American Apparel Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

1.9

82 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Apparel in January 2013.

Applied in store with a resume then attended an open call where I was interviewed by the district manager who asked why american apparel and other basic traditional questions, lasting about 10 minutes. I stopped by again a few days later she the store manager interviewed me, asked the same questions then gave me the job.

Interview Questions
  • The district asked me three times if punctuality was going to be a problem which sort of threw me off   View Answer
I was not able to negotiate it was my first job but i know some people with enough experience have negotiated

Other Interview Reviews for American Apparel

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Apparel in May 2014.

I went in for a open call. Interviewed with the district manager. Pretty easy, just talked about my retail experience and briefly described why I wanted to work for the company.

Interview Questions
    • What was your past management experience?   View Answer
    Barely negotiated. I had to push for it.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Apparel in June 2014.

I went on their website where they said they were hiring in NYC along with an email. I send my resume along with 2 photos of myself (wearing all AA clothes.) After 2 days, I got an email saying they wanted to meet. The date and place negotiation took awhile and after a week, I went to the interview. I came in wearing all AA and the interview literally lasted 5 minutes. She took me to an empty area of the store and we just stood while she asked me questions. VERY basic questions about availability and location preference along with some small talk about school and where I loved, etc. She said she would email my resume to a supervisor or higher ups. And then I left.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at American Apparel in November 2010.

They saw me and were desperate for people to work so they pulled me into the back stock, dressed me in their latest season dress, took my photos and sent them to someone at corporate with my name and availability. 5 minutes later they said I was hired and could start doing my paper work tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to be photographed and hired so quickly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at American Apparel.

It was fairly simple. I went to an open call and one of the workers briefly interviewed me. Simple questions, nothing too painstaking. She told me she would send my resumes out to a bunch of AA's in the city and I'll hear from one within a week.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. Just little tidbits about your personal life.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Apparel.

Went to an open call, answered three super basic questions (3 words to describe you, why do you want to work here, and one thing that sets AA apart from other stores.) The interview was about two minutes long. I got offered the position about a week later. There were about 30 other people at the open call but only three were hired as sales associates, and only one was hired as a backstock associate.

no negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I was shopping, and the manager noticed that I was wearing all AA, so she asked if I was interested in a job... A few days later, we set up an interview and voila, I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were simple and straightforward: i.e. How would you describe your personal style? Why AA? etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Apparel in April 2014.

I applied online and was called within a week to come in for an interview. It was somewhat short notice, about 3 days before the interview day. I came 15 minutes early. To my surprise, it was a group interview, but only one girl showed up. The interview was done outside (it was a nice sunny day). Two people interviewed us: the manager and back stock leader(?) It was about 30 minutes long. I came prepared and practiced my answers for questions like "Why American Apparel?" and "How would you describe your style? American Apparel's style? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What were your previous job's duties? What is your greatest achievement?" and other basic questions. I felt confident after leaving the interview. The following day I called the manager and thanked him for his time and told him I was very serious about the position and that he should really consider me. He sounded pleased and told me that I would be hearing from him "very soon"..

A week after the interview, I had not received a call and decided to call the store and check up on the process. The manager told me that his last interview would be done that day and he had to look through some more applications. I didn't want to annoy him so I ended it short and sweet.

About another week goes by and finally I get a call back. They told me to come in for a second interview the next day. This interview was done with the assistant manager. She basically asked me the same question "Why American Apparel?" and a lot of situational questions. The interview was pretty relaxed and the assistant manager was super nice and chill. She even told me that I did great with the interview and seemed very confident. I felt pretty good when she said that. I ask for an email and she gives me the store card with the email on it. As soon as I get home, I send a thank you email. Not sure if they even received it or not because they never replied...

ANOTHER week goes by with no call. I decide to stop by the store since it's less than 5 minutes away from my school. I talk to the manager to check up on the process (yet again) and he tells me that they still have some interviews that day and I would be hearing from them "very soon" (again lol)..

Overall, this process has been pretty long and stressful. I'm really not sure if I'm going to get the job at this point. I am in the middle of applying at Aritzia and meeting with their manager so I'm hoping I'll get hired there. Anyway.. It seems to me like my process has been a lot longer than other people for American Apparel.

*Oh by the way, at my first interview the manager complemented my shoes. They were velvet loafers. And my whole outfit was American Apparel. MAKE SURE YOU ARE WEARING AMERICAN APPAREL. I don't care what anyone else says. It will be a GREAT advantage to you. Trust me.

Interview Questions
    • Greatest accomplishment? What would you do if a customer came in and wanted to purchase their items in all pennies and coins?   Answer Question

Didn't really get an offer yet but I'm still waiting..

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and got sent an email back with an interview date. I showed up on time making sure to look clean and I would say it also helps if you wear at least one of their products. So they asked me some simple questions and said they would call me with their decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Apparel.

After reading a lot of reviews online about the interview process, I was pretty terrified. It seemed by the reviews that they simply take a photo of you and judge heavily on looks. That wasn't my experience at all. I could tell they cared about how you dress/look - but they were very kind and friendly. The process took about two days. I applied online and a few days later got a call for the store manager asking me to come in for an Open Call. I went, talked with three employees, it was a super chill and casual conversation. No picture were taken. The next day I got a call saying I got the job.

Interview Questions

Worked for American Apparel? Contribute to the Community!