American Automobile Association (AAA) Member Travel Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2014
Updated Mar 22, 2014

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) in March 2014.

The first step was to fill out an application online, which was pretty basic. It did not include any of those tedious personality quizzes, thank goodness. After a couple of days, I also dropped off a resume in person at one of the locations in my city. The woman who I spoke with said it'd be about two weeks until they started calling people for interviews, and sure enough, I received a call about two weeks later. I scheduled an interview, and was interviewed a few days later by three very sweet managers. Their questions were not too difficult, and they took every step to ensure that I was comfortable during the interview. I ended up interviewing for an hour! By far one of the more personable panels I have been interviewed by.

Interview Questions
  • None of the questions were all that difficult. Most were customer service or personality oriented, and none were very technical at all.   Answer Question
I did not negotiate and was offered $11/hour for a Member Travel Counselor position.

Other Interview Reviews for American Automobile Association (AAA)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Renton, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) in June 2011.

I got 2 calls from different locations from the managers after calling them several times. It is easy to get ahold of the hiring manager, but they are rediculous. I applied 2 times to the same locations when they were hiring, and I couldn't get hired or an interview simply because of the commute of from where I lived. A 30 minute commute is apparently too far. After aboput 15 minutes of trying to persuade the manader that it didn't matter how far I lived, I would find a way of getting there and that should not be her main concern, I decided there were probably bigger problems I'd have with her in the future. NOT WORTH IT.

This position is underpaid anyways.

Interview Questions
    • Don't you live on the east side? Isn't that too far of a commute? And wouldn't you want to transfer? That is why I am not going through with your application.   View Answer

Member Travel Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) in February 2012.

They loved my resume, Said I was an ideal candidate for one of the three openings. I went in to fill out a formal application and take their "assessment tests" that were supposed to take 3 hours. When completed, the computer deemed me incompatible with the company and thanked me for my time, saying I could apply again after 6 months.

Afterwords, when I told the manager I failed, she was shocked. She said with my 25+ years of travel experience I should have passed. She asked if the questions were travel related. I told her no. They had nothing to do with job knowledge. I asked her if she had ever taken the test. She said no they won't let employees take it. She thanked me for coming in and said she would email me. When I got to the car I remembered why I failed. Someone once told me on these types of tests that have choices of strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree or strongly agree, you need to stress strongly never neutral. I am confident and very sales oriented. I'm comfortable working in groups or independently. After 25+ years in the same industry with glowing letters of recomendation, you would think they would have hired me on the spot! This friend also told me that people who have owned their own businesses or who are used to working independently, which is what travel agents do.......within the confinements of an agency, usually don't do well on their tests. Then how can they give such a test that really doesn't apply to the position. Don't know if I should be offended, or happy that I didn't fit in their little box.

The worst part is you can't get the results of the online tests so you have no idea what they didn't like or didn't feel was a fit. And the manager has no idea what the tests consist of. Therefore I think my friend was right. Strongly agree or disagree, and don't be independent. There were lots of questions about working independently without supervision. Travel agents work independently!!!! I said I was comfortable working independently.

Stumped by this one!

Interview Questions

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!