American Bar Association

7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Rule of Law Index Fall, World Justice Project Interview

Rule of Law Index Fall, World Justice Project

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at American Bar Association in September 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by by email by ROL Index Research Assistant for World Justice Project. Interviewed one week later at ABA office in DC. Was interviewed by ROL assistant/associate team it seemed: 3 people - research assistant, program assistant, and another assistant, possibly also a research assistant. Interview was one hour long.

Interview Question – Program assistant took lead of interview and asked very specific questions about my resume. In retrospect, I appreciate it because it was serious interview practice. A test in 'knowing your resume.' Listing something isn't enough - you need to know specifics of the work you did in each position (names of projects, etc.).   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Bar Association in May 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty Painless interview process, initial interview with HR and then hiring manager. Second interview and testing from hiring manager.

Interview Question – Standard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set ranges for salaries, experience put me on high end.

Relationship Specialist Interview

Relationship Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Bar Association in September 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for the position in maybe June or July of 2009. Interviewed with the Section Chair in September of 2009. The interview lasted for about an hour. Received a phone call from someone from HR asking if it was okay to have my references checked. Was offered the position the next day.

Management Interview

Management

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at American Bar Association.

Interview Details – Working with HR can be a bit challenging. It isn't unusual for HR to not be on the same page as the hiring entity. General phone screen, in-person interview with recruiter, followed by interview with hiring entity. Every interview with the hiring entity is different. The initial questions are simple and basic.

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Bar Association in April 2012.

Interview Details – I first had a brief phone interview with HR based in Chicago. I was then scheduled an in person interview.

I began the interview process with a 1:1 on a Monday. I met with one lawyer who seemed very professional and knowledgeable. She asked me general questions about my experience, specific tasks that I had done that would apply to the job and asked me what I hoped to gain from the position. She also asked me about my newsletter skills, web design skills, and writing skills. Very informative and pleasant interview. She informed me that it would be a position that needed to be held for at least 2 years. She told me she would let me know by the end of the following week.

I received a call from the HR person based in Chicago on Tuesday, asking for another interview with the two other lawyers that I would be supporting. I came in the next day on Wednesday, and again, I was asked questions about my experience, specific programs that I had worked on, what strategies I could contribute to their work etc. I brought in examples of flyers that I had done for events which they appreciated and kept. They said they would be in touch by the end of the week (Thursday/Friday).

On Thursday at 2:30pm, the HR lady in Chicago informed me that they wanted to offer me the position, and that I needed to get back to them the following day, Friday, by noon. Seeing as I was given less than 24 hours to make a decision, I attempted to ask for a week extension to make this important decision. I was denied, even when I asked the weekend to decide, and again pressured to make a decision. I told the lady that I would get back to her the following day by noon as originally planned.

She then called at 5:30pm and informed me that after a conversation with the first lawyer, that they decided to rescind the offer. I had no background check, no nasty e-mails exchanged, nothing that I could think of that would cause them to rescind an offer in less than 5 hours. I can only guess hat it was my hesitation to make such an important decision in less than 24 hours. I have come away from this experience with an extremely negative impression of HR and the hiring lawyers of ABA.

I only tell my story to caution potential applicants of the unprofessional and rude behavior. I do not know what made them change their mind in such a short amount of time, but if this is how an employer treats their potential employees, I am not sure that I would want to work in such a hostile environment.

Interview Question – What about your internships that you did not enjoy?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – HR/lawyers handled job offer in an unprofessional way, representing ABA in a negative light.

Membership and Marketing Interview

Membership and Marketing
Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Bar Association in October 2011.

Interview Details – Received a call form the HR Manager and then came in for an interview and spent one-on-one time with the HR Manager and then met with the Hiring Manager. Both were very nice and asked many general interview questions and then of course more about my current job and why I wanted to work for the ABA and a non-profit company.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for a non-profit company?   View Answer

Country Directior Interview

Country Directior

Interviewed at American Bar Association

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was very proffessional.

Interview Question – My weaknesses. I have never known what the most apropriate answer to this question is   Answer Question

Worked for American Bar Association? Contribute to the Community!