American Apparel

Updated Jan 19, 2015

1.9

95 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Apparel.

Really basic retail interview, easy to pass especially if you are not an idiot. They will take your picture though, so don't be fat, ugly, don't wear makeup, don't do your hair and don't wear the wrong clothes b/c you won't be picked.

none

Other Interview Reviews for American Apparel

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Apparel.

Went to an open call for seasonal sales. Told me to expect a call for a second interview in a couple days. Took one full body photo. Got a call back in about less than a week to come in to do the second interview, got the job right then. I did not wear American apparel.

Interview Questions
    • The questions people were usually asked here, but a lot less questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, minimum wage

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Apparel.

I saw on Craigslist that they were having an Open Call so I attended wearing everything AA (this is important because they judge your outfit if it's not AA). I went there 10 minutes before the time posted and I was 7th in line. It's important to get there early. I went and spoke to the manager and she wasn't really interested in my resume she just asked me questions about my availability and where I was located. She took a picture of me and said she would send it to the headquarters and would call me back if I was approved and had the look. A week went by and I received a phone call for a second interview and she told me to bring 2 forms of id. When I went she told me she was offering the position and I had to sign papers. The second interview wasn't an interview it was a job offer. She didn't ask me any questions. I'm excited to start the job !

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to work at American Apparel and not any other retail store?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Apparel in December 2014.

One will send in their application, resume, and picture of themselves (to demonstrate your personal style) to the district manger and if they're interested, will contact the desired store to send you an email to follow up with that location's manager. Once contacted, the manager will set up an interview. Dress in ALL American Apparel (even shoes) and little to no make up because the brand is all about natural beauty. From there, the manager and possibly the assistant manager will ask you basic questions such as why would you be a good addition to our team and what have you done in the past to convince someone. Be sure that you're informed about the company and what they stand for. Although it is a given, be aware of the clothing that American Apparel sells and be prepared with what your favorite items are.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Apparel.

E-mail application, through which you select location preferences. You'll get the typical employment and educational history questions, followed by a resume with a cover letter. They'll also ask for a "modeling headshot" and photographs showing off your "minimalist style." The online process was a cakewalk, less intense and less professional than other retail positions I've applied to.

Interview Questions
    • None. You can finish this job application in an hour.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Apparel in October 2014.

I saw on craigslist that they were having an open call so I decided to go. I got there and I was the only one who showed up. I'm new to this city and I'm assuming AA isn't a popular store here because if the AA in Atlanta ( where I'm from ) was having an open call the line would be wrapped around the building Lol. So an employee tells the manager I'm here and she comes and leads me to the back. When I got to the back she informed me that she's the district manager which made me 50 billion times more nervous but when we started talking she was really cool and down to earth so all my nervousness went away. She read questions off a list and none were hard at all. She also gave a very basic scenario which wasn't hard either. She seemed fairly impressed with all my answers and said that I said most of her favorite answers. Afterwards she told me that he already hired for Halloween season but to expect a call back afterwards because shell need people for holidays. She asked me to do the online application too so hat shell remember my name and face. I hope I got it!! ,

Interview Questions
    • Why AA?   Answer Question
    • Describe your style in three words.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What role do you play in a group setting?   Answer Question
    • Let's say your checking on people in the fitting room. A girl is looking at herself in the mirror with pants she tried on looking disappointed saying they don't fit. You offer to go get her another size and while your on the way out another person comes up to you and says they need a fitting room and they have a lot of things. What would you do in what order?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Apparel in August 2014.

I originally took my resume to another location and was told by the manager, that there was a upcoming open call in SF. She gave me the information and I went. I arrived 15 minutes before the posted start time and there was two other applicants in front of me. We were given a sign in sheet and after filling that out we were instructed to wait until called in. Once I entered the store I noticed the staff wasn't welcoming at all. I smiled and said hello and never once got a response from any of them. Its a turn off for people who really want to work there, knowing the staff is uptight and rude. I met with the District manager, who was very nice and well dressed I might add. We had a great conversation based on my resume and he also complimented me on my shoes and top. He asked me questions (Why AA? What makes AA stand out? Availability? Location Preference? Previous job experience?) My interview was wonderful compared to what I've seen on sites. He of course wanted to see my sense of style(It is a job in a fashion retail store.) but he also seemed very engaged in what I had on my resume which excited me. He said I had a very good interview and that if they choose me I should receive a call in about a week or so. The interview was very recent and I'm still waiting to hear back, I'm extremely confident I'll get it though. (Also, if you can wear some AA items and really showcase how you'd dress if they gave you the position.)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Apparel.

It was fairly simple. I went to an open call and one of the workers briefly interviewed me. Simple questions, nothing too painstaking. She told me she would send my resumes out to a bunch of AA's in the city and I'll hear from one within a week.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. Just little tidbits about your personal life.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Apparel in June 2014.

I went on their website where they said they were hiring in NYC along with an email. I send my resume along with 2 photos of myself (wearing all AA clothes.) After 2 days, I got an email saying they wanted to meet. The date and place negotiation took awhile and after a week, I went to the interview. I came in wearing all AA and the interview literally lasted 5 minutes. She took me to an empty area of the store and we just stood while she asked me questions. VERY basic questions about availability and location preference along with some small talk about school and where I loved, etc. She said she would email my resume to a supervisor or higher ups. And then I left.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Apparel.

Went to an open call, answered three super basic questions (3 words to describe you, why do you want to work here, and one thing that sets AA apart from other stores.) The interview was about two minutes long. I got offered the position about a week later. There were about 30 other people at the open call but only three were hired as sales associates, and only one was hired as a backstock associate.

no negotiation