apparel Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Apparel.

went in for an open call ...wore all AA, same day got am email for second interview came in and didn't get an offer...(if you get a second interview still be on your stuff b/c it doesn't mean you got the job yet!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Apparel.

Really basic retail interview, easy to pass especially if you are not an idiot. They will take your picture though, so don't be fat, ugly, don't wear makeup, don't do your hair and don't wear the wrong clothes b/c you won't be picked.

none

Cashier, Personal Shopper Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Apparel.

Short interview with about four to five questions and a photo taken at the end to show personal style! A store manager will interview you depending on position you are interviewing for it may be a district manager, it is brief and non threatening just make sure you know about the back ground of the company!

Interview Questions
    • Do you know what American Apparel is all about?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Apparel.

Went to an open call for seasonal sales. Told me to expect a call for a second interview in a couple days. Took one full body photo. Got a call back in about less than a week to come in to do the second interview, got the job right then. I did not wear American apparel.

Interview Questions
    • The questions people were usually asked here, but a lot less questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, minimum wage

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Apparel.

I saw on Craigslist that they were having an Open Call so I attended wearing everything AA (this is important because they judge your outfit if it's not AA). I went there 10 minutes before the time posted and I was 7th in line. It's important to get there early. I went and spoke to the manager and she wasn't really interested in my resume she just asked me questions about my availability and where I was located. She took a picture of me and said she would send it to the headquarters and would call me back if I was approved and had the look. A week went by and I received a phone call for a second interview and she told me to bring 2 forms of id. When I went she told me she was offering the position and I had to sign papers. The second interview wasn't an interview it was a job offer. She didn't ask me any questions. I'm excited to start the job !

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to work at American Apparel and not any other retail store?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Interview

I submitted application online and was emailed to schedule that interview. I went to interview and tried to look the part. Interview was quick but had to wait around a bit. The store Manager asked me questions. Asked about favorite article of clothing from the store.