American Cancer Society

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details – Set up interview via email. I was called by interviewer and asked a number of questions. Interview was recorded.

Interview Question – Difficult questions about how one motivates others and about cultural issues and motivation   Answer Question

Community Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview Details – Had to go through 6 interviews before I got the job

Interview Question – Give a sales pitch on the spot   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none

East Lansing, MI

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details – Phone Interview followed by an personality test. Afterwards a panel interview with 3 managers. Mostly situational questions.

Interview Question – Event Creation Scenario Questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in May 2008.

Interview Details – Single interview. Very easy, simple questions like why I wanted to work there, did I have a connection to cancer, event planning experience, etc.

Interview Question – Do you have a personal connection to cancer? (this can be emotional, but it is important for this company and they like to hire people who do have connections because they are often more driven.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was available.

Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online in January. Did not hear anything for 4 months. Got a call to say I was one of the 4 candidates chosen to have f2f. No phone screen, straight to interview with very little lead time. Interviewed with director and senior rep (1 hour each). Great emphasis on the mission and that you do this job for 'feeling good about what you do' translation, we don't pay well. Salary is low and hours are long. With role expectations, this should pay better.

Interview Question – Standard questions. Tell me about a time when... None were anything I had not heard before.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary too low. I literally could not live off what they were offering. No room for negotiation.

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details – Phone interview: asking questions about my past experiences in resume and some behavioral questions about how to handle volunteers and new event managers

Interview Question – When you have conflicts with a new event chair   Answer Question

Community Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview first that served as a "screening" process.

I was then asked to complete an online assessment test. It included personality type questions, as well as word definitions and math problems. It was fairly challenging given the length of time it has been since I have had to solve algebra equations.

I was invited to interview at ACS with the Area Director. I was told I was one of three candidates being interviewed for the position. This interview was fairly general and asked questions based on my responses from my application and online assessment.

I was then invited back for a second interview with the same Area Director and another ACS administrator. This interview focused on the program for which the position would be fundraising, Relay for Life. The majority of questions were about fundraising and recruiting participants. I was told that there were still three candidates in the running, so I assume that everyone was invited back for the second interview.

A few days later, I received a phone call to notify my that I was not selected for the position. In my opinion, it was an issue that I would be relocating for the position with ACS, as I was asked about my plans to move numerous times. I believe the other candidates were already living in the area.

All in all, it was a positive experience, and I would apply for a position with ACS if one was available in the future.

Interview Question – How would you recruit sponsors for Relay for Life?   Answer Question

Community Representative

The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by an HR representative to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was held with an HR representative who went through the typical behavioral questions. Starting with "tell me about yourself", leading into questions such as "tell me about your fundraising experience", "tell me about a tie when you worked with volunteers", "tell me about a time you had difficulty with volunteers", etc.

The questions were pretty standard and not too difficult. I could tell that the woman that interviewed me was reading the questions off of a paper, and could hear her typing about my answers. She wasn't very kind and I didn't think she liked me. But to my surprise, a few days later I was offered a face to face interview.

I had to travel 8 hours for the interview (no expenses are paid for you), and interviewed by two ACS managers in the city where the job was. The interview was very informal, less standardized questions; it felt like more of a conversation than an interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you tried to be a leader and couldn't gain "advocacy" from others?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Although I enjoyed the interview and people I would be working with, the salary offer was very low for how much work would go into the position. They told me that there are many weeks where you work 50+ hours, at least 4 nights a month where you are expected to stay late for meetings, etc. With the salary being so low, not being reimbursed for the move, and not great benefits, I decided to keep looking.

Community Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied directly online to their website and was emailed approximately 2 weeks later. Via email, the initial person and I scheduled an appointment to do a phone interview/screening. She asked basic questions: why I was interested in ACS, how I feel about cold calling, experience in recruiting clients and volunteers, and why I was leaving current position. The next day, I received a call from the director of the region I would be working in and set up a 1:1 interview/group interview for two days later. At this interview, it seemed a lot more informal and can't remember being asked anything too difficult, did have to fill out another application and release to have background, credit and education check. I mentioned in the interview that I knew I had the skills, just wanted to know if I would "fit" in. We wound up talking about family, hobbies and pets. I definitely feel like I would fit into the culture of the company. Both people who interviewed me were "beautiful" people so that was honestly more intimidating than the questions. This was recently, so I am still awaiting my offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you recruit volunteers and/or clients to use ACS services?   View Answer
  • Why did you apply to this position?   Answer Question
  • At your current position, how do you know what goal to accomplish and how do you accomplish your goals?   Answer Question

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!