American Bureau of Shipping

Updated Oct 1, 2014
Updated Oct 1, 2014

2.6

Engineer II Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping.

The interview process will be different for each department.
    I was interviewed by the department director and two Managing Principal Engineers. There was only one interview, which was followed by an offer.
    The three men asked several questions that were border-line inappropriate; particularly regarding my marital status, intention to have children and where I "am from".
    There were also questions about why I would want to work at ABS, and I was given a real guilt trip about committing to the company "for life."
    The interviewers kept stressing that the good work (ensuring the safety of vessels) that ABS employees are responsible for makes up for the lower pay.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any family here or kids in school that will keep you in the area?   Answer Question
    The compensation offered was considerably lower than what I expected, and what is normal in the area for my background. I countered with details and negotiated a slightly higher salary.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in February 2013.

Firstly they will call you over the phone. After some routine questions the HR will setup an onsite interview if you're in Houston, or a formal phone interview if you're not in Houston. Then I got only one round on-site interview which is focus on both technical and behavior aspects of the applicant. Basically not much special questions would be asked, and it's more like a common chat with your boss. You will be taken to see the other members of the group after the interview.

Interview Questions
    What's the salary you expect?

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in January 2013.

First I sent my resume through LinkedIn to a HR and she forwarded my resume to the Principal manager, who left his role and moved to other office in the same company later. Then I got a call from HR and briefly introduced the opening in the OED department. Then they scheduled an on-site interview in the Houston office that is on Northchase dr. The interview is pretty simple and straight forward. Asked several questions related to my field of study, the load flow and some other basic electrical engineering questions. And some questions about my personality after that. And that's it. My hobbies something like that.

Interview Questions
    • The load analysis. I only know load flow but have no idea of load analysis.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Just a phone call said they liked me and would like to offer the job for 68000 annually.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping.

The hring process rests heavily on the opinion of the functional manager. This means be most prepared to discuss the role for which you are applying.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated salary but it was fair.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in December 2010.

They didn't tell me all at one time what they needed from me. First it was high school and college transcripts, then later they wanted references, then i'm told to get a drug test. I had two interviews, one interview was with the peers I would be working with. They pretty much told me that I will be criticized by who we report to.
    By the way they worded it, the message was loud and clear. But, I needed a job. They could not come up with any pros except that sometimes their is, "food, cake, and treats left in the kitchen for anyone to eat."

The interview with who I would be reporting to was a red flag. She was all over the place, jumping on the computer, then to the phone, then back to me. I felt like the interviewer talked so fast, didn't focus on describing to me the details of the job clearly, jumping from subject to subject without fully explaining anything.

I also felt that the interviewer was so eager to get the interview over with that when I left I felt like it was a 1 hour interview squeezed into 10 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions I was asked was all of them. The reason being, is because the questions were all so vague. When I did start to answer a question, I was cut off and another topic began.   Answer Question
    They were not even open to negotiating anything. It was their way or the highway. But, I needed a job.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in March 2010.

A friendly interview. Behaviorally based questions focused on the job requirements. Good explanation of the company and industry relevancy. Allowed dialogue and questions from myself. Appropriate time and duration. Convenient parking

I don't remember

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in May 2009.

Typical hiring process. Couple of telephonic interviews followed by face to face technical interviews. Expect lot of grilling in face to face technical interview. Lot of technical questions, especially from databases and middle ware but depending on nature of the job really. My face to face interview went on for at least an hour.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in May 2009.

Headhunters recruited me, it was an easy process.

Interview Questions
    They recruited me, so there really was no negotiation

Marine Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Bureau of Shipping.

Generally works by referal.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in January 2014.

communicated through agency. asked for expected salary? why I need higher salary.
    There were two people, one from HR and one the Head of the department