American Apparel

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

1.8

Sales Interview

I submitted application online and was emailed to schedule that interview. I went to interview and tried to look the part. Interview was quick but had to wait around a bit. The store Manager asked me questions. Asked about favorite article of clothing from the store.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Apparel.

E-mail application, through which you select location preferences. You'll get the typical employment and educational history questions, followed by a resume with a cover letter. They'll also ask for a "modeling headshot" and photographs showing off your "minimalist style." The online process was a cakewalk, less intense and less professional than other retail positions I've applied to.

Interview Questions
    • None. You can finish this job application in an hour.   View Answer

Sales Associate - American Apparel Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Apparel.

Very simple and easy. I got an email that day saying that they wanted to meet with me. Then, I went and met a couple hours later at the location. The person who interviewed me was very nice and the interview process was very simple. She asked a couple easy questions that I didn't even have to think about and that was it. I got it the job also.

Inventory Associate Interview

Applying online gets you nowhere unless you're drop dead gorgeous, go to an open call (check website) show up in your most basic minimal outfit (maybe even in some AA clothes), BRING RESUME

Interview Questions
    • They really just ask you about the company, so do you're research very basic questions, they're looking for models not real employees   Answer Question

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Apparel.

Attended an open call, Manager ask me questions about current trends in fashion and how I felt about AA as a brand, no prior retail experience. I was hired based on appearance and attention to brand detail. I started off as a sales associate and worked my way up to key holder.

Interview Questions
    No negation, I was told that that was the only amount being offered

Sales Associate - American Apparel Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Apparel.

Questions like Why you like AA, what are your favorite current styles, and it works to wear all AA or look like it. No Make Up. It's a one-on-one in the middle of the store, very intimate. The hiring manager will stare at your outfit and judge you if it's not "AA"

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Apparel in October 2014.

I saw on craigslist that they were having an open call so I decided to go. I got there and I was the only one who showed up. I'm new to this city and I'm assuming AA isn't a popular store here because if the AA in Atlanta ( where I'm from ) was having an open call the line would be wrapped around the building Lol. So an employee tells the manager I'm here and she comes and leads me to the back. When I got to the back she informed me that she's the district manager which made me 50 billion times more nervous but when we started talking she was really cool and down to earth so all my nervousness went away. She read questions off a list and none were hard at all. She also gave a very basic scenario which wasn't hard either. She seemed fairly impressed with all my answers and said that I said most of her favorite answers. Afterwards she told me that he already hired for Halloween season but to expect a call back afterwards because shell need people for holidays. She asked me to do the online application too so hat shell remember my name and face. I hope I got it!! ,

Interview Questions
    • Why AA?   Answer Question
    • Describe your style in three words.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What role do you play in a group setting?   Answer Question
    • Let's say your checking on people in the fitting room. A girl is looking at herself in the mirror with pants she tried on looking disappointed saying they don't fit. You offer to go get her another size and while your on the way out another person comes up to you and says they need a fitting room and they have a lot of things. What would you do in what order?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Apparel in October 2014.

I was a transfer from the NYC stores, but due to some bad transfers from NY in the past as well as only Assistant Manager being an available position, I was forced to do a sit-down interview in two parts. The first was with the Store Manager and the District Manager's assistant followed by an interview with the District Manager at which point I was offered the position on the spot. It was very friendly and overall laid-back atmosphere that I wouldn't have gotten in NYC. They were very inquisitive about how well I adhered to store policy and standards as that has been a problem previously.

Interview Questions
    • The District Manager had asked me to describe a situation that may have started poorly, but finished with positive results. They also asked how comfortable I was reprimanding people. I am naturally a polite person, so this came with some difficulty.   View Answer
    Negotiation on pay rate is very difficult with this company as it has a set amount for any given position. With that being said though, hard work definitely gets rewarded here.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

They hire based on how you dress and look and how cool you seem. They want models to be working for them, so the interview is basically "are you vaguely competent... oh wait you have a sense of style HIRED" The interview is a preview to the misery you'll suffer as an employee... it's not awesome.

No negotiation

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Apparel.

Initially I went in on a Sunday and asked if they were hiring sales associates. The manager on duty told me they were hiring key holders, asked my age, seemed pleased that I was 24, wrote down my name, email, and availability. He said to apply online. I did on Tuesday night, and then next day at noon the store manager asked me to attend the open call the following day on Thursday from 3-6. I showed up around 4 and the cashier said the manager was busy and to shop around awhile. Without talking to the cashier, the store manager eventually came and found me (must have recognized me from my application photos, which I took to be a good thing). I followed him to the back where he immediately asked first my availability, then what position I was applying for, then my work experience, then the position I was applying for (again), then why AA?, then to describe my personal style in 3 words, to describe AA's style in 3 words, then what I knew about the company (I didn't know much!), then my biggest academic accomplishment, etc...

There were 3 people in the interviewing room and the two who didn't talk nodded at everything I said. However I was kinda shy, my voice sounded small and my answers were short. Afterward he said they have my interviews to do but that he would get back to me if they were interested.

I left feeling bummed because I took the "we'll get back to you, we have other interviews" speech to be an easy way to say I probably wouldn't get the job.

However, very unexpectedly (to me) on Saturday morning I got a voicemail saying I was offered the key holder position! And then an email a few hours later stating the same thing. I called the manager immediately and he asked me to come in next Monday to fill out paperwork.