American Apparel Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

1.8

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Apparel in August 2014.

I originally took my resume to another location and was told by the manager, that there was a upcoming open call in SF. She gave me the information and I went. I arrived 15 minutes before the posted start time and there was two other applicants in front of me. We were given a sign in sheet and after filling that out we were instructed to wait until called in. Once I entered the store I noticed the staff wasn't welcoming at all. I smiled and said hello and never once got a response from any of them. Its a turn off for people who really want to work there, knowing the staff is uptight and rude. I met with the District manager, who was very nice and well dressed I might add. We had a great conversation based on my resume and he also complimented me on my shoes and top. He asked me questions (Why AA? What makes AA stand out? Availability? Location Preference? Previous job experience?) My interview was wonderful compared to what I've seen on sites. He of course wanted to see my sense of style(It is a job in a fashion retail store.) but he also seemed very engaged in what I had on my resume which excited me. He said I had a very good interview and that if they choose me I should receive a call in about a week or so. The interview was very recent and I'm still waiting to hear back, I'm extremely confident I'll get it though. (Also, if you can wear some AA items and really showcase how you'd dress if they gave you the position.)

Sales Associate - American Apparel Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Apparel in January 2013.

I attended an Open Call and had an interview with the District Manager. The questions were pretty easy, and it took about ten minutes (Why American Apparel? Why should we hire you? Can you describe your style?). Approximately five days later, I received a phone call to have a second interview with the Store Manager. Two days later, I met with the store manager, and he was very impressed with my presence (at the first and second interview, I wore AA). It was hardly an interview really, he asked me some availability questions and then told me about the company and some responsibilities of a sales associate. They didn't really say I was hired, they kind of just implied it by giving me my contract that day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at American Apparel.

Initially I went in on a Sunday and asked if they were hiring sales associates. The manager on duty told me they were hiring key holders, asked my age, seemed pleased that I was 24, wrote down my name, email, and availability. He said to apply online. I did on Tuesday night, and then next day at noon the store manager asked me to attend the open call the following day on Thursday from 3-6. I showed up around 4 and the cashier said the manager was busy and to shop around awhile. Without talking to the cashier, the store manager eventually came and found me (must have recognized me from my application photos, which I took to be a good thing). I followed him to the back where he immediately asked first my availability, then what position I was applying for, then my work experience, then the position I was applying for (again), then why AA?, then to describe my personal style in 3 words, to describe AA's style in 3 words, then what I knew about the company (I didn't know much!), then my biggest academic accomplishment, etc...

There were 3 people in the interviewing room and the two who didn't talk nodded at everything I said. However I was kinda shy, my voice sounded small and my answers were short. Afterward he said they have my interviews to do but that he would get back to me if they were interested.

I left feeling bummed because I took the "we'll get back to you, we have other interviews" speech to be an easy way to say I probably wouldn't get the job.

However, very unexpectedly (to me) on Saturday morning I got a voicemail saying I was offered the key holder position! And then an email a few hours later stating the same thing. I called the manager immediately and he asked me to come in next Monday to fill out paperwork.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I turned in my resume to the manager in store and applied online for the position. They called me back a couple weeks later for an interview which went really well.

Key Holder Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Apparel.

9/10 we only hire people who are friends with other employees or are transfers from other American Apparels. Very rarely do we hire 'new' people. If you get interviewed it's simply a resume, some questions about fashion and then we take pictures of you to send to corporate.

Interview Questions
    • The pictures, you can be denied being hired based on your looks and sense of fashion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Apparel in January 2013.

Applied in store with a resume then attended an open call where I was interviewed by the district manager who asked why american apparel and other basic traditional questions, lasting about 10 minutes. I stopped by again a few days later she the store manager interviewed me, asked the same questions then gave me the job.

Interview Questions
    • The district asked me three times if punctuality was going to be a problem which sort of threw me off   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate it was my first job but i know some people with enough experience have negotiated

Key Holder Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at American Apparel.

It is important to go to the interview wearing clothing from the store. The main reason why they hire you is to be able to "represent the brand". The interview is fairly short they ask about your previous managerial experience. In some cases you don't have to have any. You should also brush up on your knowledge of the company. The will most likely ask what your favorite item that they sell is. You will know if you got the job right away for the most part.

Sales Associate - American Apparel Interview

Went to an open call and received a call for a second interview a few days later and was hired on the spot at my second interview. It was a fairly easy interview the questions were pretty straight forward. Why do you like American Apparel? Why did you decide to come to this open call?

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I would be willing to switch stores and possible be closer to home   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Garden City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at American Apparel in August 2010.

I was hired at 15- my resume was basically my interests, volunteer work, and good grades. They asked me a few general questions (favorite AA item, why I was interested, etc), and took my picture (I was wearing no makeup and head-to-toe AA, which is NECESSARY!).

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were super basic! Good to be aware of the "Made in USA, Sweatshop Free, Virtually Integrated Manufacturing" mentality they have!   Answer Question
    No negotiation!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Apparel in May 2014.

I went in for a open call. Interviewed with the district manager. Pretty easy, just talked about my retail experience and briefly described why I wanted to work for the company.

Interview Questions
    • What was your past management experience?   View Answer
    Barely negotiated. I had to push for it.

Worked for American Apparel? Contribute to the Community!