American Apparel

Average Difficulty
80 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Apparel in June 2014.

Interview Details – I went on their website where they said they were hiring in NYC along with an email. I send my resume along with 2 photos of myself (wearing all AA clothes.) After 2 days, I got an email saying they wanted to meet. The date and place negotiation took awhile and after a week, I went to the interview. I came in wearing all AA and the interview literally lasted 5 minutes. She took me to an empty area of the store and we just stood while she asked me questions. VERY basic questions about availability and location preference along with some small talk about school and where I loved, etc. She said she would email my resume to a supervisor or higher ups. And then I left.

Interview Question – Why AA?   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at American Apparel in November 2010.

Interview Details – They saw me and were desperate for people to work so they pulled me into the back stock, dressed me in their latest season dress, took my photos and sent them to someone at corporate with my name and availability. 5 minutes later they said I was hired and could start doing my paper work tomorrow.

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to be photographed and hired so quickly.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview Details – It was fairly simple. I went to an open call and one of the workers briefly interviewed me. Simple questions, nothing too painstaking. She told me she would send my resumes out to a bunch of AA's in the city and I'll hear from one within a week.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult questions. Just little tidbits about your personal life.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview Details – Went to an open call, answered three super basic questions (3 words to describe you, why do you want to work here, and one thing that sets AA apart from other stores.) The interview was about two minutes long. I got offered the position about a week later. There were about 30 other people at the open call but only three were hired as sales associates, and only one was hired as a backstock associate.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Interviewed at American Apparel

Interview Details – I was shopping, and the manager noticed that I was wearing all AA, so she asked if I was interested in a job... A few days later, we set up an interview and voila, I got the job!

Interview Question – Most of the questions were simple and straightforward: i.e. How would you describe your personal style? Why AA? etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Apparel in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called within a week to come in for an interview. It was somewhat short notice, about 3 days before the interview day. I came 15 minutes early. To my surprise, it was a group interview, but only one girl showed up. The interview was done outside (it was a nice sunny day). Two people interviewed us: the manager and back stock leader(?) It was about 30 minutes long. I came prepared and practiced my answers for questions like "Why American Apparel?" and "How would you describe your style? American Apparel's style? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What were your previous job's duties? What is your greatest achievement?" and other basic questions. I felt confident after leaving the interview. The following day I called the manager and thanked him for his time and told him I was very serious about the position and that he should really consider me. He sounded pleased and told me that I would be hearing from him "very soon"..

A week after the interview, I had not received a call and decided to call the store and check up on the process. The manager told me that his last interview would be done that day and he had to look through some more applications. I didn't want to annoy him so I ended it short and sweet.

About another week goes by and finally I get a call back. They told me to come in for a second interview the next day. This interview was done with the assistant manager. She basically asked me the same question "Why American Apparel?" and a lot of situational questions. The interview was pretty relaxed and the assistant manager was super nice and chill. She even told me that I did great with the interview and seemed very confident. I felt pretty good when she said that. I ask for an email and she gives me the store card with the email on it. As soon as I get home, I send a thank you email. Not sure if they even received it or not because they never replied...

ANOTHER week goes by with no call. I decide to stop by the store since it's less than 5 minutes away from my school. I talk to the manager to check up on the process (yet again) and he tells me that they still have some interviews that day and I would be hearing from them "very soon" (again lol)..

Overall, this process has been pretty long and stressful. I'm really not sure if I'm going to get the job at this point. I am in the middle of applying at Aritzia and meeting with their manager so I'm hoping I'll get hired there. Anyway.. It seems to me like my process has been a lot longer than other people for American Apparel.

*Oh by the way, at my first interview the manager complemented my shoes. They were velvet loafers. And my whole outfit was American Apparel. MAKE SURE YOU ARE WEARING AMERICAN APPAREL. I don't care what anyone else says. It will be a GREAT advantage to you. Trust me.

Interview Question – Greatest accomplishment? What would you do if a customer came in and wanted to purchase their items in all pennies and coins?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't really get an offer yet but I'm still waiting..

Interviewed at American Apparel

Interview Details – I applied online and got sent an email back with an interview date. I showed up on time making sure to look clean and I would say it also helps if you wear at least one of their products. So they asked me some simple questions and said they would call me with their decision.

Interview Question – What makes you a better worker than the next?   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview Details – After reading a lot of reviews online about the interview process, I was pretty terrified. It seemed by the reviews that they simply take a photo of you and judge heavily on looks. That wasn't my experience at all. I could tell they cared about how you dress/look - but they were very kind and friendly. The process took about two days. I applied online and a few days later got a call for the store manager asking me to come in for an Open Call. I went, talked with three employees, it was a super chill and casual conversation. No picture were taken. The next day I got a call saying I got the job.

Interview Question – "Why do you want to work for American Apparel?"   Answer Question

Round Rock, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Apparel in November 2012.

Interview Details – The process began when I was shopping at American Apparel and happened to be wearing an all American Apparel outfit. The cashier asked if I would be interested in a job, and gave me her card. I emailed her and an interview was set up. I interviewed with three managers. The interview was not too difficult, just a bit intimidating because there were three people there.

Interview Question – Give three adjectives to describe your personal style.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at American Apparel in September 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume, cover letter, and two photos of myself to the hiring email address. I was contacted within a week to meet for an in-store interview. The interviewer was a half hour late. The interview was very short and casual. The interviewer asked me how many days a week I was available, if I had work experience, and where I wanted to work. She took a picture of me, I presume to send to several store managers. I was called the next day by a store manager saying I was hired and needed to come in and fill out paperwork if I wanted to fill the position.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at American Apparel?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Apparel

Worked for American Apparel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Apparel Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 80 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Apparel employees and interview candidates.